My kid scratched my neighbor's new car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ponyboy

Re: My kid scratched my neighbor's new car

Post by ponyboy »

Put it like this...I have a tacoma pickup truck. Three weeks ago I was pulling out of a spot and ran the entire side against a concrete divider. Shredded door panel, half another door panel and some of the longer part of the truck near the bed part. Panels get replaced/painted...other part will need to be fixed and and painted. $2500 for the entire job.

OP didnt really say how big the scratch is, but yeah, $2400 is off the charts, no question. Also, new cars are easier to repair. Older vehicles like mine, paint fades over time. Harder to blend areas. Even if they replace the panel, which they wont, it wouldnt cost anywhere near that amount.

I would take a picture and visit a few very reputable repair places. They could give you quotes within minutes. Im all for throwing the neighbor a bone and padding the fix by $500...but what he's asking for is insanity.

Also, anyone who takes their vehicle to the same place they bought the car from for body work is out of their mind. That is not their specialty. Take your car to a real body shop who does body work every single day.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just for brainstorming how expensive is the SUV?

If it is a $50K SUV that is one thing but if it is a $20K SUV and you have a need for a new vehicle anyway then one option would be to replace his SUV with a new one and you could take the SUV with the scratch on it.

This might not be as expensive as it sounds because you could also sell whatever car you are driving now.

You would also need to consider how your state handles sales tax and registration so it might not be an option but in some states where that is not a problem it could work.
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

I can't believe the amount of people in this thread who are recommending that you try and shirk your responsibility by trying to talk a neighbor down on the cost.

The facts are indisputable. Your kid did it. You don't question a neighbor's integrity by accusing him of overcharging you. Instead, pay the piddling amount that is asked and be done with it.

After reading this thread, it's easy to see how we got to a place where every kid gets a medal no matter what place they finished in.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I don't know if it is a high estimate or not, but given that it is your responsibility and he has done the leg work to get the estimate and will be put out when the vehicle is being repaired, I'd just do it. In the long run, the example to your child and good neighbor relations will be more than any amount you might think you can / should save.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

fortunefavored wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:37 pm 2 claims and you can easily get your policy canceled
Is that true? Two claims and your policy is canceled.

We filed a claim for water damage two years ago. We may have another one as appears to be a tiny water leak down onto the downstair neighbor's unit.

Is this something I can call and ask my carrier before making a second claim?
student

Post by student »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:01 am I also responded to the joke solution about buying a replacement vehicle, and swapping. I simply tried to point out that swapping cars usually triggers a sales tax for each owner, which would render the remotely possible solution to impractical unless there was a legal way to do it without the additional tax burden. Nothing illegal or fraudulent suggested. And given the circumstances, there may well be an answer.
Yes. I posted the joke solution. (I did not see your response before it was removed.) I understand that they may be tax consequences or perhaps there is something similar to a "Section 1031 exchange" but I did not spend time to research it for a joke.
stevekozak2

Post by stevekozak2 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:55 pm
Chuck107 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:47 pm And when you hand over the check... have your son there (without his bike) and have him say he's sorry.
He needs to experience the conclusion.
Maybe have your son hand over the check.
Wow! That’s a bit much isn’t it? The kid is 7.
Tell the neighbor to keep his suv in the driveway or in the garage, it’s going to get dinged and scratched up on the road and parking lots.
It is never too early to teach a child personal responsibility and how to be a man. Parents not taking the time to do this results in a lot of problems, later, when these children age into adulthood. I think the OP is doing the exact right thing.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Didn't read the whole thread.

But my son smacked the door off his teammate's parents' brand new SUV a few years ago on a windy day as he was exiting. Wind took it because he was rushing.

Lovely ding.

I told them to get an estimate and let me know how much. It was at least 2k.

I can't tell you how much uncomfortableness that spared as we continue to see them during school and sports over the years. If we had made it a thing, it would have lingered.

Bummer, but just request a copy of the estimate and pay it.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I’m in disbelief by the number of posters saying to just pay the $2.4k without question. While you are responsible, the estimate is high and it’s reasonable for you to ask for another.

For one panel and a bumper that is excessively high. It doesn’t matter that the car is new, the labor is the same on a new or old car. If it’s a luxury car the paint may be a little more expensive but not by much.

Also the neighbor insisting on taking the car to the dealer for repair is likely unreasonable. Most car dealers will just subcontract the work to a local body shop and charge a very high markup, so the neighbor could take the car to that same shop and pay significantly less for the exact same quality of work. Usually the body shops the dealer uses aren’t rated very well (find the name of the shop and check yelp)

The only time going to the dealer would be understandable is if they own their own body shop and it is a certified repair center for that brand (BMW has several certified collision repair centers which have strict training requirements for their employees)

Finally, since the car is new, color matching should be far easier and wouldn’t require painting the entire side of the car, they should be able to just focus on the damaged panel. Matching colors is harder as cars age because the sun fades the paint and it’s not the same as when it was new. For a day old car the body shop should be able to use the paint code specified by the manufacturer and get nearly a perfect color match with little effort.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

This whole thing comes down to whether the $2,400 is reasonable for a scratch. If the neighbor came back and said $500, the OP probably would have never posted this and just paid it. Get a second estimate.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

McGilicutty wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 am I can't believe the amount of people in this thread who are recommending that you try and shirk your responsibility by trying to talk a neighbor down on the cost.

