Disappointed in Amica

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
CFM300

Disappointed in Amica

Post by CFM300 »

For the third year in row, Amica has increased our car insurance premiums by increasing our estimated annual mileage. Each year I call and reaffirm that our mileage will be less than half of their new estimate. They then adjust our rate back down.

I suppose a lot of people either don't notice or don't call to complain. It's frustrating because they know our exact mileage for the last five years -- which, incidentally, has always been UNDER the estimate I've given them. In addition, they know most people are driving a lot less due to the virus and shutdowns. So I don't understand why they keep jacking their estimate each year -- other than to try to gouge us.

Amica is highly rated on this forum and elsewhere. So I'm surprised and disappointed, as well as annoyed.

I guess I'll be shopping for new insurance policies. Such fun, especially with auto, home, and umbrella combined.

Thoughts welcome.
JoMoney

Re: Disappointed in Amica

Post by JoMoney »

I'd like to use Amica. I think insurance is one of those things that should be run as a 'mutual'... but, GEICO gives me better rates even after the Amica dividend, so that's where I'm at.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Afty

Post by Afty »

Each year when Amica sends their updated policy, they include a form for you to enter your estimated mileage. They then adjust the policy based on the form. At least this is how it has always worked in my experience.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

My homeowner's policy just renewed with NJM.
I was told that every year I have to call to reduce the replacement value of the insured contents. :annoyed
So it is not just Amica.
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Afty wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 pm Each year when Amica sends their updated policy, they include a form for you to enter your estimated mileage. They then adjust the policy based on the form. At least this is how it has always worked in my experience.
Correct. My question is why do they increase my estimated mileage each year, such that I have to either complete the form or call them, so that they can then adjust the policy?
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

go_mets wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm My homeowner's policy just renewed with NJM.
I was told that every year I have to call to reduce the replacement value of the insured contents. :annoyed
So it is not just Amica.
Good to know. Thanks.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

go_mets wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm My homeowner's policy just renewed with NJM.
So it is not just Amica.
I have approximately this conversation with my insurance agent from time to time. I've changed a few details but the gist is faithful.

Hero: I've been with your insurance company for, what, 20 years now? I have never filed a claim and I have huge deductibles, so it's not likely I will start filing claims. I wanted you to know that I am displeased with the prices quoted on my renewals. I'll be getting quotes, and I wanted to give you a chance to rebid my renewals. If you are competitive, I'll be happy to continue sending you money.

Agent: Yeah, sorry about that. We've been seeing a rash of hail damage and fire ants actually on fire burning houses down. And your neighbor had a litigious group of power walkers all slip on his sidewalk. Also, did you hear the wind the other night? A house was found ripped off the foundation and in a tree, and it took out a Ferrari factory on the way to the tree, and the Ferraris that were not destroyed were all stolen because they left the gate open. Four of the stolen Ferraris crashed into the fine art museum, ruining several Picassos and the museum's centerpiece original painting of Dogs Playing Poker. That claim was really expensive, so rates have been going up. Don't even get me started on the rash of dog bites lately!

Hero: Oh, I love a good story! Did you hear the one about the long-time policyholder who called his insurance agent, and the agent didn't listen to his concerns about price, so he got a cheaper price and moved all his policies elsewhere?

Agent: Yeah, I definitely understand people are trying to save money these days. Give me two days and I'll see what I can do.

Hero: OK, thanks so much! It would be so fantastic if you could help me because I'm one of those people who are motivated to save money these days. TTFN!

So far, he's managed to find "discounts" and "new policies" that "better meet my needs." :oops:

I have a "scientist" discount on my homeowner policy. He "found" that I was eligible for that in one of his discount quests. I guess he didn't watch Breaking Bad. LOL
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 pm

I have a "scientist" discount on my homeowner policy. He "found" that I was eligible for that in one of his discount quests. I guess he didn't watch Breaking Bad. LOL
I have gotten discounts on things just for having a PhD. I have no idea why being an absent minded professor would be a good thing to an insurance company, but there you have it.

But since OP is having a bad night with their financial expectations, yes, the fact that insurance companies would rather have you look around, and seem to punish loyalty, really sucks. They seem to be competing with the cable companies for sleaze.
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

sailaway wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:25 pm But since OP is having a bad night with their financial expectations
Hahaha. Yes, I am currently annoyed with several companies. I have a small business myself and I would never treat customers in the ways that I'm complaining about. Burying details of an offer in fine print, or just raising the price based on projections that I have no reason to believe actually apply to them.
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 pm I have approximately this conversation with my insurance agent from time to time.
Okay, so I'm not alone on this one. Again, good to know.

