New Job Offer - $100,000 Raise - Would I Be a Fool to Not Accept?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

New Job Offer - $100,000 Raise - Would I Be a Fool to Not Accept?

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

Hi everyone.  Need the collective wisdom of the group as to whether or not I should accept a new job. Im not sure exactly why I'm even grappling with this. I think mainly it's because my current job is pretty chill and my coworkers and boss are cool. I go to work, do my thing, and spend the rest of my time with my family/friends. Basically, the inertia associated with the comfort of being somewhere pretty good for the past six years is making the decision harder (than maybe it should be).

Current job: 
* $110,000 base salary
* $ 75,000 average bonuses last few years (on pace for the same this year)
* $185,000 average total comp last few years
* 1,500 options vested (private company, won't be worth anything until some sort of equity event)
* Benefits - average at best (high deductible health plan but no HSA option; company did away with 401k)

Pros: very laid back; No one bothers me; not a ton of annoying internal meetings; generally like my coworkers
Cons (aside from above): Company was recently sold and although jobs are likely safe, the culture will probably change slowly to maybe eliminate the above pros (and company will almost certainly sell again in ~5 years at which point who knows what will happen). One-hour commute(each way), 3 days per week.

New job:
* $190,000 base
* $ 95,000 target bonus (I'm on the commercial team so it's my job to earn this bonus plus most of it is guaranteed the first year)
* $ $285,000 total projected comp 
* 30,000 options (growth company (but already well-established in a hot segment of an established industry) backed by top flight VC firm; will vest over 4 years)
* Benefits - excellent (extremely low deductible ($200 for family), low cost health, HSA option for HDHP, 401k with match)

Pros: opportunity to stretch; growth company; 100% remote (in MCOL city)
Cons: much more corporate/bureaucratic; general uncertainty with starting a new job (though the company is stable)

Personal considerations:
* I'm primary breadwinner; wife earns less than 1/2 of my current base salary); 2 young kids in preschool; currently, my wife's salary plus my base salary covers all our recurring expenses
* We're in our late 30s but only recently started aggressively saving for retirement (before 401k was cut; I also have an IRA and a solo 401k from previous entrepreneurial ventures).
* have a student loan to pay off as well as 20 years remaining on a $300k (principal) mortgage at 3.175%.  
* I'm pretty laid back and part of me enjoys not being bothered at work; but at the same time, I'm probably too "young" and too asset poor (by this board's standards) to try to cruise right now.
* If I take the new job, I would max out EVERY conceivable retirement account (for both me and wife) and maintain my current lifestyle (I don't feel the need to expand our lifestyle)
Last edited by ThreeScreens88 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
DarkHelmetII

Re: New Job Offer - $100,000 Raise - Would I Be a Fool to Not Accept?

Post by DarkHelmetII »

1) If only downside of new job is more bureaucratic for that bump in base I'd take it, assuming other factors are similar (see #2 and #3)
2) What is the commute differential, if any?
3) Aside from commute how is the impact to personal life?
4) Try to convert variable compensation of new job into base (assuming you want this and new employer doesn't know your current comp details) - bump in base as-is is very nice but still, as a general rule, I would prefer to have more base than the unknowns associated with variable pay especially walking into a new organization
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 am 1) If only downside of new job is more bureaucratic for that bump in base I'd take it, assuming other factors are similar (see #2 and #3)
4) Try to convert variable compensation of new job into base (assuming you want this and new employer doesn't know your current comp details) - bump in base as-is is very nice but still, as a general rule, I would prefer to have more base than the unknowns associated with variable pay especially walking into a new organization
Thanks!

New commute: walk from my bedroom to my home office; Old commute: an hour each way, three days per week.
Impact to personal life: probably a bit more travel (quick travel for meetings); I'm GUESSING that it will almost certainly be more stressful (not because of any particular concern about the new job but only because my current job is practically stress free).
toocold

Post by toocold »

That's a fair compensation bump for the risk of moving to a new company.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Sounds like a nice upgrade. I would take it. Congratulations!
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
wilked

Post by wilked »

Does your spouse have interest in stopping work?

