I was looking at getting the 1% cash back discover card. How many of you use debit cards all the time?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LittleMaggieMae

Re: Thinking about getting a debit card. Has anyone here be a victim with a debit card and what did you have to do abo

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Not me, but my BFF (since HS). This is dated, happened about 15 years ago. my best friend is very "conservative" and a little afraid of all things money. She found she could use her debit card versus writing a check at check out (and more stores were frowning on payment by check). Her debit card could also function as a Visa (I think). Her wallet was stolen (included her check book)... and she didn't realize it was gone for a couple of hours... and by the time she figured it out and by the time the card was "shut off" about $3K of her money was gone via the debit card NOT the checks.

It took nearly 2 months for her to get back to 'normal' and to get her 3K back from the bank. She also got a new checking account # (because she was paranoid about her stolen check book) which added effort to her paycheck ACH going to the right account..and new checks printed....and since she didn't have another credit card and she didn't have $$ in checking - she was borrowing cash from her parents so she could buy gas for her car and groceries.

Compare that to the time MY purse was stolen and within 30 minutes the thieves rang up 3K in charges on my 2 credit cards - before the CC's shut off automatically. By the end of that day, I was pretty much 'done' dealing with the loss of my purse. The CC companies issued me new cards and overnighted them to me for no cost. I could have gotten by - I had a 3rd back up card at home. The fraudulent charges never appeared on my bills. The biggest hassle was replacing my Drivers license.

ADDED: A college aged nephew had a habit of losing his wallet and his debit card. His parents dealt with it and everytime it happened it was a major pain for every one involved. I think by the time the kid was a jr. in college they gave him a credit card - instead of the debit card.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Broken Man 1999

Re: Thinking about getting a debit card. Has anyone here be a victim with a debit card and what did you have to do abo

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:48 pm

SchruteB&B wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm
Around 10 years ago, without my debit card being physically stolen, it was somehow used to make purchases in another state. Our bank caught it, but $2000 was already charged and removed from our bank account. Despite following all the proper procedures with the bank, the money was not returned to our account for over 3 months and we had to hound the bank to do it, ceaselessly following up and at one point having to threaten to report them to their regulators. Luckily the money being gone was something we could ride out for that period of time. Cancelled the debit card, got an ATM only card.
Never used a debit card. I prefer getting rewards. Every so often the credit union will send me a debit card. I call them to cancel it and provide me an ATM card only. And they do so.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:51 pm

No. Have never been a victim. Don't personally know anyone who has been a victim.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: I was looking at getting the 1% cash back discover card. How many of you use debit cards all the time?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 pm

I merged iamblessed's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

AerialWombat

Re: I was looking at getting the 1% cash back discover card. How many of you use debit cards all the time?

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 am
Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm
One more reason to use a credit card: the $1.98 balance from the two vending machine purchases I made with my Discover Card was waived. Apparently that’s too small of a balance for the bank to bother collecting.

That’s two free cans of soda, people. :greedy
This is one of the credit card strategies. Discover forgives $1.99 a month. I think Dr of Credit has the list of cards that forgive either $1.99 or $0.99 every month. For "sock drawer'd" cards, this is a great way to collect a bit every month and keep the card active.
Whoa, for reals? This is 100% new information to me. Thanks for sharing!

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Debit cards are risky, we use a small group of 2% and higher rewards credit cards on autopay instead.

retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 am

I use my debit card two or three times a year. My credit union cancels it if I do not use it for more than six months. That is why I use it, to reset the clock. The only reason that I have the debit card is that if I travel overseas, I want to be able to use ATM machines to get local currency. I used to have an ATM card, but my credit union replaced it with debit card.

Any withdrawal from my credit union account that is more than 99 cents, I get an e-mail.

I have five rewards credit cards (one is Discover), usually use two of them each month.

infotrader

Post by infotrader » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:39 am

retired early&luv it wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 am
I use my debit card two or three times a year. My credit union cancels it if I do not use it for more than six months. That is why I use it, to reset the clock. The only reason that I have the debit card is that if I travel overseas, I want to be able to use ATM machines to get local currency. I used to have an ATM card, but my credit union replaced it with debit card.

