Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cowdogman

Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back

Post by cowdogman »

Looks like there is a new promotion for the Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back on all normally 1% and 2% back categories--that is, basically everything other than Amazon/Whole Food purchases.
anon_investor

Re: Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back

Post by anon_investor »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am Looks like there is a new promotion for the Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back on all normally 1% and 2% back categories--that is, basically everything other than Amazon/Whole Food purchases.
How does this work?
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

Do you mind sharing?
netll

Post by netll »

May I have a link for this promotion? TIA
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am Looks like there is a new promotion for the Chase Amazon Prime Card--4% back on all normally 1% and 2% back categories--that is, basically everything other than Amazon/Whole Food purchases.
Interesting. I logged into my Chase account page to see if I was eligible for this and discovered that my Chase Amazon Prime account was closed for inactivity some time ago. (Once BoA Cash Rewards started making it easy to get 5.25% on all online purchases in early 2019, I have had no reason to continue using the Amazon Prime card. I do not shop at Whole Foods.) I imagine Chase notified me some time ago, but it had no particular significance at the time and I probably thought, fine, that´s one less account to monitor.

Oh well. Most of my card usages already get 5.25% or 5% one way or another and the remainder all get at least 2.625%.
RocketShipTech

Post by RocketShipTech »

Well that’s strange. My email only said 3% cash back on everything.
RocketShipTech

Post by RocketShipTech »

I will owe $40k in tax payments in 2021.

This promotion gives me an extra 0.375% rewards above my 2.625% back with BoA cards.

Should I pay the entire $40k in November and lock in an extra $150 in rewards, or should I wait to take advantage the extra five months of interest-free loan (and potentially a better cash back offer in the future)?

Sigh decisions decisions
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

RocketShipTech wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 am Well that’s strange. My email only said 3% cash back on everything.
What did your email said? I have not received anything yet...
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

Hey, my offer was for 2%! :annoyed
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

mine said 3%.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

I did not get an email about my (very active) Chase Amazon card.

I logged into my account, and there's no there there.

Guess I might have to call Chase. /Sigh.../
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am
Interesting. I logged into my Chase account page to see if I was eligible for this and discovered that my Chase Amazon Prime account was closed for inactivity some time ago. (Once BoA Cash Rewards started making it easy to get 5.25% on all online purchases in early 2019, I have had no reason to continue using the Amazon Prime card. I do not shop at Whole Foods.) I imagine Chase notified me some time ago, but it had no particular significance at the time and I probably thought, fine, that´s one less account to monitor.

Oh well. Most of my card usages already get 5.25% or 5% one way or another and the remainder all get at least 2.625%.
I am with BOA but I've never seen an offer this good. How did you get 5.25%? Can you share?
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Hug401k wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 am

I am with BOA but I've never seen an offer this good. How did you get 5.25%? Can you share?
With Platinum Honors status with BoA/Merrill, you can get 5.25% on the bonus category of your choice (dining/travel/home improvement/online shopping) with the Cash Rewards card, 3.5% on groceries with the Cash Rewards card, 3.5% on travel and dining with the Premium Rewards card, and 2.625% on everything else with the Premium Rewards card. The Premium Rewards does have an annual $95 fee, but it also has a $100 incidental travel benefit that some have used to purchase American Airlines gift cards and resell them.
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

OP here.

Here's a cut and paste from my email (see red font):
Ends February 11, 2021
We know you love earning extra rewards on your Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases with your Amazon Rewards Visa Card.

Now, we're giving you the opportunity to earn 4% Back everywhere else you use your card until February 11, 2021. So instead of earning 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% Back on everyday purchases, you'll earn a total of 4% Back in all of these categories.

Purchases must post to your account by February 11, 2021. This offer doesn't include purchases at Amazon.com or Whole Foods Market.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 am OP here.

Ends February 11, 2021
We know you love earning extra rewards on your Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases with your Amazon Rewards Visa Card.

Now, we're giving you the opportunity to earn 4% Back everywhere else you use your card until February 11, 2021. So instead of earning 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% Back on everyday purchases, you'll earn a total of 4% Back in all of these categories.

Purchases must post to your account by February 11, 2021. This offer doesn't include purchases at Amazon.com or Whole Foods Market.
It sounds like this only applies if you already have the card, and as another poster says, even then it depends on what category they have placed you in. So, it is a promotion to get you to use the card, rather than a promotion you can sign up for. Which is too bad, I am getting ready to make a bunch of charitable donations and while some will get the BOA 5.24 for online, most will only get 2%.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sailaway wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 am
cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 am OP here.

