Landlord expectations: Rats in the yard

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Landlord expectations: Rats in the yard

Post by cbr shadow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

My wife and i live in a nice suburban area of the Bay Area. We rent a house and have a nice relationship with our landlord. My wife is pregnant with our first and is due in 4.5 months.
I've recently noticed rats in our backyard scurrying through the trees in the early evening. There are fruit trees along our rear fence and I think they're eating the fruit. I think they're nesting at the top of a giant palm tree in the corner of the yard. They let off a squeal every so often in the evening, but just seeing them around is concerning.
Our landlord provides a pest control service which comes once per month to spray for bugs, check mouse traps, etc. Today I called the service and they sent a guy out, but he told me they don't do anything for outdoor pests, including rats, because they're technically considered wildlife and it's a liability thing. He said that I'm most likely right, that the rats nest is on top of the huge palm tree. He said I can buy some Home Depot rat traps with bait, but that this will only lessen the problem rather than getting rid of the rats. His suggestion is to have the landlord remove the tree completely.

Just a few questions:
1) I want the rat problem resolved ASAP, but removing the tree seems extreme. The palm tree is 4' diameter at the base and probably 25' tall and has a 20' canopy. Does his suggestion to have it removed sound extreme?

2) I figured they'd set out some "rat boxes" and catch the mice to get rid of the problem, but the pest control person told me this will only slow them down. Does that sound right? Should I encourage my landlord to put out rat boxes?

3) I have (2) big dogs and I'm nervous about the rat boxes if there's rat poison in there, or if a rat eats the poison and dies behind a bush where my dog can potentially eat the rat and ingest that poison. Reasonable concern?

What's the best solution here? In the end it's up to my landlord to fix the issue i guess, but maybe he can also say "It's wildlife" and leave it at that.

We've seen/heard these rats for the last week or so, but what finally got me to call the pest control was last night when I let my dogs outside and they cornered a rat on our patio. My wife went outside to see what the scuffle was about and the rat tried to run into the house.

Any advice would be appreciated!

TxAg

Re: Landlord expectations: Rats in the yard

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm

Poison and traps are cheap. I'd just take care of it myself.

Maybe get an outdoor cat? A pellet gun would be a fun option.

go140point6

Post by go140point6 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm

i know they are unnerving, but would you call the landlord for other wildlife like skunks or squirrels? Just let them be, if you do convince the landlord to take out the tree, the little buggers are going to look at maybe sub-leasing your attic. Perhaps you can convince the landlord to rat-proof the house so they can't get in (they can squeeze into amazingly small spaces). We have them running around here and the wife hates them, but she really can't stand the possums... those things are scary looking even if they are pretty docile. As long as none of the wildlife gets into the house, I look the other way.

RCL

Post by RCL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Maybe try something like this electronic rat trap? Doesn't use poison, just use some attractant like peanut butter or nuts or ?
I haven't used one yet, but know someone who does and he says it works real well. YMMV
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-M241-Touc ... 346&sr=8-6
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm

RCL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Maybe try something like this electronic rat trap? Doesn't use poison, just use some attractant like peanut butter or nuts or ?
I haven't used one yet, but know someone who does and he says it works real well. YMMV
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-M241-Touc ... 346&sr=8-6
I used one of those in the SF Bay area and after it caught one rat no others would go near it -- I think they could smell the corpse. I cleaned it and cleaned in, but no more electrocuted rats, although there were plenty of them around.

The weather in the area is conducive to rats and they are all over the place. In many ways they occupy the same niche as squirrels -- just think of them as naked-tailed squirrels and you will not be too far wrong. I have seen them climb trees and power poles and scamper along the wires. They love ivy on the ground and will nest in there as well as in trees.

The plain old spring traps work as well as anything else. Tip: drill a hole in the wooden part of the trap and tie it to something solid with string. Sometimes a rat will be injured by the trap and crawl off with it only to expire in some obscure place. I have had good success with salami as bait -- the greasier the better.

I don't think your landlord is any more responsible for rats than he is for songbirds that might land in a tree, or even build a nest somewhere on the property. They are wildlife, just like skunks, possums, and raccoons.