My wife would take advantage of this to stop working (we have two young kids also) and it would make the overall happiness of the household increase
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

The cons for a new job don't read like cons. I"m confused as to how much more bureaucratic a young, growth company could be. I'm not seeing the downside of the new job.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am
DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 am 1) If only downside of new job is more bureaucratic for that bump in base I'd take it, assuming other factors are similar (see #2 and #3)
Thanks!

New commute: walk from my bedroom to my home office; Old commute: an hour each way, three days per week.
Impact to personal life: probably a bit more travel (quick travel for meetings); I'm GUESSING that it will almost certainly be more stressful (not because of any particular concern about the new job but only because my current job is practically stress free).
saving 6 hours / week in driving time sounds like a slam dunk for new job. acknowledging "quick travel for meetings" might be somewhat greater but still ....
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

wilked wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:06 am Does your spouse have interest in stopping work?

My wife would take advantage of this to stop working (we have two young kids also) and it would make the overall happiness of the household increase
It's definitely a consideration, if something were to happen to her job with the new salary, it would impact savings but not daily life.

My wife, though, would wither and blow away in the wind if she had to be a stay-at-home-mom. She actually could double her income but likes the balance of working a low-stress (but still pretty decent) job and being able to attend to the kids whenever she needs to.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

That's a big enough jump to risk it
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I cannot for the life of me imagine why you’d stay at the current job.

Even if the new job doesn’t work out you’ve moved yourself into an entirely different comp realm and that will help you immensely on the next move. $100k raises don’t just grow on trees.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I would say do it. You are too young to take the cruise.

One thing in your post alarms me a bit. You said you currently use all your base and your wife's salary for recurring expenses. If that means you have been counting on your bonus for savings and extra expenses, I wonder if you aren't spending more than you should already. You said you wouldn't expand your lifestyle, which is good, but there is a danger all this extra money might nudge you to. I think it's time to make a longer-term financial plan and really focus on putting some money away.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I think it worth exploring why you posted this thread, as it would seem to be either an effort to simply confirm your thoughts or a question about the financial choice which is pretty obvious versus an overall, lifestyle choice which is perhaps not so obvious. What does your wife think? How is working from home going to impact your relationship? Does it interact with children or planned children? Do you live in a HCOL or LCOL area? Does your current lifestyle reflect any feeling of being concerned about being able to purchase what you desire? How important is the "chill" part of your current job? It certainly appears you are perceived as a strong worker, and the offer is one many would jump at. However, the only ones that count are you and your decisions. Do you have goals of moving beyond this job? I suspect most here will say take it. Best of luck.

Tim
Point

Post by Point »

I’d take the new job and at the same time become more specific on my annual budget and expenditures, along with investment goals. It’s all a bit fuzzy, so there is the chance you will have expenditure and lifestyle creep. Make a plan with your spouse and stick to it. Then, if either position fails, you will have more financial certainty.
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

MarkerFM wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 am I would say do it. You are too young to take the cruise.

One thing in your post alarms me a bit. You said you currently use all your base and your wife's salary for recurring expenses. If that means you have been counting on your bonus for savings and extra expenses, I wonder if you aren't spending more than you should already. You said you wouldn't expand your lifestyle, which is good, but there is a danger all this extra money might nudge you to. I think it's time to make a longer-term financial plan and really focus on putting some money away.
Thanks so much for the advice and concern. Definitely no risk of lifestyle creep. We're good where we are and we're pretty militant about saving and budgeting (and debt reduction). By recurring expenses, I mean practically everything including travel, retirement savings (at an admittedly lower level than we'd have liked over the past couple years), etc. And really we've just been in the midst of an expensive time in life (preschool, for example, costs significantly more than my monthly mortgage payment). But yeah, expenses have been on a downward trajectory even as income has grown.
Last edited by ThreeScreens88 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Take the new job.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