P.S. "fire ants on fire" :D
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

Been using Geico for over 3 years and had great rates. The Company they use for home insurance tried increasing my premium $1k this year, so I shopped it. I had recently used Policygenius for a life insurance policy and gave them a shot for auto, home and umbrella. All I had to do was upload my declarations and they did the rest. Ended up saving about $1,200 overall. Highly suggest giving them a shot to see the result. Its about 3 minutes or work on your end. Now I have Safeco and Policygenius even handled the cancellation of my old policies.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

BUBear29 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:35 pm Policygenius
Had never heard of that site. Looks interesting. Especially the part about not having to give contact info to get quotes. Thanks for the suggestion!
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

CFM300 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm
Had never heard of that site. Looks interesting. Especially the part about not having to give contact info to get quotes. Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem. Heard about them on a few podcasts and gave them a shot. No issues. Give them about a week to shop your rates. I was about to inquire on their tardiness and the next day they gave me a great quote. Patience is a virtue they say...
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

It seems you are spending more time and energy being disappointed with various financial instituition than it takes to resolve the issues.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
afan

Post by afan »

The insurance market is highly competitive. Shop other companies. Shop with an independent agent. Shop captives. You should do this every few years. If you find a better rate, great. If not, you know you are getting the best available.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I've always been very happy with Amica, especially filing a claim. Anecdotal, but I had Geico once and am much happier with Amica as Geico seemed to raise the rates annually and was quite bad the one time I had to file a claim.

Interestingly, Amica never ask me how many miles I drive annually. They just want to know if for pleasure or daily commute or used for something else. I did file a recent claim so I'll keep an eye to see if rates jump up.
tj

Post by tj »

JoMoney wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:39 pm I'd like to use Amica. I think insurance is one of those things that should be run as a 'mutual'... but, GEICO gives me better rates even after the Amica dividend, so that's where I'm at.
GEICO gives me good rates, but I feel like their liability coverage max's out pretty low.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Geico has one issue: my understanding from talking to traffic attorneys in the know is that Geico raises car insurance rates immediately after a client gets convicted of a minor moving violation. Most other insurance companies raise rates only after a second moving violation within two (or maybe it's three) years; the first one doesn't trigger a rate increase.

The other reason I avoid Geico is because they run ads all the time. For some reason, I hate advertising.

Amica has always been great for me. Prompt, efficient, and fair. I have car, auto, and umbrella with them.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Odd.... Amica typically lowers my auto premium each year as the cars get older and the collision value goes down.

And yes I fill out that mileage form every year.
cowbman

Post by cowbman »

Not all states allow dividends, TX & CA are two big ones.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

I would love to try Amica for my auto and home policies, as I hear so much good about them. Unfortunately their auto quotes are usually double that of my current insurance companies.
snowman

Post by snowman »

marcopolo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 am It seems you are spending more time and energy being disappointed with various financial instituition than it takes to resolve the issues.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

jrbdmb wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:44 am I would love to try Amica for my auto and home policies, as I hear so much good about them. Unfortunately their auto quotes are usually double that of my current insurance companies.
This was my experience as well last time I got quotes. Amica was by far the highest quote I received - and was twice the price of the the lower ones.

OP: I would shop around. Amica is highly rated for customer service but since you have issues with them anyway why pay a very high price if you don't need to. My Car insurance company followed the lead of many others and gave me a rebate without asking due to the "expectation" we were putting lower miles on it during the pandemic.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
junetree

Post by junetree »

Same here. Auto insurance with Amica is more expensive than comparable insurance companies. AND they hiked up our mileage automatically despite shelter in place being in effect. I had to call and point things out to them, costing unneeded hassle. Time sap.
talzara

Post by talzara »

CFM300 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm For the third year in row, Amica has increased our car insurance premiums by increasing our estimated annual mileage. ... So I don't understand why they keep jacking their estimate each year -- other than to try to gouge us.
People are more willing to lie by omission. They'll report a decrease in mileage, but they'll forget to report an increase in mileage.

Resetting the mileage classification every year solves this problem.
talzara

Post by talzara »

sailaway wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:25 pm I have gotten discounts on things just for having a PhD. I have no idea why being an absent minded professor would be a good thing to an insurance company, but there you have it.
Education levels are correlated with claims risk. Occupation is also correlated with claims risk. As a professor with a PhD, you are a lower risk to the insurance company.

The classifications are very broad. Most insurers give the same discount to Masters and PhD degrees. They also give the same discount to high school teachers and college professors.
talzara

Post by talzara »

valleyrock wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 pm Geico has one issue: my understanding from talking to traffic attorneys in the know is that Geico raises car insurance rates immediately after a client gets convicted of a minor moving violation. Most other insurance companies raise rates only after a second moving violation within two (or maybe it's three) years; the first one doesn't trigger a rate increase.
GEICO tends to follow the actuarial risk curve more closely than other companies. Lower-risk drivers will pay less at GEICO, and higher-risk drivers will pay more.

This goes back to GEICO's roots as a preferred insurer that was only available to government employees. The company nearly went bankrupt in the 1970s during its first attempt at serving the public. Ever since then, the company has been very careful about risk.
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

talzara wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:11 pm People are more willing to lie by omission. They'll report a decrease in mileage, but they'll forget to report an increase in mileage.

