Citi credit card refunds

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Sammey1

Citi credit card refunds

Post by Sammey1 »

I’m wondering if any one knows of any government agencies to contact regarding my refund battles with Citi Bank on my credit card? I’ve asked for my cancelled trip refund four times since July 17th,and as today they have not sent the deposit to my bank as they said they would do! Thanks for any suggestions someone may have.
runner3081

Re: Citi credit card refunds

Post by runner3081 »

CFPB.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Sammey1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:13 pmI’m wondering if any one knows of any government agencies to contact regarding my refund battles with Citi Bank on my credit card? I’ve asked for my cancelled trip refund four times since July 17th,and as today they have not sent the deposit to my bank as they said they would do! Thanks for any suggestions someone may have.
I thought CC refunds go back to the CC on which it was charged?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

To dispute a charge, first contact the merchant and tell them you want your bones back. If they refuse, then you dispute it with the issuer. Don't know about Citi, but a lot of issuers have an online dispute process now. Or you can do it in writing if you have stamps you need to use up. Tell them the merchant refused to give your bones back. You should do this prior to arbitration or CFPB finger wagging.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Yes, the thing to do is dispute the charge if the merchant won't give you a refund that you feel they owe you (in a reasonable time, like a month or so).

Once you do, you will not have to pay that amount while the dispute issue is still active. And no interest can be charged either while this is going on.
Usually, they (the credit card company) will ask you some questions about the matter and ask you to verify that your answers are true.
It is only after the credit card company decides the merchant is right and you are wrong that the charge would be reinstated.

There is no case where the funds will appear in your bank account. The charge will either be on your credit card or not.

(Well, if you have paid the bill, you would end up with a credit on your bill and possible a credit balance, and in that case you could ask for a refund to your linked bank account, but that would be after the dispute is over. But it is probably easier to just keep using the card so you never have to bother with a credit balance that needs to be refunded to you.)
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Until the OP provides some actual useful information it's hard to make head nor tails about what they are talking about.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I think, but just guessing, on the limited info, that OP may have a credit (negative balance) on the card and is trying to get that money back. If so Citi will automatically send you a check in three months (it happened to me recently with a refund). I called in once and tried to get the balance applied to another card but the CSR couldn't do it so I just left it be (it was only a couple hundred) and three months later a check came. CFPB is a good recommendation if you are getting nowhere with Citi. Letter to their "Executive Office" might also shake things loose.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I think, but just guessing, on the limited info, that OP may have a credit (negative balance) on the card and is trying to get that money back.
For whatever reason, I was told the refund of a large negative balance had to come by paper check when I had a similar issue with Synchrony bank, rather than paid back to the bank account where the automatic payment originates. It only took 1-2 weeks for the check to arrive.