Currently receiving spousal SS benefit from restricted application. Can I apply online for my own benefit at age 70?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
shellboy

Currently receiving spousal SS benefit from restricted application. Can I apply online for my own benefit at age 70?

Post by shellboy »

Not sure if SS offices are open. Would prefer to file in person, but started an online application. When checking online for earliest date to submit application, I saw a link that said if on restricted app now, I must file in person at age 70. I thought online was allowed but wanted to get other opinion.
dbr

Re: Currently receiving spousal SS benefit from restricted application. Can I apply online for my own benefit at age 70?

Post by dbr »

shellboy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:41 am Not sure if SS offices are open. Would prefer to file in person, but started an online application. When checking online for earliest date to submit application, I saw a link that said if on restricted app now, I must file in person at age 70. I thought online was allowed but wanted to get other opinion.
You can try and you might get a note back to call them. I don't know if that will result in being told to go to an office.

I think that technically this is your first and only claim for benefits on your own record so it is sort of like you had never been there before. The online process will look like trying to be a new applicant. I don't know why that would mean you can't do it online.
MJS

Re: Currently receiving spousal SS benefit from restricted application. Can I apply online for my own benefit at age 70?

Post by MJS »

Did you, per usual, suspend your benefit when you applied for spousal benefits? SS will automatically start your personal benefit at age 70.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202409130
Chip

Post by Chip »

MJS wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:35 pm Did you, per usual, suspend your benefit when you applied for spousal benefits? SS will automatically start your personal benefit at age 70.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202409130
I'm not an expert, but I don't believe that filing a restricted application for spousal benefits is the same thing as suspending a benefit.
Topic Author
shellboy

Post by shellboy »

No, I did not file and suspend. I filed a restricted spousal application. I checked and SSA offices are all closed, for the most part. I went ahead and filed on line and added remarks explaining that I was filing for the first time on my own record. At this point, I will assume they will tell me if I cannot complete the process online.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I had been receiving spousal benefits and was able to file online in Mar 2020. This was done with an online application and a follow up phone call from SSA about 1 week later. My benefits started with the March benefit, paid as usual a month later in April.

It would have gone down without a hitch except when I applied I asked for reto benefits effective Jan2020 (you can ask for up to 6 months retroactive, which will have a slight impact on your overall increase due to delayed credits). The 3 months of reto benefits never came and, after many calls to SSA, I learned that the local office expected me to come in so they could "confirm my identity". Of course the local office was closed for Covid. After more phone calls, I faxed a copy of my DL to the local office. They finally released the 3 months of retroactive benefits in mid-Aug.
dbr

Post by dbr »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:35 pm I had been receiving spousal benefits and was able to file online in Mar 2020. This was done with an online application and a follow up phone call from SSA about 1 week later. My benefits started with the March benefit, paid as usual a month later in April.

It would have gone down without a hitch except when I applied I asked for reto benefits effective Jan2020 (you can ask for up to 6 months retroactive, which will have a slight impact on your overall increase due to delayed credits). The 3 months of reto benefits never came and, after many calls to SSA, I learned that the local office expected me to come in so they could "confirm my identity". Of course the local office was closed for Covid. After more phone calls, I faxed a copy of my DL to the local office. They finally released the 3 months of retroactive benefits in mid-Aug.
In our last interaction with SS we had to make an unnecessary trip to the office because "Tom in Chicago processed your case and Tom messes up everything he touches. But it's an easy fix. Sorry for the trouble."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

shellboy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm No, I did not file and suspend. I filed a restricted spousal application. I checked and SSA offices are all closed, for the most part. I went ahead and filed on line and added remarks explaining that I was filing for the first time on my own record. At this point, I will assume they will tell me if I cannot complete the process online.
This is what I did. I filled in some online form, and ended up having a phone call appointment arranged.
They called almost right on the dot.
This was also how I had initiated the spousal application.

Everything was handled very smoothly. The "spousal" checks started arriving without a hitch, and later, so did my "own" benefit checks.

It was all surprisingly efficient and the reps both times very pleasant :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
riskreward

Post by riskreward »

My wife was taking spousal and about 2 months before her 70th birthday, she filed online to receive her SS benefits (filing for first time benefits).
In the comments section of the online application, we explained she was currently taking spousal benefits under my name.
Went off without a hitch.
About 2 weeks after filing online application, wife got a phone call from SS telling her everything looked good and they told her how much she would receive in benefits.