Nowizard wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am I think it worth exploring why you posted this thread, as it would seem to be either an effort to simply confirm your thoughts or a question about the financial choice which is pretty obvious versus an overall, lifestyle choice which is perhaps not so obvious. What does your wife think? How is working from home going to impact your relationship? Does it interact with children or planned children? Do you live in a HCOL or LCOL area? Does your current lifestyle reflect any feeling of being concerned about being able to purchase what you desire? How important is the "chill" part of your current job? It certainly appears you are perceived as a strong worker, and the offer is one many would jump at. However, the only ones that count are you and your decisions. Do you have goals of moving beyond this job? I suspect most here will say take it. Best of luck.

Tim
Hey, Tim

A bit of both, really. The financial decision seems clear. But then I ask myself how much income is enough (but clearly, I'm not at that point yet). When it comes to these decisions my wife's excitement will always mirror mine (unless it's some ridiculously random decision like quitting my career to join a rock band). She senses that I'm excited to increase my income but nervous about leaving a comfortable job.

I think the main thing for me is that before this job, I had a never had a job where Monday mornings felt perfectly natural --- Mondays and Fridays feel the same to me now. I can't recall what the "Sunday night/Monday morning blues" feel like.

The thing I feel like I'm currently lacking from the new job is the ability to save more right now. I plug in max retirement contributions with the new job (maxed 401Ks + matches; maxed backdoor roth IRAs; HSA contributions; taxable contributions) and I'm amazed at the potential growth. I have no plans or desire to spend more on lifestyle/material purchases (with maybe one exception -- I'd probably use any excess money beyond the heavy savings to travel a bit more with my family, which I typically do now (or at least pre-pandemic) by using CC reward points)). My main goal with more money is to save more!

To address your other questions: I live in a medium COL area -- some would say LCOL. And yes, I definitely work hard in general but I also enjoy being able to set my own agenda and not wasting time on unnecessary meetings. There's also a bit of nervousness about meeting new professional challenges of the new role --- but I suspect that's the only way to truly keep growing as a professional! And no, I don't really have goals of moving beyond this job --- if my general expectations are met, I'll keep climbing the ranks (in terms of responsibilities and title) but I feel like if I ever leave I'd rather do so to start my own business than anything else.
Last edited by ThreeScreens88 on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

Just here to echo the others that you should definitely take the new role. Also will echo that your spending seems a tad on the high side, but also understandable with young child expenses.

Your options have vested, but have you exercised them. If not, will you?
midareff

Post by midareff »

knowledge wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:08 am The cons for a new job don't read like cons. I"m confused as to how much more bureaucratic a young, growth company could be. I'm not seeing the downside of the new job.
Amen... I think the OP is way overthinking this... and 100% remote.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

Thanks!

This is a no brainer. Congrats on the new job
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Thanks!

Congrats on the offer. If the work is what you want to do, if you are able to balance family and prioritize personal life, if the company has a good reputation and future outlook, if that manager seems good, and if you are ready to learn and push yourself and go the extra mile to build connections virtually, then I say go for it! Keep investing early and often. Best wishes!
VTSAX and chill
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

You must be a person way better at considering all options than me. I wouldn't even hesitate and would accept the new position. It's 100% FOR SURE Go-Time! Just do it!

Enjoy and congrats!
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 am
Thanks!

this new "commute" is very nice...so YES, take the new job! and congratulations on the raise!
bestisfree

Post by bestisfree »

before you switch jobs, will you be able to refinance your mortgage to take advantage of lower rates now? Not a reason not to take the new job offer, but worth considering the order of things especially if your new start date is later.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

so $100K boost in pay, and six less hours commuting, so I would think any added stress from a less low key job, would be offset by 6 less hours driving... and then there is that whole $100K boost part....plus better benefits... seems like an easy no brainer.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

ThreeScreens88 wrote:100% remote (in MCOL city)
I'd take the new job, but be aware that nothing is really 100% remote. There will be times you have to go in. So, how often do you have to show up in the office in person and how far away is it? Will being practically 100% remote affect how your bosses think of you since you won't be around? A few years ago not being front and center would be a definite detriment. I'm not sure it is anymore.

