Safest way to send cash through the mail

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Caduceus

Safest way to send cash through the mail

Post by Caduceus »

I need to pay someone in a foreign country for something he will be doing for me. It's not a huge sum of money - just $200 US dollars equivalent, but I'm wondering what's the safest way of sending him the money and if there's anything I'm missing. I was thinking of just placing the money between a thank you card and mailing it with tracking.

I've met the person, so it's not a scam or anything like that. I just need to be able to send money to someone without a bank account. My main concern is I don't trust the postal services over there. If my envelope is opened by the postal office there, there's a good chance they'll just take the money, I think.
neverpanic

Re: Safest way to send cash through the mail

Post by neverpanic »

Send it via Western Union. It'll run you between $5-9 and leave you with zero anxiety.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I have used Western Union frequently for such tasks and more recently, Remitly which is more convenient for me.

With Western Union I'd set up the transfer online, then go to the office and pay in cash. It's cheaper than just going there and filling out the form. The recipient picks the money up at the Western Union office on their end.

With Remitly I just charge to my debit card and complete the transaction entirely online. The first time is free. The second time is $3.99. The recipient picks up the money at one of several pawnshops.

I have had no problems with either service.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

neverpanic wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 am Send it via Western Union. It'll run you between $5-9 and leave you with zero anxiety.
^This. Done this myself and it works without issue.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
dgnative

Post by dgnative »

The wife converts $80 to Euros sends to Brother in Germany "old folks home" social they give up all State and pension income.
We use regular cards and heavy envelopes scotch Tape USPS and funny Round Stamps
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

...or you could use PayPal or another service, for immediate receipt. Sure there are conversion fees, but for the small amount involved and the low hassle quotient I consider it a good option.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I wouldn't send physical cash. Depending on the country, it could be more likely to be searched and stolen (some countries $200 is a lot of money)
Also, the person receiving it could lie about not getting it. Then what do you do? Send another $200?

Something like Venmo, PayPal, Zelle or Western Union would be better.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

If you know the recipient's bank details and they're in a supported country, Transferwise is an easy and low-fee option.
shess

Post by shess »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:25 am I need to pay someone in a foreign country for something he will be doing for me. It's not a huge sum of money - just $200 US dollars equivalent, but I'm wondering what's the safest way of sending him the money and if there's anything I'm missing. I was thinking of just placing the money between a thank you card and mailing it with tracking.

I've met the person, so it's not a scam or anything like that. I just need to be able to send money to someone without a bank account. My main concern is I don't trust the postal services over there. If my envelope is opened by the postal office there, there's a good chance they'll just take the money, I think.
Back before online payments, I received payments for software using postal money orders. It's become more expensive over time ($15), and I think they've been gradually letting the postal agreements lapse, so it's probably not the best option versus a private online system.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Do what you want, but there is no way I would send cash.

I've Paypal'ed money to someone in a foreign country before. Also, I've used Transferwise, but that would require them to go get a bank account.

Why don't you ask the person how they want to get the money? That would make more sense than asking us, I think.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Interesting...I tried to send a buddy of mine about $3k for vehicle in the vegas area one time from a Walmart western union. I guess due to the zip code they barred me from doing so... even after a phone interrogation. The fact that I talk to him several times a week and have known him nearly 20 years (they asked how well I know him) was not good enough since the car was bought sight unseen... 2000miles away so not like I coulda just walked down the block to look before I bought it.
drk

Post by drk »

Use TransferWise
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Western Union. Or Travelers Checks.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
windaar

Post by windaar »

Use PayPal. No bank account needed to receive funds. "Tracking" is useless once the mailpiece Leaves the USA.
Nobody knows nothing.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

To answer the specific question asked

(OP didn't say money he said cash)

Makes me think about what my East European grandparents did to send a photo to relatives in the old country. At that time they couldn't send photos- just letters that were read for content by the inspectors. But they had routinely been sending jars of some sort of drugs that were not available there. They buried the photo among the pills, and it got through.

So my answer to the specific question: find an object not easily available at the destination, secrete the currency within, and mail it.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

TransferWise, no cash