Ends February 11, 2021

It sounds like this only applies if you already have the card, and as another poster says, even then it depends on what category they have placed you in. So, it is a promotion to get you to use the card, rather than a promotion you can sign up for. Which is too bad, I am getting ready to make a bunch of charitable donations and while some will get the BOA 5.24 for online, most will only get 2%.
I have the card already, but did not receive the email... as nother posting said their email only said 3%, so maybe it is targeted...
mhc

Post by mhc »

I got the same 4% offer. I have only used my Chase card for Amazon purchases. I guess they are trying to get me in the habit of using the Chase card for everything. I have not decided yet if it is worth it because the 4% ends in Feb 2021. I have been spending very little since Covid hit.
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 am
How does this work?
With the Chase Amazon Prime Card the cardholder gets a cashback election each month at statement time--5% for Amazon/Whole Foods, 2% for restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% for everything else. You can use the cash back as a statement credit, transfer to a Chase account or just let the credit build up (and use later).

The promotion changes the 1% and 2% categories to 4% thru Feb 11,2021.
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

mhc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am I got the same 4% offer. I have only used my Chase card for Amazon purchases. I guess they are trying to get me in the habit of using the Chase card for everything. I have not decided yet if it is worth it because the 4% ends in Feb 2021. I have been spending very little since Covid hit.
Same for me on the Amazon only usage--my usual Amazon monthly bill is between $500 and $1,500. It will definitely be worth it for me to use the Amazon card for everything thru Feb 11.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:47 am
How does this work?
With the Chase Amazon Prime Card the cardholder gets a cashback election each month at statement time--5% for Amazon/Whole Foods, 2% for restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% for everything else. You can use the cash back as a statement credit, transfer to a Chase account or just let the credit build up (and use later).

Thanks. I have that card, but did not get that email, bummer, it might be targeted :-(. I only use my card for purchases at Amazon/Whole Foods/Drugstores, since I have other credit cards that get better rewards for everything else. But at 4%, it would definitely be better than my other cards for nearly every purchase.

When you say transfer to a Chase account, do you mean a bank account or convert to Chase Ultimate Rewards?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

No offer for me. I only use the card for Amazon purchase, and do make some every month.
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am
How does this work?

Thanks. I have that card, but did not get that email, bummer, it might be targeted :-(. I only use my card for purchases at Amazon/Whole Foods/Drugstores, since I have other credit cards that get better rewards for everything else. But at 4%, it would definitely be better than my other cards for nearly every purchase.

When you say transfer to a Chase account, do you mean a bank account or convert to Chase Ultimate Rewards?
Not sure it works the same for everybody but I have the option to transfer $$ to my Chase Checking or Savings account. No option to convert to URs.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am
How does this work?

Not sure it works the same for everybody but I have the option to transfer $$ to my Chase Checking or Savings account. No option to convert to URs.
Ah, yes I don't have a chase bank account, but I can transfer the cash back to my checking account. Maybe I will get one of these emails soon, when did you get yours? I have to pay for a home repair this month, getting 4% CB would be nice...
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 pm
Ah, yes I don't have a chase bank account, but I can transfer the cash back to my checking account. Maybe I will get one of these emails soon, when did you get yours? I have to pay for a home repair this month, getting 4% CB would be nice...
Got it about 90 minutes ago.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I believe you have to read carefully whether its the Amazon Prime card or simply the Amazon Visa card. They are different as I learned a few months ago.

I don't have the details at hand. The Prime version is only available to actual Prime members. We get our Prime perqs through our daughter. We get shipping, video, etc. But we do not qualify for the Prime card.

So I'd guess that the offers you're talking about may be for one of the cards but not the other?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

heartwood wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 pm I believe you have to read carefully whether its the Amazon Prime card or simply the Amazon Visa card. They are different as I learned a few months ago.

I don't have the details at hand. The Prime version is only available to actual Prime members. We get our Prime perqs through our daughter. We get shipping, video, etc. But we do not qualify for the Prime card.

