Page 1 of 2

what is your side job and income?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm
by bo105954027
I'm doing a very stable 9-5 job. Duty is light. Earn is OK. Location is near home. 401K and Roth IRA contributions are all set. I have ample time and energy left after work.

Now I'm considering some side job/income. I wonder what bogleheads are conducting on side, and would like to learn some ideas. Thanks~

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm
by tibbitts
bo105954027 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm I'm doing a very stable 9-5 job. Duty is light. Earn is OK. Location is near home. 401K and Roth IRA contributions are all set. I have ample time and energy left after work.

Now I'm considering some side job/income. I wonder what bogleheads are conducting on side, and would like to learn some ideas. Thanks~
My side job is pointing Bogleheads to the forum search box, where they'll find lots of threads like this one:

viewtopic.php?t=282559

Unfortunately this pays me nothing.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:53 pm
by Workinprogress
My side job is pointing Bogleheads to the forum search box, where they'll find lots of threads like this one:

viewtopic.php?t=282559

Unfortunately this pays me nothing.
But on the other hand, you are very successful at it. :beer

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:29 pm
by Tracker968
Consulting mechanical engineer, $100/hr.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:52 pm
by novemberrain
Reading Bogleheads extensively :) This side hustle Income is pretty high in terms of stupid decisions avoided :)

Seriously though. I think I have a better return on investment of my time if I focus on my regular work and aim to increase my job income over time.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 pm
by Artful Dodger
I'm in sales, so usually the best option for me is to spend more time on my principal job. But, I'm 66 now, and cutting back, and with all the talk about needing more election workers, I volunteered to be an election judge this year. I'd rather be one of the judges going through the mail in / absentee ballots, but they're wanting people who can work four days a week, and that's too much. They may use me for mail in for a few days a week, but most likely just on election day. They pay $25 an hour.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 pm
by quantAndHold
Artful Dodger wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 pm I'm in sales, so usually the best option for me is to spend more time on my principal job. But, I'm 66 now, and cutting back, and with all the talk about needing more election workers, I volunteered to be an election judge this year. I'd rather be one of the judges going through the mail in / absentee ballots, but they're wanting people who can work four days a week, and that's too much. They may use me for mail in for a few days a week, but most likely just on election day. They pay $25 an hour.
I looked at that. Here, they want people who are available for a month. A week of training, then the polls are going to be open for four days, and a couple of weeks for counting things. For $20/hour. I decided to leave it to people who needed the money more than I do.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 pm
by Silverado
Some folks at work have lawn / snow as a side. Wage employees, out at 3 which really helps during grass season. Not sure how they do the snow work.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm
by jackb1117
University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:20 pm
by jackb1117
And bank / credit card bonuses & churning. ~$5k/yr. Also not going to make me rich, but I enjoy clawing back more from them than they did from me while I was financially illiterate.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 am
by Jonbuck
I teach at a Community College on the side. I enjoy it and it brings in some side income and gives me access to a Defined Contribution plan and the option of a 457.

I also spent some time as a Substitute teacher in my community before my current side job. The pay wasn't great as a substitute, but it was extremely flexible and gave me the opportunity to decide when I wanted to teach or not teach.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
by aristotelian
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 am
by av111
We manage our rental property portfolio as a side gig. Takes a few hours every quarter outside of the W2 time (9 to 5 weekday). ROCE is 12% to 15% annual for our portfolio (not counting appreciation)

In an upcoming capital event, we may be taking out 1.3x of the invested capital with 0 tax liability. $ returns are going to drop 33% but since the capital employed will become negative, not sure how to calculate the ROCE after the event.

