IRS Check

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jng2020

IRS Check

Post by Jng2020 »

Hello
We overpaid by mistakes in 2018 by sending two different payments on the returns. IRS responded with a letter and they were to mail refund check but the check was never sent.

We stopped by LOCAL IRS office but they were not helpful and asked to call 800 number. We called and written 6 months ago but we never get a second lettet (maybe because of shut down)

Any ideas how to proceed.

Thankyou for any ideas/suggestions
Jnn
Last edited by Jng2020 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Re: IRS CHECK

Post by livesoft »

Contact the office of your Congressperson. It is their job to help you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Contact your Senators office or your local House of Representatives office.

Cheers
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

I'm going to be blunt here. Your note is very poorly written and if your letters to the IRS were equally poorly written, I can understand why they haven't helped you as they may not be understanding what the problem is. And if your spoken communications are as poor as this note, I can also see why your phone calls have not resulted in success.

Looking at some of your past posts here, I suspect you wrote this note in haste and did not proofread it before posting. Clear communication is essential. Proofread everything before sending or posting. For spoken communications, rehearse in advance what you're going to say and/or have notes in front of you so you say the important matters.

Your post is also confusing as you first say you're expecting money from the IRS, then mention penalties. Penalties are paid by a taxpayer to the IRS; the IRS does not pay penalties to taxpayers. You probably mean interest but when someone mentions penalties being owed, it would not surprise me that an IRS agent's first thought would be that you owe money to them. Again, clear communication is essential.

(and now to proofread my post before posting...)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The Congressperson's staff is used to poor communication, so they will sort all that out, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The purpose of the Taxpayer Advocate Service is to help in situations just like this.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I couldn't make sense of the post, either. OP, why not practice writing everything out clearly here, and then copy and paste that into a letter to your congressperson or to the Taxpayer Advocate.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

02nz wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am I couldn't make sense of the post, either. OP, why not practice writing everything out clearly here, and then that can be copied and paste that into a letter to his/her congressperson or to the Taxpayer Advocate.
I agree. I read some of the past posts and some were equally difficult to understand.

OP:

1) Did you submit an incorrect tax return originally in 2018?

2) How did you find out that you owed less? Did you discover it or did the IRS? When was it discovered?

3) Did you ever receive a CP2000 notice from the IRS? If so, when?

4) Did you submit an amended return, 1040X? If so, when?

5) What type of error caused the overpayment?
HomeStretch

Re: IRS Check

Post by HomeStretch »

Jng2020 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am We overpaid by mistakes in 2018 and IRS suppose to give us a check over 18K for 2018; they did not provide the check...
Do you mean you are owed a refund of $18,000 for tax year 2018?

If yes, how was the refund request submitted to the IRS? Form 1040 for 2018? Form 1040X for 2018?

How have you verified the IRS received the Form?

Have you received any correspondence from the IRS about this filing or responses to the letters you sent last year?

When you called multiple times, what did the IRS agents say about this matter?

Did you prepare the tax filing(s) yourself or did you use a paid preparer? If the latter, have you discussed this with the preparer and what did they say?
and now we are 20000 owed + penalties.
What does this mean?

Do you mean you owe $20,000 in taxes for tax year 2019 plus penalties for under withholding?

How do you know about the penalties? Did you calculate it or did the IRS send you a notice?

If yes, do you have the money to pay the 2019 tax now (to stop the clock on interest and penalties) while you wait for the 2018 refund?
... This never happened and we are wondering how to expertise this. WE have written several letters last year and again in March to them and called irs 800 numbers multiple times [the wait are so long and they act like they don't really want to help you/you are just a burden.]
We stopped by LOCAL IRS office but they turned us away very fast and stated to call the 800 numbers [so back to square one]

Having the shutdowns past few months it was impossible to contact them nor get responses from them; phone number also were not working past 3 months from IRS. ...
The IRS has been shutdown as you noted. I think it will take several months at least for the IRS to process the backlog that includes your matters. I don’t see anyway around this reality.

Your best avenues for assistance are likely a CPA/Enrolled Agent or the suggestions, above (contact a congress member or taxpayer advocate). The IRS offices are reopening so you can try calling again.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

If the IRS owes you money, just pay less taxes going forward to offset it. Apply your refund to following year taxes. Do you owe the IRS any money in 2019 or 2020?
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.
Topic Author
Jng2020

Post by Jng2020 »

Jng2020 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am Hello
We overpaid by mistakes in 2018 by sending two different payments on the returns. IRS responded with a letter and they were to mail refund check but the check was never sent.

We stopped by LOCAL IRS office but they were not helpful and asked to call 800 number. We called and written 6 months ago but we never get a second lettet (maybe because of shut down)

Any ideas how to proceed.

Thankyou for any ideas/suggestions
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

lstone19 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am I'm going to be blunt here. Your note is very poorly written and if your letters to the IRS were equally poorly written, I can understand why they haven't helped you as they may not be understanding what the problem is. And if your spoken communications are as poor as this note, I can also see why your phone calls have not resulted in success.

Looking at some of your past posts here, I suspect you wrote this note in haste and did not proofread it before posting. Clear communication is essential. Proofread everything before sending or posting. For spoken communications, rehearse in advance what you're going to say and/or have notes in front of you so you say the important matters.