So I'd guess that the offers you're talking about may be for one of the cards but not the other?
I think even derivative Prime members are eligible for the the "Prime" designation for their Amazon Visa Card. There is a way to activate it within on your Amazon account. At least there was for me, as a derivative Prime member, and I have the Amazon Prime Visa Card.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

Seems to be targeted. I have the Prime card and no email for me :(
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:09 pm
heartwood wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 pm I believe you have to read carefully whether its the Amazon Prime card or simply the Amazon Visa card. They are different as I learned a few months ago.

I think even derivative Prime members are eligible for the the "Prime" designation for their Amazon Visa Card. There is a way to activate it within on your Amazon account. At least there was for me, as a derivative Prime member, and I have the Amazon Prime Visa Card.
I spent a while looking into it a couple of months ago since the Prime Rewards Signature Visa gives you 5% on Whole Foods as well. We've been using WF delivery recently.
Amazon says you must be Prime yourself or part of an Amazon Household. See para 4:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =202109390
I read only 2 adults may be part of an Amazon Household. We've not one the two.
I'd love to learn differently, but have already spent a couple of hours on it. On a slow day I may call them.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

heartwood wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 pm

I spent a while looking into it a couple of months ago since the Prime Rewards Signature Visa gives you 5% on Whole Foods as well. We've been using WF delivery recently.
Amazon says you must be Prime yourself or part of an Amazon Household. See para 4:
I'd love to learn differently, but have already spent a couple of hours on it. On a slow day I may call them.
Ah, when I was referring to "derivative" account I was referring to Amazon Household. Are you just using your daughter's login?
fiskalisch gesinnt

Post by fiskalisch gesinnt »

RocketShipTech wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 am Well that’s strange. My email only said 3% cash back on everything.
Mine was also for 3%
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I just checked, I also got the 3% offer.
Last edited by jharkin on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I got nothing :(
I use the card for everything; I guess I am already spending enough.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Ah, when I was referring to "derivative" account I was referring to Amazon Household. Are you just using your daughter's login?
No we have our own logons, but she and her husband are the Household members. Somehow she shares most Prime perqs with us (shipping, video, etc) but we don't get Kindle Prime Reading and a few others.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

heartwood wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm

No we have our own logons, but she and her husband are the Household members. Somehow she shares most Prime perqs with us (shipping, video, etc) but we don't get Kindle Prime Reading and a few others.
Weird, I did not know you could share perks outside of the 1 "Household Member".
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Sounds like market research is at it again. This reminds me a lot of a campaign I coded in the late 1990s where they sent different bonuses to different customers, some randomized and some based on parameters, to see which bonuses were most enticing. That might have worked in the days before the widespread use of the Internet, but I don't know why they think it will still work in Internet era. As this thread shows, people will quickly compare offers and notice the difference.

And also put me in the "got nothing" category. I went back several days in my email and also checked my Junk mail folder. I also checked the rewards portal on Chase.com. I use the card only on Amazon / Whole Foods.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

snailderby wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:29 am
Hug401k wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 am

With Platinum Honors status with BoA/Merrill *0*, you can get 5.25% on the bonus category of your choice (dining/travel/home improvement/online shopping) with the Cash Rewards card 1, 3.5% on groceries with the Cash Rewards card*2*, 3.5% on travel and dining with the Premium Rewards card, and 2.625% on everything else with the Premium Rewards card. The Premium Rewards does have an annual $95 fee, but it also has a $100 incidental travel benefit that some have used to purchase American Airlines gift cards and resell them. *3*
I agree with snailderby´s answers to the question Hug401k raised, with some additional amplifications marked in red above and footnoted below.

*0* Platinum Honors status is easily earned by transferring at least $100K in Vanguard ETFs in kind to Merrill Edge. You can also earn additional bonuses for doing that in the process.

*1* Categories for 5.25% can be switched each month on any given Cash Rewards card and many folks have more than one such card, allowing multiple categories to be designated for 5.25%. I personally have two such cards and I have heard of folks (typically married couples) with four or five.

*2* Lots of folks get 5.25% on their groceries by using their Cash Rewards cards to purchase gift cards online at their grocery store of choice. (Not all grocery stores offer online gift cards, but Costco does, as does my preferred regional grocery chain, Hannaford.)

*3* American Airlines is the airline I use most frequently so I simply *use* my purchased with the incidental credit $100 American gift cards at full face value rather than selling them at a discount.

