Basic eBay Questions - New to eBay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Basic eBay Questions - New to eBay

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Hello,

I'm new to eBay. I'm not intending to big a major seller. I just want to try to sell of few items I have around the house. In retirement, so a little extra cash would be helpful.

Anyway, I set up an account but haven't yet listed anything yet because I need to set up payment options, such as a PayPal account, too.

1) How does payment work on eBay? For ex, if a buyer wants to buy something, how does the buyer pay the seller? Through PayPal or credit cards (cc)? If so, how does this actually work? And how then does the seller receive payment?

Also, I know that eBay charges the seller 10% on the sale price of an item, but does the seller or buyer also pay a transaction fee to PayPal/cc?

2) I have already added my own cc to my account. What role does my own cc have in the selling process? Or is it just there if I wish to buy something?

3) If I want to try to sell a high quality elliptical (200 lbs) machine in great condition, what is the safest way to have a potential buyer come to my home to look or buy it? (note: I would try to put it on Craig's List but that seems more risky because the machine can't be stored in a garage or an unfinished basement, per the manual. The potential buyer would have to come into my home.)

4) How does a seller decide whether to offer returns or no returns? Seems to me, things like collectibles or a 200 lb machine would not be returnable since they may be returned damaged.

Thanks in advance,
Werdy

Additional questions added July 14:

Sign-in question:
When signing in to eBay, is there a preference for either Apple or Gmail?

PayPal (PP) question:
How does PayPal work with the credit card (cc) if you a seller? A buyer? End-to-end?

Shipping:
1) Is there a guideline to individual sellers as to when to offer free shipping? Everyone likes free shipping but it’s costly for individual sellers. I read just to build the free shipping cost into the price.
2) What kind of scale should I use?
3) If you’ve not offering free shipping, how do you include shipping cost in a listing when you don’t know the zip code you are shipping to?
4) People are used to same or next day delivery by Amazon and big box retailers. Do eBay buyers tolerate more economical ground shipping?

Returns:
The first thing I have to sell is a collectible/vintage gear item in the range of $350-400. The item has sold up to $499 but usually $399 and as low as $180 within the last year. My sense is to use No Returns since it is a collectible. Thoughts?
Last edited by lhwerdyt*1791c on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
bob60014

Re: Basic eBay Questions - New to eBay

Post by bob60014 »

One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments. Plus I don't like their return policy, they always side with the buyer no matter the situation.

For just a few things around the house I would look at Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, especially for the larger items. I have had excellent success using both, plus there are no fees! Payment is always cash,. For items that can fit in the car I always meet the buyer in a public space (police department usually). For larger items there really isn't much choice other than the buyer coming to the home, I've never had a issue with this but others are hesitant doing so.

For the elliptical, I believe they mean long term storage, it will be fine short term in the garage.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

lhwerdyt*1791c wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am 1) How does payment work on eBay? For ex, if a buyer wants to buy something, how does the buyer pay the seller? Through PayPal or credit cards (cc)? If so, how does this actually work? And how then does the seller receive payment?
For a long time it was through PayPal. The received funds would sit in PayPal until the seller moved them to their checking account - or spent them buying other stuff on eBay.

With the eBay/PayPal divorce, things might be changing.
Also, I know that eBay charges the seller 10% on the sale price of an item, but does the seller or buyer also pay a transaction fee to PayPal/cc?
No buyer fees.
2) I have already added my own cc to my account. What role does my own cc have in the selling process? Or is it just there if I wish to buy something?
With the eBay/PayPal divorce, I think eBay can directly charge your purchases to a CC. Also, you might be able to use it to pay your seller fees.
3) If I want to try to sell a high quality elliptical (200 lbs) machine in great condition, what is the safest way to have a seller come to my home to look at it or buy it? (note: I would try to put it on Craig's List but that seems more risky because the machine can't be stored in a garage or an unfinished basement, per the manual. The potential buyer would have to come into my home.)
I see you're already on your way to be an eBay seller - you're already mixing up "seller" and "buyer".

