Stimulus check for deceased not received, should I forget it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
revheck

Stimulus check for deceased not received, should I forget it?

Post by revheck »

My father passed away in early March, before the stimulus legislation passed. I am the executor of his estate. I wondered whether or not he would be among the large number of deceased persons reportedly receiving a $1200 stimulus check. When the IRS clarified that such checks should be returned, I did plan to return it as instructed. Sure enough, his former assisted living facility forwarded the letter from POTUS mailed on May 15 saying that his check/debit card would be arriving soon. However, no check has arrived and the assisted living facility says they have no more mail for him.

Since I wasn't planning to keep the check anyway, my first reaction was not to worry about it. However, I checked on the IRS "Get My Payment" website and they say his check was mailed on May 15 to his address on file, which is his assisted living facility. I am concerned that someone else has cashed the check, knowing that my father has passed. And if this has happened, I'm concerned the estate will somehow be responsible for returning it when we file his final 2020 tax return next year.

There is an IRS Form 3911 to report the stimulus payment not received, but I'm not sure how to file this for someone who is deceased, and in any case I don't want to be accused of trying to collect a payment he shouldn't have received in the first place.

What to do?
Last edited by revheck on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Re: Stimulus check for deceased not received, should I forget it?

Post by livesoft »

Why not contact your congressperson's office and ask them? Mine is always sending me lots of e-mail telling me that they can help with lots of stuff.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

revheck wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:38 pm What to do?
I know you said the letter stated that the check was "mailed", but if your dad was receiving SS or veterans benefits via direct deposited, it likely was sent to the same bank. If the bank was notified of the death, the account may have been locked. If this situation is possible, check with the bank.
Topic Author
revheck

Post by revheck »

I know you said the letter stated that the check was "mailed", but if your dad was receiving SS or veterans benefits via direct deposited, it likely was sent to the same bank. If the bank was notified of the death, the account may have been locked. If this situation is possible, check with the bank.
His accounts were only locked for a few days in March, until they were transferred to my name as successor trustee. SS did stop depositing benefits, of course. He did not received his stimulus payment by direct deposit. The POTUS letter says "you are receiving an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 by check/debit card."

The IRS "Get My Payment" website says, "We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 15, 2020 to the address we have on file for you."
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

It may have been returned to sender by the assisted living facility. It is likely impossible to track down at this point, so don't worry about something that may never become an issue.

If it later turns out that the check was cashed, you can then file a police report, let them investigate the matter, and notify the IRS that the check was never received by the deceased or estate but was stolen. But at this point, there is really nothing you need to do.

IANYL.
MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG »

My deceased mother received a letter saying the stimulus funds had been mailed a few weeks prior, but a check/debit card was not received. Her mailing address was my address and we have had a rash of mail thefts. I, too, am wondering, as executor, if this could come back and become an issue.