Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
socialforums2019
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am

Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by socialforums2019 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 am

We are thinking of doing some renovations to the house and don't have any kind of experience in regards to the process and associated costs. Are you able to share your experience if you'd done any of the following:

1. Bedroom addition
2. Wall removal
3. Add pool + backyard landscaping
4. Bathroom renovation
5. Bedroom renovation
6. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft)

Trying to get an estimate in how far our remodel budget can go and where to start.

Cactuscoug
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Cactuscoug » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 am

This will vary a lot depending upon locale. Mississippi or Beverly Hills? And, what is the vision regarding the upgrades? Simple/Basic or Tiffany? A pool could cost $15,000 or $250,000. I think you need to talk with local contractors to get a good feel for costs.

Topic Author
socialforums2019
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by socialforums2019 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am

Cactuscoug wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 am
This will vary a lot depending upon locale. Mississippi or Beverly Hills? And, what is the vision regarding the upgrades? Simple/Basic or Tiffany? A pool could cost $15,000 or $250,000. I think you need to talk with local contractors to get a good feel for costs.
We would be looking at "worst case scenario" for pricing. We are taking an older house and wanting to renovate it to our "dream house" over the years. We are located in HCOL CA.

av111
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by av111 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 am

OP

Costs vary depending on the location, quality of work and material, and complexity of the task

In general, in our area, for an average build with no complexity
1. $200 per Sq ft
2. Should be inexpensive for non load bearing walls 3. 100k
4. 10k
5. 6k
6. $10 per Sq ft
AV111

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11326
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am

socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 am
We are thinking of doing some renovations to the house and don't have any kind of experience in regards to the process and associated costs. Are you able to share your experience if you'd done any of the following:

1. Bedroom addition
2. Wall removal
3. Add pool + backyard landscaping
4. Bathroom renovation
5. Bedroom renovation
6. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft)

Trying to get an estimate in how far our remodel budget can go and where to start.
First, Prioritize and group per contractor/estimate/task. And importance to you (must have vs can do without).
And, Sequence in order of work. (rough work then cosmetics)
Then, budgeting per project. (range, willing to spend determines what can be done at what level of finish).
Then, sketch on graph paper to get ideas, spec/list what you want done and with what materials, fixtures, etc.
Then, more final plans/spec to give to contractors so bids are apples to apples.
Then, each subproject out to multiple bid/proposal. Including vetting.

Questions:

IE:
1. Wall removal (is this part of the bath/bed renovation) ???
2. Bathroom renovation (normally highest price per s.f., greatest value return)
2. Bedroom renovation (Is this room adjacent to the bathroom above? >???

3. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft) Done on area of above renovation???

4. Bedroom addition (highest price as it is a new structure tied in to exist) Dirt to roof???
Is this adjacent and adjoining the Bath/Bed renovation #2. . . ?????

5. Add pool

6. backyard landscaping (finish work done after pool construction)

For a long term project, you will save money with best results by breaking it down in increments. Some tasks have to be combined to best cost/return, some not.

IE: We bought our "dream home" on a bank auction and then put in place an 8 year incremental full renovation and remodel with subproject breakdown and budgeting per year.

So, much like a long term comprehensive retirement financial plan takes vision and planning, same here.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

carolinaman
Posts: 4224
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by carolinaman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 am

you need to be more specific about renovations and addition to get a ballpark price. If you talk with a contractor they will ask you lots of questions about what you want to determine costs. Costs you get on this site are just a shot in the dark until you provide more specifics and even then are inferior to what you will get from contractors. Always talk with at least 3 contractors that you vetted before you do any work. You could do one smaller project, i.e. bedroom renovation, to gauge their quality of work. However, prioritizing projects and bunching them if it is advantageous may lower cost.

Normchad
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 am

Recommend you talk to all your friends and family, and find somebody who can recommend an architect/designer/contractor to you. Picking the right folks is probably the very most important thing you can do here. Otherwise, you are probably doomed.

Topic Author
socialforums2019
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by socialforums2019 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am

Maybe some additional clarifications

1. Bedroom addition
We have a large lot (10k sq ft) and looking to build into the backyard to add a bedroom which will be used as a home office/guest room.

2. Wall removal
The current floor plan is very split up. We are looking to remove 1-2 walls to open up the floor plan

3. Add pool + backyard landscaping
This can be last item since it is a "nice to have" Probably will be the last item to do, but just want to understand rough estimates of what to be budgeting for.

