New vanguard account: Reinvest dividends or put into Money Market holding?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sunny_socal

New vanguard account: Reinvest dividends or put into Money Market holding?

Post by sunny_socal »

Hi all,

I'm setting up my very first taxable account at Vanguard.

There's a page where it asks what to do with dividends: 1. Auto reinvest -or- 2. Put the proceeds into the Money Market holding account

What should I choose? I'm new to this, so far I've only had a 401k and I've never been directly paid dividends.

Do I even need to fund that MM account, by the way? Or can I directly purchase funds with cash from my checking account?

Thanks
livesoft

Re: New vanguard account: Reinvest dividends or put into Money Market holding?

Post by livesoft »

Others may disagree, but I really don't think it matters. If you put into a MM fund, then you will have to make a decision of whether to leave it there, spend it, or invest it in something. That's not a hard decision. If you automatically re-invest, then you do not have to make a decision, so if you are type where decisions are not easy, then you probably should do this. Besides, you can always change your decision on this any time you want to.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
celia

Post by celia »

You can set re-investment options for each separate asset (fund, stock, ETF) you own under settings, somewhere under "My Accounts".

Since re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell. In taxable, I just let everything go to the settlement account. Then, once a year or so, I can re-invest that in whatever is under-weighted in the portfolio.

In tax-deferred and Roth accounts, it doesn't matter, since taxes are only based on the amount of withdrawals (from tax-deferred) or on contributions (into Roth).
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pm You can set re-investment options for each separate asset (fund, stock, ETF) you own under settings, somewhere under "My Accounts".

Since re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell. In taxable, I just let everything go to the settlement account. Then, once a year or so, I can re-invest that in whatever is under-weighted in the portfolio.

In tax-deferred and Roth accounts, it doesn't matter, since taxes are only based on the amount of withdrawals (from tax-deferred) or on contributions (into Roth).
Thanks, the bolded part is helpful. I'm leaning toward letting the funds come back to the MM since I enjoy simplicity.

Are the dividend payments themselves taxable events?
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pmSince re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell. In taxable, I just let everything go to the settlement account. Then, once a year or so, I can re-invest that in whatever is under-weighted in the portfolio.
+1
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pmSince re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell.
I don't find such things annoying. And one doesn't end up with numerous tiny "purchases" anyways since distributions for equity funds are normally 4 times a year. And if one is investing in bond funds that pay a monthly dividend, that's really not unlike a checking account or savings account that pays interest 12 times a year.

Really, this is not a big deal for most people.
Yes, they are and there is no difference in the tax whether one reinvests or not.

Also think of this: Do you automatically re-invest interest payments made monthly by your savings account or your checking account? Or do you not reinvest in those accounts to make things simple?
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 pm ...
Do I even need to fund that MM account, by the way? Or can I directly purchase funds with cash from my checking account?
A brokerage account requires a settlement account, which at Vanguard is invested in their Federal MMF.

You can buy securities using money from the settlement fund, and you can also buy them using money from a linked bank account.
celia

Post by celia »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:32 pm Are the dividend payments themselves taxable events?
Yes. So are Capital gains the funds earn and distribute to shareholders.

Sunny_socal, I assume your profile pic was taken years ago with a sunset in the background. Just today, a relative in San Francisco sent me a pic and it looks similar with the orange sky during mid-day as fires have messed up the air. We are also getting ash dropping on us outdoors in SoCal somewhat near the ocean.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I prefer to have all dividends pay into the settlement fund (e.g. Federal Money Market Fund) and then I reinvest from there at the end of each quarter after dividends pay out into whatever asset class is underweight.

Avoids wash sales and keeps portfolio in balance.

Other will prefer a more hands off approach which is fine too.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 pm
celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pmSince re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell.
I don't find such things annoying. And one doesn't end up with numerous tiny "purchases" anyways since distributions for equity funds are normally 4 times a year. And if one is investing in bond funds that pay a monthly dividend, that's really not unlike a checking account or savings account that pays interest 12 times a year.

