USPS insurance claim.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
fortfun

USPS insurance claim.

Post by fortfun »

I sent my parents some n95 masks back in June. Parents never received them. USPS says they were delivered to their po box (directly). Problem is their box is the small variety. There's no way a 9x11 cardboard priority envelop would even fit in their box. USPS has rejected my first 2 tries. I have one final try left. Advice on how I should convince them a 9x11 cardboard box would not bit in my parent's PO Box? My dad just turned 70 and does not suffer from dementia, etc.
02nz

Re: USPS insurance claim.

Post by 02nz »

Sorry, no advice on your question, but this is why it's never really worth paying for insurance on something that won't cause financial hardship. On average you lose, and even if you didn't there's the hassle of filing a claim.
megabad

Post by megabad »

What are the exact dimensions of the package vs the box? That is how I would convince them I guess but they could blame you for foolishly sending as well I suppose. Although, I don’t agree that a small package of masks would not fit in a small post office box. I know first hand that is not true. Now if you sent a 50 pack box that is different.
egrets

Post by egrets »

My impression is that if an item is too large for the po box, they store it elsewhere and put a note in the box. Perhaps I am wrong. But if I were you, I'd go to the local post office and ask in person or phone the local post office directly (not the general po number.)

Rereading you say envelope and also box. I can see a priority envelope being squished in there, a box, no.
Last edited by egrets on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

If sent priority mail (or with insurance), no harm in filing a claim as not delivered.

It will likely be denied if marked as delivered.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

egrets wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:21 pm My impression is that if an item is too large for the po box, they store it elsewhere and put a note in the box. Perhaps I am wrong. But if I were you, I'd go to the local post office and ask in person or phone the local post office directly (not the general po number.)

Rereading you say envelope and also box. I can see a priority envelope being squished in there, a box, no.
My dad has asked over and over. No luck...

It was a priority cardboard envelop. Not bendy enough to put in their small po box.
Last edited by fortfun on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 pm If sent priority mail (or with insurance), no harm in filing a claim as not delivered.

It will likely be denied if marked as delivered.
That's the problem. It says delivered but was not and could not fit in their po box.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

megabad wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:44 pm What are the exact dimensions of the package vs the box? That is how I would convince them I guess but they could blame you for foolishly sending as well I suppose. Although, I don’t agree that a small package of masks would not fit in a small post office box. I know first hand that is not true. Now if you sent a 50 pack box that is different.
I sent 10 n95s. The only priority envelopes they had were the stiff cardboard envelopes (not bendy). The post master in my town told me to use them because they didn't have anything else that was for priority mail.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

02nz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:39 pm Sorry, no advice on your question, but this is why it's never really worth paying for insurance on something that won't cause financial hardship. On average you lose, and even if you didn't there's the hassle of filing a claim.
Priority mail is automatically insured for $50. $50 is not really the end of the world but...
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Depending on the post office, when an item is too large for a PO Box, they either leave a notice in your box to claim the item at the counter or they leave a key for large parcel locker in your PO Box and put your item in that locker. In either event, they don't require a signature upon delivery unless you have paid for that service.

Has your father checked with the local postmaster to see if they are holding the package or if it is in a parcel locker?
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

You can ship anything the USPS carries to a PO Box. And, as noted by others above, the hold it and you ask for it at the service counter. Usually they put a note in the box, but you should just track it and when it's delivered, go ask for it and show them your key.
(Sometimes they forget the note.)

It's actually a good way to get any packages held.

If you are shipping to someone who has a PO Box, you can use this method (with signature-required processing) to make sure it's delivered.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

It's not about whether it fits in the box or not, it's about was it picked up by the owners of the box, or not, and was it stolen or given to someone else by mistake.

If you want to pursue, you, as sender, should first write to the Postmaster of the receiving post office- Use address- Postmaster, City, State, Zip Code with last four digits 9998 (e.g. 11236-9998).

If you don't get a reply. Send a copy of your letter and a cover letter indicating you tried to inform the local postmaster, but got no reply to:

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS SERVICE CENTER

ATTN: MAIL FRAUD

433 HARRISON STREET RM 3255

CHICAGO IL 60699-3255

Citation for mail fraud unit- https://about.usps.com/publications/pub ... ch_024.htm

By putting in writing, you will get a much better chance of a response to trying to figure out what happened.
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

fortfun wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm
egrets wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:21 pm My impression is that if an item is too large for the po box, they store it elsewhere and put a note in the box. Perhaps I am wrong. But if I were you, I'd go to the local post office and ask in person or phone the local post office directly (not the general po number.)