I moved up to rural Oregon from the Bay Area. We have bears. Now there is some wildlife.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 pm

In general, you should have neighbors who you are friends with. At least I discuss rats with my neighbors every once in a while. One my neighbors plinks them, so maybe you have such a friend. No poison needed and you don't even have to do anything yourself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

simas

Post by simas » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:52 pm

cbr shadow wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm
I've recently noticed rats in our backyard scurrying through the trees in the early evening. There are fruit trees along our rear fence and I think they're eating the fruit. I think they're nesting at the top of a giant palm tree in the corner of the yard. They let off a squeal every so often in the evening, but just seeing them around is concerning.
curious about the bolded part, why? would you react the same way about squirrels running up the tree that you saw? what about chipmunks? they are all rodents, and have very similar habits, habitats, 'dirtiness', eat everything attitude in your garden , etc.

I would let this be , they are all wildlife and there isnt anything your landlord will or (imho) should do about wildlife outside. do not let them into your garage or house by leaving food there to eat, and generally do not let them inside. otherwise, ignore.

Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 pm

All good points and suggestions here. It sounds like having the rats in the yard shouldn't be a big concern unless they come into the house. That's unfortunate since my wife is deathly afraid of them, but hopefully my dogs are more successful in the future in catching them. The dogs are Rottweilers, but when the bigger dog had a rat cornered last night he just got excited and nudged it rather than kill it. lol.

There are outdoor cats in my neighborhood, but I think the conditions here are ideal for rats: Mild weather and lots of fruiting trees.

I ordered the electric rat trap that was linked above - hopefully that works well. I'll throw some greasy salami in there.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm

In my area, the county considers rats to be a health hazard and they will put out poison for the rats. Other animals will not eat the poison, it somehow is only appetizing to rats. They take the poison home to their nest and the entire nest is eliminated. The county man checks on the bait and when it is no longer disturbed, he knows it has done its job and he removes the remaining bait. The rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, raccoons, etc. are considered to be "wildlife". Rats are considered to be a pestilence.

Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm

simas wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:52 pm
cbr shadow wrote:
curious about the bolded part, why? would you react the same way about squirrels running up the tree that you saw? what about chipmunks? they are all rodents, and have very similar habits, habitats, 'dirtiness', eat everything attitude in your garden , etc.

I would let this be , they are all wildlife and there isnt anything your landlord will or (imho) should do about wildlife outside. do not let them into your garage or house by leaving food there to eat, and generally do not let them inside. otherwise, ignore.
All fair points. We're not used to rats being around so we freaked out about it. I don't want to be "the house with rats" or seen as the dirty neighbor. It sounds like they're more common and/or less dirty than we thought.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:58 pm

go140point6 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm
i know they are unnerving, but would you call the landlord for other wildlife like skunks or squirrels? Just let them be, if you do convince the landlord to take out the tree, the little buggers are going to look at maybe sub-leasing your attic. Perhaps you can convince the landlord to rat-proof the house so they can't get in (they can squeeze into amazingly small spaces). We have them running around here and the wife hates them, but she really can't stand the possums... those things are scary looking even if they are pretty docile. As long as none of the wildlife gets into the house, I look the other way.
Rattus rattus is endemic to the bay area. The weather suits them and food (they love acorns) is everywhere. You have to control them. A cat is best. I had a neighbor that used night vision and hi-end pellet guns to plink them in his stable, but the problem wasn't solved until he got a cat.

Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:59 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm
In my area, the county considers rats to be a health hazard and they will put out poison for the rats. Other animals will not eat the poison, it somehow is only appetizing to rats. They take the poison home to their nest and the entire nest is eliminated. The county man checks on the bait and when it is no longer disturbed, he knows it has done its job and he removes the remaining bait. The rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, raccoons, etc. are considered to be "wildlife". Rats are considered to be a pestilence.
This goes along with my initial thoughts, and against what some above have stated.

whereskyle

Post by whereskyle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm

cbr shadow wrote:
My wife and i live in a nice suburban area of the Bay Area. We rent a house and have a nice relationship with our landlord. My wife is pregnant with our first and is due in 4.5 months.
Our landlord provides a pest control service which comes once per month to spray for bugs, check mouse traps, etc. Today I called the service and they sent a guy out, but he told me they don't do anything for outdoor pests, including rats, because they're technically considered wildlife and it's a liability thing. He said that I'm most likely right, that the rats nest is on top of the huge palm tree. He said I can buy some Home Depot rat traps with bait, but that this will only lessen the problem rather than getting rid of the rats. His suggestion is to have the landlord remove the tree completely.