Don't try selling a 200# machine on eBay.
4) How does a seller decide whether to offer returns or no returns? Seems to me, things like collectibles or a 200 lb machine would not be returnable since they may be returned damaged.
Offer refunds = buyer sends unwanted item back, you refund the buyer.

Not offer refunds = buyer throws unwanted item in trash, eBay takes money from you to refund the buyer.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I would recommend buying a few things first so you get a feedback score greater than zero. Otherwise buyers may be reluctant. Usually as a buyer I only look at sellers with lots of good feedback. Start your selling with small, cheap items that are easy to ship and not overly valuable while you learn.

Consider making your first few sales US only; its more difficult to deal with international shipping and, in my experience, more likely you'll get scammed.

Only ship to the PayPal verified address, and after you're paid. Do not under any circumstances ship to a third party address based on an email you get with some story about how they gave you the wrong address.

Ebay is not the right place for large items that require local pickup. You CAN set local pickup as an option, but you don't have any way to screen buyers. Facebook or a neighborhood mailing list is best for that kind of item, or Craigslist, but it's tough since you can't exactly meet the buyer at a police station to conduct the transaction.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I did what you are trying to 20 years ago. Back then it was great. Today I would not touch eBay with a 10 ft pole. The fee structure and competition from large businesses make it very hard to make any profit as a small private seller. And nobody bids on anything that is not “free shipping” these days, making it next to impossible to make money on low value or heavy items.

Also, the feedback system has changed to so heavily bias buyers that it’s easy to get scammed. Buyer can claim they never received an item, and even with zero evidence eBay will force a full refund. I got ripped off that way once even with a tracking receipt.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

One word.....Don't.

For your sale, you will pay the 10% ebay commission plus the paypal fixed and percentage charges. Your money will be hung up for about a month. If the buyer comes to your house to pick this thing up, he'll get it home, dispute the transaction as "item not received" and since you didn't ship is and you have no UPS/FedEx/USPS shipping number to verify it was shipped, you lose and all the money is withdrawn from your account and you, as a seller have zero recourse.

Save yourself the hassle and put the thing at the end of your driveway with a big "free" sign on it.

Alternately, try the craigslist/facebook marketplace/letgo sites where they aren't a bunch of scammers and rip off artists.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jharkin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:22 am I did what you are trying to 20 years ago. Back then it was great. Today I would not touch eBay with a 10 ft pole. The fee structure and competition from large businesses make it very hard to make any profit as a small private seller. And nobody bids on anything that is not “free shipping” these days, making it next to impossible to make money on low value or heavy items.

Also, the feedback system has changed to so heavily bias buyers that it’s easy to get scammed. Buyer can claim they never received an item, and even with zero evidence eBay will force a full refund. I got ripped off that way once even with a tracking receipt.
+1

20 years ago, I had an eBay consignment shop. I sold literally thousands of higher priced items. An occasional buyer would try to scam me, and a very few succeeded. I would not buy or sell on eBay today; the downhill spiral began with Meg Whitman. If you have Nextdoor, I’d try that.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Watty

Post by Watty »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments. Plus I don't like their return policy, they always side with the buyer no matter the situation.
+1

We used to sell stuff on eBay and over the years sold several hundred things on eBay. About 7 or 8 years ago they changed their business model and took any all protections for small seller and there are scammers that know how to game the system to basically steal stuff. We occasionally still sell stuff there that would be hard to sell any other way but I would never try selling anything there that would cost more than about $50 dollars now.

Most sales went fine and we only ran into a few problems ourselves but the one that really turned us off eBay was;

1) My wife listed some high end shoes that would have sold for several hundred dollars when new.
2) They sell for maybe $40 which was an OK price.
3) Seller waits about 28 days of the 30 day dispute window(I forget the details) and contacts us to say that she has a problem with the shoes.
4) We say OK return them and if the problem is true we will refund your money and pay for shipping.(We did not take returns for no reason.)
5) Seller responds that she cannot return the shoes because she is out of the country on a trip now.
6) She files a dispute with eBay, and gets an automatic refund within 15 seconds of filing the dispute even though she did not return the shoes.
7) 15 seconds after eBay got her dispute we get a message from eBay saying something like, "After careful consideration we decided in the buyers favor." There is no way to appeal the decision.
8) They even charged us fees to process the refund.