Any withdrawal from my credit union account that is more than 99 cents, I get an e-mail.

I have five rewards credit cards (one is Discover), usually use two of them each month.
You may use fidelity cash management debit in this case. Much easier and no ATM fee.

jayars35

Post by jayars35 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:06 am

The only thing I use my debit card for is swiping it at the credit union as ID. I don't remember my pin as it's been so many years since I used it for any thing else.

JA

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:14 pm

I'm pretty happy with my Discover card. I believe lots has changed since Discover's early days.

The 5% catagories are nice, and sometimes Discover will add another merchant for a short period of time. HD was added for July, so a little savings there for items for our bathroom remodel.

The rewards can be applied against statements ($1.00 worked), put into your bank ($1.00 worked), used at Amazon or Paypal (no way, I use a rewards card for that), purchases of various gift cards (some restaurant gift cards are discounted 10%), or you can donate the cash back to nine well-known charities.

I don't use the Discover card except for 5% opportunities. Only earning 1% on other purchases causes me to whip out another card.

Just another card in the stable.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:37 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:18 pm
I fell for a Discover card a few years ago when they were offering their "Open Road" card that gave you 5% cashback on gasoline. As is so often the case, "the way I thought it worked" lasted less than a year and they started to erode the deal in subtle ways. They began to make it harder and harder to exercise the "cash back" feature to take dollars off your bill (rather than spend the "cash back" on a $69.95 Salton Digital Reciprocating Fondue Shooter), then they required you to let the cashback balance accumulate to $50 before you could use it, then they cut the percentage down, etc.

I also fell for it because they heavily advertised that they would pay for damage on rental cars meaning you could accept the collision damage waiver--and never noticed that the credit card I already had, had always had the same feature.

So quite apart from the question of credit versus debit, I would say that I would think twice about a slightly-off-brand credit card if you don't currently have VISA or MasterCard
I use a Discover IT card regularly when purchases qualify for their quarterly 5% bonus, e.g. restaurants right now.

I've never had any problem redeeming cash back. You just login and click on the large WAYS TO REDEEM button on the website.

Then choose your favorite option: Direct deposit to you bank account, Credit your Discover account balance, purchase gift cards (usually at a nice discount), or donate to your preferred charity.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:02 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:18 pm
I fell for a Discover card a few years ago when they were offering their "Open Road" card that gave you 5% cashback on gasoline. As is so often the case, "the way I thought it worked" lasted less than a year and they started to erode the deal in subtle ways. They began to make it harder and harder to exercise the "cash back" feature to take dollars off your bill (rather than spend the "cash back" on a $69.95 Salton Digital Reciprocating Fondue Shooter), then they required you to let the cashback balance accumulate to $50 before you could use it, then they cut the percentage down, etc.
Weird. I've had a Discover card for over a decade, and I've never had an issue getting "cash back" credited as actual cash back. So far this year, I've redeemed the following as cash deposits into my checking account:
  1. $5.89
  2. $18.03
  3. $2.36
  4. $1.12
I could apply this as statement credit, but I prefer to have the cash in my account and auto-pay my bill on the due date.

To answer OP's question: I only use a debit card for a second checking account that's exclusively for sending money via Cash app, Venmo, and similar. It's an unnecessary risk to use it for day-to-day purposes.

Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 am
Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm
One more reason to use a credit card: the $1.98 balance from the two vending machine purchases I made with my Discover Card was waived. Apparently that’s too small of a balance for the bank to bother collecting.

That’s two free cans of soda, people. :greedy
This is one of the credit card strategies. Discover forgives $1.99 a month. I think Dr of Credit has the list of cards that forgive either $1.99 or $0.99 every month. For "sock drawer'd" cards, this is a great way to collect a bit every month and keep the card active.
Whoa, for reals? This is 100% new information to me. Thanks for sharing!
Google “small balance waiver” for details. A couple sites aggregate various banks’ waiver threshold, but it looks like the policies change quickly and aren’t always internally consistent. It’s cool when it happens, but it requires active “management” to reap tiny benefits.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 pm

I never use a debit card.
I called my credit union and asked if there was another kind of card I could use to get money from and ATM machine.
They sent me an ATM card. No VISA or MCARD is showing. The credit union website says that this ATM card can be used at Interlink or Maestro merchants only with a PIN. That information is not shown on the card.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 pm

The risks of using a debit card are too high, and the rewards for using a credit card instead are too high to warrant using a debit card.

