Access to e-bills in joint checking: separate logins

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
delamer

Access to e-bills in joint checking: separate logins

Post by delamer »

My husband and I have a long-standing (many years) joint checking account. Via my login, I have set up multiple e-bills and account information for other EFT payments when e-bills aren’t available. I initiate payments in all cases, and don’t want to set up automatic payments.

My husband recently set up his own login for this account. He took this step so he could have access to our bills in the event that I can’t login (illness, travel, etc.).

But it turns out that the e-bills and other account information that I established aren’t available under my husband’s login.

We assumed that he would have access to anything related to the joint account. We do have one joint credit card at the bank that he sees in the “Pay Bills” tabs, but no other joint accounts at that bank.

Has anyone else run into this issue with a joint checking? Was there any work-around to get both account owners access to the e-bills?

EDIT: Have not contacted the bank as yet, but will do so.
Last edited by delamer on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Re: Access to e-bills in joint checking: separate logins

Post by stan1 »

Did you call the bank and ask? Our credit union has several different permission levels for joint account owners.
Topic Author
delamer

Post by delamer »

stan1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:17 pm Did you call the bank and ask? Our credit union has several different permission levels for joint account owners.
Not yet; we just discovered this a couple hours ago.

That’s interesting regarding the permissions.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

delamer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:03 pm My husband and I have a long-standing (many years) joint checking account. Via my login, I have set up multiple e-bills and account information for other EFT payments when e-bills aren’t available. I initiate payments in all cases, and don’t want to set up automatic payments.

My husband recently set up his own login for this account. He took this step so he could have access to our bills in the event that I can’t login (illness, travel, etc.).

But it turns out that the e-bills and other account information that I established aren’t available under my husband’s login.

We assumed that he would have access to anything related to the joint account. We do have one joint credit card at the bank that he sees in the “Pay Bills” tabs, but no other joint accounts at that bank.

Has anyone else run into this issue with a joint checking? Was there any work-around to get both account owners access to the e-bills?

EDIT: Have not contacted the bank as yet, but will do so.
For my joint checking account my spouse and I have separate logins and have the same experience.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

My wife and I have a joint checking account and have had the same experience as well.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Yes. I have. Even worse, if I pay a bill online from my login, my joint account holder will not see it while it is scheduled or pending. They can not see it until the day after it is sent.

I have been told by a couple different banks that it must be that way. When I started using online banking,I did not have this issue. It seemed to happen about 10+ years ago. One person explained to me that originally online accounts were organized around the bank accounts and later they became organized around the individual/the SSN.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Like all the other responses in this thread, at WF each of separate login credentials to a joint account gets their own separate Bill Pay page, but no e-bills shared. So I pay most bills online, but my spouse is responsible for a couple of different bills. It does make us talk to each other about finances at dinner, so that's a plus.

OTOH, we have a joint e-mail separate from banking where all bill notices show up, so we each can see upcoming bills if we choose to do so.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

This happened with our USAA account and I simply had to go in under my log in and authorize the other log in to access the data.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
delamer

Post by delamer »

jebmke wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:55 pm This happened with our USAA account and I simply had to go in under my log in and authorize the other log in to access the data.
Thanks so much!

As it happens, the account in question is at USAA and I was able to figure out how to give him access based on your comment. He also will get notifications of e-bills via e-mail.

For others not able to do so at their banks, I can recommend USAA if you want this joint access. You don’t have to be eiigible for its insurance to open a checking account, I believe (someone correct me if I’m wrong; we joined via my FIL).
Last edited by delamer on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia »

jebmke wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:55 pm This happened with our USAA account and I simply had to go in under my log in and authorize the other log in to access the data.
This! USAA has an option to provide access to the bills of the joint account holder. Mine is turned on, so when my wife logs in she can toggle a switch that allows her to see my bills. The interesting question would be if I passed away would USAA turn off my profile and thus delete my bills anyway.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Wife and I have a shared account at a bank with a stage coach logo. She's original owner. Cannot see bill pay done by each other so only option is to log in as the person that setup the bill pay. Logging in as the other person is against their rules for security reasons. Bank has told me more than once that there is no way to change the view permissions. If they were charging us any kind of fee at all I'd be moving on to another bank. The account has been entirely free and we have our bills all setup so we've stayed.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

This is why we keep a rostersheet of our logins--when it is necessary we use the other's.
The h*** with their "rules". It is my money.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

delamer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:03 pm ... Has anyone else run into this issue with a joint checking?
  • At BofA, we have the same issue. No work-around to my knowledge.
  • At Fidelity (cash mgmt acct), the BillPay info is shared with both owner/spouse login's.
So there is some evidence that it is not impossible for a bank to allow it.
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

I have run into this and similar issues with joint accounts at a large, well-known bank, particularly when my spouse was traveling.

A bank representative told me that they would consider it fraud for us to use only one login for our joint accounts, and that they would not support us if a problem arose while we had only one. My spouse then set up a separate login, after which we noticed the challenges that the OP has had.

A bank rep also told us that the bank was not required to send us any yearly interest info for tax purposes because, while the total interest we received was over $10, no one particular account had earned over $10. Also, she could not tell me how much interest we had earned in our joint accounts because my name was listed second on the accounts. Furthermore, she could not change our accounts so that my name would be listed first in order to provide me that information (as I prepare our taxes).