Disclaimer - Not easy to replicate in most areas now because housing market is crazy hot. It makes money only if you buy low. Something to check out if economy ever goes south for a while

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am
by basspond
Mainly DIY projects, volunteering, and serving on a local board of directors. Maybe $300 a month but you can't put a dollar figure on personal growth and well being.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 am
by jackb1117
Analytics is the field. HCOL area, large private university, part of union probably all contribute to elevated wages.
aristotelian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am
by tennisplyr
Don't have one but I guess you can look for some freelance work in your field.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:01 am
by CyclingDuo
bo105954027 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm I'm doing a very stable 9-5 job. Duty is light. Earn is OK. Location is near home. 401K and Roth IRA contributions are all set. I have ample time and energy left after work.

Now I'm considering some side job/income. I wonder what bogleheads are conducting on side, and would like to learn some ideas. Thanks~
What are your skillsets? Are you looking for something within your skillsets, something mindless, something physical, etc...?

Obviously, it has to fit within weekday evenings and weekends, so that helps direct you regarding hours and types of things you could do.

Cycling Duo

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am
by sjl333
Contractor, paid OT at 1.5x , unlimited OT for the foreseeable future. Working 10-20 hours additional every week. 20 hours is getting hard to sustain and burning out so hitting 10-15 additional hours every week.

OT income is netting me an additional 10,000-15000 every month, pretax.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm
by stoptothink
aristotelian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.
I was doing the same thing (1 class per semester) and was making ~$8k/yr. Stopped in December '18. I'd consider putting up with all the political nonsense again for $25k.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 pm
by jackb1117
I will caveat this by saying that I have only been doing this for 2.5 years, but I show up & do a good job teaching but ignore everything else which makes it a really great side gig.

Emails from administration about whatever? Unread. 'Town hall meetings about such and such'? Sorry, day job has me busy. If someone from the University asks me something directly I respond, but ignore the rest. Safe to assume no tenure in my future :D , but I'm happy with the arrangement :sharebeer :moneybag

Highly unlikely that I would put forth the same effort for $8k/yr. Heck I took a sabbatical this semester bc the University is planning on doing in person classes (for however long that lasts).

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm
aristotelian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.
I was doing the same thing (1 class per semester) and was making ~$8k/yr. Stopped in December '18. I'd consider putting up with all the political nonsense again for $25k.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 pm
by tibbitts
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm
aristotelian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.
I was doing the same thing (1 class per semester) and was making ~$8k/yr. Stopped in December '18. I'd consider putting up with all the political nonsense again for $25k.
I believe your $8k is roughly normal, at least for teaching undergrad classes that I'm familiar with. I've never heard of anything close to $25k, although I could see that might happen for some graduate programs (medicine, law.)

I don't do adjunct teaching now but someone I know does, and the work load has increased with having to provide not just the in-person classes but also separate online content. It seems it's almost like teaching two courses for the price of one. Many schools seem to have been changing online delivery platforms as well so there's a learning curve.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:36 pm
by stoptothink
tibbitts wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm
aristotelian wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am
jackb1117 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm University adjunct. ~$25k/yr teaching 1 course per semester year round. Not gonna make me rich but I enjoy it.
Wow, what field? In mine the norm for adjuncting is more like $3k.
I was doing the same thing (1 class per semester) and was making ~$8k/yr. Stopped in December '18. I'd consider putting up with all the political nonsense again for $25k.
I believe your $8k is roughly normal, at least for teaching undergrad classes that I'm familiar with. I've never heard of anything close to $25k, although I could see that might happen for some graduate programs (medicine, law.)

I don't do adjunct teaching now but someone I know does, and the work load has increased with having to provide not just the in-person classes but also separate online content. It seems it's almost like teaching two courses for the price of one. Many schools seem to have been changing online delivery platforms as well so there's a learning curve.
I have 2 employees, an uncle, a neighbor, and 4 friends that are teaching adjunct at one of 3 local universities. I think every single one of them has said this is their final semester if this is the future. My neighbor teaches an undergrad math class with 600+ students and he is required to physically drive to campus and do a live zoom lecture, from basically a closet, twice a week.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm
by Thegame14
I do Facebook Advertising Management. I have 1 recurring client, but hoping to add 2 more and then re-invest in the business to grow to a 10K per month agency at some point.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 pm
by DonIce
bo105954027 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm I'm doing a very stable 9-5 job. Duty is light. Earn is OK. Location is near home. 401K and Roth IRA contributions are all set. I have ample time and energy left after work.

