Car Windshield Cracked [Insurance coverage]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
VillageVanguard

Car Windshield Cracked [Insurance coverage]

Post by VillageVanguard » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:14 pm

My car windshield got cracked by a pebble that fell off of a truck while I was on the highway. Does this count as collision for auto insurance purposes? Will this raise my insurance premiums?

FrugalInvestor

Re: Car Windshield Cracked

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Broken windshields for me are covered under comprehensive (subject to deductible) and I can choose to add glass coverage for an extra charge. It turned out to be cheaper for me to just lower my comprehensive deductible to zero. I did that because my windshield has lots of expensive technology built in and I usually end up replacing one every 3-4 years.

How windshield breakage is covered can vary by location and insurance company so it's best to call and discuss with your insurance company. It's good if it's covered under comprehensive because comprehensive claims do not impact rates (at least with my coverage).
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

orangesherbet

Post by orangesherbet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm

My policy has a special windshield deductible of $100. I didn’t know I had it till I called and talked to the agent. Maybe see if your policy has that?

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 pm

My auto comprehensive coverage, with a zero deductible, covers windshield damage. It also covers hit and run (two deer in this case), and hit and run parking lot damage. There are no insurance cost increases involved with claims of this type. I speak from experiences over the past 26 years of claims. Most recent was a small rock thrown up from the roadway hitting the windshield of a one-month old 2018 Lexus ES350. It also paid for the calibration of the new windshield with the various cameras. Thank you USAA for my 59 years of auto insurance (et al) with that firm! :D
Tom D.

Post by 123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Dependng on your comprehensive deductible you should contact an auto glass shop and ask costs for replacement. Ask for both a cash price (no insurance) and a with insurance price. Depending on your vehicle, deductible, and various factors it is sometimes cheaper to pay the cash price if it is less than your insurance deductible. It's all a lot like some prescription prices with and without insurance.

If you use a dealer for the repair it's probably the same (higher) price either way.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 pm

VillageVanguard wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:14 pm
My car windshield got cracked by a pebble that fell off of a truck while I was on the highway. Does this count as collision for auto insurance purposes? Will this raise my insurance premiums?
You can't get any meaningful answers to this question, especially without naming your provider and location. I have State Farm in two states and glass coverage (and in fact available glass coverage) is completely different between states.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 pm

VillageVanguard wrote:
Mine was considered comprehensive when my windshield was hit by a rock on the freeway. It did not affect my premiums and my insurance also did not charge a deductible on that incident (edit: or if there was a deductible, it was much less than the standard $500 comprehensive deductible and so trivial that I don't recall it).

You would need to look up the specifics for your insurance though. What my insurance does and what your insurance does could be entirely separate things.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:02 pm

1 check your policy
Or
2 fix the glass with the rainX glass repair kit.
(Have done many of these)

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:11 am

I just had my truck windshield replaced entirely for $395 at a Safelite Auto Glass store. My insurance is with State Farm (in Pennsylvania) and they would have covered it under my comprehensive insurance policy. However, I have a $500 deductible and there are no special considerations for windshields. So I paid the $395 out of my pocket and did not file an insurance claim.

If the crack is small (less than the size of a quarter), they may be able to patch it rather than replace the entire windshield. That will be cheaper.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am

It is comprehensive in my case. But I had cracked windshields two times over the last few years and both times I chose to pay it myself from a cheap body shop rather than go through insurance

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:46 am

+1 on all the comments above about comprehensive cover. My Volvo heated windshield was $1,400, but I had a $100 deductible.

Probably not applicable but windshield coverage is one of the (ridiculously expensive) add-ons dealers sell with a new car purchase. Did you buy it?

cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm

check your insurance company. I've had policies that included glass coverage and ones where it was an optional add-on i decided not to pay for.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 pm

VillageVanguard wrote:
Cracked windshield is dangerous. Call a reputable glass repair specialty shop in your area. Let them fix it, but don't drive the car for 24 hours while it cures, even if they claim to "use heat so safe driveway time is instant" or some such claim.

If you have comprehensive insurance, use it. If you have a no glass deductible, even better. Don't worry about premiums, it likely will not increase anyway. If insurance doesn't pay for it, it will cost a few hundred dollars. No big deal as a car expense.

Enjoy the new window, and you'll also notice it is clearer than an old windshield as it won't have acquired tiny pits over time from road debris.

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Don’t get the cheapest glass from the cheapest place. This is from personal experience. The fit and finish I got when doing this is bad and they stained my car seats with the adhesive (and ruined a nice jacket). It also did not have the sun blocking material around the rear view mirror which is surprisingly annoying.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm sure it's quite variable on a number of factors, but a number of years ago, we had two cracked windshields in a short span of time. It caused us to be bumped up into a higher priced tier for a couple of years.
We would have been better off paying out of pocket for at least one.

NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:37 pm

How much would it cost to repair outside of insurance? We replaced one of ours for $300. Our other car cost $1200. Glass coverage is separate on our policy, but we never purchased it because the cost was so high each year it just more sense to pay cash in the rare instance you need a new windshield.

I’m always skeptical to make any sort of insurance claim. If you can afford to pay cash, do it.

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm

In Florida you do not pay a deductible if you have comprehensive coverage, but it is considered a claim and will raise your premiums.and can also impact your umbrella policy if you have one. At least that was my experience. If I had it to do over again I would have paid for it out of pocket and not involved insurance.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:19 pm

ByThePond wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 pm
I'm sure it's quite variable on a number of factors, but a number of years ago, we had two cracked windshields in a short span of time. It caused us to be bumped up into a higher priced tier for a couple of years.
We would have been better off paying out of pocket for at least one.
This happened to me - had three cars insured. Replaced two windshields in a three-year period (different vehicles), and a crack repair. in the third. Moved us to a higher tier - in retrospect should not have filed for the crack repair but paid it out of pocket.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)