how often do you check your net worth?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Sandtrap

Re: how often do you check your net worth?

Post by Sandtrap »

etfking wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:03 pm New to posting on the forum and a recent follower of the Bogleheads philosophy. After years of trying to actively manage and beat the market, I've succumbed to simplifying my portfolio after realizing that I wasn't generating much (if any) alpha.

As my wife and I approach the 2 comma club I wanted to ask how often people check their portfolio / net worth? Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly? I only ask because I think the obsession of reaching the $1mm mark (not that it means much given it's an arbitrary number and not our end goal) provides a sense of satisfaction but I've recently deemed it to be unhealthy and feel I need to lose the attachment given it has no bearing on my end strategy. Hope to hear others' opinions!
For me, never.
Not needed.
j😀
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

never, just keep stacking!
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:39 pm
etfking wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:03 pm New to posting on the forum and a recent follower of the Bogleheads philosophy. After years of trying to actively manage and beat the market, I've succumbed to simplifying my portfolio after realizing that I wasn't generating much (if any) alpha.

As my wife and I approach the 2 comma club I wanted to ask how often people check their portfolio / net worth? Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly? I only ask because I think the obsession of reaching the $1mm mark (not that it means much given it's an arbitrary number and not our end goal) provides a sense of satisfaction but I've recently deemed it to be unhealthy and feel I need to lose the attachment given it has no bearing on my end strategy. Hope to hear others' opinions!
For me, never.
Not needed.
j😀
+1...this guy is rocks! When you got it, you got it!
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Once a month, manually, on the same date (usually). I've been doing this religiously for about 12 years in a notebook. For me it's interesting to compare months, quarters, and years to see which were the best and worst. I can also see how my average monthly increase has changed over the years. As I add up the numbers I make a game out of it to see if I did better or worse than my monthly average. This motivates me to stay the course and keep investing.
Candor

Post by Candor »

I officially calculate it every Jan 1 but I keep an informal running tally in my head throughout the year just because I always know my financial assets and have a rough idea of other assets. I will monitor it more closely if I am nearing a nice round number.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Hardly ever. I do check about 90% of my net worth every weekday when I look up my account balances after 6:00 pm.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Normchad wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:33 pm I see it every time I start up Quicken. I do like seeing it.

Once a year, I print out a screen shot of it and put it in the filing cabinet. If I croak unexpectedly, hopefully somebody will see it and think “oh, there’s another $50k over there in some account I didn’t know we had”.
Same here. I open Quicken these days about 2x month, but when I was working it was more like weekly.
klondike

Post by klondike »

When my 25x target was in sight, I checked weekly sometimes daily as I was very stressed out by my job.
Once I reached, I check in a very good day or a very bad one like Mid March this year. When it approaches next whole $M, I checked couple times a week so I can smoke a celebratory cigar.
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

Once a week, unless I think there is an ATH during the week then I check it. So today would be a good day to do so.
RobLIC

Post by RobLIC »

I relate to what tryingtogetahead said. If there was a pill I could take to keep from looking at balances, I would. It serves no positive purpose in my life and distracts me from feeling present. And for some reason I have five different devices to do it on. :oops: :happy
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

I have a tool/system to make it easy to check essentially anytime. I check it more than weekly.
VTSAX and chill
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I update my GNUcash accounts once a week and at month end. NW display is part of that.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I check investments weekly.

I check the value of my house once a year when assessments come out. My house is about 10% of my NW.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

regularguy455 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:56 pm
bogleblitz wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm On good days like stock market at an all time high this week, I check daily. It's a quick login to an app like Mint / Personal Capital.

