Signature strip on credit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
student

Signature strip on credit card

Post by student »

I am aware that VISA no longer requires signature for purchases since 2018. https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/cre ... index.html However, almost all merchants still ask for signatures. Recently, I receive a new card from Capital One. It actually does not have a signature strip and it does not have the usually statement that authorized signature is required.

Also, the card has a key symbol like the one given here https://www.reddit.com/r/chipcards/comm ... _one_card/ I have no idea what this means. Anybody knows?
ScubaHogg

Re: Signature strip on credit card

Post by ScubaHogg »

student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am I am aware that VISA no longer requires signature for purchases since 2018. https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/cre ... index.html However, almost all merchants still ask for signatures.
Really? I don’t think a single card of mine has a signature on it. Maybe once in my life has a merchant actually demanded it. Anymore I rarely even hand it over, as most stores have a self serve credit card machine.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:59 am
student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am I am aware that VISA no longer requires signature for purchases since 2018. https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/cre ... index.html However, almost all merchants still ask for signatures.
Really? I don’t think a single card of mine has a signature on it. Maybe once in my life has a merchant actually demanded it. Anymore I rarely even hand it over, as most stores have a self serve credit card machine.
I should have been more precise and specify that I am referring to the situation when there is a sales clerk at a physical store such as Kohl's.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

That's interesting. I've got over 2 dozen cards and every one of them has a signature strip on it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:33 am
That's interesting. I've got over 2 dozen cards and every one of them has a signature strip on it.
Oh they have strips. I've just never bothered to sign them. It's never been an issue.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:44 am
Oh they have strips. I've just never bothered to sign them. It's never been an issue.
There is very little checking of the signature in the US, but it’s different in other countries. For example in Europe, where the vast majority of customers use chip+pin cards and don’t sign anything, my signature on the back of the card usually gets compared to the one on the merchant receipt slip.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I've never tried it but heard you can sign your receipts as Thomas Jefferson and it will go through. Just a relic from a previous time but some people like the idea of signing for a purchase.

One time I refused to sign for a purchase that had already gone through but there was nothing the clerk could do because the purchase is made even before the signature.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Since COVID, I've only been asked for a signature once, and only one merchant has even touched my card.

Before COVID, I usually just drew a thematically appropriate picture on the little screen (picture of a cat at the vet's office, bag of groceries at Trader Joe's, etc). If they even noticed, they just laughed.

I think the last time I signed the back of my card was over a decade ago. Nobody seems to care.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 am I think the last time I signed the back of my card was over a decade ago. Nobody seems to care.
Signatures on the back of credit cards are relics of an earlier time (the 1990s and before).
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Unless you are overseas. I have had to show my passport many times. Even had to sign my card once. Now that is stupid.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

jello_nailer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 am Unless you are overseas. I have had to show my passport many times. Even had to sign my card once. Now that is stupid.
That happened to me as well. I never signed, and a gas station refused a card because it was not signed.

I signed it in front of him, and that was OK. Clearly, that was never the intent of having a signature on the card,
It didn't make any sense, but it satisfied the clerk.

Sometimes logic takes a back seat to the practical.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

It has been awhile but I have been asked to show photo ID at least half a dozen times because my credit card was not signed.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I sign them, then it wears off, then I sign it again. Usually.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Unless someone grabs your cards and signs them with their looking-signature in which case they can have a field day in Europe (where US Card Signatures are usually checked since we, unlike Europeans, don't require PINs to use them). I know - very unlikely but I would at least write something such as "See ID" in the signature panel if you don't want to sign them - only takes a second.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I haven't signed a credit card in many years, and while cashiers sometimes check ID, I cannot recall the last time the cashier actually checked the signature. It would only make sense on signature transactions, and those are becoming pretty rare, at least at grocery stores and the like.

Others seem to have had a different experience, but on two trips to Europe (multiple countries) over the past 3 years, I don't recall the cashiers ever checking for a signature on the cards (mine certainly didn't have one; NFC payment is widely supported in the countries where I traveled, so much the time the cashier didn't even touch my card).
Last edited by 02nz on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

aristotelian wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 am I've never tried it but heard you can sign your receipts as Thomas Jefferson and it will go through. Just a relic from a previous time but some people like the idea of signing for a purchase.

