Amended return hasn't been processed in ~2 months.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Amended return hasn't been processed in ~2 months.

Post by jumbopapa »

Hi all,

I had to file an amended return for 2019 because I didn't handle my ESPP correctly, I mailed the amended return at the beginning of April. I've been checking the status this is the message I see:
Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later.
Do you think it's just COVID related and I should just keep waiting? Or should I try to follow up to see what's going on? I did certified mail, so I know it was delivered.
HomeStretch

Re: Amended return hasn't been processed in ~2 months.

Post by HomeStretch »

It appears that the IRS has a large backlog of unprocessed paper filings due to the COVID shutdowns. I expect the backlog to be reduced over the next couple months as IRS personnel return to their offices.

I am in the same situation (2019 1040X filed early April, refund not received) and so are others on the forum based on recent threads about delays. I know my 1040X was received as I sent it via USPS certified mail.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The IRS stopped processing paper returns in mid March. Last week, there was an estimate that over 12 million returns were awaiting processing. I expect it will be months before the IRS catches up. I wish the IRS would update their status message to make this clear to all those waiting.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:19 am It appears that the IRS has a large backlog of unprocessed paper filings due to the COVID shutdowns. I expect the backlog to be reduced over the next couple months as IRS personnel return to their offices.

I am in the same situation (2019 1040X filed early April, refund not received) and so are others on the forum based on recent threads about delays. I know my 1040X was received as I sent it via USPS certified mail.
+1

The IRS is facing many challenges that are contributing to this backlog. The fact that there was a COVID shutdown is only one of them. They also:

- Are processing all the stimulus checks. That took priority over processing taxes.
- Are operating on old computers with old software that is more difficult to update with all the changes to the tax code, changing deadlines, and new taskings.
- Are operating under budget cuts. Their budget is smaller than it was 10 years ago (the last time they had to process stimulus checks and taxes at the same time).

The IRS is inherently an unpopular agency because nobody likes paying taxes. But this is an example of where defunding an enforcement agency is affecting their ability to perform their job efficiently and effectively. They're having problems processing taxes, but they're also not conducting audits and other enforcement actions that well, either.

The actionable part of this is to be aware of these issues that they're having (and will continue to have). Avoid paper filing, and use the automated/electronic filing systems as much as possible. If you have to file paper, then expect very long delays.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Directly from the IRS:

“ The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your Economic Impact Payment. Paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen.”

Just wait until Dec. 31, 2020. It could be later.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

While I don't know this, it seems likely that amended returns will have a lower priority. I would expect other returns to be processed sooner.

I suggest you relax in a chaise lounge on your deck/patio with a :beer It is going to be a long wait.

P.S. Not that it will help you because the IRS explicitly states, not to submit duplicate returns. It can even hold your return up longer.

On May 28, 2020, the IRS released IR-2020-107. It announced they would start accepting e-file of amended returns later this summer. They will only be accepting 2019 1040-X e-filing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The post office delivered my paper return to the IRS on March 13th, and the IRS has not begun processing it yet.

It is bad.

(Oddly enough, my state was able to promptly process a paper return mailed at the same time, and sent me a refund check about three weeks later.)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc »

The other thing to consider is if they will process them by FIFO or LIFO. Depending how things have been stacked at either the post office (not delivered) or at the IRS (received but not sorted), there is a good possibility that the first ones in could be the last ones processed.
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Thanks for clearing everything up.

The IRS should change that status message because it isn't at all clear why it hasn't been processed yet.

Here's to waiting! :sharebeer
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

jumbopapa wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 am Thanks for clearing everything up.

The IRS should change that status message because it isn't at all clear why it hasn't been processed yet.

Here's to waiting! :sharebeer
Change to what?

They probably don't know if they have your return, it's sitting in a pile of incoming mail somewhere.
Topic Author
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Hyperchicken wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:35 am
Change to what?

They probably don't know if they have your return, it's sitting in a pile of incoming mail somewhere.
This is what it currently says (as noted in my original post):
Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later.
It doesn't matter if they don't know if they have the return, the message should be updated to say something like "It typically takes 3 weeks to process an amended return, but due to COVID-19 processing has been paused, please check back in the coming months for a status update. We apologize for the inconvenience."
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I read an article just last week that said that the IRS processing centers were just starting to open up in June, and all of them would be at least partially open by the end of the month.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I filed an amended return back in 2017 that resulted in a rather large refund. You can bet the IRS took every last day of that 16 weeks to process it.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Same here, except it's the state taking its sweet time.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

Moving forward this hopefully won't be an issue. E-file for 1040x expected to be live later this Summer. I too have an amended return sitting somewhere.
stl717

Post by stl717 »

FYI: I mailed an amended 1040X in on April 13th and the check finally went through today.

However, if I check the IRS status, it is unchanged: "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later."
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Latest from the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operat ... s-continue

What they don't clarify is exactly what operations are "mission critical". Processing paper returns would not be on the list.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 am The post office delivered my paper return to the IRS on March 13th, and the IRS has not begun processing it yet.

It is bad.
You must be expecting a refund? Why else would it be "bad?"
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 am The post office delivered my paper return to the IRS on March 13th, and the IRS has not begun processing it yet.

It is bad.
The post office delivered mine on February 24th and no progress...it is bad indeed. :(
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

MilleniumBuc wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 am The other thing to consider is if they will process them by FIFO or LIFO. Depending how things have been stacked at either the post office (not delivered) or at the IRS (received but not sorted), there is a good possibility that the first ones in could be the last ones processed.
Well, the IRS explicitly says they process it in FIFO order so I'd say it is a "no possibility" rather than "good possibility".
crazygrow

Post by crazygrow »

I filed my 2020 taxes March 24th and still processing.
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

I filed an amended return mid February. IRS hotline still says it was received but not processed. Am I the winner for the longest delay?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I filed an amended return before the July deadline, I owed some money. They still have not cashed the check. Guess they don’t want my money!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 pm I filed an amended return before the July deadline, I owed some money. They still have not cashed the check. Guess they don’t want my money!
Have not cashed the check = have not opened the envelope.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

trueblueky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 pm I filed an amended return before the July deadline, I owed some money. They still have not cashed the check. Guess they don’t want my money!
I figured that.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

We mailed a trust return with a check. A few months later, we got an IRS notice that the trust owed taxes. When I called the IRS, the rep said they’ve been getting a lot of calls about trusts and missing checks. She said to wait a month. I keep checking but the IRS hasn’t cashed the check but I don’t want to send in another payment; I fear they will later find the first check and deposit it for a double payment.

The IRS opened the return, scanned in the return but lost the check. Not sure what to do now but wait for the check to clear or await the next IRS notice. Advice?
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

SpideyIndexer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:36 pm I filed an amended return mid February. IRS hotline still says it was received but not processed. Am I the winner for the longest delay?
Possibly, but not by much!! :P

I sent in an amended return for 2019 after I realized that I forgot to write "rollover" next to one of the lines. They hadn't even processed my regular 2019 1040 the last time I checked. I really don't care. I paid electronically and sent the returns certified mail, so there isn't much they could challenge me on.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

trueblueky wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 pm
Got notification, they cashed my check! Let’s see if they mail me a letter now.