When my spouse hadn’t received a new ATM card on our joint account that was needed for an upcoming international trip, the bank wouldn’t listen to me when I explained in person that they had erroneously sent it to a temporary address where five years previously we had lived for one month, despite the fact that we had officially changed the address in our joint account and all other written communication, including my ATM card and all our bank statements, came to our permanent address, and had done so for five years.

I would change banks but for the fact that we occasionally need medallion signature guarantees, which many banks will not provide.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Nutmeg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:35 pm A bank representative told me that they would consider it fraud for us to use only one login for our joint accounts, and that they would not support us if a problem arose while we had only one.
Fairly typical terms of service for online accounts - especially individually owned ones. We have set up separate log ins for all accounts (VG, banks, credit cards ...). We have not done agency on individual accounts but no need to in our case since the individual assets would settle long before the assets were needed. I might reconsider that decision next time we update things.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

jebmke wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:39 pm
Nutmeg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:35 pm A bank representative told me that they would consider it fraud for us to use only one login for our joint accounts, and that they would not support us if a problem arose while we had only one.
Fairly typical terms of service for online accounts - especially individually owned ones. We have set up separate log ins for all accounts (VG, banks, credit cards ...). We have not done agency on individual accounts but no need to in our case since the individual assets would settle long before the assets were needed. I might reconsider that decision next time we update things.
It doesn’t bother me that we have separate logins on our joint accounts at our bank. It bothers me that when we complied with the bank’s requirement, we no longer each had access to all of the information about our joint accounts that we previously had had.

We each have individual logins for our Vanguard accounts as well, but I think that we can each see all information about our joint accounts.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nutmeg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:35 pm Also, she could not tell me how much interest we had earned in our joint accounts because my name was listed second on the accounts.
Total interest for a joint account is shown on the statement for the joint account which is available in our case for both online accounts. The 12/31/xxxx statement has the YTD interest which matches the 1099-INT, too.
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 pm
Nutmeg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:35 pm Also, she could not tell me how much interest we had earned in our joint accounts because my name was listed second on the accounts.
Total interest for a joint account is shown on the statement for the joint account which is available in our case for both online accounts. The 12/31/xxxx statement has the YTD interest which matches the 1099-INT, too.
We didn’t receive a 1099-INT because the bank said it didn’t have to send us one, and the December statements didn’t list the YTD amount. Perhaps they do now, but this was several years ago. I ultimately opened every monthly statement online for each account and added the amounts together in order to prepare our taxes. It was more of a hassle than it needed to have been.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Nutmeg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 pmWe didn’t receive a 1099-INT because the bank said it didn’t have to send us one, and the December statements didn’t list the YTD amount. Perhaps they do now, but this was several years ago. I ultimately opened every monthly statement online for each account and added the amounts together in order to prepare our taxes. It was more of a hassle than it needed to have been.
Ouch!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

No joint checking accounts!

I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than to try to keep tabs on an account that someone else is framming around in.

Tried joint checking account early in marriage. Had we continued I'm not sure we would have lasted 49 years this November.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
delamer

Post by delamer »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:42 pm No joint checking accounts!

I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than to try to keep tabs on an account that someone else is framming around in.

Tried joint checking account early in marriage. Had we continued I'm not sure we would have lasted 49 years this November.

Broken Man 1999
OP here.

I do 95% of the transactions on the joint checking. If my husband needs to write a check or get cash from an ATM, he always lets me know.

But he needs access to those e-bills in the event that I’m unavailable/incapacitated since there are no paper bills coming in to alert him. And now he has it.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

jebmke wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:39 pm
Are you aware of any practical examples of problematic situations that arose from spouses sharing a log in to a joint account? Asking for a friend.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

9-5 Suited wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:14 pm Are you aware of any practical examples of problematic situations that arose from spouses sharing a log in to a joint account?
No; just that the terms of most online log-in credentials are pretty clear that they may not hold you harmless if someone hacks your account if you have shared an online access with someone (not the hacker). Not worth the risk IMO. Online log-in credentials are usually easy to set up. Further, since one should be using some kind of multi-factor authentication for security, having one log-in may make that problematic if using text messages or email for authentication.

edit: also, for at least one of our accounts (and I can't recall which one) when we set up the initial credentials, the rep told us that they would only link a log-in credential to a single name. If that person died, they would lock down that log-in credential. So a surviving spouse might get locked out of the online access if the institution learns of the death of the other spouse.
KeepingEyesOpen

Post by KeepingEyesOpen »

bzargarcia wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 pm
This! USAA has an option to provide access to the bills of the joint account holder. Mine is turned on, so when my wife logs in she can toggle a switch that allows her to see my bills. The interesting question would be if I passed away would USAA turn off my profile and thus delete my bills anyway.
I can confirm that the USAA BillPay service will allow both owners of a joint account to access the other's bills.

Regarding the question of the survivor's access after the death of one of the other account owner, I asked this question of a USAA rep. Answer: after the bank is notified of the death, the surviving account owner can ask for all of the deceased owner's bills to be transferred to the survivor's BillPay access. This can be done quickly, perhaps within a day or so.
bayview

Post by bayview »

bzargarcia wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 pm
Can you share how you set this up? (What did you click, and then what, and then what, etc.) many thanks.

(We’re also at USAA.)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri