Starting Hourly Wage for a BSN Graduate

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
careerdata

Starting Hourly Wage for a BSN Graduate

Post by careerdata »

If all continues to go well my wife will graduate from her Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program in August 2021 and I was curious about what the starting hourly wage might be in other parts of the country currently as a reference point. We live in St. Louis, MO and we both currently work for a local healthcare system. My wife works part-time 24 hours-per-week as a Patient Care Technician (PCT) and she earns $12.65 per hour. She works alongside and supports full-time nurses so this has been a great training ground even with all the challenges of COVID-19 patients to see classroom theory put into practice. They have been cycling PCTs and nurses on-and-off the COVID-19 floors and my wife just completed 3.5 months on the COVID-19 floors and has returned to her normal high-risk cardiology floor for at least a month unless a second surge of COVID-19 patients hit.

In St. Louis the current competitive hourly wage for a Spring 2020 BSN graduate is $25.50 and most graduates work three 12-hour shifts each week. I am trying to confirm that the VA may be paying higher than that but the $25.50 figure comes from benchmarking the three large not-for-profit healthcare systems in St. Louis.

It is not clear what impact COVID-19 might be for BSN graduates going forward but so far this hasn't slowed down the hiring rate of new BSN graduates for the healthcare system that we both work for.

I look forward to and greatly appreciate any responses that can be shared on this very informal BSN starting hourly wage survey! :happy

Best regards,

Joe
runner3081

Re: Starting Hourly Wage for a BSN Graduate

Post by runner3081 »

Have you checked Glassdoor?

Also, look for companies with unions. Many times those pay ranges are easy to discover or may be in the job listings.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Government agencies usually post their pay scales publicly. Have you checked the googles?

Beyond that, nursing salaries seem to be really local. When we moved from Southern California to Washington, my very experienced RN/MSN wife couldn't find a job that paid half as much as what she had been making in California. She ended up just using it as an excuse to retire.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

There are salary studies available on line. Not always exactly what you are looking for. Here is one that shows salary by region a few pages in. It also shows percentage of nurses willing to relocate for work by state. Idaho and Montana are very low. Makes me wonder if the wages and cost of living are best matched in states like that? Just a theory.

http://mediakit.nurse.com/wp-content/up ... Report.pdf
CABob

Post by CABob »

Bob
Uprightnugget

Post by Uprightnugget »

Florida here, Fiance was hired last year with her ASN and completes her BSN this semester. Starting pay at a large hospital was 23 the hour but her hospital has a training period with new nurses that last a year or so which is why the starting pay is low. Within a year she has gone up a couple dollars the hour. Her hospital and others nearby are slammed atm and some have even enacted hiring freezes which are coming back to hurt them. We've also seen pay increase freezes for the next year. Their hospitals have been very busy recently and likely will only get busier with Disney opening back up, Fourth of July, and people spending more time outside without any protection. I just began an accelerated BSN program at a large university here. I will say, a lot of other programs I was considering applying to have postponed their starting dates with one even cancelling their program outright. I was very fortunate that mine was able to start this summer with basically all of it online via zoom. It's going to be an interesting next 3-5 years for nurses and healthcare.
P.S I've heard people hate working for the VA as nurses and that's about all I know regarding VA.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Congrats to the wife for getting the degree!
I am not in the medical profession so don’t have any insight for you but did want to say that for what nurses have to do, coupled with a degree, just my opinion but they deserve better pay.
Topic Author
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:36 pm Have you checked Glassdoor?

Also, look for companies with unions. Many times those pay ranges are easy to discover or may be in the job listings.
Thanks for your reply! I have not checked that out yet but will definitely add it to my "to do" list!

Joe
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

One more to check out:

https://www.salary.com/

Edited to add this site which has lots of career info including salary data:

https://www.onetonline.org/
Topic Author
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:40 pm Government agencies usually post their pay scales publicly. Have you checked the googles?

Beyond that, nursing salaries seem to be really local. When we moved from Southern California to Washington, my very experienced RN/MSN wife couldn't find a job that paid half as much as what she had been making in California. She ended up just using it as an excuse to retire.
Thanks for your reply! Was the MSN a nurse practitioner program? Some of the experienced nurses my wife works with as a PCT are working full-time as nurses while enrolled in online NP programs. They complain that they are writing papers almost every waking hour that they are not working as a nurse. One of the nurses she works with is currently on the weekend evening shift (Friday / Saturday / Sunday) then works the day shift as an NP at clinic Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday so he has almost no time off but loves the different experiences in the two work environments and of course the additional income that working two jobs provides.

COVID-19 has had another impact of accelerating the retirement of some of our most experienced nurses and this is why there has not been a hiring freeze for clinical staff. We are, however, under a current hiring freeze for almost all non-clinical positions.

I hope your wife enjoys her retirement and living in Washington. I have one brother still living in California near Willits and enjoys being away from the big city environment.

Joe
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

Sounds about right for this part of the country. I graduated with my BSN in 2010 and made $20.21 an hour in west TN. An extra $0.30 an hour for having my BSN and $3.50 an hour to work nights. I worked 3-12s for 3 years. Never got much of a raise (I maybe made $21 an hour after leaving). At least where I work wages were very stagnant for nurses after getting hired in. Had a precepting time of about 2-4 weeks before being on your own. I worked in a step down cardiac unit for a year then moved to CCU after that for w years.

After that I went to CRNA school (whole reason I went into nursing in the first place). Love my job and make quit a bit more (although my hours suck tremendously now but that is all job specific).
Topic Author
careerdata

Post by careerdata »

Many thanks for that link! That is a big range in average hourly wages at approximately $10 from highest to lowest! It is interesting that Missouri is towards the lowest end of the range but that may be due in part to the moderate cost-of-living compared to the East and West Coasts.

Joe