One time I refused to sign for a purchase that had already gone through but there was nothing the clerk could do because the purchase is made even before the signature.
I've written, instead of my signature, in caps, "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".
It is just "charming" to watch the clerks turn the card over "AS IF" they are checking the signature, and then continuing on with the process without missing a beat.

One of the few times I was actually asked for photo ID was at the checkout of a parking garage, for something like $9. Because I was so used to not being asked, I didn't have my DL ready, and thus caused a delay for others behind me in line. ("Sorry, folks!")

As for "the purchase is already made" before they check, they CAN withhold the card and call the issuing vendor for directions if the signature doesn't match.
I can't really imagine that happening these days, unless maybe for a huge purchase (?).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
inmymind

Post by inmymind »

I do not sign, instead write "Check ID" on the signature line. This was a recommendation years ago as a signature can be easily forged on a written receipt and the electronic ones even more so.

Most state driver licenses have your signature, so the photo ID is an added layer of security. However, most of the time, they never ask at places like restaurants where you're handing the card off. It's rare these days that you even have to hand the card off to anyone. Bottom-line; I don't think it matters. At some point, I hope that all cards go the route of having photo ID on it and a PIN.
Esse quam videri
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 am
Unless someone grabs your cards and signs them with their looking-signature in which case they can have a field day in Europe (where US Card Signatures are usually checked since we, unlike Europeans, don't require PINs to use them). I know - very unlikely but I would at least write something such as "See ID" in the signature panel if you don't want to sign them - only takes a second.
I’m in Europe 8-10 times a year. I’ve never had someone check my signature there either.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:52 am

I’m in Europe 8-10 times a year. I’ve never had someone check my signature there either.
Additionally I don’t really care that much if someone steals my card and uses it. The bank will make me whole. That’s why they have their amazingly good fraud detection algorithms.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

inmymind wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 am I do not sign, instead write "Check ID" on the signature line. This was a recommendation years ago as a signature can be easily forged on a written receipt and the electronic ones even more so.

Most state driver licenses have your signature, so the photo ID is an added layer of security. However, most of the time, they never ask at places like restaurants where you're handing the card off. It's rare these days that you even have to hand the card off to anyone. Bottom-line; I don't think it matters. At some point, I hope that all cards go the route of having photo ID on it and a PIN.
Although I mentioned this myself above to someone who seems to take pride in having unsigned cards, officially it invalidates the card (so the merchant could simply refuse to accept the card since you didn't sign it). At least this was the case a couple of years ago when I looked into it.
If you google it you will see articles on this:
https://smartasset.com/credit-cards/sho ... redit-card

I used to do this with all my cards until a store clerk told me they weren't supposed to accept the card since it wasn't signed.
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am
I've written, instead of my signature, in caps, "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".
inmymind

Post by inmymind »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 am
inmymind wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 am I do not sign, instead write "Check ID" on the signature line. This was a recommendation years ago as a signature can be easily forged on a written receipt and the electronic ones even more so.

Although I mentioned this myself above to someone who seems to take pride in having unsigned cards, officially it invalidates the card (so the merchant could simply refuse to accept the card since you didn't sign it). At least this was the case a couple of years ago when I looked into it.

I used to do this with all my cards until a store clerk told me they weren't supposed to accept the card since it wasn't signed.
Interesting. I've been doing it for at least a decade and never had an issue.
Esse quam videri
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:54 am

Additionally I don’t really care that much if someone steals my card and uses it. The bank will make me whole. That’s why they have their amazingly good fraud detection algorithms.
I've had my signature checked in Europe many times in many countries (others above mention same experience) but in any case, it really only does take a second to sign your card and make it valid - not sure what the protest is about.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

inmymind wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 am

Interesting. I've been doing it for at least a decade and never had an issue.
Here's VISA's document stating not to accept your cards :)
https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/su ... chants.pdf

Under unsigned cards it states:
"An unsigned card is considered invalid and should not be accepted."

