new BoA Premium Card benefit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dodecahedron

new BoA Premium Card benefit

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Any other cardholders get this offer in email?
A special $50 statement credit offer

Day-to-day life may be a little different right now, so we’re giving you a new way to make the most of your Premium Rewards® card. You’re now eligible to receive up to $50 as a statement credit on any combination of these qualifying purchases:

Grocery store. Dining. Takeout.

Simply use your card for qualifying purchases now through December 31, 2020, and your statement credit will equal the amount you spend—up to $50.
As other cardholders know, this card has a $95 annual fee, but that can be entirely offset by the annual $100 ¨airline incidentals¨ statement credit. (Not to mention that they also gave me a $500 initial cash signup bonus.)

(I used my airline incidental credits to acquire American Airlines gift cards in 2019 and 2020, which I then redeemed at face value for a trip I was planning to make. Of course, I ultimately wound up canceling the trip, but at least I lost $200 less than I would have lost without the statement credit.)

Since I am not planning any travel for the indefinite future, I had been mulling over whether to renew the card on its anniversary (in September, I believe.) The airline incidental credit no longer seems very attractive. (And yes I know there is a secondary market for gift cards, but imagine that may have dried up somewhat in the pandemic and never liked the idea of selling gift cards anyway.)

So, bottom line this surprise bonus $50 credit (which I will redeem in full the next time I buy groceries) is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling towards keeping the card one more year (and hoping that I can use the 2021 airline incidentals before 12/31/2021.) I do like getting 2.625% cash back on everything I use a card for. It is my fallback for anything that does not qualify for 5.25% on my two BoA cash rewards category cards or a Discover quarterly category card.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aristotelian

Re: new BoA Premium Card benefit

Post by aristotelian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:28 pm

I got this as well. Definitely makes keeping the card more compelling. Of course that is what they want us to think.

hoffse

Post by hoffse » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:37 pm

I got this as well!

I’m working on cleaning out my UR points with grocery purchases for the next few months, but this credit will be useful in the fourth quarter.

I became a BOA rewards convert earlier this year. It was a pain in the butt to get it all set up, but now that it’s done I’m loving the higher cash back tier (especially on large purchases like federal income taxes, which are coming up...).
Last edited by hoffse on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Slightly offtopic - I received this today for my Travel Rewards card:
Day-to-day life may be a little different right now, so we’re giving you a new way to make the most of your Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card. Now through December 31, 2020, in addition to travel-related purchases, you can redeem points for a statement credit for these qualifying purchases made within the last 12 months:

Makes sense, since with reduced travel, any travel-related benefits are diminished in value.
Last edited by Hyperchicken on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:46 pm

I got the offer but my wife didn’t. We have separate accounts. I don’t use this card often but my wife uses hers regularly. I was planning to close my account and we were going to keep my wife’s account open (I’m an authorized user on hers as well). We initially opened separate accounts for the bonus but the 2.625% back on everything is nice as well. We only need one account, though. Perhaps they have an algorithm that helped them see what we were planning based on our account activity. I was hoping this offer was for everyone and they just hadn’t gotten around to contacting my wife yet.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Got it today as well. We just received the welcome bonus on our statement too, and will use the global entry benefit as soon as that's practical. Gotta say it's a great deal for $95.

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

I got the email today. It was a nice surprise.

Even though I get 5.25% on most purchases through the BoA Cash Rewards Cards (thereby making the 3.5% travel and restaurant benefits of this card impotent), I continue to keep it in my pocket because:
* 2.625% on everything else (docs, property tax, etc) is great
* The $95 fee is roughly offset by the $100 travel credit (which I use to purchase $100 of AA egift cards annually then dump on Raise.com for $85 or so).
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:01 pm

I got the email this morning, went grocery shopping later, and promptly pulled out my cash rewards card to pay the $57 tab. When I got back in the truck and checked my email, I about slapped myself 😂

Oh well, always next week.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:52 pm

I canceled the Premium Rewards card just yesterday and asked for refund of the annual fee that posted on June statement :(
Bad timing. I would have milked the offer and THEN canceled the card ..

