Housing decision

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
nydoc

Housing decision

Post by nydoc »

Hi,
Need some advice about housing situation. We were looking for a house then put it on hold due to covid. We moved to a house close to my workplace hospital. Now I am liking this situation a lot. I can stay home while on call, go home in between surgeries to have lunch etc. Family is happy too. I have a 2 year old daughter. However, the school district is not good and area is also not one of the best. We can move to a nice suburb school district with large house and everything but that will result in staying away from family a lot. What is the prudent next course is action?
Thanks
xerxes101

Re: Housing decision

Post by xerxes101 »

nydoc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 pm Hi,
Need some advice about housing situation. We were looking for a house then put it on hold due to covid. We moved to a house close to my workplace hospital. Now I am liking this situation a lot. I can stay home while on call, go home in between surgeries to have lunch etc. Family is happy too. I have a 2 year old daughter. However, the school district is not good and area is also not one of the best. We can move to a nice suburb school district with large house and everything but that will result in staying away from family a lot. What is the prudent next course is action?
Thanks
Is there a good private school nearby that you could consider for your daughter?..Seems like a good compromise to me: you get to stay close to your work and have more family time and your daughter gets to go to a better school.
deikel

Post by deikel »

xerxes101 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:34 pm
Thanks
Is there a good private school nearby that you could consider for your daughter?..Seems like a good compromise to me: you get to stay close to your work and have more family time and your daughter gets to go to a better school.
+1

I will guess that the area is also cheaper in housing, so you could buy there, and the money saved can go to a private school for your kid - you might not even pay more AND have a better work/life balance. Also, depending on what school your kid goes to, I would argue that good vs bad school might not make a big difference or at least nothing you could not compensate for at home by simply being more present (certainly true for elementary)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

nydoc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 pm However, the school district is not good and area is also not one of the best.
What is the prudent next course is action?
Is there any chance that you could find a similar job at a suburban hospital that is in the good area that has good schools?

Even if that resulted in a bit less income that might be worth it.

If you don't have strong ties to the city you are in now the moving to some other city might be an option too if you could find someplace that would fit all your needs.

One big question is just how bad the area is when you say "not one of the best", That could be more of an issue when your daughter gets to be older and wants to do things like go out riding her bike with her friends. It had been a long time but as I recall we started letting our son do stuff like that by the time he was about 10, or even earlier, so it may not be all that long before that is more of an issue.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

All you can do is strike the best compromise you can between schools and commute time.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

We also have a 2 year old daughter. A good school district is the single most important thing for me in terms of housing.

Only you can answer your question. I wouldn't live in an area with a school district that doesn't meet my standards or live in an area that "isn't the best," which I only take to mean as it isn't a good area.

How far will you be from family if you move to the suburbs?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

What do you mean by the school is not good? Around here, there is a huge price difference in homes between the 9/10 school and the 10/10 school, but the 9/10 also has much greater diversity (which a lot of the 10/10 are also trying to avoid, but in fact tends to have a high impact on positive outcomes).

Also, if your kid is 2, you don't have to move for schools any time soon.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Private school. You can afford it.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Thanks
I say wait 3 years until your daughter is ready for kindergarten and make the decision then.
Topic Author
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

It’s a bad school area in Brooklyn. Safe otherwise. Suburbs are at least 45 min to an hour drive one way. We can send our daughter to a private Montessori school for first few years. For comparison- if we move now I will be away from home from 6 AM today to 6 PM next day 9 times a month.
HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf »

The situation is multi-layered. That said, I have a friend who has lived in Brooklyn for many years. Generally, his children were educated privately including a very expensive middle/high school in Brooklyn. He makes very good money. FWIW, I make much less and moved to the suburbs with a great school district. I educated my offspring publicly and now pay private high school bills more than said friend.

Look at your income and prospects, think about your educational philosophy, don’t underestimate the impact commuting can have on your ability to enjoy life, and be balanced with your spending (don’t be afraid to spend a bit more than a typical Boglehead would advise). Once you do that make a call without regrets. You likely have resources and can afford a misstep here and there. Life happens and things can and will evolve. I could share how in so many ways the life we lead today is not what we envisioned 15 years ago.
Watty

Post by Watty »

nydoc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm Suburbs are at least 45 min to an hour drive one way.
if we move now I will be away from home from 6 AM today to 6 PM next day 9 times a month.
Assuming that you would also have other days that you would need to make that drive I would not consider that.

