Unlocking Wells Fargo Online Access

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lawman3966

Unlocking Wells Fargo Online Access

Post by lawman3966 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 pm

On Friday 7/31, I must have looked at the wrong text message stream when entering my verification code and ended up entering the wrong code three times. My access was locked and I was provided with a phone number to call to remedy the situation.

I called and spoke to a sequence of agents, having to wait 10-15 minutes each time. The last of the customer service agents (CSAs) said I'd need to verify my identity at a local ATM by reverifying my phone number. I called early Saturday morning as a last-ditch effort to avoid having to visit an ATM. After waiting for 20 minutes, I provided some personal information to the agent, and he then indicated he couldn't hear me. I checked my phone's mute button and it was absolutely not on. Nevertheless, the agent proceeded to end the call. I concluded that the ATM visit was now inevitable.

I conducted the ATM visit Saturday morning 8/1, reconfirmed my phone numbers using the ATM interface, yet my access remained locked. I called WF again, spoke to an agent and was told to prepare for a series of questions from him about past residences/jobs I'd been associated with. He then changed the requirement and informed me that I'd have to meet in person with a banker at a local branch to re-verify my identity. I have now made that appointment and expect to meet with a local banker in person on August 3. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't mind, but with the pandemic, I would still like to see if there is an alternative to an in-person meeting.

I'm posting to see if anyone on the board is familiar with this process and whether there is a number I can call and a manager I can speak to who can resolve this matter without an in-person meeting. I can't recall previously encountering a customer service regime that was run like a three-ring circus to this extent, with the story changing every time I call, and with a resulting lack of confidence that the proposed remedy is actually going to work.
Last edited by lawman3966 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

typical.investor

Re: Unlocking Wells Fargo Online Access

Post by typical.investor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 am

Well it seems clear they suspect something.

Have you been the victim of identity theft? Are you doing manufactured spending and shuffling money around? Are you doing a large number of transactions?

Or maybe they just internally made a mistake and you got shuffled into the verify list.

My wife was on the verify in-branch list for a couple of years to get online access. Her debit card worked fine though and it was a joint account so I could access it from my side.

In the end, she got dropped off the list recently.

I’m surprised that accessing the ATM didn’t work when they said it would. They’ve always seemed to know their stuff.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Unlocking Wells Fargo Online Access

Post by abuss368 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:30 am

I had this happen as well. I did all the telephone calls and they were painful. Went to ATM and solved right away.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."