How to find a short term rental? (moving)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tomwood

How to find a short term rental? (moving)

Post by tomwood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 am

We are selling our home, because we are moving. And because we don’t want to be rushed into making a purchase decision, we are going to rent something small and take our time to find the right home in our new location.

In a limited personal search I’m finding rental properties which want 6 month or longer lease agreements but since we might be moving as soon as we find a new home to purchase, I wouldn’t want anything other than month to month. AirBNB & VRBO appears to be options for a monthly rental, but I don’t imagine they’d let us continue to add one month at time, until we find a home.

Can the BHs offer advice to direct me ?

Sandtrap

Re: How to find a short term rental? (moving)

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:15 am

tomwood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 am
We are selling our home, because we are moving. And because we don’t want to be rushed into making a purchase decision, we are going to rent something small and take our time to find the right home in our new location.

In a limited personal search I’m finding rental properties which want 6 month or longer lease agreements but since we might be moving as soon as we find a new home to purchase, I wouldn’t want anything other than month to month. AirBNB & VRBO appears to be options for a monthly rental, but I don’t imagine they’d let us continue to add one month at time, until we find a home.

Month to month rental units are very hard to find and in short supply because they tend to attract a transient rental clientele that many landlords have trouble with in some way or another. And, many month to month rentals such as extended stay motels may not be a place you would want to stay either.

Suggestions:
Consider commiting to "not rushing and taking your time" as you mention. . .for a 6 months lease.
Talking it over with prospective AirBnB and VRBO owner/units about going month to month. Some may welcome the steady income.
(although you will likely pay far more than a 6 months lease in a regular rental unit even if you broke the lease)
Consider finding a nice place to rent that you won't might staying for a year or more if it came to that. Finding a home that you would like to buy in a new area may take far longer than you think. So, consider it an enjoyable longer transition, maybe even semi permanent.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:22 am

You can also try looking for an executive suite or apartment. These are sort of a cross between a regular apartment and an extended stay hotel. They are typically furnished and have some services like housekeeping, Wi-Fi etc. The ones that I saw when I was in a situation similar to yours seemed to typically be on a quarterly basis. They are/were meant to be attractive to traveling executives who just need a few months in a given city.
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Marmot

Post by Marmot » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:31 am

Tom - I would recommend looking for a local property management property. The property management company we use (we have 5 properties we rent long distance) does exactly that. They do everything but vacation rentals as a business model. So, they actively place anything over 30 days.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 am

I would think a 6 month rental would be the minimum necessary to not "rush" into buying a home in a new place?
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:07 am

It's going to be location specific as different areas have different "seasons".

30 years ago when we were moving across country D.C. to SF Bay Area we were able to do a three month rental in a large apartment complex. But it was winter at the beach and that's a low season even for the longer term rentals. We rented furniture vs messing with getting stuff in and out of moving company storage. DH's company would have paid for a stay at a nice hotel but I hated the idea of having to deal with daily maid service and wanted my privacy.

Today I would look at corporate long term stay (with a kitchen), Airbandb, as well as the apartment with rented furniture. None of this is going to be cheap but better that than rushing into a purchase.

Good luck with your decision.
Every day I can hike is a good day.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 am

tomwood wrote:
Part of the problem is that it would work best to find a place that is furnished, so an extended stay hotel is likely the best choice but you would want to go with an upscale one that is targeted towards business people.

One thing to keep in mind is that while you are between houses you will not have a mortgage payment so that will at least in part offset the cost of a nice place to stay.

I have not stayed at them for more than a week but the Marriott brands of TownPlace and Residence Inn would be worth considering. You could also get a Marriott, or whatever hotel chain you use, credit card for a significant sign up bonus and points for a stay like this.

Be sure to call the front desk directly(not the 800 number) during normal business hours on a weekday and say you are shopping around and ask what their rates would be and if they have any special deals available. Some hotel managers have a lot of ability to cut special deals and the hotel may be almost empty now with the pandemic. For stays longer than 30 days you may not need to pay local hotel taxes so ask about that.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:55 am

This solution won't work for everyone, but when I was in a similar situation, I strongly considered buying a small home that would make a great rental once I moved out. That way, I could stay in the home as long as I needed to and then convert it to a rental once I found and moved into my "real" home.

Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:58 am

We lived for a few years in a rental neighborhood. It was run like an apartment complex, but consisted of all single-family homes. It was great. The quality of the house wasn't as good as a good "normal" rental might be, but it was clean and functional, and once the initial lease elapsed you could continue to rent month-to-month. Maintenance was provided like an apartment complex, i.e., maintenance actually happened in a timely manner, unlikely what I had previously experienced in a "normal" rental house. Since everyone was renting from the same corporate landlord, people tended to actually follow the rules for the most part (one rule was "no outside dogs"). Most importantly, since all the houses were rentals, we never had to worry that the owner might suddenly decide to start showing the house and try to sell it out from under us.

Apparently these are becoming more common:

https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/10/178248 ... ommunities

If you can find one of this type of neighborhood, maybe you could negotiate a higher monthly rent for a shorter than normal lease.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:46 am

Check on Craigslist, and some of the local Face Book sites for the city/area. And yes, locators can help. Extended Stays, too, but you would need to store your belongs.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:04 pm

I imagine with the current state of travel, many Airbnb and vrbo owners would be thrilled to allow you to keep adding one month at a time. Especially since you are looking to buy, you’ll probably always know if you need at least another month in your location, given time to close after a purchase agreement. Those places will have the added benefit of being furnished, so you won’t have to unpack more than the bare necessities.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Kompass wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:22 am
You can also try looking for an executive suite or apartment.
I haven’t considered this. Thank you for the great idea.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Marmot wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:31 am
Tom - I would recommend looking for a local property management
I’ll do this. Thank you for the helpful advice

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Olemiss540 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 am
I would think a 6 month rental would be the minimum necessary to not "rush" into buying a home in a new place?
I was hoping for a 3 month rental with an option to continue monthly after 3 months. Because I’d hate to pay 6 months of rent if we find the right home in the first month of searching. Maybe I’m asking too much

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:07 am

30 years ago when we were moving across country D.C. to SF Bay Area we were able to do a three month rental in a large apartment complex. But it was winter at the beach and that's a low season even for the longer term rentals. We rented furniture vs messing with getting stuff in and out of moving company storage. DH's company would have paid for a stay at a nice hotel but I hated the idea of having to deal with daily maid service and wanted my privacy.

Today I would look at corporate long term stay (with a kitchen), Airbandb, as well as the apartment with rented furniture. None of this is going to be cheap but better that than rushing into a purchase.

I’m not familiar with corporate long term stay, is there a specific website you’d recommend? Or do I just google that term?

I know this will be costly, not cheap, but as it appears you understand, I’m willing to pay a little extra in the short term to make sure we get everything lined up correctly with our long term home/mortgage.

MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 am

BE careful of Craigslist, there are scammers who copy listings from VRBO/ABB and scam guests and there are also apartment scams for longer term rentals, the listings are usually just a little bit too perfect for the price, like $400-500 low for the amenities in Seattle.

If you are going to a place that is very seasonal, a vacation rental home might be open to an off season 4-6 months, but the difference in nightly rent versus monthly rent might make that a challenge.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:30 am

Watty wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 am
tomwood wrote:
Part of the problem is that it would work best to find a place that is furnished, so an extended stay hotel is likely the best choice but you would want to go with an upscale one that is targeted towards business people.

One thing to keep in mind is that while you are between houses you will not have a mortgage payment so that will at least in part offset the cost of a nice place to stay.

I have not stayed at them for more than a week but the Marriott brands of TownPlace and Residence Inn would be worth considering. You could also get a Marriott, or whatever hotel chain you use, credit card for a significant sign up bonus and points for a stay like this.