Part of the problem is that when people say that they have a 45 to 60 minute commute that usually is 45 to 60 minutes on a good day but there will also be not so good days, bad days, terrible days, and the occasional commute from hell.

The commute may also be worse in the future as there is more development. When I bought my house I had a pretty consistent 30 minute commute to my office. By the time I retired 13 year later the commute was at least 45 minutes and frequently longer because the traffic was more unpredictable.

When your commute is unpredictable you will also find that you have to leave for work extra early just so you can be there on time if you have a bad commute that day.
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

This may be heresy on bogleheads.org, but in my opinion, as long as the school is safe with decent infrastructure (i.e., not crumbling), then your daughter's outcome will depend mainly on your daughter and her influences at home.

If the school is gang-infested and/or crumbling, then I would keep the short commute and pay private school tuition. That would be money well-spent, i.e., high quality-of-life per dollar.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

nydoc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm It’s a bad school area in Brooklyn. Safe otherwise. Suburbs are at least 45 min to an hour drive one way. We can send our daughter to a private Montessori school for first few years. For comparison- if we move now I will be away from home from 6 AM today to 6 PM next day 9 times a month.
Sounds like you're happy about everything except for the public schools which you don't have to worry about for another 3 years. And even when the time comes, you'll still have the Montessori option. So I would say moving now is really jumping the gun. A lot can happen in 3 years.
Topic Author
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Thanks for everyone’s replies.
Current commute is 2 mins walking. We see our friends and families living in suburbs with large houses, big yards and pool and feel like are we missing something? But at the same time, if we move to suburb now I only be home just for sleeping that too not for every night. I hope in a few years my elective practice will be productive enough that I can drop taking paid calls or will move to another hospital in a better school district with nearby housing.
I am on call today and have a case to do. OR informed me just now that there was a more urgent case by someone else so I will wait. Now I can wait at home.
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

Live close to work and be happy!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

nydoc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 pm Need some advice about housing situation. We were looking for a house then put it on hold due to covid. We moved to a house close to my workplace hospital. Now I am liking this situation a lot. I can stay home while on call, go home in between surgeries to have lunch etc. Family is happy too. I have a 2 year old daughter. However, the school district is not good and area is also not one of the best. We can move to a nice suburb school district with large house and everything but that will result in staying away from family a lot. What is the prudent next course is action?
Thee prudent course of action is to decide what is most important to you, then work to maximize that.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

nydoc wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:47 pm Thanks for everyone’s replies.
Current commute is 2 mins walking. We see our friends and families living in suburbs with large houses, big yards and pool and feel like are we missing something? But at the same time, if we move to suburb now I only be home just for sleeping that too not for every night. I hope in a few years my elective practice will be productive enough that I can drop taking paid calls or will move to another hospital in a better school district with nearby housing.
I am on call today and have a case to do. OR informed me just now that there was a more urgent case by someone else so I will wait. Now I can wait at home.
You have seen the commercial about the guy who has the big house, pool, fancy cars and asks "How do I do that? I'm in debt up to my eyeballs!" And that doesn't even address the maintenance and PITA if you don't do the work yourselves then managing the help is another job. Have you read the Millionaire Next Door? You'd be surprised to see how many M.D.s get themselves stuck in this rut.

Appearances aren't everything. Is there a good school district in Brooklyn which is a 15 minute walk or bike ride away from the hospital? As others have said, you don't need that school for a while and given your time frame you have some time to find a really special place which meets most of your needs/wants.

Good luck with your decision!
Every day I can hike is a good day.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

No advice, but I have to chime in that living close to work and lunching at home rocks! Once you get used to it, ya just can't go back.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Retired here, so no more commute, thank God.

But we live in a city neighborhood, diverse, vibrant, and all the other buzz-words. We will never, ever live in the burbs.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Topic Author
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Staying with family and teaching my daughter ourselves everyday are main priorities for me. Looks like verdict is clear- stay put.