Just a few questions:
1) I want the rat problem resolved ASAP, but removing the tree seems extreme. The palm tree is 4' diameter at the base and probably 25' tall and has a 20' canopy. Does his suggestion to have it removed sound extreme?

2) I figured they'd set out some "rat boxes" and catch the mice to get rid of the problem, but the pest control person told me this will only slow them down. Does that sound right? Should I encourage my landlord to put out rat boxes?

3) I have (2) big dogs and I'm nervous about the rat boxes if there's rat poison in there, or if a rat eats the poison and dies behind a bush where my dog can potentially eat the rat and ingest that poison. Reasonable concern?

What's the best solution here? In the end it's up to my landlord to fix the issue i guess, but maybe he can also say "It's wildlife" and leave it at that.

We've seen/heard these rats for the last week or so, but what finally got me to call the pest control was last night when I let my dogs outside and they cornered a rat on our patio. My wife went outside to see what the scuffle was about and the rat tried to run into the house.

Cats work. Mouse infestation in former apartment for months. Tried traps, poisonous bait, even high-frequency noises. Got a cat from a shelter (much to my wife's delight). Cat caught a mouse within the first week. Never saw another one.

I don't expect you'll give up your two dogs to make room
for a cat though
Last edited by whereskyle on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Cat 🐈

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm

cbr shadow wrote:

With the closure of many restaurants, those rats are moving out into the neighborhoods looking for food. They love fruit.

I live several blocks away from a large upscale eating destination in San Jose, and a few weeks ago we started seeing/hearing signs of them and I have spotted some carcasses walking the neighborhood, so somebody is killing some of them.

I suggest you call your local county Vector Control and report them. They will survey a several block area and bait as needed. Putting bait on a single property will not solve it as they move about a lot. If they do get into you house, you need to bait inside to get rid of them quickly.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Rats love suburban areas with lots of vegetation.

You can help yourself a if you pick the fruit, instead of letting it rot on the tree.

I second the idea of calling vector control. One thing vector control often does is look at your house and make sure there are no ways for the rats to get into the house. Rats in the yard is one thing. Rats in the house is another.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Poison.
Plink them.
Multiple traps.

Combined you ought to take out a good chunk of the population. Easier to take them out after the fruit is gone since you’ll have more of their undivided attention.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pm

I had this issue and was very successful using a no-kill trap (peanut butter bait in the cage). This takes patience but it worked for me. After capture, I took them 3-5 miles away and released them in an open field (away from houses).

Havahart brand; top ratings on Amazon. Watch online videos for how to set it.

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-One-Doo ... den&sr=1-1

Make sure you remove ALL food sources around the yard, in the garage, etc.

I also contacted a wildlife professional in my area who recommended this non-toxic product called DeTour for surface areas (I think there is hot pepper in it that rats hate). Restaurants have a lot of success with it. I bought some but didn't need to use it after I relocated several rodents and took away food sources for a period of time. He said they will usually relocate if there is no food source.

DeTour:

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com ... 1001S.html

I have a dog and did not want any poison around. The professional firms I called all use poison (except for the wildlife expert I called). They were also expensive FWIW.

I made sure I used gloves when handling the trap to take and release them. No issues since then.

Edited to add: my vet did not express concern re: infectious diseases (rat to dog). I think most wildlife carry diseases and it doesn't sound like your dogs are interacting with them anyway; plus they are faster than many dogs. I would make sure none of the fruit from the trees gets in your yard. A cat might be a good idea as another BH posted. Also, many people keep rats as pets FWIW.
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 pm

You have big dogs that cornered one?