Some friends of ours had their debit card information stolen, apparently at a gas station, while on vacation last year, and their checking account was emptied by the time they realized what had happened. It took weeks for them to sort it all out, and it was a huge headache. By comparison, we've had a credit card number stole four (!) times over the last 20 years, and the only difficult aspect of it has been changing all of our automatic charges over to the new credit card. We report the fraudulent charges, and they remove them and send us a new card. Easy peezy.

Further, over the last 20 years, I would conservatively estimate that we've received well over $20k in credit card rewards. We received over $7k in 2018 alone when we churned a lot of cards.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:05 pm

As far as debit cards vs credit cards, I've heard Clark Howard talk about debit cards not having the same consumer protections as credit cards. This in addition to no rewards that compare in value with credit cards (paid in full each month, of course).
Debit Cards vs. Credit Cards: Consumer Protections
Under federal law, a debit card doesn’t have the same protections that a credit card does.

Here’s a look at the basic protections and consequences of what happens in cases of debit card fraud vs. credit card fraud, courtesy of the Federal Trade Commission.

Debit Card Fraud:

You’re responsible for only up to $50 of unauthorized transactions if you report the card as lost or stolen within two business days.
Didn’t report the fraud within two days? You could lose up to $500 if someone uses your physical debit card without your permission — provided you report the fraudulent charges within 60 days after your statement is mailed to you.
Didn’t make that 60-day window to report fraud? You face potential unlimited damage if someone uses your ATM or debit card without your permission.

Contrast that with the level of protection you get when you use a credit card:

Credit Card Fraud:

You are not responsible for unauthorized charges under federal law if your credit card number is stolen.
You won’t be held liable for more than $50 in authorized charges if your actual card is stolen.
https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... -card-pay/
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:16 pm
Thought I would ask others.
Oh, good Lord, no. Never. Holy cow, why would you want to?

If someone is struggling with self-control over spending, write checks. Otherwise, use credit cards, preferably those with rewards.

DH’s debit card was compromised and it took almost six months for it all to get reconciled. In the meantime, he opened a new checking account at a different bank and moved all his financial affairs there, while letting the first bank mumble its way through the clean-up.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

greengrass222

Post by greengrass222 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 pm

Debit cards do have some protection, it's not like there is nothing. I've had a debit card compromised (one that I never actually used a single time) and easily reversed with a phone call while with a credit card, I couldn't prove the fraudulent transaction was fraudulent and the credit card company wouldn't refund me for that transaction. Credit card companies won't just cancel your card and refund fraudulent transactions unless there is a massive hacking of millions of accounts. Otherwise, you often have to prove you didn't do something, which is very difficult.

Just be careful and try to put only small money in an account where you intend to use a debit card. A lot of warehouse type grocery stores won't accept credit cards and carrying wads of cash is not very convenient, especially now where there is a coin shortage.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am

greengrass222 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 pm
Credit card companies won't just cancel your card and refund fraudulent transactions unless there is a massive hacking of millions of accounts. Otherwise, you often have to prove you didn't do something, which is very difficult.
That has not been my experience. The last time I had fraudulent claims, the bank noticed an irregularity before I did. The bank called me and sent me an email to ask me to call them. When I called, they told me about the charge that they suspected. I am not sure why they suspected it. I told them it was not proper and they went over all my recent charges with me. I was able to identify 2 or 3 more fraudulent charges. Although I could not prove it, I believe my number was stolen when I used my card at a restaurant. After deleting the fraudulent charges, the bank cancelled my card and sent a new one overnight.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:48 am