It was a priority cardboard envelop. Not bendy enough to put in their small po box.
Demand to speak to a manager or supervisor and have them do a search of surrounding PO Boxes in case of misdelivery to wrong box( you’d be surprised how many people do NOT pick up their mail on a regular basis, so might still be in that wrong box) and/or search the shelves for oversized packages on all of the shelves which are Usually filed alphabetically. Mistakes happen and get put on wrong shelves or wrong postal lockers or not given a key....And then if not found I would file a claim....Hope this helps!
BoneSpec

Post by BoneSpec »

Did you check his smaller PO box?

If a larger box is shipped to a small PO box, they will put the box in a larger holding unit and put the key for it in your smaller PO box.

I did this on purpose so as not to have to pay for the larger box.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

You'd be amazed what they bend to fit into my PO Box. I could easily see them bending the cardboard envelop in half and shoving it in the box. If it doesn't fit, then they put it in one of the larger package lockers and leave the key in the PO Box. If they're out of package lockers, then there's the note to claim the item at the counter.

And as others have said, I can also see them putting it in the wrong box. I get envelopes for surrounding boxes occasionally. My current post office recommendation is to just shove the misdelivered mail back through the box onto the floor behind the box, which is just perplexing to me and I could easily see how something would get lost if it landed wrong. My previous post office had a small mail box in the PO lobby specifically for misdelivered PO Box mail.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Texgal17 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Demand to speak to a manager or supervisor and have them do a search of surrounding PO Boxes in case of misdelivery to wrong box( you’d be surprised how many people do NOT pick up their mail on a regular basis, so might still be in that wrong box) and/or search the shelves for oversized packages on all of the shelves which are Usually filed alphabetically. Mistakes happen and get put on wrong shelves or wrong postal lockers or not given a key....And then if not found I would file a claim....Hope this helps!
Yeah, my dad's done this already. No luck. Oh well, guess I'm probably just out $50 worth of masks....
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

fortfun wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Yeah, my dad's done this already. No luck. Oh well, guess I'm probably just out $50 worth of masks....
How did you fit 10 x N95 masks in a cardboard priority paid envelope. They would be squashed to start with.
Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

palanzo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:35 pm
fortfun wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 pm

2 stacks of 5. Postmaster at post office said that's what I had to use because the didn't have anything else for priority :(
How did you fit 10 x N95 masks in a cardboard priority paid envelope. They would be squashed to start with.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

fortfun wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:36 pm USPS has rejected my first 2 tries. I have one final try left.
I don't try that hard, my US mail postal office is very bad. One day I asked my adult daughter to pick up our mail our family placed on hold. The postal office said her drivers license was fake and was temporary held for the police to show up since they believed she was way too young looking to be "that old". The police came to review her drivers license and was very apologetic to her. She was very upset with the way she was treated.
Last edited by 2pedals on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I had this happen recently (but the package showed up later at a neighbor's). The postmaster advised first calling the main usps number and basically filing a notice that a package was not received. This is done using the delivery address/post office. It was a long wait on the phone, but when they answered they were very helpful. They create a record and supply an incident number (it might be called something else), which creates a search for the item at the delivery post office that can take several days. If that search is not fruitful, then it's time to file for the insurance.
1959FenderMM

Post by 1959FenderMM »

What should have happened:
1. Item scanned as delivered, placed in PO Box, or
2. Item scanned as delivered, placed in parcel locker, key in box, or
3. Item scanned as attempted, placed on PO box parcel shelves, notice in PO Box.

What likely happened:
1. Item scanned as delivered, placed in wrong PO box (could be folded, could be larger size PO Box), or
2. Item scanned as delivered, placed in parcel locker, key in wrong box, or
3. Item scanned as delivered (wrong procedure), placed on PO Box parcel shelves, notice in PO Box (mixed with other mail). Boxholder doesn't see the notice, accidentally throws it in recycling with all those fliers, etc, or
4. Item scanned as delivered (wrong procedure), placed on PO Box parcel shelves, notice in wrong PO Box (mixed with other mail). Boxholder doesn't notice the notice, accidentally throws it in recycling with all those fliers, etc.

So either someone else has received an unexpected gift of N95 masks in their box, or they're still there somewhere. I'd bet on the former.
donaldson

Post by donaldson »

Did you follow the instructions for missing mail as listed here? There are a couple of steps that come before you file the insurance claim:

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

I had a package recently that was marked as delivered (to a street address, not a PO box) but that I could not find. I sent in a help request form (#2 on the page above) and got both a call and email from the local post office as they looked into it, and they were able to locate and deliver the package soon after.

Edit: because of the time that has passed since the package was mailed in June, you would want to submit the Missing Mail Search Request from #3 above.

Note: sending those requests might require a USPS online account, but it's free to sign up and I find it very useful.
44west

Post by 44west »

the scanner that the carrier uses to scan packages delivered has a gps tracking device to the location of delivery, have the lazy supervisor check the tracking number location on the delivery map to confirm correct location. Some supervisors may not even know how to do this but it does exist if they tell you otherwise. 31 yrs and retired from the post office 10/2018