IRS Direct Pay - Identity Verification Problems??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
batch

IRS Direct Pay - Identity Verification Problems??

Post by batch »

So I’m trying to use IRS Direct Pay for the first time, but I can’t get past the “Identity Verification” step.

I’ve tried almost everything I can think of:
- 5 different tax years with 3 different addresses
- Different name and address formats (e.g. APT 16B vs just 16B, AVE vs AVENUE, including middle initial vs excluding, all caps vs caps/lower case)
- Enabling Flash
- 2 different desktop browsers (Chrome and Safari)
- iPhone browser with wifi turned off
- Using VPN access

Nothing works!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some trick? Am I just an idiot?
egrets

Re: IRS Direct Pay - Identity Verification Problems??

Post by egrets »

When I check my credit reports each year, two of them are straightforward to access and Equifax never works. Perhaps the IRS is using Equifax.
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

Does the IRS use the credit agencies for this purpose? I have security freezes at all the agencies. Could that be the reason?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

If your credit files are locked, it will probably reject. I know Social Security hits one of the credit agencies to set up a SS account so it would likely be that the IRS does as well.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

I couldn't process the first few times and then it went through. I did 2019 return and entered amount owed and it finally went through.....
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

I just used it earlier this week to make a 2020 estimated tax payment and did not have any issues. I have my credit frozen at all three agencies. But I have used this the last couple years as well without any problems either and nothing has changed.
jj

Post by jj »

batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm Does the IRS use the credit agencies for this purpose? I have security freezes at all the agencies. Could that be the reason?
I doubt that's the reason, we have frozen our credit and I have never had a problem paying with IRS Direct Pay. Did you double-check the details from your previous year's tax return that you used for verification?
...it is madness to risk losing what you need in pursuing what you simply desire. Warren E. Buffett
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

jj wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:27 pm
batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 pm Does the IRS use the credit agencies for this purpose? I have security freezes at all the agencies. Could that be the reason?
I doubt that's the reason, we have frozen our credit and I have never had a problem paying with IRS Direct Pay. Did you double-check the details from your previous year's tax return that you used for verification?
Yep, I entered my name and address exactly as it appears on the return I'm using. I even tried three different previous addresses on five previous returns.

I was really hoping to avoid the post office!
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

To avoid post office: Use the USPS click and ship option. If you have a Priority Mail flat rate envelope, great. Otherwise, any envelope will do. You can buy the postage online for Priority Mail.
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

RudyS wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:12 pm To avoid post office: Use the USPS click and ship option. If you have a Priority Mail flat rate envelope, great. Otherwise, any envelope will do. You can buy the postage online for Priority Mail.
Thanks. I’ve always sent my taxes using certified mail. But unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way to do that without going to the post office.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 pm
RudyS wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:12 pm To avoid post office: Use the USPS click and ship option. If you have a Priority Mail flat rate envelope, great. Otherwise, any envelope will do. You can buy the postage online for Priority Mail.
Thanks. I’ve always sent my taxes using certified mail. But unfortunately I don’t think there’s a way to do that without going to the post office.
Why use certified mail? Priority Mail provides tracking too. I wouldn't mess up the IRS mail room, but you can pay extra for signature required on Priority Mail. Can be signature confirmation or adult signature required.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

I just did my payments, and did not have issues. I used Firefox as the browser. Are you entering your SSN without the dashes? It just wants the numbers. Other than that, it sounds like you covered all the other bases. If you're getting an error, let us all know and maybe it will ping our brains.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I signed up a couple of days ago for 2nd quarter estimated taxes. Used Firefox. It didn't like the first credit card I entered for verification, but took the 2nd one. No other issues.
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

RudyS wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:29 pm
batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 pm
Why use certified mail? Priority Mail provides tracking too. I wouldn't mess up the IRS mail room, but you can pay extra for signature required on Priority Mail. Can be signature confirmation or adult signature required.
My default for decades has always been certified mail, out of an abundance of caution. Maybe I will just do priority mail if I can’t figure out the electronic payments. Thanks!
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:39 pm I just did my payments, and did not have issues. I used Firefox as the browser. Are you entering your SSN without the dashes? It just wants the numbers. Other than that, it sounds like you covered all the other bases. If you're getting an error, let us all know and maybe it will ping our brains.
Yep, SSN without dashes.

I’m wondering if there was maybe an issue with the IRS website this morning. I’m going to try again later.

I will try Firefox as that’s the one browser I didn’t try yet. Will report back!
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:01 pm So I’m trying to use IRS Direct Pay for the first time, but I can’t get past the “Identity Verification” step.

- Different name and address formats (e.g. APT 16B vs just 16B, AVE vs AVENUE, including middle initial vs excluding, all caps vs caps/lower case)
- Enabling Flash
- Using VPN access

Nothing works!

Since you are doing a cell connect, I suggest you dump the VPN and try it. The std HTTPS connection will encrypt your transmission. The IRS site may need a better IP/location than what the VPN site gives.

