Would you rent your house to a famous athlete?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
birnhamwood

Re: Would you rent your house to a famous athlete?

Post by birnhamwood »

"Would you rent your house to a famous athlete?

Yes, as long as the athlete is not a Dallas Cowboy! :^)
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

pivoprussia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 pm We have our house listed for sale. We would prefer to sell but if it does not sell we are open to the possibility of renting.

Our agent just informed us a famous athlete is interested in renting our house.

My concern is the individual is young and single. More than likely would have parties at the house.
A family could also cause damage but clearly the concern is greater here.

Would you rent it to them?
If so, what provisions would you include in the contract to safeguard your property?

Thanks.
Nope. Absolutely not.
VTSAX and chill
MrDrinkingWater

Post by MrDrinkingWater »

pivoprussia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 pm <SNIP>
If so, what provisions would you include in the contract to safeguard your property?

Thanks.
It sounds as if this is your primary residence and you would prefer to sell it. Were you planning to move to somewhere nearby or faraway? This might influence whether renting your current place would be a reasonable thing to do.

If you were moving faraway, I think being a faraway landlord would not be ideal. Proceeding with selling the property might make a lot more sense, and be far easier.

If you were going to stay nearby (perhaps moving to a house that meets your ideal shelter requirements more closely), then renting the old house out might be feasible. If you do want to test out being a landlord, rent it out. Otherwise, don't rent it out, and go ahead and sell it.

I think using a standard fair rental contract like a contract you'd find in the back of a Nolo Press land-lording book would be appropriate to use.
Last edited by MrDrinkingWater on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would probably be more inclined to rent to someone famous because if they destroyed the place, I probably have a better chance of getting reimbursed with the threat of public shaming.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:46 pm
bottlecap wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 pm
OP didn’t mention wealth, but probably. I doubt a young accountant or young physician would be as likely to have wild, burn down the house parties than a young athlete.
What an odd stereotype. I work with a ton of (young, single) professional athletes and I don't agree.
What an odd definition of odd, based on responses here alone.

JT
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Pacific wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 pm
Ramjet wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:22 pm Yes, I would
Please send me your details as Antonio Brown is looking to rent a place.
That's what I was thinking!

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1810090080
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

No. I can think of many things that begin with a P: parties, pot, prostitutes, paparazzi, press, police, pia. Any one of these on their own could make one concerned but I can see all of these showing up on the same day or night and you getting another “p” - the dreaded phone call from either your neighbors or the police.

Have fun! :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
bacon4retirement

Post by bacon4retirement »

Seems like doing a background check on a famous athlete to discover a history of trashing places is going to be more fruitful than a background check on a typical renter.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Didn’t read all the comments, however... I had a friend rent his place to a Rams player (before they moved) and he hardly lived there. In off season the guy would live somewhere else, and during the season they were on the road often. Just something to think about
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Caution.

Famous, especially mega-famous, have a team handling things for them.
They might be somewhat difficult to deal with on mundane details...like taking the trash cans to the curb, getting the yard work done, etc.

Be very clear about operational details regarding the property.
E.g., who is responsible for what, when, and for how much, and what are the PERFORMANCE PENALTIES for the SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE items not being met.

E.g...don't take out the trash? Ok, $200 penalty and $50/hr including travel time for me to pay someone to do it.

It CAN work out...some don't care and just want to make the problems go away, they are easy to deal with as they throw money at every problem. Others are spoiled children that are impossible to deal with because no one has ever made them accountable for anything other than their skill set.
Topic Author
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

Thanks for the replies (except the few snarky ones).

A few points of clarification:

1- our house is NOT listed for rent - the individual only inquired if we would consider it
2- as far as some of you acting like we are making assumptions - we never said the person is a male but you did. Look in the mirror why don't you.
3- this is OUR house and have the right to not rent it and because it is not listed there is no "discrimination" or violation of fair housing laws
4- we are very familiar with the person and are actually bigs fans. I should have been clearer that the concern is dealing with a famous person more so than anything.