4. Bathroom renovation 5. Bedroom renovation
I ended up adding these together because it would really just be a master bedroom/bath renovation so this will likely be done at the same time. We also have a small half bath which we would like to "modernize".

6. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft)
We would likely want to do this after the interior renovations (addition + master remodel) however now that I think about it, would we be wasting money doing the bedroom addition in carpet and then a year or two later just ending up ripping it out when we do the hardwood.

We have about $300K saved and allocated to projects. I know it varies, but based upon the limited information, is a $300K budget sufficient enough with some potential built in buffers.

Normchad
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 am

socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am
Maybe some additional clarifications

1. Bedroom addition
We have a large lot (10k sq ft) and looking to build into the backyard to add a bedroom which will be used as a home office/guest room.

2. Wall removal
The current floor plan is very split up. We are looking to remove 1-2 walls to open up the floor plan

3. Add pool + backyard landscaping
This can be last item since it is a "nice to have" Probably will be the last item to do, but just want to understand rough estimates of what to be budgeting for.

4. Bathroom renovation 5. Bedroom renovation
I ended up adding these together because it would really just be a master bedroom/bath renovation so this will likely be done at the same time. We also have a small half bath which we would like to "modernize".

6. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft)
We would likely want to do this after the interior renovations (addition + master remodel) however now that I think about it, would we be wasting money doing the bedroom addition in carpet and then a year or two later just ending up ripping it out when we do the hardwood.

We have about $300K saved and allocated to projects. I know it varies, but based upon the limited information, is a $300K budget sufficient enough with some potential built in buffers.
That certainly seems like a very generous renovation budget. But nobody on the Internet will be able to tell you if it's sufficient. You need to actually talk to somebody who knows what they are doing, and can assess your particular house, local constraints, and tastes.

Some people spend $100K for just a swimming pool. Personally, I paid about $22K to get a small bathroom redone once. Hardwood flooring could easily be $15/sq feet depending on what you choose, etc etc.

A lot of what you are talking bout is not just freshening up and using nice finishes. It is serious structural work, that opens up whole cans of worms. Are Seismic mitigation measures required? Does your home need an electrical service upgrade? Panel upgrade? Do you have asbestos? Mold? Has somebody else compromised your building structure in the past? Will your HVAC be able to handle the new paces? Does the roof need replacing? Will it need replacing if you add an addition?

Nobody here can tell you those things. You need a pro.

Golf maniac
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:02 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Golf maniac » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:23 am

As everyone stated it will vary tremendously based on quality of fixtures and local contractors. What you need is a good general contractor. Explain what you want done, your budget, and see what he says. I would do everything but the pool first. It is going to be a mess for a while but better to get it over rather than dragging it out over years. The general contractor is the key, he can bring in all the sub contractors and ensure the permits are pulled, inspections are done, and the subs come in on schedule. Trying to do it piecemeal with you supervising and ensuring permits/inspections are done would be a nightmare imho. Talk to neighbors, family members, look at reviews online. Get the best contractor available in your area.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11326
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:25 am

socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 am
Maybe some additional clarifications

1. Bedroom addition
We have a large lot (10k sq ft) and looking to build into the backyard to add a bedroom which will be used as a home office/guest room.

2. Wall removal
The current floor plan is very split up. We are looking to remove 1-2 walls to open up the floor plan

3. Add pool + backyard landscaping
This can be last item since it is a "nice to have" Probably will be the last item to do, but just want to understand rough estimates of what to be budgeting for.

4. Bathroom renovation 5. Bedroom renovation
I ended up adding these together because it would really just be a master bedroom/bath renovation so this will likely be done at the same time. We also have a small half bath which we would like to "modernize".

6. Replace carpet with hardwood flooring (2500 sq ft)
We would likely want to do this after the interior renovations (addition + master remodel) however now that I think about it, would we be wasting money doing the bedroom addition in carpet and then a year or two later just ending up ripping it out when we do the hardwood.

We have about $300K saved and allocated to projects. I know it varies, but based upon the limited information, is a $300K budget sufficient enough with some potential built in buffers.
We would be looking at "worst case scenario" for pricing. We are taking an older house and wanting to renovate it to our "dream house" over the years
Considerations:
1. You mention "over the years". So divide up the project per task per yearly budget. Do the project in increments per funding.

Comments for your list.
1. (bedroom/office addition) If slab on grade and ground floor on fairly level lot, then very doable. Tie in to exist structure is important (walls and roof) and be sure that architectural design matches exist home to retain value. Good additions don't look like additions. If on a slope (add $$). If on unstable or rocky ground (add $$$). If exist home is old post and beam and stucco or old victorian (san francisco/oakland heights styles) (add $$$). If on a second floor with posts below for a patio (then add $$$$).

2. (wall removal) If the walls are non load bearing (normally parallel to your roof trusses) then the cost is lower than "load bearing walls" (90 degrees to roof trusses, or floor joists above if on a lower floor) that will need beams and posts to transfer the load to below. On older homes, there can be problems where those load transfers are. You may need a structural engineer consult and plans/permit if it is structural, especially if with issues.
This can be simple with no permit needed (if non load bearing), or can be a "money pit" if it is load bearing and complex.
Any good GC will be able to look at the walls you want removed and tell you (for free) as part of a proposal to do just that. Call around, have them take a look. Get their advice and prices to do just this one thing.

4. (bed/bath renovation) Do this one first. Then see how much $$$ you have left. Treat it as a complete "one and only" project for now. (No permit needed if no structural work involved).

6. You can do the hardwood flooring up to the addition wall line and trim it out. Be sure you have a type of hardwood stock that can be bought and is in stock or can be ordered to match. Or, if you're positive about the addition, buy enough hardwood laminate flooring to cover the addition and baseboard trim when you do #4 and set the bundles aside in a stable place so it does not mold or warp, etc. Buying it all at once will assure that the lot #s of the bundles blend.

It's tough to project 300k on an incremental project like this. Baby steps are less stressful. And costs can be cut as you go and see what you want and don't want. Just do each increment as if it's the only thing that's going to be done and you can stop at anytime and your home still looks fine and not something half done somewhere.

You need to be on great terms with a reputable custom home G.C. in your area that does work on your type of home and lot. Not a handyman. Not a Carpenter/sort of G.C. with a truck and a dog. Find a good one, licensed, insured, bonded, and busy on large projects with a crew. Drive around and look for job sites. Good G.C.'s are busy, junk ones are not. Go introduce yourself and start making some contacts.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 3100
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by F150HD » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:42 am

socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am
We would be looking at "worst case scenario" for pricing. We are taking an older house and wanting to renovate it to our "dream house" over the years. We are located in HCOL CA.
a project like this may require bringing everything else up to code which could get expensive.

what year was the home built? (may want to put into your original post).

Plumbing, electrical, asbestos all cross my mind depending upon the homes age.

stan1
Posts: 8629
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by stan1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 am

socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am

We would be looking at "worst case scenario" for pricing. We are taking an older house and wanting to renovate it to our "dream house" over the years. We are located in HCOL CA.
Seems to me like you'd be in the $400K plus or minus $100K range for all that work if hired out over time. What is the value of the house? Contractor bids will to some degree reflect what they think your ability to pay is.

Agree bringing it up to code would be a potential unplanned cost, also possible foundation or termite issues if you are in coastal California.

If you want to to it over time you'd want to be careful about sequencing it so that you aren't ripping up work already done to do new work.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11326
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 am
socialforums2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am

We would be looking at "worst case scenario" for pricing. We are taking an older house and wanting to renovate it to our "dream house" over the years. We are located in HCOL CA.
Seems to me like you'd be in the $400K plus or minus $100K range for all that work if hired out over time. What is the value of the house? Contractor bids will to some degree reflect what they think your ability to pay is.

Agree bringing it up to code would be a potential unplanned cost, also possible foundation or termite issues if you are in coastal California.

If you want to to it over time you'd want to be careful about sequencing it so that you aren't ripping up work already done to do new work.
+1
Termites corrupting a home foundation is specialized structural work. And, absolutely filthy, horrible logistics, and dangerous as well.
I got my early start as a Commercial G.C. certified for structural work doing these types of projects and work was in abundance because many G.C's don't want to touch these "can of worms" despite being potentially highly profitable. Usually T&M+% was the best because of the unknowns that always get uncovered as work is done.

Yes. Costs of structural work can take many a home owner, and vintage home owner, by surprise.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

sergio
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Home Remodel/Renovation Costs

Post by sergio » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Wood flooring is an easy DIY project

Post Reply