best way to give away a table saw

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dual

best way to give away a table saw

Post by dual »

I am garage cleaning and want to give away a table saw. It weighs a lot so recipient has to have access to a truck and probably several people to move and lift it. As an incentive I also have a radial saw that is fairly easily portable that I want to give away as a package deal to get people to take the big one.

I am pretty sure both work although I have not used them for many years. They are good brands: Sears for table saw, Dewalt for radial saw.

I am looking for overall strategy and also strategies for specific websites like Goodwill, freecycle, craigslist, facebook marketplace,

Note that I do not want to sell the items. Question: would putting a (low) price on them help to find serious recipients.

Thanks in advance
TxAg

Re: best way to give away a table saw

Post by TxAg »

I wish you lived in my town

Good luck
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

I would think that a Craigslist "for free" listing would have them coming out of the woodwork. I would be very specific that they are given as-is, where-is and that buyer must arrange for prompt removal without your help loading.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Posting on Craigslist "for free" will likely get it gone in hours if not minutes.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

Maybe I am overly cautious but I am concerned that someone shows up with a tiny car. How about arranging to meet at a nearby shopping center so I can size them up (maybe pun intended) before taking them to my house?

p.s. I caught the "coming out of the woodwork" comment :D
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

I tend to favor my local Facebook neighborhood yard sale page for things like this, as you (naturally) get more local people picking up. I would post it there first, then on Craigslist maybe a week later if no takers. I'm amazed at what you can give away, and tools are hot! Point out the obvious - you will move it to your driveway in front of your locked garage (ok, don't mention that) but they will need a truck and to do all loading!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

I would definitely put a price on them to narrow the field a bit (way to many see “free” and don’t follow through). A good, old cast iron table saw is a great find, I think you are underestimating the interest out there.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Do you have a handyman or similar that you have used for many years? Or barber or hairdresser or similar? Church or club members? Family?

I'd start by asking the people you have a relationship whether they or a family member could use it.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:07 pm I am garage cleaning and want to give away a table saw. It weighs a lot so recipient has to have access to a truck and probably several people to move and lift it. As an incentive I also have a radial saw that is fairly easily portable that I want to give away as a package deal to get people to take the big one.

I am pretty sure both work although I have not used them for many years. They are good brands: Sears for table saw, Dewalt for radial saw.

I am looking for overall strategy and also strategies for specific websites like Goodwill, freecycle, craigslist, facebook marketplace,

Note that I do not want to sell the items. Question: would putting a (low) price on them help to find serious recipients.

Thanks in advance
OfferUp is huge where I live and this would go quickly on there
VTSAX and chill
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:07 pm I ...want to give away a table saw. It weighs a lot so recipient has to have access to a truck and probably several people to move and lift it. As an incentive I also have a radial saw that is fairly easily portable that I want to give away as a package deal to get people to take the big one.

* Donate to your school district's industrial arts program.
* Future tradespeople will spend hours with them.
* It's more than OK if it needs repairs. Fixing is a goal.
* They are always in need of tools.
• Insured staff with insured vehicles can fetch and haul.
* And society gets well-trained workers.
Watty

Post by Watty »

My subdivision has a private Facebook group and physical bulletin board and either of those would quickly get rid of it to someone in the subdivision.

Depending on what you area is like you could also just roll it out to the curb with a "free" sign on it and it might also quickly disappear.

I would just do the table saw by itself. If you include the radial arm saw some people may just want that.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:18 pm Maybe I am overly cautious but I am concerned that someone shows up with a tiny car. How about arranging to meet at a nearby shopping center so I can size them up (maybe pun intended) before taking them to my house?
What is your concern about tiny cars? I don't get it.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

In my neighborhood, I set things on the curb with a free sign and they are gone in 30 minutes.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into donating to school district, friends of neighbors, etc.
oldfatguy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm What is your concern about tiny cars? I don't get it.
See the OP. Recipient would have to move a heavy table saw.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Olemiss540 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm In my neighborhood, I set things on the curb with a free sign and they are gone in 30 minutes.
Yep. I've said goodbye to several old (i.e. very heavy) CRT TVs that way.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Donate to a tool library near you.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

When I get rid of things that are in good shape and have real value I have a local charity come pick it up.

I don't have to deal with it and a good cause gets done much needed income.

You may need to inform them of the weight in case a similar charity for you is unable to handle such a donation.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:07 pm Thanks for the ideas. I will look into donating to school district, friends of neighbors, etc.
oldfatguy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm What is your concern about tiny cars? I don't get it.
But why is that your concern? If someone shows up and can't take it in their vehicle, then you move on to the next person who wants it. How would it be less work for you to meet them in a parking lot first?
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Watty wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:32 pm My subdivision has a private Facebook group and physical bulletin board and either of those would quickly get rid of it to someone in the subdivision.

Depending on what you area is like you could also just roll it out to the curb with a "free" sign on it and it might also quickly disappear.

I would just do the table saw by itself. If you include the radial arm saw some people may just want that.
This. I can't tell you how many times we've done this and stuff goes fast.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Habitat ReStore.