On bad days like Feb / March 2020. I check once a month.
Hilarious. I do the same thing.
Ditto. Same.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

twice a day. Took over from Eddie Jones first of the year, so I am so happy to be in charge! Plus, DH bought 50 shares of Tesla so its fun to watch and learn.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:36 pm My Microsoft Money 2002 works great for all financial records. I keep it up almost daily with all fund prices, expenditures and receipts. So, my net worth is available on a moments notice just by a click of the mouse. But, when do I look at it? Whenever I feel like it or when my spouse says "How are we doing." I bark back the answer, but with a whimper when it is down.
Woof Woof
Hahaha, I whimpered a little bit in March, too!
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I have a Google Sheets document that I had updated every month for the past 5 years, with balances in all my accounts and % change from the previous month. Pretty basic.

When March hit I lost interest in updating it and haven't touched it since. I kinda wish I kept with it, but now for some reason I don't really care anymore. I do check accounts individually time to time, but not the monthly review/tally anymore. Maybe Ill pick it up again next year.
matti

Post by matti »

I check my retirement balances every few months. I have never calculated my "true" net worth, which would include the impact of our mortgages, but I suspect I could guess what it is within +/- 15% or so.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

regularguy455 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:56 pm
bogleblitz wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm On good days like stock market at an all time high this week, I check daily. It's a quick login to an app like Mint / Personal Capital.

On bad days like Feb / March 2020. I check once a month.
Hilarious. I do the same thing.
This is also what I do. I know better but cannot help myself. I do wait until the morning after a big day to check.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Frugalbear wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:55 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:39 pm

For me, never.
Not needed.
j😀
+1...this guy is rocks! When you got it, you got it!
As we are retired and somewhat secure per "boglehead numbers", there's not need to over worry.. . . I hope.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

I check all of my accounts daily via mint, record accounts on the 1st of every month.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

daily..I'm on the computer a lot, so why wouldn't I? I don't find it unhealthy, I like to be on top of everything.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Every time I log I into Personal Capital. About once a week.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
galectin

Post by galectin »

Every three months I write down a complete summary of our investments for the DW. In between I informally look at how our accounts are doing (IRAs and Roths for both of us to make sure they are intact)--about once a week.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We check account balance totals twice a year for the purpose of rebalancing.

Literal net worth? Never. It just didn't occur to us when we started tracking and now that physical assets are an ever shrinking percentage of the total, it just isn't important. We might think differently if we owned real estate.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't keep track of my net worth. The information would be of no use to me. I do, however, track the market values of the funds in my investment portfolio.
TimeTheMarket

Post by TimeTheMarket »

More often than I should but technically in my Excel file I do it each april after wife's bonus comes in. I was doing march but it came in late this year and that didn't sit well with me. So april it is.
Username is not serious :)
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Once a month for record keeping and to make sure there are no shenanigans going on with our accounts.

I have enough of a handle on it that I can do a quick mental calculation (like Nisiprius) at the end of the day and come pretty close.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Daily, because it is too easy to check.

I have made a google sheet where all my positions were included. I just have to open my google sheet app on my phone or on desktop.
slyfox1357

Post by slyfox1357 »

Every other Friday, roughly 2x a month works for us. Not too frequently, not too infrequently.
wander

Post by wander »

Daily! But I don't have to login any account. It's on a spreadsheet.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

Monthly, now I’ve built out my spreadsheet to track it (along with monthly expenses, tax brackets, etc.). To me NW just a measure of accomplishment, not something to use (generally) for making financial decisions.
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

At the end of the year.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Good question. I used to devise complex spreadsheets so things would update at the touch of a button each time I opened them. I was proud of having learned excel well enough to do that, but them I would invest in something else that required a redesign. What a glorious waste of time! Now I have everything entered into Fidelity (except my house), and I see the totals every Time I log in. I don’t obsess over it (too much), but it’s fun to see, especially lately. Was not much fun in March, I must admit, when I’d lose several years’ salary per day. But that’s the nature of investing. I can almost say that and convince myself I believe it!🤔
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Every 3-6 months. Mainly when I’m getting ready to buy another house or, right now, refi a few.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Once per month in Excel. Takes about 10 minutes to update it. I like seeing the progress over time.
grettman

Post by grettman »

mancich wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:19 am Once per month in Excel. Takes about 10 minutes to update it. I like seeing the progress over time.
Ditto.
student

Post by student »

About once a week via personal capital.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

moghopper wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:22 pm I'm a Quicken holdout, so I probably see it every day, even if I'm not specifically checking for it. At this point, I'm sort of numb to it... it is just numbers.
Me too. I do pay attention to the difference between today and the same date last year.