Under "See ID" it states:
"Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking that this is a deterrent
against fraud or forgery .... In this situation, follow recommended steps listed above under Unsigned Cards."
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:00 pm

I've had my signature checked in Europe many times in many countries (others above mention same experience) but in any case, it really only does take a second to sign your card and make it valid - not sure what the protest is about.
Not really a protest. The OP said his new card didn’t have a signature block and was concerned merchants would ask for it. I’m providing data points that, at least in my experience, that almost never happens.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

It's not at all about the time it takes to sign a card. That is, indeed, trivial.

It is about trying to avoid having someone else use the card and the clerk NOT noticing or - also likely - noticing by not having the nerve/whatever to challenge someone: "Um, this signature doesn't look right". Customer gets indignant, upsets other customers, and then walks out without purchase (since obviously they wouldn't want a supervisor called instead, someone who might actually start checking...).

I started doing this ("PHOTO ID REQUIRED") back in the 1960's, after my first MIL suggested it.
Actually, "back in the day", sales people usually *did* ask to see the ID. I don't know if they were any more careful about any "matching", however.
But that practice pretty much bit the dust some time ago.

As for an unsigned card with "PHOTO IDE REQUIRED" not being accepted due to not having a signature, that happened exactly once. So I signed the card next to the "ID" part, and carried on, and, yes, the clerk actually accepted that. :oops:
Without checking that "I" was really "me", etc. THAT would have been a time to ask for signature/photo ID!

RM
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 pm

It's not at all about the time it takes to sign a card. That is, indeed, trivial.

It is about trying to avoid having someone else use the card and the clerk NOT noticing or - also likely - noticing by not having the nerve/whatever to challenge someone: "Um, this signature doesn't look right". Customer gets indignant, upsets other customers, and then walks out without purchase (since obviously they wouldn't want a supervisor called instead, someone who might actually start checking...).

I started doing this ("PHOTO ID REQUIRED") back in the 1960's, after my first MIL suggested it.
Actually, "back in the day", sales people usually *did* ask to see the ID. I don't know if they were any more careful about any "matching", however.
But that practice pretty much bit the dust some time ago.

As for an unsigned card with "PHOTO IDE REQUIRED" not being accepted due to not having a signature, that happened exactly once. So I signed the card next to the "ID" part, and carried on, and, yes, the clerk actually accepted that. :oops:
Without checking that "I" was really "me", etc. THAT would have been a time to ask for signature/photo ID!

RM
As I stated above - I used to write "See ID" on all my cards until it I was told it actually shouldn't be accepted unless it is signed (true for both VISA and Mastercard; not sure of others).
As far as leaving it blank - I am not sure why you would want to do that. Technically the card's that have signature blocks aren't valid unless signed. I don't think it breaks the limited-liability laws (or zero liability policy) but I wouldn't want to be the test case for it. I once had to dispute a rather large bill on a cruise ship that wasn't me - it would have been a lot more hassle if my card hadn't been signed (and to this day I wonder if the card hadn't been signed - if I would have been held liable).
Here's VISA's document telling merchant's not to accept your cards: Here's VISA's document stating not to accept your cards:
https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/su ... chants.pdf
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am I am aware that VISA no longer requires signature for purchases since 2018. https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/cre ... index.html However, almost all merchants still ask for signatures. Recently, I receive a new card from Capital One. It actually does not have a signature strip and it does not have the usually statement that authorized signature is required.

Also, the card has a key symbol like the one given here https://www.reddit.com/r/chipcards/comm ... _one_card/ I have no idea what this means. Anybody knows?
Does this card still have a magnetic strip? Or only proximity and chip technologies?
increment

Post by increment »

For a while, the issuers were saying that the signature was not meant for comparison, but was intended to indicate your consent to the terms of the card. (I don't know whether anyone still holds that position.)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

increment wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm For a while, the issuers were saying that the signature was not meant for comparison, but was intended to indicate your consent to the terms of the card. (I don't know whether anyone still holds that position.)
Is/was this like when the Social Security cards had printed on them something to the effect of "Not to be used for identification purposes"?