Now I'm considering some side job/income. I wonder what bogleheads are conducting on side, and would like to learn some ideas. Thanks~
Much easier to progress in your main career and make more money that way than do a side job. If "duty is light", if you work a bit harder you can blow away the expectations set for you and advance...

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 am
by wmackey
Similar to jackb1117, Adjunct Professor 1 course per semester ~ 25K. May pick up another course that could bring me to 32.5K. It is Grad School at a larger university in a very specialized program. School originally reached out to my old company looking for someone with the right experience and the appropriate credentials. Definitely a case of right time and right place. Used to teach at a community college and it was more like 3k (or less) per course.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 am
by AerialWombat
I write non-fiction books and self-publish them on Amazon. It’s enough most months to pay the mortgage on my primary residence. If you’re an expert in a particular field, with a big enough potential audience, it’s not really that hard to generate an extra few hundred a month. If you are a specialized expert in a narrow field and write the authoritative reference tome that sells for textbook level price, then you can eek out a living from self-publishing.

For those of you that are professors, this could be a decent alternative or bonus thing for you. Seems like a natural fit.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm
by beernutz
I work at a university and when my colleages retire or leave I resell their textbooks. Most of them but especially retirees don't want to take their old books with them so they are put in a common area. I learned more than a decade ago how valuable these books were so I go through them as soon as they're put on display.

My record is $1,850 in buybacks from one retired professor. I sold back $525 last week from another retired instructor and I've sold probably $2,000 a year on average for the last 10 years. Considering how few retirements we have and how little I have to work to sell these books I've probably made about $300 per hour worked. The $525 I made last week was for 15 books sold to 4 different book buyers and probably took me an hour and half including price lookup, packing, and shipping (the FedEx/UPS drop is halfway between my home and office).

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:09 pm
by Isabelle77
I do some copywriting mostly for non-profits. I'm a stay at home mom and started volunteering when my youngest went to school and fell into writing copy. I make very little, a few hundred on average a month.

My husband does voiceover work. He's made as little as 10k a year and as much as maybe 50K...I can't remember exactly. He averages around 25k a year, although one of his largest clients is a cruise company, so this year hasn't been great :) He's in marketing and just stood in for a vo actor during a strike, and it grew from there.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:33 pm
by infotrader
I worked as an adjunct at a local community college for about 10 years. 40k a year with pension.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm
by BV3273
Been thinking about becoming an adjunct for years. You people made me take the leap.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 pm
by flyingcows
I have never had a side job where I am paid for services rendered, but I usually have some kind of personal side project I'm working on. Examples:

Web Apps (free to use, Ad supported)
Mobile Apps (free to use, pay to unlock some features)
YouTube Channel (just started this recently, not monetized yet)

In each case, creating the "product" is the easy part, the marketing aspect of building a user base and audience is the real challenge

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:53 pm
by matti
For the past five years, I've been buying and selling concert tickets on the side. This made me about $12-$18k/year. However, I didn't do it this year due to COVID.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:54 pm
by maroon
This is such an interesting topic!

My current side job is contributing to a website. I'd been contributing content for some time and eventually was offered a paid position. I work the part-time hours/schedule I want, and earn a decent amount for a hobby but not enough to live on. My side job is more fun than my regular job, but my regular job pays the bills.

I'd also like to try self-publishing a how-to book. I have a wealth of experience in a specialized field and think people might be willing to pay for this expertise. But the publishing process seems daunting, as I'm not super tech savvy. (If anyone has suggestions for a training book/class/reference, I'd appreciate a PM.)

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am
by mgullo
Are you looking for more money, the ability to sharpen or develop your skills/abilities, or for an opportunity to have fun and create memories?