They pick up bulky or heavy stuff, at least in our area.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Sidnaw_kid

Post by Sidnaw_kid »

I second the Habitat ReStore suggestion.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Yes, the Habitat Restore. Call them up and they will come and pick it up.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

bayview wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:31 pm Habitat ReStore.

They pick up bulky or heavy stuff, at least in our area.
Thanks for the suggestion(s). Found one in my Silicon Valley area (San Jose). I will follow up tomorrow.

Agreed that I need to make sure both items are taken at same time.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:07 pm I am garage cleaning and want to give away a table saw. It weighs a lot so recipient has to have access to a truck and probably several people to move and lift it. As an incentive I also have a radial saw that is fairly easily portable that I want to give away as a package deal to get people to take the big one.

Thanks in advance
Yes, Craigslist.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Olemiss540 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm In my neighborhood, I set things on the curb with a free sign and they are gone in 30 minutes.
+1.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Yep, same with us. But one time my pile of stuff had a couple sets of tires added to it. A few days later the tires were gone too. Some of them were mounted on Volvo wheels so it was a find for someone I guess. One day, I started to put out some aluminum combination windows I had replaced and a person was picking them up before I was even finished and helped me carry the rest to the alley.

I went a bakery going out of business sale one time. The best deal going were the big rotary shelf baking ovens. They were priced $1 for the lot, but you carry. The bakery was on the second floor of an old building and the ovens had been originally installed by knocking out and rebuilding the exterior walls.

An accordion player gets a gig in a down and out neighborhood in Chicago. But loading his instrument in his Volkswagen he heads into town. Being early he stops off for a slice near the joint, carefully locking his car. He comes out and finds someone has smashed the window of his car and broken in. In the back seat are crammed three accordions.
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

This is a solid option. I have had chicken wire that was next to my recycling bin at the curb picked up by someone driving around, no more than an hour after I put it there.

--Randy Bo Bandy
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Anything that isn't utterly destroyed gets picked up by flea marketers or scrappers. Wood, metal, plastic, glass, electronics. All year, even winter, as long as snow isn't on the ground.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Teague

Post by Teague »

dual wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:07 pm Thanks for the ideas. I will look into donating to school district, friends of neighbors, etc.
Shows how much I know - I figured clown phobia.

Putting stuff at the curb works great here too. If it doesn't move just replace the "free" sign with one that says "$10.00."
Semper Augustus
nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer »

Put it in the priced section but without a price and say reasonable amount offers accepted if you want to pass it along to someone who will care. I inquired about a similar saw, an old classic Craftsman from the 1950's that had a similar statement and the guy chatted with me for just a few minutes and then surprised me with a "it's yours if you want it" and gave it to me. He had restored it and simply wanted to pass to someone who would appreciate the historical patina of it (which I do).
nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer »

Put it in the priced section but without a price and say reasonable amount offers accepted if you want to pass it along to someone who will care. I inquired about a similar saw, an old classic Craftsman from the 1950's that had a similar statement and the guy chatted with me for just a few minutes and then surprised me with a "it's yours if you want it" and gave it to me. He had restored it and simply wanted to pass to someone who would appreciate the historical patina of it (which I do).
nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer »

Also post them on the garagejournal forum--a DeWalt MBF or similar era radial arm saw is considered a treasure, although all the newer ones (after black and decker bought DeWalt) are considered junk.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I would not put it on the internet, because I don't want to deal with the unknown.
I'd put it on the street and cover it to protect it from the weather...add a "free" sign.
Otherwise, If I couldn't move it, I'd hire someone to take it to the landfill.
I've put some very heavy and awkward stuff on the street, and it all disappeared.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I too don't understand the reasoning behind meeting them at a third location to "size" them up. No money is involved. You would be judging them strictly on looks. Unless you would be bringing the tools to the third location, they will still have to come out to your house to pick it up. So what if they show up in a small car. Again no money is involved and if they want it, they will have to leave and return with a bigger vehicle and more backs. In these types of situations, time is often of the essence in order to secure the deal so I would definitely show up and secure the tool first in whatever vehicle I had before returning with appropriate vehicle and manpower. These things move quick and taking the time to get the necessary labor before securing the deal only assures that you will miss out on the deal.

Like others said, just post on any social media site and you will be inundated with people willing to take it off your hands. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, dragging it to the street and putting a sign on it saying free certainly guarantees it will be soon gone. There is a huge market on used woodworking equipment.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I have sold and given away hundreds of items over the years. I don't like to post anything for free because it tends to attract choosing beggars. For items that I just want gone, I list them at a very attractive price and people are competing to be the first to get it. If I get good vibes from the person I will refuse payment.
Nowadays the most traffic I get are from Facebook (look for local buy/sell groups or groups for handyman/tools, and not Marketplace) and Offerup.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Radial arm saws have been recalled due to being even less safe than table saws. The manufacturer will pay you to return it and pay shipping.

Cue the comments about how they're both totally safe as long as you never ever make a single mistake in their use.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

linuxizer wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:53 am Radial arm saws have been recalled due to...

Cue the comments about how they're both totally safe as long as you never ever make a single mistake in their use.
Um, they’re saws. Of course they are dangerous.

They’ve been recalled because the evaluation has been made that lawsuits will be more expensive than a buy-back.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

I'd put that on craigslist or facebook marketplace and put a price on it. You want someone who is interested and would pay. Then you can give it to them if you want.

Free items are always a gamble if someone will show and putting this on the street doesn't sound like a good option.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I've used facebook marketplace to give away several items - make sure you state item needs to be picked up within 24 hours and will move to next interested person if this doesn't occur. Usually I get responses within minutes - dozens of responses interested - it shocked me the first time. If your area is anything like what I've experienced in my area, the items you mention should easily be gone quickly. (Make sure you also mention in the add that the person is responsible for removal and transportation - item is heavy, etc.).

I am with you on the "free" decision. I don't care if someone is willing to pay me - I don't want anyone coming back to me if it breaks later or doesn't work quite the way they liked (sure they could be sold "as is" such that I would not be liable but don't even want to be bothered with someone unhappy). The trouble isn't worth the few dollars to me. Also - the thank-you's I have gotten from folks looking for items that simply couldn't afford them is priceless.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Both items will be gone as quickly as you wish, especially if you are OK not getting any money for them. It all depends on how much you care about where they end up. We are going through the downsizing/de-cluttering process right now (my wife manages all of the postings/messaging), here is my suggestion.

For table saw and radial saw, I would first ask around - family, friends, neighbors, church, etc. There is a big demand out there, and someone is going to appreciate it a lot. Even your neighbor who is not woodworker himself may want to take it off your hands and store it in his garage if it's free.

Next is charity you care about. The one we use will send the truck to our house and load it up if items are in the driveway as agreed.

If no takers, nextdoor app is next. Put a price on it, don't post it as free. You will get many responses/questions etc. You choose who gets it, don't post your address until they confirm they are coming, they have a truck, and enough bodies to lift it up.

I would be shocked if these saws are still in your possession after these steps. If by miracle they are, facebook marketplace and craigslist are next.
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

Roll the table saw out of the garage onto the driveway close to the street as possible. Make a "FREE" sign large enough to read from the street. In my neighborhood, it would be gone in minutes. Table saws are always in demand. They are not junk. (I'd remove the blade for sure)

Give it a try. What do you have to lose?
Good luck!
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Where I live, if you want to get rid of something, just put it out next to the street. I guarantee you within a couple of hours it will be gone. I had a window air conditioner that I wanted to keep. I put it out next to the street and then went around to the back of my house to get my truck. When I got back around to pick up the A/C it was gone. :(
Slow and steady wins the race.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

You can list it on Facebook Marketplace if you're on Facebook, or Buy Nothing website for your area. Both of my daughters give their big stuff away (furniture, garden pots, etc) through these websites. The "buyer" doesn't receive any personal information about you, except where to pick up the item.
If it's free, and it's good merchandise, you'll have more than one interested party!
For example, oldest daughter just gave a genuine antique French writing desk and a Pennsylvania House block front gentleman's chest away on the Buy Nothing website for her area. The recipients were thrilled, and so was she. (yes, she could have sold both of them, but she gets more satisfaction out of giving things away.)
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

Don't know if it's been posted but do a search to see if there's a fairly close woodworking store or hardwood store that also sells tools. Sometimes they sell used tools on consignment. I'd guess they'd take one for free as well.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I'd say Nextdoor or Facebook with a price. Or call local charities that might make sense.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Flobes wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:30 pm * Donate to your school district's industrial arts program.
* Future tradespeople will spend hours with them.
* It's more than OK if it needs repairs. Fixing is a goal.
* They are always in need of tools.
• Insured staff with insured vehicles can fetch and haul.
* And society gets well-trained workers.
Sadly in my city there are almost none of these programs left. Middle and High schools have eliminated them in favor of pushing STEM classes. I would have loved it if my kids could have taken these classes and gained even a mild interest in fixing things themselves.

I echo other comments on habitat restore...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
queso

Post by queso »

In addition to the options offered up thread I see a lot of folks in my area have success with NextDoor and FreeCycle.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I did this exact thing years ago. People will surely want the table saw if it is functioning. The radial arm saw is not going to be perceived as a bonus. Nobody wants them. Bring the radial arm saw straight to the scrap yard and list the table saw on Craigslist for $20 specifying that a truck or SUV is needed. People who browse the free section are flaky and will waste your time. Charge a very low price and they will show up.
researcher

Post by researcher »

48 posts on this topic over the last 3 days!?!

The OP could have had these items GONE IN 30 MINUTES by simply posting to Craigslist instead of writing about it here.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

researcher wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm 48 posts on this topic over the last 3 days!?!

The OP could have had these items GONE IN 30 MINUTES by simply posting to Craigslist instead of writing about it here.
+1 8-)