Incorrect home history information, what to do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
squirm

Incorrect home history information, what to do?

Post by squirm »

My older sister has lived in the same house for 30 years, however public records from Zillow show the house was sold 15 years ago. How would this happen what do you do to fix it?
stan1

Re: Incorrect home history information, what to do?

Post by stan1 »

There are lots of sources for data errors. I'd start with the county or town (authoritative source of the data). What do their records say?

Also, why does it matter (other than principle of correctness)?
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

If it was refinanced with a new mortgage Zillow might pick it up as being sold?
mkc

Post by mkc »

Zillow is not a source for public records. The county tax office is. What do their records state?

ETA for example, Zillow lists the sale of our property as a "history" item for another property, completely different, in our neighborhood that is currently for sale. It also shows other sales in our neighborhood in the history of that property. The tax office records show no such errors.

Zillow's underlying algorithm attempts to match public data to properties, but it has no direct link to receive correct input for a given parcel.
Last edited by mkc on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bayview

Post by bayview »

squirm wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:22 am My older sister has lived in the same house for 30 years, however public records from Zillow show the house was sold 15 years ago. How would this happen what do you do to fix it?
I doubt this would be an issue if she ever wants to sell, but she could create an account in Zillow and go in and edit as an owner.

She didn’t do a refi or HEL or HELOC 15 years ago, did she? Or change the title in any way? Otherwise, Zillow is full of silly stuff, as well as misleading. (Don’t get me started on the “waterfront” filter. :x )
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

[/quote]
(Don’t get me started on the “waterfront” filter. :x )
[/quote]

Hmmm, you're giving me ideas :twisted: :twisted:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

As long as the official records (deed records) are correct, I wouldn't give it another thought.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Teague

Post by Teague »

bayview wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm
I doubt this would be an issue if she ever wants to sell, but she could create an account in Zillow and go in and edit as an owner.

She didn’t do a refi or HEL or HELOC 15 years ago, did she? Or change the title in any way? Otherwise, Zillow is full of silly stuff, as well as misleading. (Don’t get me started on the “waterfront” filter. :x )
Let me guess, "waterfront" means sprinkler system, flood zone, or neighbor's property drains to yours?
Semper Augustus
bayview

Post by bayview »

Teague wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Let me guess, "waterfront" means sprinkler system, flood zone, or neighbor's property drains to yours?
lol, pretty much. If I squint on Google maps, I can sometimes see a creek. :twisted:
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have a gutter at the curb that fills with water when it rains, does that count as waterfront?
Watty

Post by Watty »

jfn111 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 am If it was refinanced with a new mortgage Zillow might pick it up as being sold?
Some other reasons could be if she set up a trust, was divorced, widowed, or changed her name. There are probably lots of other reasons.

One other thing to do would be to also look at Zillow for any of her neighbors who have lived there more than 15 years. It could be that Zillow could only get electronic records that go back 15 years so that it shows that everyone in that neighborhood bought their house 15 years ago.

Post by 123 »

Zillow was founded in December 2004 according to the internet. That was 15 years ago. I would suspect the incorrect date is tied to the date that Zillow started keeping records. The internet is not know for accuracy and completeness.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bayview

Post by bayview »

stan1 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 pm

I have a gutter at the curb that fills with water when it rains, does that count as waterfront?
If you’re a realtor listing on Zillow, apparently so!