:annoyed

RM
22twain

Post by 22twain »

student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am Recently, I receive a new card from Capital One. It actually does not have a signature strip
Neither does the Apple Card, the physical titanium card. It has only a magnetic swipe strip on the back, and your name and a chip on the front.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm
student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am I am aware that VISA no longer requires signature for purchases since 2018. https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/cre ... index.html However, almost all merchants still ask for signatures. Recently, I receive a new card from Capital One. It actually does not have a signature strip and it does not have the usually statement that authorized signature is required.

Does this card still have a magnetic strip? Or only proximity and chip technologies?
It still has a magnetic strip.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Okay. I am guessing they simply removed the signature since for most transactions it is no longer required. I was wondering if some cards are starting to remove the mag-strip too in order to force use of only chip or proximity (at one point I thought I read signature was still required if the chip is NOT used and transaction was over a certain amount - I do know initially they were trying to make stores liable if they didn't have chip-capable readers in place). I was curious about the "KEY" symbol too - after some googling which I am sure you already did - it seems only answers are the ones you already got on reddit which are just guesses (maybe means you can lock via App - although I can do that with my cards anyway that don't have key; or it opens door to a CapOne bank annex) - would be interested to understand if that symbol has some meaning beyond CapOne but since it is hard to find reference to - I would guess it only has meaning to CapOne (if it were me - I would be curious enough to call them and ask them). Maybe the symbol just means it has a chip (but again, all cards do now). Capital One does call the "Lock the card temporarily" feature "Capital One Lock" so maybe that is all the key indicates: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... ategically
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 pm
student wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Okay. I am guessing they simply removed the signature since for most transactions it is no longer required. I was wondering if some cards are starting to remove the mag-strip too in order to force use of only chip or proximity (at one point I thought I read signature was still required if the chip is NOT used and transaction was over a certain amount - I do know initially they were trying to make stores liable if they didn't have chip-capable readers in place). I was curious about the "KEY" symbol too - after some googling which I am sure you already did - it seems only answers are the ones you already got on reddit which are just guesses (maybe means you can lock via App - although I can do that with my cards anyway that don't have key; or it opens door to a CapOne bank annex) - would be interested to understand if that symbol has some meaning beyond CapOne but since it is hard to find reference to - I would guess it only has meaning to CapOne (if it were me - I would be curious enough to call them and ask them). Maybe the symbol just means it has a chip (but again, all cards do now). Capital One does call the "Lock the card temporarily" feature "Capital One Lock" so maybe that is all the key indicates: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/cred ... ategically
I called Capital One. The person I talked to did not know the symbol.
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

All my cards have signature strips and I always sign them. Well, I try to.

They are so narrow (vertically) that my name never fits.

And they are made of some slick material that does not accept ink. The signature wears off as soon as I
put it into my wallet. I hate poor engineering . . .
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

In Europe the cash registers will actually prompt the cashier to compare signatures. If you are in a tourist savvy area that see a lot of American credit cards they seem to ignore it. But out in the country some people take it deadly serious, carefully inspecting both the card and the signature slip. I have occasionally even had my purchase rejected because the attendant wasn't sufficiently satisfied my signatures matched.

I have one of those Capital One cards without the signature line. I went ahead and signed the back with my ultra-fine Sharpie anyway.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I am 34. I have never bothered to sign a CC in my life, nor has a cashier ever looked. The vast majority of stores have contact less payment now or the pinpads so the clerk doesn't see the card anyway.

It doesn't seem to serve much purpose to me.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I returned from a shopping trip in March sanitized my CC now no signature strip. :oops:
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I signed all of my receipts "gorilla" for years, YEARS, and no one said a word. It wasn't until I bought a low alcohol beer at a sauna in Helsinki that an issue arose.

Just in case you're concerned, I did get my sauna beer. I had him laughing about my social experiment.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Just a heads up, the post office (USPS) will not accept a debit or credit card that is not signed, they will also not accept one that says "see ID". This has caused a lot of issues for people at the counter while I was waiting in line...

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-Cre ... ure-Policy
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
sport

Post by sport »

My Costco credit card has my photograph on the back. That's much better identification than any signature.
sport

Post by sport »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm
increment wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm For a while, the issuers were saying that the signature was not meant for comparison, but was intended to indicate your consent to the terms of the card. (I don't know whether anyone still holds that position.)
Is/was this like when the Social Security cards had printed on them something to the effect of "Not to be used for identification purposes"?