Dain

Post by Dain » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm

How are you using the travel credit to purchase gift cards? I checked and the agreement says :
Airline ticket purchases, mileage point purchases, mileage point transfer fees, gift cards, duty-free purchases, award tickets and fees incurred with airline alliance partners do not qualify.
Maybe this is new language?

purpleKatz

Post by purpleKatz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:52 pm

I got this too!
I've actually never really used the airline incidental credit but I keep the card so I can pay my federal, state and property taxes, medical bills and insurance. I don't get cash back credit on those items from my other credit cards.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Dain wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm
How are you using the travel credit to purchase gift cards? I checked and the agreement says :
Airline ticket purchases, mileage point purchases, mileage point transfer fees, gift cards, duty-free purchases, award tickets and fees incurred with airline alliance partners do not qualify.
Gift cards are explicitly excluded in a lot of these types of travel credits, however historically some have worked probably because of the way they are coded. They are catching more and more over time though. I wouldn't rely on being able to buy gift cards forever to redeem the travel credits.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm

Nope, no email or snail mail offer for me. I use this card all the time - it’s become our general purpose card. Maybe no need to incentivize me with the offer? I did read this is a targeted offer. :annoyed
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Dain wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm
Not new language, but for whatever reason, American Airlines gift card purchases have historically coded in such a way as to qualify for the statement credit. For me, this was true as recently as January 2020.

No guarantees that it will still work in 2021.

Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Hyperchicken wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm
Day-to-day life may be a little different right now, so we’re giving you a new way to make the most of your Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card. Now through December 31, 2020, in addition to travel-related purchases, you can redeem points for a statement credit for these qualifying purchases made within the last 12 months:

Makes sense, since with reduced travel, any travel-reduced benefits are diminished in value.
Very interesting. I also have a Travel Rewards card (though I have not used it since I got the BoA Premium Rewards card, which dominates it.) I did not get the email you got about the Travel Rewards card.

I suspect their algorithm has determined that I am not worth cultivating as a future Travel Rewards card user. I have no reason to take advantage of this offer since I can get straight cash 2.625% on my Premium Rewards card and don´t have to mess around with their convoluted travel statement credits or the expanded version.

At some point they may cancel my Travel Rewards card for lack of use. The only reason I have bothered keeping it is the possibility that I might eventually find the Premium Rewards card not worth continuing to pay $95/year annual fee for, in which case I would dump it and revert to using the Travel Rewards card again.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Even though I get 5.25% on most purchases through the BoA Cash Rewards Cards (thereby making the 3.5% travel and restaurant benefits of this card impotent), I continue to keep it in my pocket because:
* The $95 fee is roughly offset by the $100 travel credit (which I use to purchase $100 of AA egift cards annually then dump on Raise.com for $85 or so).
Yeah, same here.

I've actually got 3 of the Cash Rewards cards to create $7,500/quarter of 5.25% space. A lot of quarters I actually max it or get close. Couldn't be happier.

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:56 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:45 pm
FrugalProfessor wrote:

Yeah, same here.

I've actually got 3 of the Cash Rewards cards to create $7,500/quarter of 5.25% space. A lot of quarters I actually max it or get close. Couldn't be happier.
Between my wife and I we have five cards opening the door for 12.5k/quarter of 5.25%, which is far above our spending level most quarters. Recently we've been doing the raise.com + Ebates thing for added savings. I get about 8.25% at Walmart as a result:
https://frugalprofessor.com/boa-raise-c ... g-savings/
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
i had not thought of selling it, that is a great idea. Especially since I don't expect to be using the incidental credit this year.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:25 am

I got the same offer. I rarely use the card, but I keep it around for the 2.625% on general purchases. I primarily use a BoA cash back card for online purchases, or an Amex card for groceries.

I actually ignored the email and wrote it off as spam (until I saw this thread). But if it’s legit, I guess there’s no harm in switching to my BoA premium card the next time I go grocery shopping and pocketing the $50.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 am

whodidntante wrote:
FrugalProfessor wrote:

Yeah, same here.

How do you get so many? Do you just apply for them or do you need to do product conversions? Just curious because $2,500 quarterly limit is not enough for us either.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:28 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 am
whodidntante wrote:
FrugalProfessor wrote:

Yeah, same here.