We are not landlords and have no experience with it. There are challenges to renting to ANYONE but there is a POSSIBILITY that renting to a famous person could bring additional challenges and I had hoped informed individuals could respond to that specifically.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

never could be a landlord for the simple reason that I don't like people messing with my stuff. If I own a house, it's mine....no way could I tolerate not knowing what damage was being done to MY property.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

add a provision to the terms of the lease that he/she/they is required to invite you to all parties and events. Oh - and maybe season tickets.
:)
zeal

Post by zeal »

If it were me I’d at least consider it. If you aren’t against being a landlord, then why not give them a chance? Screen them just like any other tenant. If you don’t know how, browse the Biggerpockets forum and website—plenty of great info there and I believe they have some sort of free screening tool/worksheet that is compiled/reviewed by the many seasoned landlords on the site. Try to remain unbiased as well (since you said you are a fan, that is).

Mostly for some of the other posters: there’s no reason to refuse a tenant simply because they are a famous athlete. The media is quick to share stories about the athletes who do something crazy and/or get in trouble with the law, but as someone who played on many, many sports teams... most of my teammates were normal, disciplined people who loved their sport. I’d wager that most professional athletes got to where they are because they are gifted, yes, but also because they are disciplined, perseverant, and excellent at setting boundaries and goals, then promptly achieving those goals and setting new ones. The many get a bad rap due to the unbelievable actions of a few... but that’s a discussion for another topic. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

pivoprussia wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:36 am We are not landlords and have no experience with it. There are challenges to renting to ANYONE but there is a POSSIBILITY that renting to a famous person could bring additional challenges and I had hoped informed individuals could respond to that specifically.
- If you have no experience, and this will be the only time you've done this, then don't rent.

- Renting is not selling. How would a delay in selling your home affect your plans?

- Consider what happens after the rental.

Is this person normally tracked in social media? Your house will be forever tagged with this person, which will bring a lot of unwanted attention to your home. Media loves to dig into famous people's personal lives. You'll be hounded by people wanting to get personal details.

Also, would this rental turn away potential buyers? They might not want this house for the same reason.

You can always claim "Guess who wanted to rent my old house" to your friends and family. It's a good story to tell - and doesn't bring any unwanted attention to you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tealeaves

Post by tealeaves »

The media effect just brought up is another good point to consider (when my friends rented their home to the basketball player it was a different generation in terms of social media exposure).

I may overlooked the answer to this but what type of athlete is it? A gymnast might be famous but his/her privacy may be more respected than a "top 4" sports participant (though be wary of chandelier swinging).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bottlecap wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:46 pm
bottlecap wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:50 pm
OP didn’t mention wealth, but probably. I doubt a young accountant or young physician would be as likely to have wild, burn down the house parties than a young athlete.
What an odd stereotype. I work with a ton of (young, single) professional athletes and I don't agree.
What an odd definition of odd, based on responses here alone.

JT
Please, explain why an athlete is more likely to destroy a house than someone else who is young, single, and wealthy. Several posters have stated it, with no explanation whatsoever. I'll wait, but I'm pretty sure the explanation would get this thread immediately closed.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Go for it. Standard reference check and standard security deposit and the risks are... well, standard.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

J295 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:13 pm
pivoprussia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 pm ...

My concern is the individual is young and single. More than likely would have parties at the house.
A family could also cause damage but clearly the concern is greater here
Unfair and inappropriate assumptions and stereotyping.
Aren't ALL responses "unfair and inappropriate assumptions and stereotyping"?

The only "fair and appropriate response devoid of stererotyping" would be from prospective tenant's previous landlord.

Wouldn't you agree?
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Not exactly the same, but my cousin sold her house to a *very* famous athlete. He was nothing but a perfect gentlemen.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Only if you're guaranteed a very lucrative rental rate and have proper protections in place for damages.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I think the real question is do you want to rent your house? The famous athlete thing is irrelevant.

