In Search of Part-Time Work While Still Working Full-Time

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
austin757

In Search of Part-Time Work While Still Working Full-Time

Post by austin757 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello all. I am seeking suggestions on finding good part-time work that can be done while still working a full-time job. I travel extensively for my regular job, so remote work is preferred, but not a necessity. FWIW, I don't work a standard 9-5. I often work weekends and have random days off during the week. Many times I am home by 12pm.

Has anyone found any good options like this? Any recommendations for certificates or other qualifications that would be beneficial for jobs like this? The one that I often hear about is remote IT work (software engineer, support roles, etc). Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

jarjarM

Re: In Search of Part-Time Work While Still Working Full-Time

Post by jarjarM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:14 pm

austin757 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Hello all. I am seeking suggestions on finding good part-time work that can be done while still working a full-time job. I travel extensively for my regular job, so remote work is preferred, but not a necessity. FWIW, I don't work a standard 9-5. I often work weekends and have random days off during the week. Many times I am home by 12pm.

Has anyone found any good options like this? Any recommendations for certificates or other qualifications that would be beneficial for jobs like this? The one that I often hear about is remote IT work (software engineer, support roles, etc). Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards
What do you for full-time job? Does your employer allow side gigs? I found that data analytic/science can be good part-time/remote work as long as it's project based.

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:16 pm

If you can get stability into your life, a popular side job is sports reffing.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm

austin757 wrote:

Regards
Pizza/food delivery person.

Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 pm

jarjarM wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:14 pm
austin757 wrote:

Regards
What do you for full-time job? Does your employer allow side gigs? I found that data analytic/science can be good part-time/remote work as long as it's project based.
Airline pilot. I can do any side gig that doesn't directly interfere. So anything remote on a laptop, for example, would be fine. I am unsure if I am qualified for any of these data jobs you mentioned. Do these require some type of certification? Thanks for the suggestion.

Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 pm

BeachPerson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:16 pm
If you can get stability into your life, a popular side job is sports reffing.
I hadn't thought of this. Thanks. I hope to get some stability as well.

Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm
austin757 wrote:

Regards
Thanks for the suggestion.

jarjarM

Post by jarjarM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 pm

austin757 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 pm
jarjarM wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:14 pm
austin757 wrote:

Regards
Airline pilot. I can do any side gig that doesn't directly interfere. So anything remote on a laptop, for example, would be fine. I am unsure if I am qualified for any of these data jobs you mentioned. Do these require some type of certification? Thanks for the suggestion.
Depends, if you want to work fo FAANG then you likely need a PhD in Applied Math or win a few Kaggle competitions. But for Kohl’s or some website in need of analyzing AB test, a few week or a month of data science boot camp along with decent stats understanding couple with some common sense should do it. It all depends on how much time and effort you want to devote to this.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Any idea how to get these data analytics side gigs

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm

jarjarM wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 pm
But for Kohl’s or some website in need of analyzing AB test, a few week or a month of data science boot camp along with decent stats understanding couple with some common sense should do it. It all depends on how much time and effort you want to devote to this.
Would expand more about the data science boot camp?
Is it only for the "young"?

jarjarM

Post by jarjarM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 pm

go_mets wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm
jarjarM wrote:
But for Kohl’s or some website in need of analyzing AB test, a few week or a month of data science boot camp along with decent stats understanding couple with some common sense should do it. It all depends on how much time and effort you want to devote to this.
If by “young” you mean age then no, it can be for young or older folks. The main focus of these boot camp is to get used to the syntax of python or R and also the basic understanding of statistics behind them. Most the boot camps have course designed for non technical folks that likely focus on marketing and sales data with a more intense track for more technical folks on ANN and CNN and the utilization of googles tensor flow or MS azure or etc.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm

jarjarM wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 pm
go_mets wrote:
jarjarM wrote:
If by “young” you mean age then no, it can be for young or older folks. The main focus of these boot camp is to get used to the syntax of python or R and also the basic understanding of statistics behind them. Most the boot camps have course designed for non technical folks that likely focus on marketing and sales data with a more intense track for more technical folks on ANN and CNN and the utilization of googles tensor flow or MS azure or etc.
I don't want to spend money for courses only to end up encountering ageism when looking for a part-time project.
If that is going to happen, I might as well spend the money on something I would enjoy. :happy

Can you recommend a boot camp?
Or how to go about looking for one?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm

My uncle, who was a pilot also (ended career with 747's) ,used to do clock repair on the side for a hobby and hopefully profit. Worked well for him but it got noisy at his house when it was 12:00. He told me that antique clocks generally ended up being not such a great investment though.