Anyway the seller got to keep the shoes and a full refund.

We were out; the shoes, the cost of shipping, the sales fees, and additional fees to process the refund.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Counterpoint, I have been selling for many years. Yes, things can happen, but overall, there is no other place to get this kind of audience to buy your items.

Most people in the world are still good and just want your item. List honestly and you will have success.

One other place I like as a seller is Mercari. Flat 10%, buyer has 3-days to start a return, if they don't, you get paid and they have zero recourse.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 am Counterpoint, I have been selling for many years. Yes, things can happen, but overall, there is no other place to get this kind of audience to buy your items.
I stopped selling on eBay about 3 years ago.
I also had no problems with any of my sales.
However, I would never sell on eBay again.
All it takes is a buyer like the one Watty describes to completely "bankrupt" you.

By the way, the refund time with Paypal is 6 months!
Absolutely ridiculous.
Even Walmart and Target's refund time is only 3 months.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am We were out; the shoes, the cost of shipping, the sales fees, and additional fees to process the refund.
So a buyer is not allowed to leave the country if they buy stuff from you and want to return it?

Your story makes no sense. So because you were out $40 you give up on using a platform that earned you thousands? Ever heard of the "cost of doing business"?
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am All it takes is a buyer like the one Watty describes to completely "bankrupt" you.

Absolutely ridiculous.
How is $40 going to bankrupt anyone? And what's wrong with 6-month warranty? If you are selling quality items they should all last well beyond that.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:49 am If you have Nextdoor, I’d try that.
Nobody uses Nextdoor in my area. The smaller the market, the less you will get for it and the longer it will take to sell.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments.
So access to a global market of buyers should be free?
oko

Post by oko »

I will respectfully disagree with many of the above. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years. I am not a professional seller at all, I only sell my used stuff.

* I probably sold 500+ items in the last 20 years. Probably 5 or so returns requested by buyers. All except one was for legitimate reasons.
* Only one I suspect was a fraudster. It was a $20 restaurant gift card, and the buyer claimed it has no value in it.
* As Tim Ferris says in his "4 hour work-week", majority of people are honest and fraudsters are really small minority. (Tim Ferris was offering 110% money back guarantee for the stuff he sold. And he still succeeded).
* I have seen pretty nice people:
* I was selling my brother's lotr cards that he got as a gift. One buyer send me extra money because I had no idea what I was selling and apparently a "foil" item was more valuable than a non-foil.
* One item I sold did not reach the buyer for over a month. The buyer did not accept a refund, she kept saying "it is not your fault, it is post office's fault" (it eventually found its way).
* Many times I got compliments saying that "the item was better than he/she expected."
* If you go with local sales on craigslist/nextdoor (which I do also for large/unshippable items), you will (in general) get much less cash than ebay and dealing people locally is more frustrating for me (mostly for no-shows). But I found a nice way for this also: I leave the items on our porch and buyer leaves the money under the doormat. This way, "no-show" is no issue. And there was not a single buyer who stole the item (one left $20 instead of $10 though, because he thought the item was worth $20 :-)).
Last edited by oko on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am
go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am All it takes is a buyer like the one Watty describes to completely "bankrupt" you.

Absolutely ridiculous.
How is $40 going to bankrupt anyone? And what's wrong with 6-month warranty? If you are selling quality items they should all last well beyond that.
A warranty is for the manufacturer. I am not a manufacturer. I am just a seller.
I buy used laptops which is one of the most problematic items that one can buy on eBay.
I can usually figure out something is truly faulty as soon as I use it.
Certainly within 30 days.

go_mets

Post by go_mets »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 am
bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments.
Nobody said free. But 10% fee for the chance of getting scammed.
NO.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:36 am
Watty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am We were out; the shoes, the cost of shipping, the sales fees, and additional fees to process the refund.
So a buyer is not allowed to leave the country if they buy stuff from you and want to return it?