How do you get so many? Do you just apply for them or do you need to do product conversions? Just curious because $2,500 quarterly limit is not enough for us either.
This is clearly OT so I'll PM you.

rgzeta

Post by rgzeta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Hyperchicken wrote:

Makes sense, since with reduced travel, any travel-reduced benefits are diminished in value.
Very interesting. I also have a Travel Rewards card (though I have not used it since I got the BoA Premium Rewards card, which dominates it.) I did not get the email you got about the Travel Rewards card.

I suspect their algorithm has determined that I am not worth cultivating as a future Travel Rewards card user. I have no reason to take advantage of this offer since I can get straight cash 2.625% on my Premium Rewards card and don´t have to mess around with their convoluted travel statement credits or the expanded version.

At some point they may cancel my Travel Rewards card for lack of use. The only reason I have bothered keeping it is the possibility that I might eventually find the Premium Rewards card not worth continuing to pay $95/year annual fee for, in which case I would dump it and revert to using the Travel Rewards card again.
I have both the Travel and Premium Rewards cards, but I strangely got only the TR redemption options, and not the PR $50 credit, which has left me feeling somewhat miffed. The redemption options on the Travel Rewards are useless since I can transfer the points to the Premium Rewards and have unrestricted redemption...

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:29 pm

rgzeta wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 pm
I have both the Travel and Premium Rewards cards, but I strangely got only the TR redemption options, and not the PR $50 credit, which has left me feeling somewhat miffed. The redemption options on the Travel Rewards are useless since I can transfer the points to the Premium Rewards and have unrestricted redemption...
I'd be surprised if they only changed the PR card for some people. It's certainly easy enough to try, just charge a few dollars at a grocery store and see if it gets credited back automatically.

Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:32 pm

rgzeta wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Hyperchicken wrote:

Excellent point, which I had not previously thought of. I basically stopped using my TR card after I opened the PR account, since for someone who holds both cards TR is generally dominated (at least weakly and sometimes strongly) by PR. However, every now I accidentally rack up a recurring charge (e.g., annual renewal) on my TR card. The dominant strategy is just to transfer those accidentally accrued TR points to my PR card for unrestricted redemption and that is precisely what I do when that occasionally happens.

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:56 pm

Did anyone successfully have the $50 applied to their statement?

I got the email offer on 6/23, we spent $50 on groceries on 6/24, statement closed on 7/4 but I don't see any indication of a credit on the statement.

I'm sure it'll eventually come, but I was surprised that it didn't hit the statement closing on 7/4.

For way of information, a blog reader reported this morning that using Kroger Pay App counts as online shopping (5.25% on the cash rewards card), so that's pretty slick if you shop there: https://frugalprofessor.com/an-audit-of ... mment-1274

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 pm

dodecahedron wrote:

FYI, I never received an e-mail for the Travel Rewards card. Instead I noticed a pop-up when I logged into the account stating that grocery had been added as a category.

invstar

Post by invstar » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 am

I just read the email again and looks like this offer is available for every month/statement period. Does it mean we can get $50 per every statement?

khram

Post by khram » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm

I wouldn't keep the card if you need to use rewards on travel. I've moved all spending off my AA card. Thanks for the reminder actually, my 1-year anniversary with that card is coming up (no fee first year), I still need to call to downgrade to the no-fee card with lesser rewards. No point in delaying considering I'm not using the card anymore.

I also got an email from AA yesterday basically telling us to go travel this summer, almost recklessly. I get they have a business to run, but I found the messaging a little disturbing given the state of affairs in the US the past couple months.

earflop

Post by earflop » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm
Nope, no email or snail mail offer for me. I use this card all the time - it’s become our general purpose card. Maybe no need to incentivize me with the offer? I did read this is a targeted offer. :annoyed
Speculation is that the offer will work for everyone and is not targeted.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... purchases/

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 pm

invstar wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 am
I just read the email again and looks like this offer is available for every month/statement period. Does it mean we can get $50 per every statement?
Based on what? Mine explicitly says "Limit one (1) statement credit per account."