:annoyed

RM
My SS card has that imprint. I wonder how that ever got changed. :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed
bberris

Post by bberris »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:07 am
There is very little checking of the signature in the US, but it’s different in other countries. For example in Europe, where the vast majority of customers use chip+pin cards and don’t sign anything, my signature on the back of the card usually gets compared to the one on the merchant receipt slip.
Really? They've never looked at mine. The purpose of the signature is not to verify your identity but rather to provide evidence to the bank that you actually made the purchase if you dispute the charge. Same with a pin.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bberris wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:27 am
Really? They've never looked at mine. The purpose of the signature is not to verify your identity but rather to provide evidence to the bank that you actually made the purchase if you dispute the charge. Same with a pin.
What can I say... nearly every single time at every grocery store and gas station I have been to in recent years in several western European countries.

Also, if the purpose of the signature strip on the card isn't to provide some rudimentary means of comparing the signature of the card holder with the signature of the card user, and the signature on the receipt is mean to just provide "evidence" to the bank, why did they ever bother with having a signature strip on the card in the first place?
jucor

Post by jucor »

Years ago I was given my employer's card and told to go buy some stuff for the business, which I did. The cashier looked at the back and at my signature on the receipt and said "Hey, these don't match." I replied, "That's because it is not my card, it's my boss's" She said, "Oh, well then that's OK" and sent me on my way.

A classic case of not what was supposed to happen -- I was tempted to tell her what she had done wrong, but...

:P :oops:
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

The ink of my signature on the only credit card I own is nearly wiped off by me using disinfectant to fight that virus.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:37 pmwhy did they ever bother with having a signature strip on the card in the first place?
I'm pretty sure that's just to show that you accept the terms and conditions of the credit card agreement. Although I've noticed that cards no longer even say "not valid unless signed" on them. The notion that signatures were ever supposed to "match" is pretty dubious.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Halicar wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:51 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:37 pmwhy did they ever bother with having a signature strip on the card in the first place?
I'm pretty sure that's just to show that you accept the terms and conditions of the credit card agreement. Although I've noticed that cards no longer even say "not valid unless signed" on them. The notion that signatures were ever supposed to "match" is pretty dubious.
Back in the '80s when I got my first card, I definitely remember thinking that signatures were supposed to match. Now whether "match' was required by some law/regulation or by terms and conditions, I don't know, but I'd say it was certainly an expectation of consumers and retailers. Times have changed that's for sure.

Edited to add: Discover at least suggests that "matching" is a thing:
Merchants ask you to sign their receipts, so that they can readily compare your signature against the one on the back of your card.
brcarls

Post by brcarls »

You "SEE ID" folks haven't thought it through. That makes it easier for someone to use your card if a clerk actually checks the signature block....

All they need is a fake ID which is trivial to obtain, or at least is trivial for high school kids. If the clerk wants a signature on the receipt, their signature is going to match their signature on the fake ID. Much easier than trying to forge a signature on demand on a receipt to match the legit signature on a properly signed CC.

It's moot because few stores check, but amusing that people think they are clever but are actually making the crook's job easier.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

brcarls wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:06 pm You "SEE ID" folks haven't thought it through. That makes it easier for someone to use your card if a clerk actually checks the signature block....

All they need is a fake ID which is trivial to obtain, or at least is trivial for high school kids. If the clerk wants a signature on the receipt, their signature is going to match their signature on the fake ID. Much easier than trying to forge a signature on demand on a receipt to match the legit signature on a properly signed CC.

It's moot because few stores check, but amusing that people think they are clever but are actually making the crook's job easier.
I’m just curious why folks seem really concerned whether there is fraudulent spending on their CC? That’s the bank’s problem and is trivial to fix. Signature or no signature isn’t even going to be a speed bump to someone with your relevant CC numbers.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I sign my cards, except for a new one that doesn’t have a strip and supposedly works by touch, like Apple Pay. And I sign receipts and attempt to sign screens with my finger, no matter how bazaar it renders. If it gives a bit of comfort to the merchant, why not? And my gosh, I even sign checks!!!