iamblessed wrote:
How many of you use debit cards all the time?
I never use them, for the same reasons as others have already pointed out. However, I have begun to notice in recent months that some merchants are either not accepting credit cards at all, or they are tacking on an extra 2.5% to the price for those using a credit card to pay. Under those circumstances, I would pay (reluctantly) with a debit card and then not do business with that merchant again. The two that I've come across most recently were a gas station and an auto repair shop. In the case of the gas station, I discovered their "debit card only" policy before I filled up, so I simply drove across the street to another station. In the case of the body shop, I was ambushed with the 2.5% credit card surcharge policy when it came time to pay, so I paid using a debit card since the work had already been done.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:54 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:48 am
iamblessed wrote:
How many of you use debit cards all the time?
I never use them, for the same reasons as others have already pointed out. However, I have begun to notice in recent months that some merchants are either not accepting credit cards at all, or they are tacking on an extra 2.5% to the price for those using a credit card to pay. Under those circumstances, I would pay (reluctantly) with a debit card and then not do business with that merchant again. The two that I've come across most recently were a gas station and an auto repair shop. In the case of the gas station, I discovered their "debit card only" policy before I filled up, so I simply drove across the street to another station. In the case of the body shop, I was ambushed with the 2.5% credit card surcharge policy when it came time to pay, so I paid using a debit card since the work had already been done.
For gas it's pretty common around here now, though it seems to ebb and flow over the years and at the moment it's almost all independent stations that aren't 'Top Tier' so I wouldn't go (and their prices for cash are almost always beaten by Costco w/ CC before considering cash back). Auto repair I guess is a natural extension but I've never seen it. A few restaurants are paper cash only, but I've never seen one that's DC/no CC, and no other B&M cases of people charging CC convenience fees. Of course various things on line charge CC convenience fees (sometimes same for DC, which would make DC an even worse idea), but in case of estimated tax I come out ahead paying the convenience fee a significant amount (more than pays the annual fee on card in question).

I think the reaction you mention is just too common: people would pay such a fee, then never go back. Lots of voices on the internet say they don't like the cost of credit card merchant fees embedded in goods and services prices, but in the real world socking customers with a fee for CC is a great way to drive them away. An individual merchant claiming 'I'm giving you better prices by charging CC users' has a big credibility problem that that's what they are really doing rather than trying to make a little more themselves. You have to have a really loyal client base (like cash only restaurants which survive) generally to buck convention in payment methods, or maybe be selling a true uniform commodity (as people at least who go to independent gas stations think is true of gas, actually 'Top Tier' seems to be meaningful to cars). Like you, I virtually never use DC (exception: Target DC at Target, 5% off) but I don't see any indication I'll have to rethink that.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:12 pm

sport wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am
greengrass222 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 pm
Credit card companies won't just cancel your card and refund fraudulent transactions unless there is a massive hacking of millions of accounts. Otherwise, you often have to prove you didn't do something, which is very difficult.
That has not been my experience. The last time I had fraudulent claims, the bank noticed an irregularity before I did. The bank called me and sent me an email to ask me to call them. When I called, they told me about the charge that they suspected. I am not sure why they suspected it. I told them it was not proper and they went over all my recent charges with me. I was able to identify 2 or 3 more fraudulent charges. Although I could not prove it, I believe my number was stolen when I used my card at a restaurant. After deleting the fraudulent charges, the bank cancelled my card and sent a new one overnight.
This was my experience as well.

I don’t carry my debit card in my wallet anymore. I pull it out of the desk drawer the once or twice a year I need to go to the ATM. It’s less about the risk than it is that the rewards are better with the credit cards.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm

The Target credit card gives 5% back at Target. (And has for as long as I can remember, like 20 years.) I never heard of a Target debit card. So I am confused at the earlier mention of this a bit above this post. Is there a Target debit card that gives you more than 5% back? If so, I'd be curious. Thank you for any more info on this.

sycamore

Post by sycamore » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:04 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm
The Target credit card gives 5% back at Target. (And has for as long as I can remember, like 20 years.) I never heard of a Target debit card. So I am confused at the earlier mention of this a bit above this post. Is there a Target debit card that gives you more than 5% back? If so, I'd be curious. Thank you for any more info on this.
Browse to https://www.target.com/redcard/about and search for "debit card" and there you'll find it.