FWIW, I have a famous within her sport, but not famous to the general public professional athlete living 2 doors down. She's always either working out, eating, sleeping, or away traveling somewhere. I would much rather have her as a tenant than the middle aged accountant I mentioned upthread.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 am

FWIW, I have a famous within her sport, but not famous to the general public professional athlete living 2 doors down. She's always either working out, eating, sleeping, or away traveling somewhere. I would much rather have her as a tenant than the middle aged accountant I mentioned upthread.
I work with more than a dozen NBA, NFL, and MLB teams and have regular contact with ~20 well known professional athletes as they are sponsored by my employer. One of my employees is the daughter of a local legend (NBA player) who herself played professional volleyball in Japan. Another is the daughter of another local legend (NFL) and is married to the star of local U football team (he passed on the draft to return for his senior season). One of my colleagues retired from the NFL 2yrs ago at age 29; he's a young, wealthy, single recently retired athlete. I did a webinar last Wednesday with a well-known professional tennis player (another sponsored athlete) for her summer camp; she's young, wealthy, and recently engaged to another professional athlete (soccer - you can probably figure out who it is now). They are individuals. Some of them I would trust to take care of my property, others maybe not so much - no different than other colleagues, employees, friends/family, etc. I'm not sure how the "athlete" part is relevant without actually knowing anything else.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

I wouldn’t. Friend of mine lives next door to a nfl player and it was terrible. Guy was nice but was hardly there but there were always hangers on there and they didn’t give a crap about neighbor relations.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I would follow the same rental criteria for anyone with no exceptions.

1 Ability to pay rent
2 financial stability
3 life stability
4 expected long term tenancy or transient
5 will they take care of the rental unit as a mature responsible person would their own home
6 will they treat neighbors and others in a mature and considerate way

OP to answer your question directly.....no.
Why?
Because it may be possible:::
Because there is a sense of entitlement to celebrity status not that one has to be known to act entitled.
Because there is the expectation of different treatment and terms.
Etc

OTOH: this person may be a wonderful quiet and mature and responsible and respectful tenant that cares for your rental as you do your own home.

Your house is listed for sale in nice condition.
Will it be in the same condition after being a rental to anyone?
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I wouldn't, but not because of anything to do with the individual. I have no desire to be a landlord so I wouldn't rent to anyone.

As mentioned above, I'd offer to sell it to them.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I would think an athlete would be much less likely to cause damage. Athletes are famously disciplined. I doubt they'd be partying more than average.
redmaw

Post by redmaw »

I'm not a landlord, and don't know anyone famous... So I have no advice there.

I am kind of surprised by all the warnings about discrimination. It really not relevant when the house is listed for sale, not for rent. A simple "not interested in renting" is the reply, that can't run afoul of any law regardless of why you said it.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the financial impacts. If your house is for sale I assume you had plans for the proceeds, using it as a down payment on the next house for example. Can you still move to your desired location with the same financing if you don't sell your house? Seems like this could be a hidden cost if you now need a larger mortgage for the house you will live in.

My response would probably be something like: I am interested in selling the house, but may be convinced to rent it. In order for this to be worth my while you should expect to pay well above market value, with significant lease protections for myself, such as a high security deposit. If you are still interested in renting make me an offer, and I'll consider it. In the mean time I will be considering any offers to buy the house as well.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

How much of a premium are they willing to rent it for, to make it worth your time?
"Do, or do not." Yoda
J295

Post by J295 »

an_asker wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 am

The only "fair and appropriate response devoid of stererotyping" would be from prospective tenant's previous landlord.

Wouldn't you agree?
Not sure if you’re referring to my statement about the OP’s initial statement, or the responses by others. In any case, I stand by my initial statement. Kind regards.
camden

Post by camden »

One of the many things that I have learned over the years in reading discussions on this forum is that I NEVER want to be a landlord under any circumstances.
Carpenterant

Post by Carpenterant »

Depends on the sport. I’d much rather rent to baseball or nba or hockey player and would not rent to an nfl player. I’m not sure if it’s against any laws to discriminate based on sport but I would.
reln

Post by reln »

pivoprussia wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:13 pm We have our house listed for sale. We would prefer to sell but if it does not sell we are open to the possibility of renting.