Your post is also confusing as you first say you're expecting money from the IRS, then mention penalties. Penalties are paid by a taxpayer to the IRS; the IRS does not pay penalties to taxpayers. You probably mean interest but when someone mentions penalties being owed, it would not surprise me that an IRS agent's first thought would be that you owe money to them. Again, clear communication is essential.

Ouch!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
Jng2020

Post by Jng2020 »

We did owe them money in 2015 tax revisions/auditions and paying them off now.

The 18k owed in 2019 were in 1040. To clarify, we sent them 2 checks [by mistakes], both checks were processed/cashed by IRS. They were suppose to send us 18000 refunds with IRS checks in late summer 2019 but never did. They did calculated the nonexistence 18000 checks into our balance. Now we have a balance [-18000] plus interest/penalties totaling around 20000. We have tried uncessfully past six months by letters and phone calls.

Thank you for these suggestions

We will try our local congressman tomorrow

Kind regards
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

Jng2020 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:58 pm We did owe them money in 2015 tax revisions/auditions and paying them off now.

The 18k owed in 2019 were in 1040. To clarify, we sent them 2 checks [by mistakes], both checks were processed/cashed by IRS. They were suppose to send us 18000 refunds with IRS checks in late summer 2019 but never did. They did calculated the nonexistence 18000 checks into our balance. Now we have a balance [-18000] plus interest/penalties totaling around 20000. We have tried uncessfully past six months by letters and phone calls.
It's possible that the delay is due to the Covid-related shutdown at the IRS.

It's also possible, and perhaps likely, that the IRS will not issue a refund of your overpaid 2018 taxes if you have a delinquent unpaid balance due for your 2015 taxes.
the way

Post by the way »

samsoes wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:47 pm
lstone19 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am I'm going to be blunt here. Your note is very poorly written and if your letters to the IRS were equally poorly written, I can understand why they haven't helped you as they may not be understanding what the problem is. And if your spoken communications are as poor as this note, I can also see why your phone calls have not resulted in success.

Ouch!
It's as if this poster has never encountered someone who's English is not their first language
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

the way wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:55 pm It's as if this poster has never encountered someone who's English is not their first language
A bit personal. I did consider that, looked at the OP’s other posts many of which read well, and so concluded that it had been written in haste without adequate proofreading. Perhaps English is not the OP’s first language but whatever the reason, the OP is making it hard to understand the problem. Clarity of communications is important and regardless of why it’s not clear, it’s hard to help people when they can’t make it clear what the problem really is.
doneat53

Post by doneat53 »

Dealing with Congressman's office and IRS 800 numbers can be a total time sink and headache (especially with everyone working from home and reduced staffs due to SARS-COV19 pandemic).

If I were you I'd chalk it up to experience and enter the amount that they owe you (~20k right?) in the box marked "carryover from 2018 taxes" when you submit your 2019 tax return now or on July 15th. I'm assuming that this is an amount agreed upon by the IRS and not 18K plus interest that you've calculated yourself. If you don't have documentation saying that the IRS owes you 20k but only have documentation for the 18k over-payment then use 18k as the amount for this. You may have to talk with your employer if you are still working and have them discontinue taking out federal income tax from your paycheck for the remainder of the year.

Although this seems fairly straightforward to me it may help to have a tax accountant help you with this. If you still have a negative balance after adding the 18 or 20k payment, then submit payment for only the balance. I'm of course assuming you have not already filed for 2019. Unless 2018 was an unusual year for you I'm guessing you'll owe about the same amount and ... problem solved or at least the balance owed you by the IRS will be much smaller.

Doneat
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

doneat53 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 pm
If I were you I'd chalk it up to experience and enter the amount that they owe you (~20k right?) in the box marked "carryover from 2018 taxes" when you submit your 2019 tax return now or on July 15th. I'm assuming that this is an amount agreed upon by the IRS and not 18K plus interest that you've calculated yourself. If you don't have documentation saying that the IRS owes you 20k but only have documentation for the 18k over-payment then use 18k as the amount for this. You may have to talk with your employer if you are still working and have them discontinue taking out federal income tax from your paycheck for the remainder of the year.
This will not work, and will only create additional problems by creating an underpayment on the 2019 tax return.

The $18K overpayment for 2018 was caused by sending duplicate tax payments. The 2018 tax return did not show $18K overpayment to be applied to 2019 estimated tax and there is nothing the OP can do at this point to have the $18K overpayment applied as a 2019 estimated payment. Filing the 2019 tax return showing the 2018 overpayment of $18K as a 2019 estimated payment would be a big mistake.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Refunds for duplicate payments are usually automatically generated by the system. (My D inadvertently made a quarterliy payment online with the incorrect year -- the prior year -- which had been completed. They sent her a letter and check in about 3 weeks)

OP:

my guess is that your check was lost/stolen in the mail. Fortunately, IRS workers are coming back online and the regional service centers are starting to staff back up, so I'd call their 800 number -- with your overpayment letter in hand -- and tell them that you never received the check that is described in the letter dated, mm-dd-yyyy. Ask, 'what are next steps to get a replacement check?'