I worked ballpark operations/security for a MLB team in the Midwest for a few years. Didn’t make a bunch of money, a few thousand a season. But I made some great friends, saw hundreds of games and dozens concerts, worked in the stands and on the field/bullpen, and even earned myself a World Series ring. It was a great side-gig. Now my full time job takes up too much time and I can no longer work there.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am
by aristotelian
BV3273 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm Been thinking about becoming an adjunct for years. You people made me take the leap.
All this time I thought adjuncts were an oppressed group. Turns out they are doing quite well.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 am
by 4nursebee
I'm not willing to share that info.
I don't think you should do what I do.
Discover your own interests.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:57 am
by stoptothink
aristotelian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am
BV3273 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm Been thinking about becoming an adjunct for years. You people made me take the leap.
All this time I thought adjuncts were an oppressed group. Turns out they are doing quite well.
Pay in academia varies dramatically. Adjunct at the 3 universities close to me is about minimum wage when everything is considered, which is probably a major factor in why my area has among the lowest tuition costs in the country.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am
by tibbitts
It occurs to me that the title of the post is interesting: it sort of implies that any Boglehead would just naturally have a side job.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 am
by matti
mgullo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am Are you looking for more money, the ability to sharpen or develop your skills/abilities, or for an opportunity to have fun and create memories?

I worked ballpark operations/security for a MLB team in the Midwest for a few years. Didn’t make a bunch of money, a few thousand a season. But I made some great friends, saw hundreds of games and dozens concerts, worked in the stands and on the field/bullpen, and even earned myself a World Series ring. It was a great side-gig. Now my full time job takes up too much time and I can no longer work there.
That sounds interesting. What were some of the specific things you were responsible for? Did you see any cool concerts?

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 am
by abuss368
I have thought about it over the years. Right now the focus is on building and maximizing my career and continuing to building a passive income stream of dividends from total market index funds.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am
by surfstar
none and $0

I don't like working - why would I spend more time doing something I don't like? Find a hobby. If you must have a "side hustle" (the connotations of that term irk me) - find a hobby that might turn a profit or at least break even.

Remember, just because some blog or instagram past proclaims about someone's side hustle, doesn't mean you need one.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 am
by quantAndHold
aristotelian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am
BV3273 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm Been thinking about becoming an adjunct for years. You people made me take the leap.
All this time I thought adjuncts were an oppressed group. Turns out they are doing quite well.
They are an oppressed group if you’re trying to make a living at it. As a side job, though, it’s not terrible. I show up, teach, go home. Every once in awhile they threaten to fire me for not attending some useless meeting or doing some mandatory training. I laugh, because I don’t need the job and I know how much trouble they had finding me.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm
by Thrifty Femme
maroon wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:54 pm This is such an interesting topic!

My current side job is contributing to a website. I'd been contributing content for some time and eventually was offered a paid position. I work the part-time hours/schedule I want, and earn a decent amount for a hobby but not enough to live on. My side job is more fun than my regular job, but my regular job pays the bills.

I'd also like to try self-publishing a how-to book. I have a wealth of experience in a specialized field and think people might be willing to pay for this expertise. But the publishing process seems daunting, as I'm not super tech savvy. (If anyone has suggestions for a training book/class/reference, I'd appreciate a PM.)
There's a recent thread in the non investing forum on self publishing on Amazon's platform.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm
by GlennK
aristotelian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 am
BV3273 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:15 pm Been thinking about becoming an adjunct for years. You people made me take the leap.
All this time I thought adjuncts were an oppressed group. Turns out they are doing quite well.
I would definitely look around your area before changing your mind. I've been teaching freshman level Math at a local university for 7 years. Also teach tennis every spring. I get about $3200 per semester for a 3 credit hour course. The first time I teach any course, I feel I am working for less than minimum wage. But any semesters after that is a breeze.

Those that try to make a living at it (i.e. teach at 2 or 3 universities/community colleges in the area) complain about all the work/no benefits.