Yes, they are and there is no difference in the tax whether one reinvests or not.

Also think of this: Do you automatically re-invest interest payments made monthly by your savings account or your checking account? Or do you not reinvest in those accounts to make things simple?
Sure I let my checking account 'interest' stay there, but it's something like 5 cents a year.

Will all these dividend 'tiny purchases' need to be tracked with their own basis?

I'm planning on just buying a fund and letting it sit there for years, was hoping to track only the initial basis.
increment

Post by increment »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:41 pm Will all these dividend 'tiny purchases' need to be tracked with their own basis?

I'm planning on just buying a fund and letting it sit there for years, was hoping to track only the initial basis.
Yes, officially they need to be tracked. Nowadays your brokerage is required to do that for you.

If you want to forget about the basis of your reinvested dividends, that is okay with the government, because that will just lead to your paying additional tax when you sell.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

increment wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:41 pm Will all these dividend 'tiny purchases' need to be tracked with their own basis?

Yes, officially they need to be tracked. Nowadays your brokerage is required to do that for you.

If you want to forget about the basis of your reinvested dividends, that is okay with the government, because that will just lead to your paying additional tax when you sell.
I didn't mean the reinvested dividends, but rather the dividends paid to me. Must those be tracked?
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Why no Roth or traditional IRA if only have ever used 401k?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard will do the tracking for you. If you yourself want to track only the initial basis, then you will need to have the distributions go some place else. However, if you are thinking that in the future you can just take the value of the account and divide by the initial basis to get the performance and/or total return of your investment, you cannot do that without also taking into account the dividends and distributions whether they remain in the account (by automatic reinvesting) or not (by sending them to a MM fund).
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:52 pm Why no Roth or traditional IRA if only have ever used 401k?
I'm going to do a Backdoor Roth next, but I'm still setting up the main 'taxable' account. Per my understanding they are completely separate.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Vanguard will do the tracking for you. If you yourself want to track only the initial basis, then you will need to have the distributions go some place else. However, if you are thinking that in the future you can just take the value of the account and divide by the initial basis to get the performance and/or total return of your investment, you cannot do that without also taking into account the dividends and distributions whether they remain in the account (by automatic reinvesting) or not (by sending them to a MM fund).
That's fine with me if Vanguard does the tracking! I had assumed I'd need to maintain a spreadsheet or something. That's not the case?

It sounds like the easiest approach is just to allow reinvestment.
celia

Post by celia »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 pm

"Annoying" is in the eye of the beholder. I especially hate dividends less than a dollar and we intentionally have checking accounts without interest. We also inherited a partial bond in an Inherited IRA that none of the beneficiaries could sell (since you have to sell a whole bond). It didn't mature for another 15 years. It paid out less than a dollar in interest and less than a dollar in principal each month and there was nothing we could do with it, except QCD it to a charity which we recently did (along with other small stuff in the account).
increment

Post by increment »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:49 pm I didn't mean the reinvested dividends, but rather the dividends paid to me. Must those be tracked?
(Taxwise, there is no difference between a dividend that is auto-reinvested and one that you take in cash.)

Almost always, dividends do not change the basis of the shares that generated them. But nowadays your brokerage is required to keep track of basis for you. By "basis" here I am talking about "the number that you have to know for tax purposes", not "some number that will help you understand how your investments are doing".

(Companies can issue "nontaxable dividends" that are treated as "return of capital". The recipient doesn't pay tax on them right away, but instead the basis is reduced accordingly. Do mutual funds ever have to pass these recordkeeping annoyances onto their fundholders?)
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I'm going through the setup. It is forcing me to put money into the Money Market Settlement account. So it seems impossible to just buy later with a direct bank withdrawal, one _must_ go through this holding account?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:49 pm
increment wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:46 pm

I didn't mean the reinvested dividends, but rather the dividends paid to me. Must those be tracked?
Dividends paid out to you are included as income, but you don't track them for cost basis, since you didn't buy any shares with them.

