Tax dilemma, thoughts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
investingdad

Tax dilemma, thoughts?

Post by investingdad »

Here's the summary:

We sent our county tax return in ahead of schedule.
We owed money.
We sent via certified mail with return receipt.

Time passes.

Check isn't cashed.
Return receipt isn't sent back.
We check USPS, tracking says tried to deliver but failed.

???

Now, we'll probably resend with a new check and just eat the late payment penalty as it's maybe $20.

But, isn't the whole point of return receipt certified to ensure this doesn't happen? Doesn't USPS have some responsibility?

:annoyed
orangesherbet

Re: Tax dilemma, thoughts?

Post by orangesherbet »

I would resend with a printout from USPS showing you did your part on time, and nicely ask if they would waive the penalty.
Pablov

Re: Tax dilemma, thoughts?

Post by Pablov »

You have to read the small print but they are probably not responsible, or liable, for much.
And now, sadly with the dismantling that USPS is going through, they are likely to get slower and less reliable.

I mailed lots of stuff through USPS for years and never had an issue until they lots a package I sent. It was a speaker I sold on ebay (worth around 175) and USPS lost it. Tracking showed it departing one of their warehouses along the route and that was it. never made it past that point, no new entries on the tracking, nothing. And after months of them 'investigating" they never found out what happened. And, according to them, they were not liable for anything because I had not paid insurance.

Good luck.