Cancelling upcoming trip

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
jebmke
Posts: 11417
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by jebmke »

Maybe they will provide a credit for future use at the hotel.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 5548
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by Stinky »

Did you charge this on a credit card?

If the hotel won’t refund, I’d contest the hotel charge. It may not work, but there’s no reason not to try.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 3174
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
Why call your actions foolish? Booking a vacation isn't foolish. Even booking a non-refundable room isn't foolish if you can afford to take the chance that you might have to cancel.

Kind of like investing. You decide to take some chances, and sometimes you lose money. But by taking calculated chances now and then you usually come out ahead.

I book no-refund flights and rooms frequently. Very seldom get burned.
coalcracker
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by coalcracker »

I was supposed to be in Singapore and Thailand this past March, but canceled in February when the pre-pandemic was not yet in the US. Fortunately and unfortunately, The airline and hotels were able to move everything to February 2021. With every month, my hopes fade even further that the 2021 trip will happen.

I suggest you call or email the hotel directly and see what they can do.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm
student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
Why call your actions foolish? Booking a vacation isn't foolish. Even booking a non-refundable room isn't foolish if you can afford to take the chance that you might have to cancel.

Kind of like investing. You decide to take some chances, and sometimes you lose money. But by taking calculated chances now and then you usually come out ahead.

I book no-refund flights and rooms frequently. Very seldom get burned.
It was foolish because there were hints about the virus spreading in January and I thought it would be back to normal by December. I made the wrong call.
DarkHelmetII
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by DarkHelmetII »

student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
If there is no documented cancellation policy why is the default that the room is non-refundable? My point is that, COVID or no COVID, in the absence of any documented cancellation policy I would argue (such as with credit card company) your assumption is that the room would be refundable if you give a 3+ months lead time communication that you will not need and request your money back.
aristotelian
Posts: 8061
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by aristotelian »

Did you book the hotel knowing that it was non-refundable? Be honest.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm
student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
If there is no documented cancellation policy why is the default that the room is non-refundable? My point is that, COVID or no COVID, in the absence of any documented cancellation policy I would argue (such as with credit card company) your assumption is that the room would be refundable if you give a 3+ months lead time communication that you will not need and request your money back.
The hotel has a no cancellation policy.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

aristotelian wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 pm Did you book the hotel knowing that it was non-refundable? Be honest.
Yes. I knew the policy when I made the reservation, that's why it was a foolish purchase. I posted the question in case there are some EU rules that I are not aware of. For example, https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... ovid-19_en says that "Under EU consumer law, traders are bound to act according to professional diligence and should not mislead consumers about their rights or make it difficult for consumers to exercise their rights. It is therefore expected that, in particular as of 11 March 2020, consumers are adequately informed about the possible consequences for their booking should they have to cancel their travel or should the provider have to cancel the accommodation." Since I booked the hotel in January, I thought there may be a chance.
quantAndHold
Posts: 5024
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by quantAndHold »

student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:47 pm
NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm
student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
Why call your actions foolish? Booking a vacation isn't foolish. Even booking a non-refundable room isn't foolish if you can afford to take the chance that you might have to cancel.

Kind of like investing. You decide to take some chances, and sometimes you lose money. But by taking calculated chances now and then you usually come out ahead.

I book no-refund flights and rooms frequently. Very seldom get burned.
It was foolish because there were hints about the virus spreading in January and I thought it would be back to normal by December. I made the wrong call.
Meh. You made a decision based on the knowledge you had at the time. I don’t think anyone could have guessed in January how things would go.

That said, Europe is in much better shape than the US is right now. If you are still interested in going, I would just stay the course. Everything is a moving target. At some point you will either actually be able to go, or be prohibited from going. If you can’t go, possibly because you legally can’t get into the country you’re going to, then you might have a better chance with the hotel.