I think all Target "RedCards" (credit, debit or MasterCard) have the same benefits including 5% back.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:26 pm
Do you have a smartphone? If so, I would consider getting a debit card only from a bank where you can lock the card. You keep the card locked most of the time. When you want to use it, you use your phone to unlock it first. And then lock it again after use.
I have this feature on both my bank and CU Visa debit cards, used for ATM withdrawals/deposits only. I don't use my debit cards for any other function; can't see why I would turn down 2% "refund" I get on my CC's for any purchases made.

- Ron

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:30 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:59 pm
I never use debit cards. I only use credit cards. Two reasons: First, debit cards don't have the same protections as credit cards. Second, credit cards have better rewards. I pay my credit cards in full each month, so I never pay interest.

Same here. Our goto card is Fidelity’s 2% rewards card.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm
The Target credit card gives 5% back at Target. (And has for as long as I can remember, like 20 years.) I never heard of a Target debit card.
That's funny, I'd never heard of a 5% back credit card at Target. My wife got the debit card a few years ago, it's 5% back for sure. I just never looked into whether it could be a credit card instead. :D But both are right there on their site, buttons for 'apply for credit' and 'apply for debit'.

Highlights the main issue for me with DC's. I've never found myself that bothered that the Target DC charges show up piecemeal on banking statement or the potentially greater hassle if the card gets compromised, which are though DC disadvantages. 2.625% on our main BOA Premium Rewards CC for everything and , 3.5% and 5.25% on special categories on BOA Cash Reward CC's, is what makes 0% back DC's, still standard, a complete non-starter as payment method for us. The other stuff is secondary. Although the Target debit is also more tolerable in terms of tracking because it's not dozens of charges not organized on a CC statement, only a few since we don't shop constantly at Target.
Last edited by JackoC on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Discover may be a decent 1% card, but there are better cards if you target use them.

Amazon Prime Visa, Costco Visa, Some cards for groceries or restaurants. Another might be better for travel.

I use my debit card for cash from an ATM. We try to charge most everything, reap rewards and pay off multiple times per month.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 pm

JackoC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm
Only debit card we use is Target one at that store, 5% off. Otherwise all spending is via CC at >=2.625% cash back, unless there's a discount for cash > than the CC cashback, or a convenience fee greater than it, or CC just isn't allowed. Then check or paper money.

I got a debit card for Penfed FCU checking account I opened basically just to get a bonus. Used it a few times as required for the bonus. It got hacked almost right away. :happy No money out of my pocket in the end but I don't know why I would use a debit card (I don't really believe it would affect how much we spend, and we don't have any need to spend less anyway).
You know there is a Target Credit card that gives the same 5% back right? I have that one because we go to Target frequently.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am

Gadget wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 pm
JackoC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm
Only debit card we use is Target one at that store, 5% off. Otherwise all spending is via CC at >=2.625% cash back, unless there's a discount for cash > than the CC cashback, or a convenience fee greater than it, or CC just isn't allowed. Then check or paper money.

I got a debit card for Penfed FCU checking account I opened basically just to get a bonus. Used it a few times as required for the bonus. It got hacked almost right away. :happy No money out of my pocket in the end but I don't know why I would use a debit card (I don't really believe it would affect how much we spend, and we don't have any need to spend less anyway).
You know there is a Target Credit card that gives the same 5% back right? I have that one because we go to Target frequently.
Yeah I think that was covered later actually, in a couple of posts :happy Like I said, my experience with the Target DC reinforces to me that the big problem with most DC's is no or low cash back. The other not so great characteristics of DC's haven't bothered my much in the Target case, though if it was something I used a lot more those problems (lack of organized record of spending on statement after the fact, more hassle if hacked) might be more significant. Anyway having learned, some posts ago :happy , there is a 5% Target CC, I don't feel right now like bothering to switch.