Citi®/AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard-Admiral's Club Refund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MarkerFM

Citi®/AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard-Admiral's Club Refund?

Post by MarkerFM »

We have this card, which costs $450/year but includes an American Airlines Admiral's Club membership, which is worth the annual fee to us especially since all authorized card holders (four of us) have access using the card.

The clubs have been mostly closed for some time and most likely will be for the foreseeable future. So, we are paying for a benefit that we aren't getting. Has anyone had any success getting Citibank to refund part of the fee? The alternative is to downgrade the card and upgrade it again when the clubs are open.
toofache32

Re: Citi®/AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard-Admiral's Club Refund?

Post by toofache32 »

I have a similar credit card with an airline club benefit. I am in disagreement, or maybe I don't understand the complaint. The credit card company didn't close the clubs and has no control over it. Why isn't your beef with the airline clubs? Is it because they are not the ones holding your money? I couldn't drive my car to work while it was closed for COVID19. Should I ask my auto lease company for a refund for that month even though it was out of their control?
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

Citi announced that they will give a $225 statement credit at renewal to make up for not being able to use the club lounges.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

essbeer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm Citi announced that they will give a $225 statement credit at renewal to make up for not being able to use the club lounges.
Perfect. Meet in the middle.
Topic Author
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

essbeer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm Citi announced that they will give a $225 statement credit at renewal to make up for not being able to use the club lounges.
Thanks, I missed that. My renewal fee was charged May 18, but no credit. I probably need to give them a call.
Topic Author
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

MarkerFM wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:02 am
Thanks, I missed that. My renewal fee was charged May 18, but no credit. I probably need to give them a call.
Interesting, I called and got right through to a very helpful agent. She said that they credit the fee for renewals between June 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021, so I would have to wait another year to get a credit. I can downgrade the card and get a full refund so long as I downgrade within 37 days of my renewal.

Does anyone see any reason not to downgrade? The only wrinkle is changing all recurring billing. When things open up again, I can re-upgrade.