I also look at NW when I try to interest my DW in how we are doing. She “smiles and nods.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

We keep track of all expenses and add them up each month. This was done as an exercise pre retirement to know exact costs. After a few years started adding up investment and debts. So for a few years we do it monthly. On good days I’ve mentally done math for what investments are on a regular basis. For COVID scare i decided to not add up investments as I did not want pain and emotions to guide decision making.

That which gets measured gets done.

I’d encourage people to know their expenses and to set long range goals, deciding what you want, and undertaking the steps needed to reach goals. NW calculations provide the feedback.
Pale Blue Dot
Stoic9

Post by Stoic9 »

I keep historical SS record on monthly, yearly, and track from date of retirement (1117 days ago). I like to create each year a chart that shows monthly since retirement all four financial areas of my retirement (passive income, portfolio [currently 84/16], real estate, and debt. Since retirement my NW is up 32.75%.
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

Once a month. At some point I realized I was accumulating too much in my checking/savings accounts and decided to DCA into a brokerage account. After about a year, I realized I had only made 3 or 4 small deposits, and I wasn't making a dent. I set up a reminder for the end of every month. Since I was going in and moving money around anyway, I just started recording the values...what accounts I check has expanded to essentially everything since then so I get NW number every month now...and make pretty graphs to show my progress.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Once a month I look at my retirement savings goals. Every few years, out of curiosity, I might check my networth.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Once a month, mid-month, and December 31st. And once in a while when I am curious to see if I have reached some record high or big drop. I check the IRA portion a little more often because I rebalance there more often, too.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Until COVID-19 once a month. However, I used this "event' to revamp my portfolio. I had small value etfs that haven't made a dime and I've owned them since 2008. Now that I've hit "critical mass" a 1% change in the S&P equates to +3X my monthly net income. :shock: So yeah, I keep tabs on it several times a day. Saying that, I seldom trade now. I have automatic transactions going into my Roth TSP bi monthly and I have a play money allowance of $400 a week. I just enjoy keeping up with financial news, it's a hobby and a very profitable one at the moment. For instance, I have several small holdings like Tesla and MARA (cryptocurrency) that are up over 300% since March. Great watercooler chat holding, but then again, because of COVID, I'm teleworking most days....

For the record, the vast majority of my holding are in my TSP accounts that mimic index funds.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
Filetmerlot

Post by Filetmerlot »

I tend to have my spreadsheet open while at work. It is hooked up to Factset live, so the 10% of my portfolio that trades during the day (the other 90% is just daily priced index mutual funds) I can see changes tick by tick changes in my spreadsheet totals. It's a little overkill, I know, but I'm probably watching it more closely now since we are just one good stock market day away from hitting two commas in investable assets. I'm hoping to make it before my next birthday which is a couple of weeks away.

The workbook has all my other financial data too (amort table for mortgage, SS estimates, budget, etc), so there are other reasons to look at it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I check my investment balances almost daily when I have free internet access, so most days (haven't been on a cruise in a while.) I use the Vanguard aggregation and I'm mostly looking for an unanticipated change. I have transaction alerts set up on most/all of my accounts, but it's just another way to check that nothing has gone wrong. Two accounts don't work with Yodlee so I check those less often.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Stinky wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 pm
flyingaway wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:37 pm Once each month, manually.
Once a month, but semi-manually (I use Excel).

But then again, I might check it daily if we have had several Really Good Days in a row.
I actually write each fund's value of each accounts on a paper and add them together using a calculator.
azianbob

Post by azianbob »

Once a month when I do my budget. Since I don't own a home (nor would I count it against my NW, I would only count the mortgage as a liability) and all my accounts are aggregated online, it only takes 1 minute to take a look at my NW.