You only have to track shares (actually Vanguard does it for you) that are purchased, whether by dividend reinvestment or from your checking account.

You do not have to fund the associated money market fund, perfectly fine to leave it empty.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I really wouldn’t worry about your “reinvest dividends or not” choice. Try it one way for several months. See how it works. If you don’t care for it, change to the other setting. You can change it whenever you want, although I wouldn’t advise doing it multiple times in a few days. I’ve changed mine 2x in the last year because of a change in my thinking. Personally, if you aren’t currently focusing on maintaining your asset allocation via multiple different investments in that account, I’d just choose to auto-reinvest them. Money just sitting in the settlement account is rather unnecessary unless that money market fund is part of your desired asset allocation. Don’t worry about the tracking. The brokerage does it for you. You can monitor it on a cost basis page if desired.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:04 pm I'm going through the setup. It is forcing me to put money into the Money Market Settlement account. So it seems impossible to just buy later with a direct bank withdrawal, one _must_ go through this holding account?
Have you entered your checking account information already?

Because it is perfectly normal to make purchases using your bank checking account, I just did two minutes ago.

I personally choose to reinvest, one less thing I have to remember.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:57 pmThat's fine with me if Vanguard does the tracking! I had assumed I'd need to maintain a spreadsheet or something. That's not the case?

It sounds like the easiest approach is just to allow reinvestment.
Yes, Vanguard does the tracking. You should probably save your annual statements, but you will not need a spreadsheet or something.

I have done both auto-reinvesting AND have also had dividends sent to my external checking account which I registered with Vanguard.

All these approaches are very easy, so I don't think there is any "easiest" which is also why I think people are responding differently. And no matter what you choose now, you can always change it tomorrow or in the future.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:04 pm I'm going through the setup. It is forcing me to put money into the Money Market Settlement account. So it seems impossible to just buy later with a direct bank withdrawal, one _must_ go through this holding account?
If that's the case, set up a bank account in the account maintenance menu and ACH some funds into your settlement account. You will have to wait until VG makes two small deposits into your bank account and then input the amount into the verification screen. After you bank account is set up, then you will be able to buy using a direct bank withdrawal.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Not reinvesting dividends also makes tax loss harvesting a bit easier, in that you don't have to worry about a stray reinvestment causing a (minor) wash sale.

Note that using different funds in taxable compared to tax-advantaged is also useful for avoiding wash sales. This is more important in that wash sales caused by tax-advantaged purchases permanently disallows the loss.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Did you already setup a bank link? This requires Vanguard to deposit a couple cents to & from between your bank and the new VG account with only you confirming a couple message.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Eagle33 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:20 pm
Did you already setup a bank link? This requires Vanguard to deposit a couple cents to & from between your bank and the new VG account with only you confirming a couple message.
I sent in 100k. (Minimum $1, Max something like $10M) Now they'll do the two little deposits/withdrawals prior to approving the funding.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I'm a buy and hold investor and want to track the performance of my investments (not for tax purpose). Reinvestment makes it easier because I only need to compare $ invested vs current value.
BoneSpec

Post by BoneSpec »

For right now, all dividends and such go to MM account. It becomes "mad" money to invest in individual stocks. Which once they gain 15-20% I sell and then put that back into VTSAX.

I caught a few of the "pump and dumps" in the cruise line stocks. While I sold them before they peak, I gained 15-20% and then cashed out.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

If you have a thoughtful, long term accumulation plan, you may find that dividend reinvestment helps. You can always stop dividend reinvestment a year before you start sales, if you want to avoid extra tax return work. Say, in preparation for retirement, college costs, or reallocation.
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:55 pm
MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:52 pm Why no Roth or traditional IRA if only have ever used 401k?
I'm going to do a Backdoor Roth next, but I'm still setting up the main 'taxable' account. Per my understanding they are completely separate.
I don’t believe a taxable account is required for the backdoor Roth.