Will you be able to set up a private space in your home for quiet work and Zoom-type calls? Young children usually think that when Daddy's home he's available to them. There will be some adjustments.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I would definitely go for the new job!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

That’s a nice job offer. I’m not sure if you’d be a fool to turn it down.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but are you happy at your current job? It almost reads as if you’re not challenged at all and might like to have a challenge.

For me, my only regrets in life are the things I don’t do, or the chances I didn’t take. If you turned this down, do you think you’d regret it, or question it later in life?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Duckie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:55 pm
ThreeScreens88 wrote:100% remote (in MCOL city)
I'd take the new job, but be aware that nothing is really 100% remote. There will be times you have to go in. So, how often do you have to show up in the office in person and how far away is it? Will being practically 100% remote affect how your bosses think of you since you won't be around? A few years ago not being front and center would be a definite detriment. I'm not sure it is anymore.
My mother, who is a project manager in healthcare SAAS, has been 100% remote for two decades. At the moment she actually works full-time for one company (she's been with them for ~15yrs) and part-time for another (been with them 3-4yrs) and their offices are in LA and Austin...she's in Utah and has never been to either office. I know quite a few people in similar situations.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Take new job. Congrats
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Take new job. Congrats
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:59 am
I think the main thing for me is that before this job, I had a never had a job where Monday mornings felt perfectly natural --- Mondays and Fridays feel the same to me now. I can't recall what the "Sunday night/Monday morning blues" feel like.
This is where I pause. A job at $185k that can be described like this is true blessing. If I thought that the current job would continue to be so and the new job would not fit this description, then no way would an extra $100k be worth it. But I suspect that I do not need to express this to you as your wife has already modeled a lifestyle choice over income. And, for example, virtually every STEM graduate who has taken an academic position over a corporate one has made a job satisfaction over salary decision.

However, from your posts, it appears that you may not be sure if the current job will continue to be great and if the new job will not be just as great. Personally, at your income level, happiness should be more related to the non compensatory parts of the job than another $100k.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

How will you feel at age 50 when you look back?
Will you wish you'd taken the higher pay?
Will you be able to cover all your bills including healthcare and LTC if you decide you want to quit it all?
Personally, I feel that during one's 40's that one should be playing at the peak of their game.
Go for it!
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

+1 for the new job. A couple of other things to consider...
1) Ask if you can invest directly in addition to the options you're granted. It's a good way to see if you're able to find out their cap table plus a signal to them that you're bullish about working for them. If they ask how much, just give them a vague "5 figures" answer.
2) Do the math on the options strike price and "possible" future gain e.g. $10 future gain x 30,000 = $300,000 / 4 years = $75,000/yr pre tax & $40,000 post-tax. Then risk adjust it e.g. 20% chance of realizing that gain = $75,000 x 25% = $15,000 pre tax. Of course expect them to play the game of "your options could be worth millions! thats why we wont give you more comp...". But the reality is that you should never expect too much actual gains from your options unless you get "lucky".

Also expect a significant increase in "politics" - just be mentally prepared for that. Otherwise enjoy the extra income, career advancement, higher savings rate, etc. etc. etc.!

Post by 123 »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am ...New commute: walk from my bedroom to my home office; Old commute: an hour each way, three days per week...
If being on site isn't a regular and consistent part of your responsibilities I would have some concerns that you'll be regarded as one of the most "disposable" if cutbacks are necessary. Yes I know that WFH is all the rage but on a long-term basis I think it diminishes the ability to acquire stature among your superiors.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

It sounds like you're almost too comfortable. Since you're current company has been sold you may be facing unknowns that you may not like in the future. There are a lot of rewards for diving into the deep end and getting out of your comfort level. If you end up not liking it, at least you're being paid well.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Sounds like a great opportunity, but I'd also caution that performance/delivery expectations are also probably equally as great. I wouldn't take the job thinking you're going to maintain a cush, stress free 40 hour work week.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Yes, what does your partner think?
hnd

Post by hnd »

i potentially will be in a similar situation in a year.

