Does it make sense to refinance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
DS1986

Does it make sense to refinance?

Post by DS1986 »

Hi, I get very confused when it comes to whether the numbers make sense on a refinance and I was hoping I can get some clarity. I was given a loan estimate as described below.

My current mortgage: 30 year fixed, 3.75%. $382,000 and 25 years left. My P&I is $1908 per month. The Zillow Estimate is $785,000.

Re-finance option 1: 25 year fixed, 2.99%. P&I would be $1833 per month. No closing costs (with lender credit $1800 and waived appraisal fee).
Re-finance option 2: 30 year fixed, 2.99%. P&I would be $1609 per month. No closing costs (with lender credit $1800 and waived appraisal fee).

We plan on staying in the house for another 5 years. Is one option much better than the other? Is it worth refinancing at all? It seems like a no-brainer to at least do the 25 year refi since there are no closing costs, but the 30-year gives me much more cash flow.

Thanks for any help!
mortfree

Re: Does it make sense to refinance?

Post by mortfree »

If you really, truly will only be there for five more years:

I would look into the 30-year.

I would play with the numbers.

Do you want a lower payment or would you rather borrow more (pull money out) and keep your payment the same or close to the same?

Smarter people will be along.
Stats78

Post by Stats78 »

Hi there. Long time reader, first time poster. We just refinanced under a similar situation; we were offered either a 20 year loan at 3% or a 30 year loan at 3% with very similar closing costs. I don't see any reason to take the shorter loan in this situation. Without a pre-payment penalty, you can pay off the 30 year loan in 20 years if you prefer, but you get some extra flexibility for free.
ciscovp

Post by ciscovp »

I would think if the rates are the same then it better to go for the higher year (30 year in this case).
Watty

Post by Watty »

ciscovp wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:27 pm I would think if the rates are the same then it better to go for the higher year (30 year in this case).
+1

You can always go with the 30 year but pay a couple of hundred dollars extra each month. If the rates and closing costs are the same there is no reason to even consider the 25 year mortgage.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Look for 5/1 ARM and 7/1 ARM rates also ...

It does make sense for you to refinance, you are getting a 0.75% break on the interest rate. Since there is no difference between a 25-year and a 30-year mortgage term, I'd go for the longer term.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

You should definitely refinance. In 5 years, you will have paid less P+I and have a smaller mortgage balance.
delamer

Post by delamer »

You’ll have paid down more principal (that is, you’ll have more equity in the house) in 5 years if you go with the 25 year loan.

Just another factor to consider.
Topic Author
DS1986

Post by DS1986 »

delamer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 pm You’ll have paid down more principal (that is, you’ll have more equity in the house) in 5 years if you go with the 25 year loan.

This is what I was thinking about. I will have less equity in the house over the next 5 years, but the increase in cash flow from the 30-year can be used to invest at a hopefully higher than 3% rate of return? I'm gathering from the responses there isn't much of a difference. Basically an increased cash flow vs. decreased equity in the house decision.
Familyman2012

Post by Familyman2012 »

DS1986 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:22 am
delamer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 pm You’ll have paid down more principal (that is, you’ll have more equity in the house) in 5 years if you go with the 25 year loan.

This is what I was thinking about. I will have less equity in the house over the next 5 years, but the increase in cash flow from the 30-year can be used to invest at a hopefully higher than 3% rate of return? I'm gathering from the responses there isn't much of a difference. Basically an increased cash flow vs. decreased equity in the house decision.
I agree with this. But since I don't know really anything about investing :( I'll take the 30 years. Pay a few hundred towards principle (increase equity) every month and sleep comfortable knowing I have flexible from month to month if needed.
delamer

Post by delamer »

DS1986 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:22 am

Even if you’d really invest the difference, the amount is small enough that it isn’t going to have a material impact on your financial well-being.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Watty wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:47 pm
ciscovp wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:27 pm I would think if the rates are the same then it better to go for the higher year (30 year in this case).
+1

You can always go with the 30 year but pay a couple of hundred dollars extra each month. If the rates and closing costs are the same there is no reason to even consider the 25 year mortgage.
This. I would get the 30-year no-cost mortgage and pay $1,833/mo unless you feel better using $200/mo of that elsewhere.