I believe Vanguard reports dividends paid to you in the taxable account annually on form 1099 Div. This is independent of whether you reinvest them or not. As others have indicated, once dividends are reinvested the cost basis is adjusted.
DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor »

David Jay wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:33 pm
celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pmSince re-investments are actually tiny purchases, if you re-invest in taxable accounts, you will end up with lots of tiny "purchases", which can be annoying when you go to sell. In taxable, I just let everything go to the settlement account. Then, once a year or so, I can re-invest that in whatever is under-weighted in the portfolio.
+1
Personally - I don't find 4 extra tax lots a year that annoying - I am in the camp that I want to keep my money working so I use auto-reinvest ( although not always back into the same fund - I put them all into one fund so only need to worry about reinvestments causing wash sale rules if I TLH)..
TSWNY

Post by TSWNY »

I have all my dividends go to the settlement fund for the year and then on January 1st I fund my ROTH.
virginiabirdie

Post by virginiabirdie »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:30 pm You can set re-investment options for each separate asset (fund, stock, ETF) you own under settings, somewhere under "My Accounts".

I am not an expert. Just a beginner! But this is what the bogleheads books says to do too--just put in settlement account to reduce number of lots for taxes. So I do what Celia said.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

An advantage to automatically reinvesting the dividend is it avoids behavioral issues, and maximizes "in the market" time of those resources. No opportunity to second guess the reinvestment based on market conditions or whatever. So if you tend to be an agonizing perfectionist, better to automatically reinvest and remove the temptation.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

TSWNY wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:08 am I have all my dividends go to the settlement fund for the year and then on January 1st I fund my ROTH.
Would that not be considered Market Timing?

If one immediately invested the dividends into the same investments in a taxable account that are in one's Roth, then that would be investing as soon as one had the money. One could sell the taxable investments and re-buy in the Roth in January. If one had to pay taxes from selling in taxable to do that, so what? After all, the tax rate would be no more than putting the money in the settlement account, but could also be much less and the gains could be much more than the puny interest paid by the settlement account.
Humility101

Post by Humility101 »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:55 pm
You can view IRAs and a brokerage account with Vanguard with the same login (they are separate accounts/buckets but you can transfer between them). If you plan on setting and forgetting, I would prioritize maximizing the Roth for tax advantages. If you think you will need the money in the mid term or prior to retirement then keep in brokerage. Reinvest the dividends in three fund portfolio and watch the power of compounding at work.

Cheers,

Humility101
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

David Jay wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:33 pm
+1
+1 too, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.

I end up selling more than once a year, either for rebalancing or to transfer funds to my checking account for major purchases or gifts.
celia

Post by celia »

virginiabirdie wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:08 am I am not an expert. Just a beginner! But this is what the bogleheads books says to do too--just put in settlement account to reduce number of lots for taxes. So I do what Celia said.
You're not that much of a beginner any more! Why, you even have over 100 posts! I've been posting here for quite a while myself and I still learn things too.

Thanks for reinforcing my idea (or maybe I'm just reinforcing the boglehead's philosophy)! :beer
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

I choose to not reinvest dividends in my taxable account. I think this makes tax loss harvesting easier. I also think it helps with rebalancing.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I reinvested for many years,
Taxes
No problem at all ,
Vanguard tracks the basis,
I also track in Quicken
If you are attempting to create wealth
Over the long term
Reinvesting of dividends and capital gains is important,
Compounding,8th wonder of the World(Einstein)

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn't, pays it.”

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

So the account is set up now, took a week to transfer funds from my bank and to make a purchase.

Went to My Account -> Dividend and Capital Gains Distributions -> Change Distribution elections

I'm greeted with this screen where the "change" link is ghosted!
- Why is that?
- Must I wait another week? :|
- Why does everyone make this sound so simple? (Yes I'm impatient)

Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Called vanguard, they said it will take yet another 24h to fully settle:
- 24h to send in funds
- 24h to make the transaction
- 24h to settle..
- THEN you can change the dividend election