Your story makes no sense. So because you were out $40 you give up on using a platform that earned you thousands? Ever heard of the "cost of doing business"?
The shoes were $40.
The fees are $4.
The shipping to is $10

All together he is out not just the $54 but also the $40 because he no longer has the shoes to sell.
So he is out $94.

knightrider

Post by knightrider »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am Nobody said free. But 10% fee for the chance of getting scammed.
NO.
And the alternative is what? Sell locally for much less and waste time dealing with tire-kickers and deadbeats?
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am
All together he is out not just the $54 but also the $40 because he no longer has the shoes to sell.
So he is out $94.

It's the cost of doing business. If this happens so much that it affects your bottom line then I would question how you are running your business.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

I love Ebay and have been selling on there for over 20 years. Appears you got your questions answered.

The elliptical should be sold on Facebook or Craigslist or whatever is good in your LOCAL area.

Ebay is best for lighter things and/or smaller things. When you get into large and/or heavy the postage can be an issue.

Yes, you should weigh your stuff before listing as you will put that in your listing. However, I never put into a box until they are sold. I thus usually weigh the item without a box/packaging and then round up. I sometimes guess wrong which can be problematic in shipping costs. Or if I don't have the right size box.

Speaking of boxes save all boxes, padded envelopes, etc... that you get from Amazon, etc.... If you start really selling stuff you never know how many you will use.

I would get the mailing label stickers. There are free ones through the FedEx app although I used my free allotment up so bought a pack. Easier than trying to tape a piece of paper label to the box.

Always do your postage through Ebay so your tracking is automatically connected to the item. Cuts down on problems.

Sell a bunch of cheap items to start to get your feedback rating and time on Ebay up a little bit. Then slowly start selling more pricier things. Plus, you will learn as you go so make mistakes with lower dollar items.

If you sell a high dollar item (we all have different thresholds) I always do the signature guarantee. It's like $2.50 extra but cuts down on fraud/theft/scammers.

Have fun. Don't take it too serious. Good luck!
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:52 am
So he is out $94.

It's the cost of doing business. If this happens so much that it affects your bottom line then I would question how you are running your business.
"business" who said business?
When eBay started it was for regular people to sell things they don't want anymore.
At least that is for me.

I am not in business on eBay !
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:50 am
go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am Nobody said free. But 10% fee for the chance of getting scammed.
NO.
And the alternative is what? Sell locally for much less and waste time dealing with tire-kickers and deadbeats?
Yes. I'd rather waste my time which is free versus truly losing $40.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 am Counterpoint, I have been selling for many years. Yes, things can happen, but overall, there is no other place to get this kind of audience to buy your items.
All it takes is a buyer like the one Watty describes to completely "bankrupt" you.

Absolutely ridiculous.
If a pair of shoes will bankrupt you, certain risks should not be taken (like selling on eBay). There is risk and also massive upside of selling on eBay.

NOTHING is risk free. Investing in index funds is not risk free, running a business, walking on the sidewalk, etc. It is a risk calculation and I and millions of others take that risk on eBay and do just fine.

But honestly, I like the fear mongering, fewer competitors :)
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am
NO.
Life is full of chances to get scammed but I have sold THOUSANDS of items on Ebay and I can remember 3 problems with buyers. The one was an obvious scam and Ebay gave me my money without delay and removed the fake negative rating. In the other 2 maybe it was a scam and maybe it was postal theft. That's out of THOUSANDS of sales. $100k+ in money and I have had $100 I had to eat. That doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. I would be more worried about the grocery store overcharging you for some food item because that scam, errrr "mistake," happens DAILY to most of us!
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I have been using ebay for 20 years. Lots have changed over time, but you should know that nowadays ebay is very buyer focused and it is very easy for people to scam you and ebay will always side with the buyer. I strongly recommend being a discerned seller; I try to be cautions I have never been scammed in thousands of transactions. If a buyer has no feedback or negative feedback, then don't sell it to them. Don't sell overseas. Always login into your paypal account to confirm the funds are there before shipping the item (A scammer can send an email that looks like it came from paypal saying you got funds when you didn't).