The facts are indisputable. Your kid did it. You don't question a neighbor's integrity by accusing him of overcharging you. Instead, pay the piddling amount that is asked and be done with it.

After reading this thread, it's easy to see how we got to a place where every kid gets a medal no matter what place they finished in.
+1 fully agree
FireSekr wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:54 am I’m in disbelief by the number of posters saying to just pay the $2.4k without question. While you are responsible, the estimate is high and it’s reasonable for you to ask for another.

For one panel and a bumper that is excessively high. It doesn’t matter that the car is new, the labor is the same on a new or old car. If it’s a luxury car the paint may be a little more expensive but not by much.
Its a brand new car. Of course the guy wants the repair to look as good as new. I am in disbelief by the number of shameless people here who tries to haggle the repair cost. Jesus.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

This thread is fascinating. It’s like a Rorschach test for responders.

FWIW, I would pay it, tell my kid I paid it (my kids had sufficient imagination to not have to physically hand the check over to get the lesson), tell my kid to be more careful, and be done with it.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

oldfort wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 pmHow much do you think it costs to repaint one or more complete body panels? $2400 may be a little high, but it's definitely not crazy. Have you gotten any estimates from a legitimate body shop for painting recently and Maaco doesn't count. If the vehicle is in the shop for a few days, the neighbor may need to pay for a rental vehicle.
That’s a good point about the rental. The neighbor might (rightly) ask for that, too (OP, add $400...). If the scratch is deep, $2,400 is reasonable if it involves removing and repainting multiple quarter panels, as you suggest. And any money OP might save taking it to a reputable non-dealer probably isn’t worth the effort or cost in neighborly relations.

JT
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

NorCalHiker wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:16 pm Hello,

Really would appreciate Boglehead feedback here. My 7 yr old kid was riding his bike and hit my neighbors car. The scratch seemed relatively minor but this is a brand new SUV (took delivery of it a day ago!). It looks like the estimate from the dealer's collision agent and it comes out to $2400!!

I understand that I put out the neighbor but that seems crazy high. I also understand that it's a new brand car and he wants to be made right. He's quite nice about it considering it's a brand new car. I asked him if he would consider another collision person and he said no, he wants to go to the dealer specified one because it's a new car. Any thoughts?

I know I can't contact my car insurance about this, but should I contact my home owners or umbrella insurance? Is that even something that they would cover? Nervous about calling them and having them report it on some sort of CLUE system which could negatively affect my insurance for years.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We can handle this cost, but it's such a big cost that it's got me all freaked out.
My wife backed her new car into my new car in the driveway. You wouldn't believe the cost for some minor scratches and dents - especially when a bumper is involved! :shock:

Anyway, sorry this happened as everyone upthread has said - pay the $2400 and be done with it regarding your neighbor.

My suggestion, as an avid cyclist, would be to build a little "skills" course in your driveway and yard (if it is a mountain bike, he can ride in the grass) or in a parking lot somewhere with objects so your son gets used to handling the new bike, shifting gears, how the brakes function to improve his bike handling skills. The other option is to find a bike skills course/class in your area that he can take. You want to make sure his balance and skills are appropriate to handle a variety of situations.

Bikes are a legal form of transportation, and when riding on the streets and roads - they must obey the same laws as a vehicle. Therefore, it is important to have a "driver's training" of sorts for a bicycle as well. None of us would turn our kids loose driving a vehicle without training and skill building, so we should act the same regarding a bicycle.

Here's an example from the state of Illinois for their bike skills course program....

https://illinoiscensus2020.com/publicat ... sd_a97.pdf

Inform your neighbor that junior is going to improve his skills as a result of the accident and learn to navigate his new bike on sidewalks, streets, driveways, parking lots, etc... to avoid future incidents.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

newyorker wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 am
McGilicutty wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 am I can't believe the amount of people in this thread who are recommending that you try and shirk your responsibility by trying to talk a neighbor down on the cost.

+1 fully agree
FireSekr wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:54 am I’m in disbelief by the number of posters saying to just pay the $2.4k without question. While you are responsible, the estimate is high and it’s reasonable for you to ask for another.

Its a brand new car. Of course the guy wants the repair to look as good as new. I am in disbelief by the number of shameless people here who tries to haggle the repair cost. Jesus.
+2. It is completely reasonable to get it fixed at the place you bought it from. The neighbor spends his own money there, so it’s reasonable. The neighbor didn’t do anything wrong. He is the aggrieved party. Sheesh......
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.