Resetting the mileage classification every year solves this problem.
Fair point. But they have six years of history on us, so there's no reason for their projected mileage to be twice our actual. Also, they could send a request for our estimated mileage before drafting our new policy rather than sending an inflated bill based on their wildly inaccurate projection.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

BUBear29 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 pm
CFM300 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm
No problem. Heard about them on a few podcasts and gave them a shot. No issues. Give them about a week to shop your rates. I was about to inquire on their tardiness and the next day they gave me a great quote. Patience is a virtue they say...
We have used them for our term life policies. I heartily recommend them.
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

I fired Amica this year for the same reason. They constantly raised my home replacement value over and over again and over the years I had raised my deductibles higher than was probably reasonable. Auto rates had also steadily risen. I had been with them for 25 years.

Erie Insurance offered better insurance with lower deductibles and is saving me $1k per year. Erie's website is better, their policies can still be mailed to me, and their insurance cards for the car actually printed right. No more of the weird Amica practice of paying over 10 months for a 12 month policy. No more Amica's stupid 6 month auto policy renewal period. Erie also has locked my auto rates "forever" unless there is a material change to the cars or drivers.

So long, Amica!
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

CFM300 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm For the third year in row, Amica has increased our car insurance premiums by increasing our estimated annual mileage. Each year I call and reaffirm that our mileage will be less than half of their new estimate. They then adjust our rate back down.

I suppose a lot of people either don't notice or don't call to complain. It's frustrating because they know our exact mileage for the last five years -- which, incidentally, has always been UNDER the estimate I've given them. In addition, they know most people are driving a lot less due to the virus and shutdowns. So I don't understand why they keep jacking their estimate each year -- other than to try to gouge us.

Amica is highly rated on this forum and elsewhere. So I'm surprised and disappointed, as well as annoyed.

I guess I'll be shopping for new insurance policies. Such fun, especially with auto, home, and umbrella combined.

Thoughts welcome.
If this is your only complaint, things are going very well with them.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have home, auto and, umbrella and have switched insurance carriers multiple times due to raising rates. I have to say canceling with Amica was the most difficult due to various "bugs in their computer system". It took multiple phone calls, and I still received a bill a month after cancellation, which I had to call once again and was told to ignore.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

SimonJester wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:40 am canceling with Amica was the most difficult due to various "bugs in their computer system". It took multiple phone calls, and I still received a bill a month after cancellation, which I had to call once again and was told to ignore.
Good to know. If I do drop Amica, I'll be sure to document the process carefully. Thanks.
talzara

Post by talzara »

tivattom wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:47 pm Erie Insurance offered better insurance with lower deductibles and is saving me $1k per year. Erie's website is better, their policies can still be mailed to me, and their insurance cards for the car actually printed right. No more of the weird Amica practice of paying over 10 months for a 12 month policy. No more Amica's stupid 6 month auto policy renewal period. Erie also has locked my auto rates "forever" unless there is a material change to the cars or drivers.
Erie charges you more for a Rate Lock policy. They calculate your premium for the next ten years, based on the expected interest rate and inflation rate. Then they divide it by 10 and charge you that amount up-front.

It's a good deal if you won't replace your car for the next 10 years. If you replace one car, then you lose the guaranteed rate on all cars. Erie will recalculate the premium on all your cars, projecting it out another 10 years into the future.

It's like buying level term life insurance, but there's no fixed term. Policies that get repriced early are used to subsidize policies that remain unchanged for more than 10 years.
mouses

Post by mouses »

CFM300 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm For the third year in row, Amica has increased our car insurance premiums by increasing our estimated annual mileage. Each year I call and reaffirm that our mileage will be less than half of their new estimate. They then adjust our rate back down.

Thoughts welcome.
I haven't read the replies, no time. Amica sent me a partial refund for two months already due to the amount people are driving less saving them money on claims. Their annual increases for me are minuscule. A few years ago it was a $6 one. Something else must be going on in your case.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

its not just Amica. i have Amica now but had the same issue with other companies. it might be their way of making the insured confirm their mileage stats or home value.

regardless, a quick call is all it takes to set things back to where they should be.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
Topic Author
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

cashboy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm its not just Amica... regardless, a quick call is all it takes to set things back to where they should be.
That's a good perspective. Thanks.
mouses

Post by mouses »

tivattom wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:47 pm I fired Amica this year for the same reason. They constantly raised my home replacement value over and over again and over the years I had raised my deductibles higher than was probably reasonable.
Construction costs ARE going up in my area.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Body shop people have told me that Amica is "awesome" when it comes to paying for repairs. I've had nothing but prompt, efficient service from them. Their adjusters show up within a day, for example. I've also had them work with a body shop to figure out what it will take to not have to total out a car. Yes, the car was not fixed to perfection, but that's not what I wanted or needed for my 2005 Buick, which is in fine mechanical condition, but looks a little old. So what?
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

We just dumped Amica after 12 years. No claims of any kind, but auto and home both went up 50% in 2 years. In that 2 years, went from 3 cars to 2, but rates were climbing fast. Found several providers that were able to provide better coverage terms for far less $.
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

SimonJester wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:40 am I have home, auto and, umbrella and have switched insurance carriers multiple times due to raising rates. I have to say canceling with Amica was the most difficult due to various "bugs in their computer system". It took multiple phone calls, and I still received a bill a month after cancellation, which I had to call once again and was told to ignore.
I had the same cancellation problem with amica. They only canceled some of my policies and it took multiple calls to get them to do it rght.