We had to cancel a trip to Spain this past spring. The Spanish hotel with a no refund policy refunded our money with no issue.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
123
Posts: 6409
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by 123 »

Maybe the hotel will close and go out of business by the time of your expected trip. Even if they had a no cancelation policy that would seem to make a refund available if you paid by credit card.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
obgraham
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by obgraham »

I learned a hard lesson this spring. I will never again book hotels through consolidators or 3rd party websites. Only direct to the hotel. And no more prepaid bookings.

I lost about $1000 of hotel bookings in Europe for May and June. Sure, sometimes they had a no-cancel stipulation, so I haven't a legal argument. But who knew? And both the hotel and the booking outfits blamed each other, with the old line of "we might have done something for you, but, you know, this other outfit refuses".

Weasely crooks, the lot. I didn't getthe service, but they kept the cash.

On the other hand, The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam refunded every penny of my nonrefundable admission tickets. Good on them!
3feetpete
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by 3feetpete »

If they aren't willing to give you anything, then don't cancel just yet. Things may change with the virus and they may be forced to cancel your reservation and give you a refund.
theplayer11
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by theplayer11 »

student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
why was that foolish? In Jan., covid was not on anyone's radar. Your mistake was choosing a hotel with a no cancellation policy.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am
student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
why was that foolish? In Jan., covid was not on anyone's radar. Your mistake was choosing a hotel with a no cancellation policy.
Yes. That's part of the foolishness.
MikeG62
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by MikeG62 »

Stinky wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm Did you charge this on a credit card?

If the hotel won’t refund, I’d contest the hotel charge. It may not work, but there’s no reason not to try.
I'd work the CC angle as well. Here's a situation where it worked.

My in-laws had a trip to Portugal booked for April of 2020. This was a group trip with approximately 20 people going. Travel agent was paid in full for the trip (airfare and hotel) as was the tour operator. Everything was paid for on their Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Ultimately their flights were cancelled and they were unable to go. Travel agent and tour operator both refused to refund any money - both claimed act of god and circumstances beyond their control. All they were willing to do was push the trip out 12 months (basically same dates in 2021). My in-laws reached out to Chase and asked that the charge (which had been paid for back in 2019) be credited back to their card. Surprisingly, after some investigation Chase credited back all charges.

Long way of saying, you never know unless you ask.

OP, let us know the outcome once all avenues have been pursued. Good luck.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
THY4373
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by THY4373 »

A few thoughts. I would reach out to the hotel directly (I know you made your reservation with Expedia but working with the hotel directly may still help you as I don't fully trust Expedia or any of the OTAs to work in your best interest). As for chargeback I would certainly try that but I think the timing of that is probably important. You may be better off doing the chargeback around the time you were to have traveled in the event as I expect US persons are not allowed to enter the EU (at least coming directly from the US). This may or may not be covered by a chargeback but at least you have something to hang your hat on. At this point your inability to travel at that time is mostly theoretical.
flyingaway
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by flyingaway »

I book nonrefundable flights and hotels all the time. When my missed my flights due to delay in the previous leg, I just took the loss in flights and hotels, never bothered to ask for a refund.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

Thank you for the replies. I am waiting for expedia for further informatiom, who emailed me saying that they are waiting for the hotel to respond.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by UpperNwGuy »

All these responses are telling OP talk to the hotel or the credit card company, but the room was booked with Expedia, so the hotel may recognize Expedia as the customer. I've been down this road before, and Expedia plays a little game in which they blame the hotel. The reality may be that Expedia purchased a block of rooms and was acting as a reseller. I stopped doing business with Expedia a few years ago because of this type of issue.

OP, did you pay Expedia or the hotel? You should be able to tell by looking at your credit card statement.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 am All these responses are telling OP talk to the hotel or the credit card company, but the room was booked with Expedia, so the hotel may recognize Expedia as the customer. I've been down this road before, and Expedia plays a little game in which they blame the hotel. The reality may be that Expedia purchased a block of rooms and was acting as a reseller. I stopped doing business with Expedia a few years ago because of this type of issue.