You pay 10% commission to ebay, and paypal also takes a cut on the payment for their fees (about 3%). Google ebay fee calculator if you want know know exactly what the fees are. Most of the times the fees are worth it, because items go for more money on ebay vs local selling on offerup/craigslist.

When you are a new user, paypal will hold your funds until your shipment is received by the buyer. After you become established, the funds are available immediately.

I use ebay only to sell things that I can easily ship (although I have sold 2 cars there, but that's a different story). I do not recommend listing an elliptical machine on ebay, you need to sell that to a local buyer and for that Offerup, Craigslist of Facebook Marketplace are better options - plus, no commisison!
Last edited by sk2101 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have both bought and sold on eBay - I probably have 450+ as a buyer and 50 or so as a seller. Joined in 2001. I’ve had one bad experience as a buyer and none as a seller but I do know people who have. So it’s a risk. In my case with my bad experience as a buyer, I had a case go against me - basically seller would not accept a return even though they offered returns. I ultimately ended up calling eBay, they had a supervisor call me back who basically said, “yeah, we screwed up, you are right” and covered my return.

To answer you questions as to how I do it:

1) I accept Paypal only. The buyer wins the auction or does buy it now, pays on eBay thru Paypal, I ship the item and Paypal credits my account. I can use the money in Paypal to buy other stuff or I can transfer to my checking. There is a final value fee from eBay plus a fixed transaction fee and percentage fee from Paypal as well. These add up to around 10-12% in my experience.

2) Credit card linked to Paypal is only used for buying in my experience

3) You can list it as pickup only on eBay but I’d agree with others that Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist might work better

4) I typically accept returns and usually will offer free shipping as well because my experience is that those things result in higher bids and sale prices. If I am concerned with losing money, I will use a starting price to cover shipping plus some minimum amount. Some people will start auctions at 99 cents but I don’t usually do that. If I have an item I’d like to get $100 for, similar items go for $85 - 115 and will cost $5 to ship, I might start it at $40 or so but with a buy it now of $105.

I do agree with others to buy a few things first. I sell mostly low value items - $10 to $100 so if something goes wrong, it’s not a big loss.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

No, I never said that. It's too rich for my blood, there are better options.
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

Agree with others.
1. Never ship an item till the payment is received by PayPal/eBay. As a new seller, your funds will be held till shipping company provides confirmation of an arrival or delivery scan.
2. For higher priced items, ask for signature confirmation on delivery
3. When selling lower priced items, aggressive buyers may use negative feedback as leverage. Don't fight that battle, and keep your feedback score close to 100%
4. Take pictures of shipped items and box before shipping. In case of a buyer scam, you may be able to use these pictures to back up your claim.
5. Don't accept any other payment methods other than PayPal or eBay's newer direct payment system
6.Monitor your account/email for buyer disputes. The time window for resolution is short, and if you don't respond you may lose the claim.
7. Create a FAQ list for buyers who are window shopping and ask a lot of questions
9.Ship as soon as payment is received. Again, there is a short window here and getting tagged as a fast shipper boosts your search results
10. Build a good and high feedback score as a buyer of lower priced items, and then as a seller of low priced items. Having a higher feedback score, quick ship times, flexible returns policy will give your item better search visibility.
11. Your credit card on file will be charged for fees each month, or with the newer system fees may be withheld from the buyer payment and your will receive the money with the fees deducted. Ensure that you are not delinquent on paying your monthly invoice.
12. Your listing should be simple and clear. Be familiar with listing policies and what may get you in trouble for a violation.
Watty

Post by Watty »

They had plenty of time to inspect the item before they left the country and they did not raise any issues for several weeks until after they had left the country.