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:14 pm

earflop wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm
Speculation is that the offer will work for everyone and is not targeted.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-of- ... purchases/
That’s good to hear. Guess we will find out in 14 weeks. Wonder why so long to issue the credit. Seems silly.

invstar

Post by invstar » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:19 pm

I think I mis-understood it as one credit per statement. Thank you.

Limit one (1) statement credit per account.
dukeblue219 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:47 pm
invstar wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:36 am
Based on what? Mine explicitly says "Limit one (1) statement credit per account."

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am

Has anyone had the credit come off their card yet? My statement has not closed, but I did spend the $50, but so far it has not triggered on my card. Perhaps it is taken off each statement. $50/month in credits sound too good to be true, but maybe it is?

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 pm

As mentioned up thread, it's only one $50 credit and paid out 14 weeks after spending.

Jim Baround

Post by Jim Baround » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:25 am

Approved yesterday, received the card today with the $50 flyer in it.

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:34 am

I got this pop-up again when I logged into my bank account this morning. I never received the credit from the first round of $50. Are they doing it again or is this just a mistake?

tj

Post by tj » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am

atdharris wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:34 am
I got this pop-up again when I logged into my bank account this morning. I never received the credit from the first round of $50. Are they doing it again or is this just a mistake?
What do you mean first round? I saw the pop up for the first time today. It says the credit will post in 14 weeks.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 am

atdharris wrote:
I'm sure it's just an on-going thing that they're advertising. I don't think anyone has received the credit since they say 14 weeks.

The TSA precheck credit, however, posted in like two days which was awesome!

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:35 am

tj wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am
atdharris wrote:
What do you mean first round? I saw the pop up for the first time today. It says the credit will post in 14 weeks.
I meant, I saw the popup last month and spent the $50 on groceries/dining. Then it popped up again today. It's probably just a one time thing, as you said. Just was odd it popped up again but BofA doesn't seem as quick to post credits like this as other banks.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Too bad the fine print says we have to wait up to 14 weeks.

Amex's credits are much quicker; usually within 24-48 hours of making the purchase.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 am

My $50 credit posted yesterday. Sweet.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 am
Nothing here yet. I made the groceries purchases on 7/6 and 7/8. Judging by the start of this promo being on 6/23, perhaps it's a four week wait for the credit to show up if you made the purchases on the same day as the promo start. I guess I'll find out on 8/8.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:07 am

stilllurking wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 am
dukeblue219 wrote:
Nothing here yet. I made the groceries purchases on 7/6 and 7/8. Judging by the start of this promo being on 6/23, perhaps it's a four week wait for the credit to show up if you made the purchases on the same day as the promo start. I guess I'll find out on 8/8.
So I stand corrected. I received my credit this morning.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 am

Mine posted today.

tj

Post by tj » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 am

Mine hasn't posted. My purchases were between 7/18 and 7/23

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:54 am

My $50 credit posted yesterday.

Topic Author
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:03 am

stilllurking wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:07 am
stilllurking wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 am
dukeblue219 wrote:
So I stand corrected. I received my credit this morning.
I bought $51.38 in groceries at Trader Joes on 7/9, posted on 7/10. Statement cycle closed 7/23.

No sign of a credit yet.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Got my credit on July 23rd 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:12 pm

atdharris wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:35 am
tj wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am
atdharris wrote:
I meant, I saw the popup last month and spent the $50 on groceries/dining. Then it popped up again today. It's probably just a one time thing, as you said. Just was odd it popped up again but BofA doesn't seem as quick to post credits like this as other banks.

In my case, I was notified first by e-mail. But I got the popup yesterday. I'm expecting to get one $50 statement credit, but I will gladly accept $100 instead. :happy

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:29 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:12 pm

In my case, I was notified first by e-mail. But I got the popup yesterday. I'm expecting to get one $50 statement credit, but I will gladly accept $100 instead. :happy
Speaking of double-dipping... :D ...I just purchased a $100 American Airline gift certificate with my B of A Premium card and sure enough it was credited back as an airline "incidental"...had I known this earlier, I would have bought another one last year. I hear you could get two credits with one annual credit card fee ($95). This is also applies to the TSA credit which I have never used before...I am happy with this card :moneybag