Do you not see that you already have the solution?

I have to laugh at the suggestion to cut down the tree. So if they scurry down while it's being cut and go up on the roof of the house, what's next? Raise the house?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:34 pm

+1

On contacting your county.

Since you already have dogs getting another dog that is good with catching rats would also be an option.

You can google and find lists like this

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Top-10-Dog- ... ching-Rats

and unsurprisingly Rat Terriers are at the top of the list. :D

You might consider rescue dogs so you can "try out" a dog to make sure that it is a good ratter.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 pm

OP,

I suggest you relax and let them be.... as long as they are not in the home.

FWIW, it is not legal to trap and relocate wildlife (rats included) in California.

WoodSpinner

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 pm
OP,

FWIW, it is not legal to trap and relocate wildlife (rats included) in California.

WoodSpinner
Not rattus rattus ...
"According to Section 116125 of the California Health & Safety code, California citizens aren't just allowed to trap rats and mice, they are encouraged to for health and safety concerns: Legally, our traps fall under the same category as your common snap trap.Mar 21, 2019"

Regattamom

Post by Regattamom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 pm

If you don't get rid of the food source, new rats will just move in once the others have been trapped or poisoned.

nydoc

Post by nydoc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Visit NYC. I will take you to A train from uptown to Howard beach. All fear of rats will be gone. It will only cost you $2.75.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Rat proof your house.

Palm trees house rodents. It is known. The first thing I did when I moved into this current house was remove the palm tree... Wife didn't even notice it was missing.

Get an outdoor cat. They are amazing at reducing wildlife populations... Rats, lizards, birds. Just make sure they don't scratch your pregnant wife... Or tell your OB you have a cat at home.

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 pm

TxAg wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm
Poison and traps are cheap. I'd just take care of it myself.

Maybe get an outdoor cat? A pellet gun would be a fun option.
+1

:sharebeer
VTSAX and chill

investor997

Post by investor997 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Look up "Tomcat rat trap" on Amazon. Buy a couple of those (they're re-usable) and a jar of peanut butter. Done.

Average Investor

Post by Average Investor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 pm

I have rats in my SF yard as well. They are Norwegian tunnel rats, apparently came over on ships in the 1800s. You may have another type, roof rat.

Tried to keep them out but they kept tunneling under whatever obstruction I made. I gave up and don’t worry too much about it.
Tomorrow never knows.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Cooked bacon (and grease) makes an excellent rat bait if you decide to buy some traps.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 pm

TxAg wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm
... Maybe get an outdoor cat? ..
We had a big outdoor tom, and he came home with a big dead rat once. A short time later we had to have him put down because of the infection he got from the rat during the fight.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Post by 999 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 pm

The black plastic “Tom Cat” traps at Home Depot work well. They have a small bait cup that you can spread some peanut butter in for bait.

But you have to at least look up the 5 gal bucket trap (couldn’t use with dogs around).

brandy

Post by brandy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Bucket trap for rodents. https://www.amazon.com/Original-Dunk-Ra ... B07N6R1P74
Buy, or make your own.
Several versions available, relatively easy to make.

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 am

simas wrote:
cbr shadow wrote:

Funny, my spouse and I were just talking about the squirrels in the backyard the other day. Fuzzy and cute (except they stole the flower bulbs :annoyed ) but I said, yeah if there were mice/rats, we'd be looking to kill them. Spouse did point out that things like Prairie dog though often do have Blubonic plaque issues, and deer mice can be carriers for the dreaded Hanta Virus.
I myself don't believe in disinfectants or soaps that kill the natural virus and bacteria in the natural world :sharebeer

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 am

cbr shadow wrote:

Just a few questions:

From experience, You and landlord should Call vector control for a free county survey. Also call 3 step pest control. PM for more.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:43 am

And now for something completely different....