Thanks.
No.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

J295 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:39 pm
an_asker wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 am

Wouldn't you agree?
Not sure if you’re referring to my statement about the OP’s initial statement, or the responses by others. In any case, I stand by my initial statement. Kind regards.
I believe we are both saying the same thing. But I am saying that you've - deliberately or otherwise - left unsaid. Let me parse what I wrote:

- was OP stereotyping? Yes.

- aren't responses stereotyping as well? Of course!

- now, if OP seeks the opinion of the previous landlord of the specific athlete, wouldn't that be the best data point? Wouldn't that be more pertinent than all of the responses on this forum? This is what I believe ought to happen though, it might be exceedingly difficult to do.

That said, what will happen once OP reads all the responses? More stereotyping. Let's say there are 30 responses that say their athlete tenant messed up their property and 5 responses that say their athlete tenant kept their property in top condition. OP will stereotype again based on the 30-5 split.

Unfair or not? Who knows. We cannot say. If a majority of folks tell you that a specific type of snake is dangerous and venomous, would you argue that it is unfair to the snake you are seeking to pet? Or would you not touch it with a ten foot pole?
Redlion

Post by Redlion »

Renting to a famous person should promote the neighborhood and would be a good selling point in the future, for example saying "Tim Tebow used to live here" It would attract a lot of die hard fans.
Last edited by Redlion on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

If I was a landlord, I wouldn't feel right about denying them because they're famous or an athlete. If you have a place that's likely to attracts wealthy people, you shouldn't be surprised when a wealthy person is attracted to it.

Treat them like any other potential tenant. Get past rental references, credit check, background check and make your decision. The fact that they're famous or an athlete should mean nothing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd politely decline and continue to sell.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Would you rent it to a successful young business person? If so thats your answer..I
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

What I want to know is if it is actually a famous athlete or just an athlete. Lots of folks in the MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL/MLS who, other than the fact that they may be significantly larger than the average person, I wouldn't look twice at walking down the street.

On the plus side of the equation the person has income and you won't have to worry about rent being paid. On the plus side of the equation the person (once play resumes) wouldn't be using the property a significant amount of time. On the downside, you could have a party animal. Or you could be renting to someone who isn't a prima donna. I'd rent to a quarterback, but not a wide receiver :D .

Now if Lebron wants to rent your house, I'd think that increases the value.

Get a property manager so you don't have to deal with day to day issues.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Maybe it depends on who the famous athlete was, and how much satisfaction one gets from repeatedly telling the story about who lives under my roof. But generally, heck no, I think renting to a rich, famous, and probably entitled athlete would be a complete nightmare!
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

KyleAAA wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm I would think an athlete would be much less likely to cause damage. Athletes are famously disciplined. I doubt they'd be partying more than average.
Have you heard about entourages, and what they are like?
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Real Estate values are high right now, and inventory is generally low. Good chance you can sell and get what you want.

If you rent it out for a year things could change. The moratorium on foreclosures and people not wanting to move during COVID has kept prices stable during record unemployment and the erratic stock market. Once people run out of the federal 600 a week unemployment and the mortgage forbearance programs we will see the real impact of covid on the real estate market, and it could be significant.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

I’m appalled at the amount of people on this forum that think it’s okay to not rent to someone based on age and the fact of not being married. What’s next not renting to someone if they have kids. It is most likely illegal to not rent to someone on these standards.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Thanks.
"More than likely would have parties at the house." Why are you renting it if you don't want people to have parties at your house?

Is the athlete African American? Redlining is illegal.
Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers »

1130Super wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm I’m appalled at the amount of people on this forum that think it’s okay to not rent to someone based on age and the fact of not being married. What’s next not renting to someone if they have kids. It is most likely illegal to not rent to someone on these standards.
I agree. A lot of the decision criteria discussed in this thread would be illegal where I live. I don't see why the moderators let this thread stay on the site -- it's like a thread on tax evasion.
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Not sure why this would be different from any other renter? If it isn't on the market for rent, tell the other agent you would consider it for a strong offer. Consider the offer if one is sent. Then make a decision.