Be sure to call the front desk directly(not the 800 number) during normal business hours on a weekday and say you are shopping around and ask what their rates would be and if they have any special deals available. Some hotel managers have a lot of ability to cut special deals and the hotel may be almost empty now with the pandemic. For stays longer than 30 days you may not need to pay local hotel taxes so ask about that.
Great advice to have a furnished place and to call the desk directly, I’ll do that. Thank you

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:33 am

When I moved, I used an extended stay hotel. I had them change the sheets and vacuum weekly. They had very basic pots and pans and a tiny kitchen. It wasn't the cleanest place, but it wasn't horrible either. There were complexes locally which would do a 3 month rental, but by the time I rented furniture and so forth it wasn't worth it.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am

ScubaHogg wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:04 pm
I imagine with the current state of travel, many Airbnb and vrbo owners would be thrilled to allow you to keep adding one month at a time. Especially since you are looking to buy, you’ll probably always know if you need at least another month in your location, given time to close after a purchase agreement. Those places will have the added benefit of being furnished, so you won’t have to unpack more than the bare necessities.
Can I work out that arrangement directly with the AirBNB home owner or must I coordinate this arrangement though the website? I imagine this might be an unusual request for the website to handle.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am

tomwood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 pm
Olemiss540 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 am
I was hoping for a 3 month rental with an option to continue monthly after 3 months. Because I’d hate to pay 6 months of rent if we find the right home in the first month of searching. Maybe I’m asking too much
See if you can get a 6 month lease with month to month extension after that. Easy to solve the problem of finding a house too soon if you dont start looking at houses until you have been settled in the rental for 3 months. I know it's hard not to rush to get a "permanent" home but try to find a rental you think your family would enjoy and then get to know the area before house shopping.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 am

tomwood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:27 pm
Carefreeap wrote:

I’m not familiar with corporate long term stay, is there a specific website you’d recommend? Or do I just google that term?

I know this will be costly, not cheap, but as it appears you understand, I’m willing to pay a little extra in the short term to make sure we get everything lined up correctly with our long term home/mortgage.
I just Googled it and a bunch of listings popped up however I live about 10 miles from downtown San Francisco. Just add your new location.
Every day I can hike is a good day.

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 am

Ruprecht wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:58 am
We lived for a few years in a rental neighborhood. It was run like an apartment complex, but consisted of all single-family homes. It was great. The quality of the house wasn't as good as a good "normal" rental might be, but it was clean and functional, and once the initial lease elapsed you could continue to rent month-to-month. Maintenance was provided like an apartment complex, i.e., maintenance actually happened in a timely manner, unlikely what I had previously experienced in a "normal" rental house. Since everyone was renting from the same corporate landlord, people tended to actually follow the rules for the most part (one rule was "no outside dogs"). Most importantly, since all the houses were rentals, we never had to worry that the owner might suddenly decide to start showing the house and try to sell it out from under us.

Apparently these are becoming more common:

https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/10/178248 ... ommunities

If you can find one of this type of neighborhood, maybe you could negotiate a higher monthly rent for a shorter than normal lease.
Good advice. Thanks for the link

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 am
tomwood wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:27 pm
Carefreeap wrote:

I just Googled it and a bunch of listings popped up however I live about 10 miles from downtown San Francisco. Just add your new location.
Thank you

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm

MrsBDG wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 am
BE careful of Craigslist, there are scammers who copy listings from VRBO/ABB and scam guests and there are also apartment scams for longer term rentals, the listings are usually just a little bit too perfect for the price, like $400-500 low for the amenities in Seattle.

If you are going to a place that is very seasonal, a vacation rental home might be open to an off season 4-6 months, but the difference in nightly rent versus monthly rent might make that a challenge.
A good warning. Thank you

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm

tomwood wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
Can I work out that arrangement directly with the AirBNB home owner or must I coordinate this arrangement though the website? I imagine this might be an unusual request for the website to handle.
If it were me I’d arrange the actual rental directly with the owner. You’ll be able to get their contact information through Airbnb.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm
tomwood wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am
ScubaHogg wrote:
If it were me I’d arrange the actual rental directly with the owner. You’ll be able to get their contact information through Airbnb.
That’s what I too was thinking

Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:08 pm

ScubaHogg wrote:
Those places will have the added benefit of being furnished,
I missed this point originally but it’s a really good take