I have heard of plenty of other people with similar problems and now if I wanted to sell something like that I would just take it to a local consignment store. In my post I said;
We occasionally still sell stuff there that would be hard to sell any other way but I would never try selling anything there that would cost more than about $50 dollars now.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The shoes were $40.
The fees are $4.
The shipping to is $10

So he is out $94.

You are double counting the money since the seller originally paid for the shoes so that money was just given back. I don't remember the real numbers but in your example the right number would have been $54.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Bobby206 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:01 am
NO.
Life is full of chances to get scammed but I have sold THOUSANDS of items on Ebay and I can remember 3 problems with buyers. The one was an obvious scam and Ebay gave me my money without delay and removed the fake negative rating. In the other 2 maybe it was a scam and maybe it was postal theft. That's out of THOUSANDS of sales. $100k+ in money and I have had $100 I had to eat. That doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. I would be more worried about the grocery store overcharging you for some food item because that scam, errrr "mistake," happens DAILY to most of us!
You have a business on eBay if you have sold "THOUSANDS".
I am a regular person. I cannot take the "hit".

go_mets

Post by go_mets »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 am
go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am

Absolutely ridiculous.
If a pair of shoes will bankrupt you, certain risks should not be taken (like selling on eBay). There is risk and also massive upside of selling on eBay.

NOTHING is risk free. Investing in index funds is not risk free, running a business, walking on the sidewalk, etc. It is a risk calculation and I and millions of others take that risk on eBay and do just fine.

But honestly, I like the fear mongering, fewer competitors :)
I meant in "bankrupt" as in I am out of the item and the fees and the shipping.
Before eBay sale I had a perfectly good item.
After eBay sale I have zilch and I am essentially paying eBay the "privilege" of being scammed and the USPS postage to faciliate the scam.

I am no longer willing to end up nothing which is what happens when one is scammed on eBay.

Last edited by go_mets on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Watty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:58 pm

The shoes were $40.
The fees are $4.
The shipping to is $10

So he is out $94.

You are double counting the money since the seller originally paid for the shoes so that money was just given back. I don't remember the real numbers but in your example the right number would have been $54.
Right.
You ended up paying $14 for the "privilege" of being scammed.

Watty

Post by Watty »

Part of the problem with eBay for a seller is that they pretty much automatically side with a buyer and scammers know that.

If there was a problem and I lost a dispute what was even slightly in a gray area that would be a lot different than refunding a buyer who did not return an item.
simas

Post by simas »

Stay away from eBay unless that is your full time job and you are professional seller very used to 'costs of doing business'.

eBay is expensive in its fees, very biased against you as a seller, and put the burden of proof for everything on you.

I rather give item away than sell on eBay. if I really want to sell computer stuff, I would post WTB ad in one of many computer forums or look at WTS in there.

although, you may get some entertainment for bots that no matter what you post and at what price contact you with sob story of 'I am a poor student that can only afford 0.6x . would you accept that?' , does not matter what you sell or at what price, these bots would still send you their "sob stories" :)

in short, e-bay is worse than flea-market ever was. for very few professional sellers, may be it is another channel. for vast majority of the folks, total waste as a place to get rid of unwanted things.
Last edited by simas on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:08 am Only ship to the PayPal verified address, and after you're paid. Do not under any circumstances ship to a third party address based on an email you get with some story about how they gave you the wrong address.
This is probably the most important rule for avoiding scams as a seller. Scammers will monitor high-value transactions (like iPhones) and after they end, they send you a message with a story about having to be in a different city because of a sick relative, can you please send to this other address instead (usually in Delaware*). The scam is actually quite obvious - the request is coming from a different user, not the buyer. And, you should always require signature for delivery (not just tracking) for high-value items (say over $200 or so). Observing those rules, my experiences as a seller have been fine, haven't been scammed out of any money in my nearly 20 years of selling (maybe 400-500 total items).