I chose NOT to teach this semester because it was all online/remote. My main joy in teaching is interacting with the students. I am hoping the university returns to normal soon as I am being forced to retire and can pick up a second class.

And if anyone can find me one that pays $25k per year, please let me know. :)

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm
by mgullo
matti wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 am
mgullo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am Are you looking for more money, the ability to sharpen or develop your skills/abilities, or for an opportunity to have fun and create memories?

I worked ballpark operations/security for a MLB team in the Midwest for a few years. Didn’t make a bunch of money, a few thousand a season. But I made some great friends, saw hundreds of games and dozens concerts, worked in the stands and on the field/bullpen, and even earned myself a World Series ring. It was a great side-gig. Now my full time job takes up too much time and I can no longer work there.
That sounds interesting. What were some of the specific things you were responsible for? Did you see any cool concerts?
It was a lot of fun. My first year I would be assigned to the bleachers (Wrigley Field) quite regularly. I'd lean up against the wall with the field directly behind me. I'd watch my section for underage drinking, smoking, vaping, listen for inappropriate language, keep it "family friendly" as the new ownership of the team required. The bleachers has a rowdy reputation, so there was never a dull day. If people didn't want to listen to me, I'd call a supervisor who tried to talk them into complying to the expectations. If they continued to refuse, off-duty police who work for the park would escort them outside. For egregious behaviors, there are some holding cells in the ballpark they would be brought to until uniformed police came to pick them up for booking. Apparently I proved myself a good employee and I was given a radio toward the end of my first season and became a section chief for the next few years, roaming large sections of the park and keeping eyes on the staff along the wall, helping them as needed with their issues. In the main seating area, there was much less debauchery, so more helping people find their seats, keeping the aisles clear, and dealing with an occasionally smoker or someone clearly drunk. As a teacher, I was free for many of the afternoon games in the summer when other ballpark staff were at their day job, which allowed me to sit in the bullpen, in the press camera wells near the dugouts, keeping an eye on anyone who may try to rush the field, and shagging foul balls when there weren't ballboys/ballgirls. Concerts involved making sure fans were safe, for the most part. Lots of smoking and drinking protocol was impossible to enforce. Concerts included Pearl Jam, Dead and Company, Phish, Lady Gaga, James Tailor, Billy Joel, Foo Fighters, Tom Petty, Chris Stapleton, Green Day, Zach Brown Band, Bonnie Raitt, couple others. The highlight was the 2016 season. Working all the playoff games and World Series Games and all Cubs employees were presented with World Series Rings by the organization. Now I work in school administration which is year-round here, so I cannot meet the requirements for events worked each season, etc. I highly recommend it for those able to do it. Colleagues did similar gigs for the White Sox and at the United Center for all their events (concerts, Black Hawks and Bulls). One retired guy did all three locations for a few years. The money was nice, but the experience was priceless.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 pm
by T4REngineer
tibbitts wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 am It occurs to me that the title of the post is interesting: it sort of implies that any Boglehead would just naturally have a side job.
I chuckled at this - While I don't think we are all equal ,family situations, energy levels, amount of sleep required etc. I know in my own personal circumstances with a working spouse, a 2 year old and a manufacturing plant to run I have very little spare time and even less energy.

Of course I can find an hour on weekdays and maybe a few hours on the weekends but doing a side gig does not appear to have much benefit - I give up time that is very valuable to me for money that gets taxed at my highest rate. I can see if it is something fun/family related but I just don't see giving up what little time I have to try and make some more on the side.

Not directed at the OP but the threads talking about people who work 1-2 hrs a day and are looking for things to do or a TRUE second job drop my jaw- not blaming them as I understand the mentality of if I am not hourly, I am paid a salary to do a job and as long as that is getting done ,contract met. But how has the company leadership not consolidated roles etc. - I expect its rare but those posts stick with me (maybe a bit jealous)

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:27 pm
by matti
mgullo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm
matti wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 am
mgullo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am Are you looking for more money, the ability to sharpen or develop your skills/abilities, or for an opportunity to have fun and create memories?