But I will say I've had a situation arise where I saw this near exact situation play out.

The guy that hired me eventually left and made a similar move that you made.

1st company -

single owner private company, laid back environment. no meetings. downside was the owner was nearing 60, mostly retired and basically wanted to take 0 risks.

so he leaves to a startup thats VC funded and within a few years he's making double what he was earning but its a much more corporate environment, and everything has to be exactly like so to meet the demands of the VC funders. eventually bureaucracy gets the best of him he's backstabbed into a different position, new money from new VC's come in and everything is changed and he's basically worked to the bone and feels just like a cog in a machine.

I don't think he regrets the move but i think it was eyeopening for him. and I think at times when we talk, I can tell he longs for my day instead of his day.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am Company was recently sold and although jobs are likely safe, the culture will probably change slowly to maybe eliminate the above pros (and company will almost certainly sell again in ~5 years at which point who knows what will happen).
In a lot of ways your old job does not exist and it is just a matter of time before people start being replaced, restructured into new positions, or decide to leave on their own.

You likely decided to look around to see what other jobs are available because of the changes. There is no reason to think that your coworkers and managers are not doing the same and some of them may be leaving soon.

I would look at this as if you were unemployed and looking at two job offers for new jobs.

As others have said it is an easy choice to take the new position.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

There are a few things that I've never regretted when it comes to career choices:
  • Leaving a company that had recently been bought. Especially when the job was nice, fun, light on administrative red tape, and comfortable. Unless the comany and job is really bad, then the new one won't make it better for existing employees - nor their comfort.
  • Getting out of my comfort zone. Somewhat related to the above, and never easy, but it's always paid off, one way or another. Even when the move didn't work in itself and I had to move again - I always learned something valuable, added something valuable to my resume or simply got my compensation / title to a better base for negotiating the next one. At worst, I was able to say - hey, I tried. If I hadn't, I would have regretted it (what if....)
  • Reducing commute.
  • Making twice as much money as before :moneybag
You seem young. Opportunities for future growth, whether at the new company or another one down the road, is very, very important criteria. Comfort and coasting will come later.
Last edited by pasadena on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am Hi everyone.  Need the collective wisdom of the group as to whether or not I should accept a new job. Im not sure exactly why I'm even grappling with this. I think mainly it's because my current job is pretty chill and my coworkers and boss are cool. I go to work, do my thing, and spend the rest of my time with my family/friends. Basically, the inertia associated with the comfort of being somewhere pretty good for the past six years is making the decision harder (than maybe it should be).

Current job: 
* $110,000 base salary
* 1,500 options vested (private company, won't be worth anything until some sort of equity event)
* Benefits - average at best (high deductible health plan but no HSA option; company did away with 401k)

Pros: very laid back; No one bothers me; not a ton of annoying internal meetings; generally like my coworkers
Cons (aside from above): Company was recently sold and although jobs are likely safe, the culture will probably change slowly to maybe eliminate the above pros (and company will almost certainly sell again in ~5 years at which point who knows what will happen). One-hour commute(each way), 3 days per week.