* This doesn't mean orders with an address in DE are scams, there are companies that forward packages overseas (because many items, esp. electronics, are cheaper in the U.S.)
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I've used eBay to sell odds and ends of stuff, some housewares when downsizing or cleaning out parents estates, over many years. Also buy some stuff. Never anything really expensive, or high fraud stuff like electronics. Never had any problems. eBay is great for buying used books.
Be careful when listing stuff, use good photos and accurate descriptions. When checking eBay items that other people list, to get an idea of prices, ignore all the ridiculous wishful thinking prices that people ask. Look at the prices for items that have sold.
About international shipping: eBay has a process where you just mail the item to a warehouse and they resend it. This was a couple of years ago, but it worked fine.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I have bought & sold on eBay for 20 years; never any problem with 100s of transactions, even items selling for hundreds of dollars. These have mostly been niche collectibles so there is a self-selected clientele. I think people find trouble when they sell valuable things that many are interested in: expensive electronics, coins, etc. For shipping I like the USPS flat-rate priority boxes. Buyers like free shipping and I start my auctions at 1$ or have a reasonable buy-it-now price. If I ever got rooked by a buyer I would shrug it off a the cost of doing business. Not worth losing sleep. Any large item I would sell through the Facebook local marketplace groups with porch pick-up or give away for free on Craigslist. Good luck!
Nobody knows nothing.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Been on Ebay buying and selling since 2000 and have over 1,600 feedbacks. I can say less than 5 sales turned troublesome and only one went bad. Other than cars, some of the stuff I list I would have tossed in the trash and most are my person items or things that haven't cost me anything. It's a lot different if you buy stuff just to resell. Any seller with under 50 feedback score is going to attract scammers like sharks are attracted to blood, especially for items like cellphones or electronics. I have had no issue will listing large items for local pickup only and don't get worried about letting a stranger into my house to pick it up, but that's just me. I don't have any real valuables they would steal.
Elric

Post by Elric »

DW and I have used eBay to sell stuff we were getting rid of, as well as to buy stuff. We're not commercial sellers, so we haven't sold a ton of items. I believe the bad stories, but I've only had one minor one. I had one small value item (a collectible booklet) that the buyer said was creased when he received it. I don't know if it was or not, but gave him what he wanted (I think it was half off), and we were both satisfied. It was a small dollar item, too small a market to sell locally, and the alternative was tossing it in the trash, so I still came out ahead. I've not had any other problems selling.

As a buyer, I've bought items costing up to a couple of hundred dollars. I think twice I received merchandise that didn't work properly, and both times the dealer promptly sent a replacement.

I DO agree that Facebook Marketplace and Craigs List are MUCH better for hard to ship items, and more convenient for many sales. Do beware of scamming buyers on Marketplace and Craigs List. A common one is offering a cashier's check and to wait until after you deposit it to get the merchandise. The bank will accept the check, then later determine that it's actually fraudulent. You are stuck and your item has been stolen at that point. I always require cash payment, as others have said.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

There's a very good reason why Ebay sides more with the buyer and not the seller. It's because there are A LOT more shady sellers than they are buyers . Way too many sellers waiting for the greater fool to buy their poorly described overpriced junk.

Sellers who describe their items well and price to sell have little to worry about.
Last edited by knightrider on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Elric wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 pm I had one small value item (a collectible booklet) that the buyer said was creased when he received it. I don't know if it was or not, but gave him what he wanted (I think it was half off), and we were both satisfied.
Buyers are a lot more astute than you realize. They are sophisticated and looking for niche items in excellent condition. Sellers on the other hand often acquire stuff from estate sales and have no idea what qualities are important to buyers.
Last edited by knightrider on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

go_mets wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm
Bobby206 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:01 am
NO.
You have a business on eBay if you have sold "THOUSANDS".
I am a regular person. I cannot take the "hit".

It's thousands of sales over 21 years so not much of a business.