In New Zealand they have developed an automatic device that uses CO2 from a small gas cylinder to drive and retract a rod through the skulls of rats that poke their heads into a non-poison-baited hole. The rat corpses fall away and the trap resets. Optional is an LED counter if the bodies go missing and so is an app for your phone that helps you know when to replace the cartridge and the bait (chocolate flavored, I think) from the comfort of you kitchen. These also allow you to keep score, which allows easy and accurate analysis of investment payback, cost efficiency, and return on investment (rats per dollar per month for example) versus alternative methods. This information can be easily entered into to your financial spreadsheet.

https://goodnature.co/

I use Protecta bait stations with the only California sanctioned rat poison, bromethalin, which is quite mild versus rodenticides available elsewhere. The station protects other animals, that cannot enter them, and children who cannot unlock them. In five years I have seen only one rat corpse. This is the exact method used by professionals in our area. Rats, at first rampant and obvious, are now rarely seen. But the stations are emptied of bait every month. This method is cheap. I'd prefer the New Zealand option, but I was vetoed.

https://www.domyown.com/protecta-lp-rat ... -1458.html
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am

RetiredAL wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm
... I have spotted some carcasses walking the neighborhood, ...
Just great. Zombie rats. Just what the country needs.

simas

Post by simas » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 am

IMO wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 am
simas wrote:
cbr shadow wrote:

Funny, my spouse and I were just talking about the squirrels in the backyard the other day. Fuzzy and cute (except they stole the flower bulbs :annoyed ) but I said, yeah if there were mice/rats, we'd be looking to kill them. Spouse did point out that things like Prairie dog though often do have Blubonic plaque issues, and deer mice can be carriers for the dreaded Hanta Virus.
I myself don't believe in disinfectants or soaps that kill the natural virus and bacteria in the natural world :sharebeer
exactly - we , humans, are conditioned to think of 'squirrels' as cute vs mice/rats as 'dirty', 'dangerous', etc. these are both rodents and both are wild animals (byte digits of your finger off if presented type of wild animals) , just one tails is fuzzier than another.

I think of them all as wildlife that I am ok with having outside, I live in their world as much as they live in mine...

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am

hicabob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 pm
WoodSpinner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 pm
OP,

WoodSpinner
Not rattus rattus ...
"According to Section 116125 of the California Health & Safety code, California citizens aren't just allowed to trap rats and mice, they are encouraged to for health and safety concerns: Legally, our traps fall under the same category as your common snap trap.Mar 21, 2019"

There is a distinction between trap and relocate...

Also there is a distinction between rats which live outside of the home and those that live in it.

Rats have an important place in the eco-system.

WoodSpinner

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 am

Random thoughts:

1. Be careful to call various services at the landlord’s expense without first talking to the landlord. He owns the house.

2. Be aware that, much like 3 inch roaches, and rats in trees, are common in tropical Hawaii, rodents in trees and shrubs around fruit trees might be the nature of where you live. Ask for reasonable solutions but don’t jeopardize your tenancy.

3. Pests inside and around the walls and foundation of your home that are an immediate And/or ongoing threat to health and safety Should to be addressed. Outside of that is a gray area.
Contact your landlord “first” and talk it over.

4. Are there alternate rental locations that do not have rodents yet accept dogs?

There are many Individual experiences and options in these situations.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 am

One more thought.

It might be obvious but some people will put there dogs food outside on the patio. If you are doing that could be part of what is attracting the rats. Likewise if you have birdfeeders birdseed that drops on the ground can also attract them.

Also talk with your neighbors to see if they have any outside food sources like that.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am

Watty wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 am
One more thought.

It might be obvious but some people will put there dogs food outside on the patio. If you are doing that could be part of what is attracting the rats. Likewise if you have birdfeeders birdseed that drops on the ground can also attract them.

Also talk with your neighbors to see if they have any outside food sources like that.
+1
Dog food = rats
Rats = fleas
fleas = itching! :shock: :shock:

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am

cbr shadow wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 pm
All good points and suggestions here. It sounds like having the rats in the yard shouldn't be a big concern unless they come into the house. That's unfortunate since my wife is deathly afraid of them, but hopefully my dogs are more successful in the future in catching them. The dogs are Rottweilers, but when the bigger dog had a rat cornered last night he just got excited and nudged it rather than kill it. lol.

There are outdoor cats in my neighborhood, but I think the conditions here are ideal for rats: Mild weather and lots of fruiting trees.