I worked ballpark operations/security for a MLB team in the Midwest for a few years. Didn’t make a bunch of money, a few thousand a season. But I made some great friends, saw hundreds of games and dozens concerts, worked in the stands and on the field/bullpen, and even earned myself a World Series ring. It was a great side-gig. Now my full time job takes up too much time and I can no longer work there.
That sounds interesting. What were some of the specific things you were responsible for? Did you see any cool concerts?
It was a lot of fun. My first year I would be assigned to the bleachers (Wrigley Field) quite regularly. I'd lean up against the wall with the field directly behind me. I'd watch my section for underage drinking, smoking, vaping, listen for inappropriate language, keep it "family friendly" as the new ownership of the team required. The bleachers has a rowdy reputation, so there was never a dull day. If people didn't want to listen to me, I'd call a supervisor who tried to talk them into complying to the expectations. If they continued to refuse, off-duty police who work for the park would escort them outside. For egregious behaviors, there are some holding cells in the ballpark they would be brought to until uniformed police came to pick them up for booking. Apparently I proved myself a good employee and I was given a radio toward the end of my first season and became a section chief for the next few years, roaming large sections of the park and keeping eyes on the staff along the wall, helping them as needed with their issues. In the main seating area, there was much less debauchery, so more helping people find their seats, keeping the aisles clear, and dealing with an occasionally smoker or someone clearly drunk. As a teacher, I was free for many of the afternoon games in the summer when other ballpark staff were at their day job, which allowed me to sit in the bullpen, in the press camera wells near the dugouts, keeping an eye on anyone who may try to rush the field, and shagging foul balls when there weren't ballboys/ballgirls. Concerts involved making sure fans were safe, for the most part. Lots of smoking and drinking protocol was impossible to enforce. Concerts included Pearl Jam, Dead and Company, Phish, Lady Gaga, James Tailor, Billy Joel, Foo Fighters, Tom Petty, Chris Stapleton, Green Day, Zach Brown Band, Bonnie Raitt, couple others. The highlight was the 2016 season. Working all the playoff games and World Series Games and all Cubs employees were presented with World Series Rings by the organization. Now I work in school administration which is year-round here, so I cannot meet the requirements for events worked each season, etc. I highly recommend it for those able to do it. Colleagues did similar gigs for the White Sox and at the United Center for all their events (concerts, Black Hawks and Bulls). One retired guy did all three locations for a few years. The money was nice, but the experience was priceless.

Thanks! Sounds like fun (mostly). I think I would dig a "side gig" like this if I was close to an MLB city.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm
by Carpenterant
I do small carpentry projects on the side. Depending on what it is and if I have any 0-2000 per month. Usually work on Saturdays. I’m rethinking things a bit because I just finished 13 weeks of 70-80 hrs working

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm
by palaheel
I expect to teach adjunct at the local community college next spring. I'll be going back to the department and courses I just retired from. I look forward to not advising, getting swept into non-teaching activities, having office hours, etc. But the pay is minimal.

Our courses are already laid out, with all of the lessons, labs, tests, etc already prepared by full-time faculty. An adjunct could prepare his or her own material, but that's neither necessary nor usual. The school also already heavily into online courses, so there's no panicked scramble for that.

Re: what is your side job and income?

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 pm
by Stoic9
I may not of worked harder than everyone else but I did work harder than many I've known. As a result when I retired I retired, my job was interesting, exciting, and pay was fair. I can see if someone finds something they enjoy and get paid having a side hustle. I do taxes as a hobby/free for people I know. One person I do taxes for is a public school teacher in her 30's. She has at least 5 different side hustles that brings in about 10-12k a year. This allows her to travel (pre-C) extensively which is her passion. She teaches on line for several Countries/Companies) and creates and sells things for several online companies.