FrugalProfessor has refined this to a high art and periodically reports on his success.

https://frugalprofessor.com/another-boa ... ency-post/
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:37 pm Sounds like market research is at it again. This reminds me a lot of a campaign I coded in the late 1990s where they sent different bonuses to different customers, some randomized and some based on parameters, to see which bonuses were most enticing. That might have worked in the days before the widespread use of the Internet, but I don't know why they think it will still work in Internet era. As this thread shows, people will quickly compare offers and notice the difference.

And also put me in the "got nothing" category. I went back several days in my email and also checked my Junk mail folder. I also checked the rewards portal on Chase.com. I use the card only on Amazon / Whole Foods.
Maybe I fell under the "got nothing" catagory because I have 3 other Chase CCs, so any bonus would result in me shifting my spending from another Chase CC and not result in Chase getting any additional business...
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Nothing for me yet either.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted ... -february/ reports the same thing I'm seeing on this thread - different people, different offers or no offer.

And apparently you can browse to https://www.mychasebonus.com/ to see what offer you get.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

We got the 4%

Thanks to this thread!

My wife didn’t bother opening the email because she assumed it was some spammy offer
chasingadvice

Post by chasingadvice »

Does this mean 4% for any online purchase and utilities/insurance payments also?
Can this card replace CitiDouble 2% cashback until Feb 2021 then ?
Topic Author
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

chasingadvice wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:00 pm Does this mean 4% for any online purchase and utilities/insurance payments also?
Can this card replace CitiDouble 2% cashback until Feb 2021 then ?
That's my understanding.

Post by 14k »

mhc wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am I got the same 4% offer. I have only used my Chase card for Amazon purchases. I guess they are trying to get me in the habit of using the Chase card for everything. I have not decided yet if it is worth it because the 4% ends in Feb 2021. I have been spending very little since Covid hit.
This is exactly what they're trying to do. Probably not worth the hassle of taking my Chase Amazon Prime card out of my desk drawer and putting in my wallet. On the other hand if you have a big one off payment coming up...

This is similar to Chase Freedoms quarterly bonus 5% back on select categories. Too much to keep track of.

"You've activated your exclusive offer. So instead of 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, and 1% Back on everyday purchases, you're now earning a total of 4% Back in all of these categories through February 11, 2021."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

rage_phish wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:51 pm We got the 4%

Thanks to this thread!

My wife didn’t bother opening the email because she assumed it was some spammy offer
I'm pretty sure I won't get any offer, but just to be sure, who was the sender and what was the subject line of the email?
seymore92

Post by seymore92 »

:arrow:
tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks to this thread!

I'm pretty sure I won't get any offer, but just to be sure, who was the sender and what was the subject line of the email?
“<first name>, earn 4% Back through February 11, 2021“

From Chase@e.chase.com. (Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

seymore92 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:01 pm :arrow:
tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks to this thread!

“<first name>, earn 4% Back through February 11, 2021“

From Chase@e.chase.com. (Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card)
Thanks - just wanted to check, but no such email for me.
onourway

Post by onourway »

3% offer here.

I only use the card for Amazon. Have several other Chase cards that see significant monthly spend.

*My 3% offer is only through Nov. 11.
notmyhand

Post by notmyhand »

Mine is also just 3% through November
Violin1990

Post by Violin1990 »

In addition to the Cash Rewards 5.25% on limited categories, you can get 2.625% on all purchases while paying no annual fee by using the Travel Rewards Credit Card. The catch is you have to redeem the points on "travel expenditures", but the good thing is you can redeem on travel expenditures from previous billing periods. This ends up as a "credit" on your latest statement, so it's basically cash back.

BoA Platinum Honors is great :)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

sycamore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm And apparently you can browse to https://www.mychasebonus.com/ to see what offer you get.
Has anyone had luck with trying at this link? I'm seeing lots of reports of errors on DoctorOfCredit.

Edit to add: And while I know Chase loves to set up these vanity domains instead of properly putting everything on chase.com, it still gives me pause to try them based on random Internet links.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 pm
sycamore wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm And apparently you can browse to https://www.mychasebonus.com/ to see what offer you get.
Has anyone had luck with trying at this link? I'm seeing lots of reports of errors on DoctorOfCredit.

Edit to add: And while I know Chase loves to set up these vanity domains instead of properly putting everything on chase.com, it still gives me pause to try them based on random Internet links.
There is this one:
https://www.chase.com/mybonus