A tip: Property tax payment by Credit Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Wrench

A tip: Property tax payment by Credit Card

Post by Wrench »

In my county in my state one can pay property taxes by credit card. Normally, there is a 2% fee to do so. Because there is a State of Emergency in my state from COVID-19, the 2% fee is waived this year. So one can use a cash back credit card and get a 2% savings on property taxes!

So if you are like me and own your home outright (or do not have an escrow account on your mortgage so pay your own taxes) then check out your local tax site and see if the same might apply to you.

Wrench
runner3081

Re: A tip: Property tax payment by Credit Card

Post by runner3081 »

Thanks for the tip. Maricopa County is still charging a 2.15% fee for credit cards.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

That is an excellent tip. Regretfully Clark County (Nevada) is still imposing a 2.19% service fee. :(
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:13 pm Thanks for the tip. Maricopa County is still charging a 2.15% fee for credit cards.
And right now mail delivery isn't working too well. I've had a couple of online bill payments not reach their destination 2 weeks after it was sent. (Smaller type businesses)
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Lucky for you! My county imposes a 3% fee, no waiver. :(
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Our county in GA charges 2.5% fee. I normally apply for a new card around this time and pay the taxes (no escrow) with the new CC and get the sign on bonus and cancel it before next year annual fee is due.

Wish our county waives the fee
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Blount County TN passes on the fees charged to them by credit card companies for credit card payments and by banks for processing "e-checks". The only way to avoid these fees is to pay via paper check. The difference between the fee charged to me by the County for my paying by Visa and the 2% cash back I get is very small, so I actually have little problem rationalizing it as a "convenience fee" for not having to deal with paper checks. Perhaps that's not the Boglehead way, but it's a decent compromise.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

rich126 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:58 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:13 pm Thanks for the tip. Maricopa County is still charging a 2.15% fee for credit cards.
And right now mail delivery isn't working too well. I've had a couple of online bill payments not reach their destination 2 weeks after it was sent. (Smaller type businesses)
I don't mail anything, haven't done so for many, many years. They pull ACH from bank for no charge.
Topic Author
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

A quick Google search finds a bunch of counties that are waiving fees: Monroe County, NY (I think), Mecklenberg County, NC, Missoula County, MT (I think), New Castle County, DE, etc. It appears that most in CA are not. Anyway, worth checking for your county - maybe someone else will get lucky like me.
lws

Post by lws »

My county will do an ACH transfer from your checking account.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

lws wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 pm My county will do an ACH transfer from your checking account.
Mine does too and it's how I pay my RE taxes. Although they charge $1.05 "convenience fee". Guess they'd rather have to deal with paper checks :o
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience