email from state Dept of Labor to apply for a specific job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
go_mets

email from state Dept of Labor to apply for a specific job

Post by go_mets » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

I am collecting unemployment.
This afternoon I received an email from an individual from my state's department of labor.
Inside the email was a link to apply for an Entry Level job in my field of expertise.
The words Entry Level was part of the job title XXXX (Entry Level) .
I was instructed to apply and to reply APPLIED to the email.

I applied anyway although I am overqualified for the job and even though the email said Please only apply for jobs suitable to you .

I am guessing that this was the prudent thing to do?

OnTrack2020

Re: email from state Dept of Labor to apply for a specific job

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Yes, apply, even if you are overqualified and even if it is less money. And, if you are offered the job, accept. I think by not doing some of these things, it will disqualify you from some of your unemployment benefits.....I don't know all the specifics. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can chime in.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Applying was probably the right thing to do in order to avoid any issued with the Dept. of Unemployment.

That said, you don't necessarily have to interview well. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:33 pm

That sounds like a new way to job hunt and it likely makes it easier on the Labor office. But I also understood that job hunting was not required when the feds added $600 to the unemployment checks, but I suppose that requirement is now going away with the first round of federal money ending for the unemployed.

Even if the job is for a lower level experience than what you have, it is a way to get your foot in the door. You never know, but they could even recognize your experience and offer you a job more suited to your experience. That happened to me once.

BB76

Post by BB76 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm in a similar situation (MBA working in financial services currently collecting UI), but base period / dollars are about to run out. If instructed to actually apply, then yes, you did the right thing. One question I would have is whether or not accepting the position, given that it may not be "suitable," would actually disqualify you from future benefits. In my situation, simply applying for a position will meet UI requirements regardless of interview status, etc. My understanding is that you have more flexibility in turning down unsuitable positions if you have not been collecting unemployment for very long. If you've been accepting payments for a while, then you may have less flexibility, but all states are different.

Another question - is it common practice for an individual from your state's DOL to email you directly? I could understand if an algorithm associated with job postings sent you an email with openings related to your background, but I find it odd that an individual would send unsolicited directions to apply for a specific position. However, this is my first experience with UI and again, all states are different. On a side note, though I've completed numerous applications over the last few months I have been invited to interview for only 1 position. As a result, don't hold your breath for the anticipated interview, but best wishes on the search.
:sharebeer
Last edited by BB76 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ― E.F. Schumacher

Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:30 pm

BB76 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm
Another question - is it common practice for an individual from your state's DOL to email you directly?
This last time I collected unemployment was in 2009.
During the 7 months I was out of a job, I did not receive such an email.
I was also unemployed in 2003 and in 2007. I did not receive such an email then either.