What hit have you taken? One or two out of thousands who scam you or something? There is no better way to sell small items. You can sell small piles of junk as long as someone thinks it's "collectible." lol.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:36 pm There's a very good reason why Ebay sides more with the buyer and not the seller. It's because there are A LOT more shady sellers than they are buyers . Way too many sellers waiting for the greater fool to buy their poorly described overpriced junk.

Sellers who describe their items well and price to sell have little to worry about.
Agreed.
Elric

Post by Elric »

knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Elric wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 pm I had one small value item (a collectible booklet) that the buyer said was creased when he received it. I don't know if it was or not, but gave him what he wanted (I think it was half off), and we were both satisfied.
Buyers are a lot more astute than you realize. They are sophisticated and looking for niche items in excellent condition. Sellers on the other hand often acquire stuff from estate sales and have no idea what qualities are important to sellers.
Understood. It did not have a crease when i shipped it, and with the way I packed it, hard to see that it would have gotten one, but it's certainly possible. Only complaint I ever received, and resolved to mutual satisfaction without eBay action.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:55 am One reason I stopped using eBay are the high fees for selling and for payments. Plus I don't like their return policy, they always side with the buyer no matter the situation.

For just a few things around the house I would look at Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, especially for the larger items. I have had excellent success using both, plus there are no fees! Payment is always cash,. For items that can fit in the car I always meet the buyer in a public space (police department usually). For larger items there really isn't much choice other than the buyer coming to the home, I've never had a issue with this but others are hesitant doing so.

For the elliptical, I believe they mean long term storage, it will be fine short term in the garage.
Very helpful! Thank you
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Elric wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm
knightrider wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Buyers are a lot more astute than you realize. They are sophisticated and looking for niche items in excellent condition. Sellers on the other hand often acquire stuff from estate sales and have no idea what qualities are important to sellers.
Understood. It did not have a crease when i shipped it, and with the way I packed it, hard to see that it would have gotten one, but it's certainly possible. Only complaint I ever received, and resolved to mutual satisfaction without eBay action.
Very important to know when selling or buying. Thank you for this.
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Elric wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 pm DW and I have used eBay to sell stuff we were getting rid of, as well as to buy stuff. We're not commercial sellers, so we haven't sold a ton of items. I believe the bad stories, but I've only had one minor one. I had one small value item (a collectible booklet) that the buyer said was creased when he received it. I don't know if it was or not, but gave him what he wanted (I think it was half off), and we were both satisfied. It was a small dollar item, too small a market to sell locally, and the alternative was tossing it in the trash, so I still came out ahead. I've not had any other problems selling.

As a buyer, I've bought items costing up to a couple of hundred dollars. I think twice I received merchandise that didn't work properly, and both times the dealer promptly sent a replacement.

I DO agree that Facebook Marketplace and Craigs List are MUCH better for hard to ship items, and more convenient for many sales. Do beware of scamming buyers on Marketplace and Craigs List. A common one is offering a cashier's check and to wait until after you deposit it to get the merchandise. The bank will accept the check, then later determine that it's actually fraudulent. You are stuck and your item has been stolen at that point. I always require cash payment, as others have said.
Thanks!
Topic Author
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

windaar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm I have bought & sold on eBay for 20 years; never any problem with 100s of transactions, even items selling for hundreds of dollars. These have mostly been niche collectibles so there is a self-selected clientele. I think people find trouble when they sell valuable things that many are interested in: expensive electronics, coins, etc. For shipping I like the USPS flat-rate priority boxes. Buyers like free shipping and I start my auctions at 1$ or have a reasonable buy-it-now price. If I ever got rooked by a buyer I would shrug it off a the cost of doing business. Not worth losing sleep. Any large item I would sell through the Facebook local marketplace groups with porch pick-up or give away for free on Craigslist. Good luck!
I think part of the concern for some using CL and at home pick-up is if the seller is female. But there are ways to protect yourself, such as having friend(s) be there in the seller's home.