OP, did you pay Expedia or the hotel? You should be able to tell by looking at your credit card statement.
I paid Expedia. I use Expedia because the air+hotel saving is usually very good.
CardioMD
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:40 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by CardioMD »

This is one reason why I never book hotels with no cancellation policy. Also, I always go through the hotel/airline and don’t mess with third party services. We have a trip to Europe coming up in November.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
keith6014
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by keith6014 »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:34 pm
student wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am Due to my own foolishness, I booked a December vacation to Europe in January via Expedia. The airline has changed the flight substantially that Expedia said I am eligible for a refund. However the hotel has a no cancellation policy. Expedia said they will request a refund from the hotel. Of course, the hotel may simply say no. I assume that I am [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if this is the case.
Why call your actions foolish? Booking a vacation isn't foolish. Even booking a non-refundable room isn't foolish if you can afford to take the chance that you might have to cancel.

Kind of like investing. You decide to take some chances, and sometimes you lose money. But by taking calculated chances now and then you usually come out ahead.

I book no-refund flights and rooms frequently. Very seldom get burned.
Exactly. You aren't foolish at all. No way for you to know at that time.
diy60
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by diy60 »

In the past I used third party sites including auction sites for travel, but no longer do so. Several unavoidable events over the last several years disrupted our travel plans ultimately costing more in non-refundable dollars than what the savings would have provided. Now I go straight to the hotel, car, and airline travel online sites and skip over any non-refundable offers.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

OP here. Update. I received a refund for the airfare and I am still waiting for the decision from the hotel. (Expedia said they have emailed the hotel to see whether they are willing to give a waiver and refund me the money even though I paid a non-refundable price. The hotel is Corinthia Lisbon. I think it is part of an upscale hotel chain.) Thanks for all the responses.
michaeljc70
Posts: 7096
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by michaeljc70 »

My father just had a trip to Europe in Oct cancelled with a tour company and he had the insurance. Out of $1200 he got $200 back. They said you don't get the insurance back and the airline hasn't cancelled the flight so you cannot get that money unless they cancel the flight :oops:. I'm guessing he didn't read the fine print.
User avatar
midareff
Posts: 7140
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by midareff »

I cancelled a cruise trip to France with Vantage for physician documented medical reasons other than Covid, back in mid-April. I had cancel for any reason insurance sold to me by Vantage with Tripmate Insurance. The insurance company was supposed to refund us $300 each and Vantage the balance of about $11K. I have received $300 back from Tripmate for my wife, nothing for me so far, and zero from Vantage Cruise Line who won't even comment on when or a general time frame they will provide a refund. I think that says lots about both of them.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11744
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by Sandtrap »

This story might be a helpful example.

Booked a lst class ticket on Hawaiian Airlines. Flight was in January. Cancelled it due to health concerns.
Ticket was non refundable. Airlines issued a ticket credit to be used in the future with change fee and difference in fare on rebooking.
Called recently due to ongoing issues in Hawaii's response to Covid and flight, etc, restrictions, etc, etc.
Hawaiian Airlines customer service waived future change fee and fare difference, also extended the "use by" date.
Customer service rep said that's the best they could do. Anything more, contact consumer affairs.

Emailed Hawaiian Airlines consumer affairs office.
** Asked the Consumer Affairs office if it was better for them to issue a full refund or for me to contact my CC company to void the charge, in the email.
1 week later, they issued me a full refund.

Actionable lesson that might or might not work.
Keep pursuing.
Squeeky wheel gets the oil.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
SQRT
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by SQRT »

Similar story, we booked a very expensive African (Rwanda and Tanzania) trip in January this year. It was scheduled to begin at the end of Dec/2020 and go for about 2 1/2 weeks. Flights were booked on frequent flyer points so no problem there. Most of the safari camps are very small intimate establishments and work on a “no refunds” basis. We knew this in advance so bought travel cancellation insurance. We normally don’t do this but since the non refundable portion of the trip was so large, in this case we did. Our biggest concern was our health, ie we would need to cancel due to sickness. Also, my mother-in-law is 91 and any serious illness (or worse) on her part could have necessitated cancellation. The policy covers almost any reason for cancellation, including government issued “travel advisories”. At the time of booking, we never even considered a pandemic.