New job:
* $190,000 base
* $ 95,000 target bonus (I'm on the commercial team so it's my job to earn this bonus plus most of it is guaranteed the first year)
* 30,000 options (growth company (but already well-established in a hot segment of an established industry) backed by top flight VC firm; will vest over 4 years)
* Benefits - excellent (extremely low deductible ($200 for family), low cost health, HSA option for HDHP, 401k with match)

Cons: much more corporate/bureaucratic; general uncertainty with starting a new job (though the company is stable)

Personal considerations:
* I'm primary breadwinner; wife earns less than 1/2 of my current base salary); 2 young kids in preschool; currently, my wife's salary plus my base salary covers all our recurring expenses
* We're in our late 30s but only recently started aggressively saving for retirement (before 401k was cut; I also have an IRA and a solo 401k from previous entrepreneurial ventures).
* have a student loan to pay off as well as 20 years remaining on a $300k (principal) mortgage at 3.175%.  
* I'm pretty laid back and part of me enjoys not being bothered at work; but at the same time, I'm probably too "young" and too asset poor (by this board's standards) to try to cruise right now.
* If I take the new job, I would max out EVERY conceivable retirement account (for both me and wife) and maintain my current lifestyle (I don't feel the need to expand our lifestyle)
If you enjoy what you do and make enough to live and retire comfortably, the people you work with are what makes or breaks the job. If I could make double the salary working the same job with people who are mean and make my life worse, I wouldn't do it. I love my meaningful lower-paying job because of the people and the culture. Wouldn't give it up for a higher-paying job.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Bureaucracy is a waste of time, but so is commuting. You're probably going to spend less time dealing with bureaucracy than you already do driving, even ignoring compensation.

That said, I don't think it's an easy decision necessarily. It's a lot of money, but if your current company has more interesting work, better coworkers, etc. then I could see an argument for staying.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

I would take the new job. To the extent I'd have any reservations, it would be wrt the fully remote part. While that sounds great in the abstract, I personally like a separation between my work and personal life and depending on your goals, I can see it being detrimental to your long term career progression. On the other hand, if working remote is the norm for your new firm, this may not be an issue.

Anyway, don't burn bridges and if you leave on good terms with your current employer, they will likely take you back if you learn later that the grass is not greener on the other side.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 am\
A work-from-home job during a pandemic that pays nearly twice as much? Seems like the clear winner to me.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

Thanks, all!

It looks like the choice is pretty clear -- take the new opportunity, learn, grow, work hard, save. Win, lose, or draw, have no regrets and keep progressing! Thanks for the great advice, as always!
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

MarkerFM wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 am I would say do it. You are too young to take the cruise.

+1 I was going to post a similar response.
Your current base is $110k and "wife earns less than half of that" so lets put it at $50k.
"My wife salary plus my base covers all our current expenses" = $160kish in expenses.
Seems extraordinarily high. Whatever you do, focus on saving more.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am * I'm primary breadwinner; wife earns less than 1/2 of my current base salary); 2 young kids in preschool; currently, my wife's salary plus my base salary covers all our recurring expenses.
So you have $160k+ a year in recurring expenses? Yeah I’d take the job. I’d also look at what you are spending 14k a month on. :wink:
Topic Author
ThreeScreens88

Post by ThreeScreens88 »

Monsterflockster wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:38 pm
ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am * I'm primary breadwinner; wife earns less than 1/2 of my current base salary); 2 young kids in preschool; currently, my wife's salary plus my base salary covers all our recurring expenses.
So you have $160k+ a year in recurring expenses? Yeah I’d take the job. I’d also look at what you are spending 14k a month on. :wink:
:D More like $8,000 per month in expenses --- $2500 of which is for preschool tuition/childcare.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

ThreeScreens88 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 am Hi everyone.  Need the collective wisdom of the group as to whether or not I should accept a new job. Im not sure exactly why I'm even grappling with this. I think mainly it's because my current job is pretty chill and my coworkers and boss are cool. I go to work, do my thing, and spend the rest of my time with my family/friends. Basically, the inertia associated with the comfort of being somewhere pretty good for the past six years is making the decision harder (than maybe it should be).

Current job: 
* $110,000 base salary

New job:
* $190,000 base

Personal considerations:
Without a doubt, I would take the new job offer if it were an increase in my job title.

I wish you the best of luck on your new journey.

Strive for greatness and best of luck.