I ordered the electric rat trap that was linked above - hopefully that works well. I'll throw some greasy salami in there.
I would make it a point to give those cats little food treats whenever you see them in the area of your palm tree. Encourage them to hang around where it does you some good.

I suspect that one of my neighbors has inadvertently done this with the result being that our outside cats have killed more voles in his yard than in ours :oops:

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am

Poison is disgusting, and dangerous to pets and wildlife, especially raptors.

Roof rats, which is what these probably are, are not disgusting but rather cute. Palm trees are notorious as habitat for them. If their numbers soar and need culling, neck-snap traps work nicely.

Outdoor cats kill billions of birds a year, to say nothing of other wildlife. Australia is trying to eradicate them, and we should too. They are an invasive species that native species have little defense against.

scoreboard

Post by scoreboard » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am

Rats live in Palm Trees under the dying palm fronds. It's the dirty secret of wealthy neighborhoods like Beverly Hills where there are lots of palm trees.

I had a Palm Tree with many rats living in it. I would get the dying fronds trimmed periodically and it would help (but the tree trimmer wasn't very happy with all the rats). Eventually I removed the palm tree and no more rats.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:04 pm

I'd suggest a rat terrier instead of a cat since you already have two dogs. I have one and she has a great track record with controlling rodents. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Last year we had rats in our backyard in SoCal. It seems that there was no food up in the mountains, so they came down to our neighborhood which has avocado and citrus trees. In our previous 20 years in the house, we didn't have a rodent problem.

The first thing you need to do is secure your house. Make sure there is no way for them to get into the crawl space under the house, or into the attic. Can you put a collar around the palm tree to make it harder to get up the tree?

We tried "organic" methods to get rid of the rats, but that didn't work. We ended up using bait stations with a peanut butter flavored bait block containing a "first generation" slow-acting anti-coagulent. If you use more toxic "second generation" poisons, it could sicken your dogs if they find a dead or dying rat.

In our case, it took several weeks, but we started to find dead and dying rats. My wife was mortified at the time, but now that the rats have been gone for a year, we are happy. No rat droppings, no rat noises, no beady eyes in the back yard.

Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. This puts things into perspective a bit. Just a few clarifications:
1) I never thought the tree removal was a real option. It's beautiful and probably over 50 years old. I measured the base of the tree and it's 5 ft DIAMETER (not circumference) and the canopy is over 20' wide. It's a rat mansion, apparently!

2) Unfortunately my wife and I are allergic to cats. My dogs actually don't mind cats. On the topic of cats, I see many outdoor cats on my evening walks in our neighborhood, so hopefully they're helping keep the rat population down. I'm sympathetic to the birds though, so I hope all the cats aren't hurting the ecosystem here.

3) After reading all of these comments I'm less freaked out about there being rats around. I always thought that seeing a rat meant you have a big issue. As long as they're not entering the house I'll try not to mind them. I will be trying out the electric trap that I bought though. If that doesn't work I might get a "Have a heart" trap and relocate any caught rats.

Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm

nydoc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Visit NYC. I will take you to A train from uptown to Howard beach. All fear of rats will be gone. It will only cost you $2.75.
This sounds like a real nice trip, but I think I'll pass :-)

sls239

Post by sls239 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Just remember pregnant wife needs to stay away from unfamiliar cats and their feces.

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm

We are southern california renters and have been dealing with rat issues in the backyard cactus which is 30 ft tall! It wasn't really a problem till it got into the garage and eventually into the house through holes in the garage walls (they squeeze through real tight spaces, as someone said). They are also likely under the house, in the crawl space because the landlord did not seal the trap door completely.

Even though rats are outside, the landlord should ensure that any points of entry into your living space be sealed. You should also keep your doors shut as much as possible to avoid letting them in. This is a reasonable request to a landlord.

Of course, the best solution in my opinion would be for the landlord to take down the palm tree. I know it's nice, but if it harbors rats, then the headache is just not worth it. Our landlord is cutting down the cactus from 30' to about a few feet next week. It should significantly improve our peace of mind about leaving doors open for a bit and such.