Topic Author
austin757

Post by austin757 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm

hicabob wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm
My uncle, who was a pilot also (ended career with 747's) ,used to do clock repair on the side for a hobby and hopefully profit. Worked well for him but it got noisy at his house when it was 12:00. He told me that antique clocks generally ended up being not such a great investment though.
Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion. I've often thought the best chance of making the part-time gig worthwhile would be doing something I genuinely enjoy. Turn a hobby/passion into some extra income.

jarjarM

Post by jarjarM » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 pm

go_mets wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm
jarjarM wrote:
go_mets wrote:
jarjarM wrote:
I don't want to spend money for courses only to end up encountering ageism when looking for a part-time project.
If that is going to happen, I might as well spend the money on something I would enjoy. :happy

You can try Udemy or Coursera. If you don't have any preference, then I would suggest starting with a python based boot camp. Here is the reference text book that's generally one of the most reference.

https://web.stanford.edu/~hastie/ElemStatLearn/

As for ageism, there's always some in rapid developing field, but I see older folks who brings quite a bit of experience and a real dose of common sense that's needed in some of the problems. Good luck. PM me if you need some additional info.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm

For other training and career research ideas, LinkedIn Learning (AKA Lynda.com) has a lot of good online videos. You can often get access for FREE through your local public library (vs. paying for a premium subscription.)

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm
For other training and career research ideas, LinkedIn Learning (AKA Lynda.com) has a lot of good online videos. You can often get access for FREE through your local public library (vs. paying for a premium subscription.)
How cool, free online Lynda learning videos. Just signed up with my local library.

Thank you!

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm

Amazon Flex might be an option. They pay $18-$25 per hour, but you are responsible for all vehicle costs, including fuel. The work is flexible and could fit in well alongside your FT job.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Coaching, skilled work types like generator tuneups, boat delivery/teaching, bar tender, excercize leader/teacher, home repairs.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm
With the gig worker economy, I'll expand on this, but first I'll ask that you speak to your auto insurance carrier. Mine made it crystal clear that any delivery for money required commercial insurance. Others have talked about inexpensive insurance, but you'd want to be covered. Not having it risks an accident ending your financial life because the insurance company's first question is "Was this car ever used for delivery or ride sharing?". I know....I had a car in an accident fixed recently and it was right before they asked if everyone was ok.

That out of the way.

Lots of food. Uber Eats, Door Dash and the like. Also pizza shops are all hurting for drivers.

Then there's Uber and Lyft. Look at the Mr. Money Mustache article where he did this for a short time to figure it out and figure out some of the tricks to not do things like drive 35 minutes out of your way for a 2 mile, $8 ride.

Amazon. If a warehouse is near you, you'll see a line of cars outside waiting. As a delivery driver with your own car, you can get your route number on your phone and pick what you want (at some warehouses). You then go in and tell them the number. They roll over a U-Boat (a rolling rack with the packages). The route has a $$ value assigned. You take the packages and make the deliveries. My son works in an Amazon warehouse and tells me that most cars doing deliveries have uber and/or lyft stickers on them. I see willthrill81 named this Amazon Flex.

All of these could work for you because none have a schedule attached. If you want to do it, you turn on the app and check in, then get assignments (except for dedicated pizza shops who do want to cover times).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm

I know a guy who is a flight attendant and also does substitute teaching. The nature of most substitute teaching is so last minute that either he is available or he isn't, he doesn't need to plan for it in advance. It doesn't hurt in either job that he is great with kids.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:27 pm

Will do good wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm
How cool, free online Lynda learning videos. Just signed up with my local library.

Thank you!
Cool! Glad you found that helpful! :beer

whaler08

Post by whaler08 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:39 pm

A family friend, senior 747 captain, was helping friends and neighbors with some handyman chores twenty years ago. Has since turned that into a profitable part time business. He can pick and chose which jobs he wants, plus the fact he enjoys working with his hands.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm

jarjarM wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 pm
go_mets wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:26 pm
jarjarM wrote:
go_mets wrote:
jarjarM wrote:

You can try Udemy or Coursera. If you don't have any preference, then I would suggest starting with a python based boot camp. Here is the reference text book that's generally one of the most reference.

https://web.stanford.edu/~hastie/ElemStatLearn/

As for ageism, there's always some in rapid developing field, but I see older folks who brings quite a bit of experience and a real dose of common sense that's needed in some of the problems. Good luck. PM me if you need some additional info.
^
This is a real stuff for serious learning. I will also give it a shot as a personal challenge. It it leads to something, highly unlikely, good. Otherwise, may be still worth the time and effort. Life is all about how to spend your time.