We cancelled the trip in May after the Canadian government issued a travel advisory to avoid non essential travel to these countries (and everywhere else for that matter). We reviewed the insurance policy for any “Pandemic Out” clauses. There are none. Filed our claim in early June. We are still waiting for a response. Call them every week. Expect to be paid but not counting on it. Luckily this isn’t material to our finances. Wouldn’t have paid such a high non refundable amount if it had been.

Covid-19 has really played havoc with travel.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

OP here. Update. Just got an email from expedia stating that the hotel has declined my request of a refund but they are willing to provide a credit for future travel. I will check with expedia on how to get the credit and what is the expiration date.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3675
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by CyclingDuo »

student wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:48 pmOP here. Update. Just got an email from expedia stating that the hotel has declined my request of a refund but they are willing to provide a credit for future travel. I will check with expedia on how to get the credit and what is the expiration date.
Sorry you had to cancel your trip, student. Yes, find out how long the credit is for future travel to that hotel so you can see if you can ever utilize it within a time frame that works for you. If not...

I would be curious if there was any recourse if you contacted your credit card company, as I assume there has been a lot of dealing with this similar issue due to Covid19 and global travel being severely curtailed. I would see if they could put the hammer down for you with the hotel regarding your situation.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am
student wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:48 pmOP here. Update. Just got an email from expedia stating that the hotel has declined my request of a refund but they are willing to provide a credit for future travel. I will check with expedia on how to get the credit and what is the expiration date.
Sorry you had to cancel your trip, student. Yes, find out how long the credit is for future travel to that hotel so you can see if you can ever utilize it within a time frame that works for you. If not...

I would be curious if there was any recourse if you contacted your credit card company, as I assume there has been a lot of dealing with this similar issue due to Covid19 and global travel being severely curtailed. I would see if they could put the hammer down for you with the hotel regarding your situation.

CyclingDuo
The customer service representative told me that the credit is good for one year. I called the credit card company benefits line (Chase Sapphire Reserve), and I was told that this is not covered under trip cancellation insurance due to the pandemic. Given that I am not confident that travel for fun can be safe in a year, there is a good chance that I won't be able to use the credit.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3675
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by CyclingDuo »

student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 amThe customer service representative told me that the credit is good for one year. I called the credit card company benefits line (Chase Sapphire Reserve), and I was told that this is not covered under trip cancellation insurance due to the pandemic. Given that I am not confident that travel for fun can be safe in a year, there is a good chance that I won't be able to use the credit.
Ah.

Obviously it is difficult to predict, but if things were on the upswing for travel by Q4 of 2021 - could you go in December of 2021 to Lisbon (same trip you had planned, just one year later)?

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:57 am
student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 amThe customer service representative told me that the credit is good for one year. I called the credit card company benefits line (Chase Sapphire Reserve), and I was told that this is not covered under trip cancellation insurance due to the pandemic. Given that I am not confident that travel for fun can be safe in a year, there is a good chance that I won't be able to use the credit.
Ah.

Obviously it is difficult to predict, but if things were on the upswing for travel by Q4 of 2021 - could you go in December of 2021 to Lisbon (same trip you had planned, just one year later)?

CyclingDuo
Yes. I could. We may do that.
User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 3675
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by CyclingDuo »

student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 am
CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:57 am
student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 amThe customer service representative told me that the credit is good for one year. I called the credit card company benefits line (Chase Sapphire Reserve), and I was told that this is not covered under trip cancellation insurance due to the pandemic. Given that I am not confident that travel for fun can be safe in a year, there is a good chance that I won't be able to use the credit.
Ah.

Obviously it is difficult to predict, but if things were on the upswing for travel by Q4 of 2021 - could you go in December of 2021 to Lisbon (same trip you had planned, just one year later)?

CyclingDuo
Yes. I could. We may do that.
That's probably what we would plan for if it were us. One would think that therapeutics and knowledge of how to best use them will have continued to improve, vaccines will be underway, and the virus itself will have petered out enough to the point of a much higher level of safety come 12/21 to make the trip and enjoy yourselves.