For example -- Would you not suspicious when your entered address is Anywhere USA and the VPN IP says Ukraine? Extreme sure, but you have little idea what/where your VPN has routed you from. For me, my IP location comes back as Comcast, My City, CA.
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

RetiredAL wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 pm
batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:01 pm So I’m trying to use IRS Direct Pay for the first time, but I can’t get past the “Identity Verification” step.

- Enabling Flash
- Using VPN access

Nothing works!

Since you are doing a cell connect, I suggest you dump the VPN and try it. The std HTTPS connection will encrypt your transmission. The IRS site may need a better IP/location than what the VPN site gives.

For example -- Would you not suspicious when your entered address is Anywhere USA and the VPN IP says Ukraine? Extreme sure, but you have little idea what/where your VPN has routed you from. For me, my IP location comes back as Comcast, My City, CA.
I did try using a standard HTTPS connection first, but when that failed multiple times I tried remoting into my work computer and using that browser (which also failed).

This morning I tried using Firefox based on advice above from others, but that didn't work either.

Oh well, I give up. Will send physical checks. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

batch wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:35 am
RetiredAL wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 pm

- Enabling Flash
- Using VPN access

Nothing works!

I did try using a standard HTTPS connection first, but when that failed multiple times I tried remoting into my work computer and using that browser (which also failed).

This morning I tried using Firefox based on advice above from others, but that didn't work either.

Oh well, I give up. Will send physical checks. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
So we have a mystery .....

Let us know if you ever figure it out.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

My example is several years old, but I was working with my mother to arrange IRS Direct Pay and had similar problems to the OP and we were never able to overcome them. In the end, we just set up an ETPS account, which was more trouble, but we got that to work.
Topic Author
batch

Post by batch »

Thanks all for your responses.

I took a trip to the Post Office today - took me all of 30 minutes round trip! Compared to about 2 hours of frustration yesterday trying to figure out IRS Direct Pay. Not sure what the issue was (and probably never will). I will perhaps set up an EFTPS account before my Sept estimates are due.

Cheers.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

I don’t believe IRS Direct Pay uses credit reports, ours have been frozen for years and we have never had an issue with direct pay.

Try taking the address you used on your prior year tax return and look it up on usps.com. The standardized address per the post office may be slightly different so try using that. Also if there are multiple cities in your zip code try those as well.

If that doesn’t work it’s possible your date of birth is wrong in the IRS system. They get DOB information from social security so you may want to confirm your DOB is correct with the SSA.

Let us know if you manage to figure it out!
AAA

Post by AAA »

Related to this - Last month I tried a few times to get an Identity Protection (IP) PIN and got through all of the identity checking (they use Experian and I unfroze my file). Then the last step is to provide a mobile phone number as mailing of the PIN is not available at this time and it always fails at this step, saying it can't verify my mobile number, whatever that means. My name and address are the same on my taxes as on my mobile phone account, my caller ID was changed to match my name, etc. but it still failed. Anyone have an idea why?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

batch wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:44 pmYep, I entered my name and address exactly as it appears on the return I'm using. I even tried three different previous addresses on five previous returns.
The way these security measures are placed, if someone tries to access your account more than 3 times (or some threshold you might have crossed), it's suspicious and it might be someone trying to break into your account. For your protection, they might flag your account as potential fraud from that point on, and not let you in until they've cleared it. Now they wouldn't want to tip off the potential thief by telling them the account was locked, but even if the thief entered correct information, they wouldn't want to let them in or even confirm the information was correct, so they could misuse it elsewhere. It's a terrible catch-22 on both sides.

The funniest security trouble I had recently was answering those silly personal questions. I kept getting them wrong and finally had to give customer service a call. When I got in and looked at the questions, I saw that the answers were "Answer 1", "Answer 2" and "Answer 3". I don't know if I was stupid enough to enter those or those were the defaults the system had left there. It's like finding out your password is "Password" or "123456". Security is important, but they're making things so complicated that people are writing down their passwords to remember them or using obvious ones.

Aside from incorrect information in your file, double check that you're answering correctly for the tax year, not following filing year. Tracking down wrong information in your file can be next to impossible sometimes.
AAA wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 amThen the last step is to provide a mobile phone number as mailing of the PIN is not available at this time and it always fails at this step, saying it can't verify my mobile number, whatever that means. My name and address are the same on my taxes as on my mobile phone account, my caller ID was changed to match my name, etc. but it still failed. Anyone have an idea why?
I use Google Voice and Ooma and they've both given me trouble. Some companies don't like GV SMS texting, since it's not 100% identical to cell companies and others don't like VOIP. There's probably a higher incidence of fraudster using these technologies, so everyone using them might be blocked. I tracked down a Zelle issue to trying to use GV, but ironically when I used my wife's cell number, the GV received the 6 digit temporary code from the bank. I was able to send out one transfer, only to be denied a month later when the names on the cell number (wife) and zelle (don't know how that works) or bank account (joint - wife 2nd name) didn't match. Switched to Venmo for now.