If they offer a market rate and your house isn't getting any sales movement, it might be worth considering.

If it is market rate and your house has lots of interest or even a few offers and you want to sell then decline.

If they offer above market rate then consider it and determine if you want to be a landlord.

Without knowing your costs or potential profit/loss in renting it would be hard to give a good opinion.

A better query might be - we are selling our house for $X. It has lots/no interests due to local market. We received $y offer for a short term rental. Our costs on the house are $z. The person is a famous athlete. WWYD?
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Lookingforanswers wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm
1130Super wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm I’m appalled at the amount of people on this forum that think it’s okay to not rent to someone based on age and the fact of not being married. What’s next not renting to someone if they have kids. It is most likely illegal to not rent to someone on these standards.
I agree. A lot of the decision criteria discussed in this thread would be illegal where I live. I don't see why the moderators let this thread stay on the site -- it's like a thread on tax evasion.
In this particular case, OP got an apparently unsolicited offer to rent a house they were trying to sell. And apparently this unsolicited offer included the info on who was making the offer, for whatever reason. So this is different than a situation where someone was offering a place for rent and then screening tenants, as far as I can tell.

And then a bunch of posters (who weren't offering their houses for rent as far as I can tell based on what most have posted) said they wouldn't be comfortable renting their house for various reasons. People who aren't renting out properties aren't breaking any laws by saying they wouldn't rent to various people (young, old, single, married, whatever). They are revealing their prejudices, which may in fact be appalling (I'm not defending the prejudices in whichever direction). But they aren't breaking any laws.

In general, I think not wanting to deal with the headaches that may be involved with renting to people with whatever characteristics (for example, responsible vs careless with home upkeep) is a great reason not to be a landlord if you don't want to. Plenty of other people are willing to be landlords, and presumably follow the appropriate laws.

But if you still have a problem with the posts here, use the report button on troublesome posts (looks like a exclamation mark at the top of each post) and let the moderators handle it.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Alright. Let's ease up. He is not advertising to rent. He is selling his own house and someone approached him to rent. There is no legal obligation to rent his own house that he has not listed for rent. If you have advice about whether he or not should rent the house then please provide them.
~Moderator
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

angelescrest wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:40 am
KyleAAA wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm I would think an athlete would be much less likely to cause damage. Athletes are famously disciplined. I doubt they'd be partying more than average.
Have you heard about entourages, and what they are like?
Of course. It doesn't change my conclusion one bit. This all sounds like baseless fear mongering to me.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

It's (IMO) hardly coincidental why none of them have explained how this individual being a professional athlete, with no other information, is relevant at all to the discussion. It is (IMO) more than that, but if their true reasons were stated they would be (rightfully) attacked and the thread shut down.

Personally, I would not want to be a landlord at all in this situation, but I am shocked that the focus of the discussion has turned to the "athlete" component.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Cam894 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:33 pmThis sounds like something different. But on a related note. If you are ever asked to rent your house as a movie set. Make sure they will cover utilities. The equipment will rack up the power bill like you wouldn't believe. Not that the house will even be able to power all of the lighting fixtures they will bring in.

Learned this from a professor in college who worked on film sets. I ended up in a different sector of the industry but can speak for the validity.
How much power can they use? A 100 or 200 amp is what (Watt)? 11-22kW/hour? or 500kW/day? That's $100/day tops, no? Might be simpler (and profitable) to build it into the daily rental rate than try to compute the actual usage.

Same applies if the rental will be short term instead of requiring the renter to sign up for utilities. I've heard of folks running extraordinary AC or heating bills when they weren't paying for it. And nowadays, even water is becoming a non-negligible amount. Thankfully trash and sewage hasn't gotten out of hand yet.