That being said, I wouldn't be too quick to book the flight in January...

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:17 am
student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 am
CyclingDuo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:57 am
student wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 amThe customer service representative told me that the credit is good for one year. I called the credit card company benefits line (Chase Sapphire Reserve), and I was told that this is not covered under trip cancellation insurance due to the pandemic. Given that I am not confident that travel for fun can be safe in a year, there is a good chance that I won't be able to use the credit.
Ah.

Obviously it is difficult to predict, but if things were on the upswing for travel by Q4 of 2021 - could you go in December of 2021 to Lisbon (same trip you had planned, just one year later)?

CyclingDuo
Yes. I could. We may do that.
That's probably what we would plan for if it were us. One would think that therapeutics and knowledge of how to best use them will have continued to improve, vaccines will be underway, and the virus itself will have petered out enough to the point of a much higher level of safety come 12/21 to make the trip and enjoy yourselves.

That being said, I wouldn't be too quick to book the flight in January...

CyclingDuo
Yes. I plan to wait a while before I book a flight, maybe for a last min deal. I would not travel unless I feel that it is safe.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

Update: I have yet to receive any official info on the vouchers. Chatted with Expedia today, the customer service agent gave me some numbers supposedly are voucher numbers, and claimed that they were talking with the hotel while we were chatting, and the hotel promised that they will send me the info within half an hour. Nothing. I think I will be out $1,500 and Expedia will have to pay its to staff to spend many hours talking to me.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 66363
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic rant regarding coronavirus and (lack of) travel restrictions.

As a reminder, see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pasadena
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by pasadena »

Which country in Europe?

Each country has set their own rules. Foe example France has an ordinance saying that hotels may issue a voucher, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, they have to refund. This takes over from the hotel's cancellation policy (travel restrictions are a clear COVID problem).
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 pm Which country in Europe?

Each country has set their own rules. Foe example France has an ordinance saying that hotels may issue a voucher, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, they have to refund. This takes over from the hotel's cancellation policy (travel restrictions are a clear COVID problem).
Portugal. Do you now whether they have any special rules?
pasadena
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by pasadena »

student wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm
pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 pm Which country in Europe?

Each country has set their own rules. Foe example France has an ordinance saying that hotels may issue a voucher, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, they have to refund. This takes over from the hotel's cancellation policy (travel restrictions are a clear COVID problem).
Portugal. Do you now whether they have any special rules?
They apparently do, but for stays up to September 30th. I don't know if this has been or will be extended. You should research this and call them directly.

Voir ici (in Portuguese) or here in English
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 pm
student wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm
pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 pm Which country in Europe?

Each country has set their own rules. Foe example France has an ordinance saying that hotels may issue a voucher, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, they have to refund. This takes over from the hotel's cancellation policy (travel restrictions are a clear COVID problem).
Portugal. Do you now whether they have any special rules?
They apparently do, but for stays up to September 30th. I don't know if this has been or will be extended. You should research this and call them directly.

Voir ici (in Portuguese) or here in English
Thank you so much.
pasadena
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:23 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by pasadena »

student wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 am
pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 pm
student wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm
pasadena wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 pm Which country in Europe?

Each country has set their own rules. Foe example France has an ordinance saying that hotels may issue a voucher, and if the voucher isn't used within 18 months, they have to refund. This takes over from the hotel's cancellation policy (travel restrictions are a clear COVID problem).
Portugal. Do you now whether they have any special rules?
They apparently do, but for stays up to September 30th. I don't know if this has been or will be extended. You should research this and call them directly.

Voir ici (in Portuguese) or here in English
Thank you so much.
You're welcome.

(Lol I just realized I wrote partly in French :oops: (so, Voir ici means See here))
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cancelling upcoming trip

Post by student »

I have finally received a confirmation from Expedia about the voucher. I have also contacted the hotel directly verifying that the voucher is good until the end of next year.

Thank you for your help.
Post Reply