Credit card/united air miles

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BanquetBeer

Credit card/united air miles

Post by BanquetBeer »

I got 100k points I can convert to 100k miles or $1,000.

Got maybe 400k miles and will probably try for another business round trip with the SO. Recently with the way finances are I’m worried that United May have financial trouble eliminating the airline points.

Would you Take the gash, go for miles? Think I cost of the card/points came out around $300
whodidntante

Re: Credit card/united air miles

Post by whodidntante »

If you are reasonably good at getting more than 1 cent per point from United miles, and you have a plan to do so soon, take the miles. I don't think it's wise to amass "points" where the grantor can devalue them at any time, as United has already done. So if you don't have any kind of plan to extract value, I would reduce risk and take the cash, especially given the worthlessness of an American passport now and the flight cuts that United has already made.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Take the cash. How can you do that, by the way? I have 60,000+ miles sitting at United because of a COVID-related European trip cancellation last spring, and I'd love to turn them into cash. I've already converted my transferable points at Chase into cash, but I didn't realize that there was a way to convert airline miles into cash.
Topic Author
BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer »

These are chase ultimate reward points so I can transfer to United 1:1 or take cash.

I was leaning towards the cash but hope 400k points will be enough for 2 business class tickets somewhere (think we want to try Asia). Just don’t know if we should book now for next fall.

I’m about to find out if the business and personal card sign up bonus block each other. Last I heard they did not.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BanquetBeer wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:28 am These are chase ultimate reward points so I can transfer to United 1:1 or take cash.

I was leaning towards the cash but hope 400k points will be enough for 2 business class tickets somewhere (think we want to try Asia). Just don’t know if we should book now for next fall.

I’m about to find out if the business and personal card sign up bonus block each other. Last I heard they did not.
I would try to use the Chase UR pts for something else. I Assume you have the Sapphire Reserve or Preferred card. I would try to use the Pay Yourself Back feature for statement credits on groceries, home improvement stores, dining out/food delivery. You can also get some gift cards 10% off (with Sapphire Preferred, it might be more with Sapphire Reserve).

I have about 500k Chase UR pts and I am trying to find ways to use them at a higher ROR than just 1 pt for 1 cent, which is the rate you get for converting to cash. I had been amassing points for a big trip, but have doubts that will happen until 2022.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am
BanquetBeer wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:28 am These are chase ultimate reward points so I can transfer to United 1:1 or take cash.

I would try to use the Chase UR pts for something else. I Assume you have the Sapphire Reserve or Preferred card. I would try to use the Pay Yourself Back feature for statement credits on groceries, home improvement stores, dining out/food delivery. You can also get some gift cards 10% off (with Sapphire Preferred, it might be more with Sapphire Reserve).

I have about 500k Chase UR pts and I am trying to find ways to use them at a higher ROR than just 1 pt for 1 cent, which is the rate you get for converting to cash. I had been amassing points for a big trip, but have doubts that will happen until 2022.
If you are willing to trade the points this is likely to be far better than transferring them to United for a future trip. 100,000 points will get you $1,500 in statement credits against certain purchases (I believe the look back period on the creditable charges is/was 90 days). That’s the same as $1,500 in cash back.

I myself used the pay yourself back feature for a similar total of points in two transactions this summer.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

Chase Ultimate Rewards points have no tie to the finances of United airlines. They're a currency of Chase bank.

If you're worried about Chase going under, well...you might have bigger things to adjust than your points.

I'd keep the Chase points in your Chase account. If you decide to travel later you may get more than the 1 cent per point cash value. Remember other partners too like Southwest and Hyatt, and using the points for travel on the Chase site is worth more than 1 cent- the 1.5 cent example above.

Separately as for United miles themselves...they recently raised a bunch of money on the back of the value of the miles. Basically unless United stops flying altogether (chapter 7, not chapter 11) the miles have a pre-set structure to have value on United flights.