COVID related charitable contributions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sean.mcgrath

COVID related charitable contributions

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat May 30, 2020 4:57 am

Since our spending is way down while other people are having difficult times, we've been donating the "excess" to various charities (local food bank, Oxfam, WHO, Doctors without Borders and a local group that helps immigrants).

I'm pretty happy with the choices, but am always impressed with the variety of inputs on this forum. I've seen other posts and the Fidelity link, but rather US focused + ones I'm already aware of.

We're more focused on giving to developing countries than ones which have the resources to help their population. Does anyone have recommendations from what they are doing?

Rainier

Re: COVID related charitable contributions

Post by Rainier » Sat May 30, 2020 5:00 am

You can donate to the WHO? Is that a qualified US charity? Sounds a bit like donating to the UN.

Just be wary of donating to foreign entities. You must donate to their US arm if you want a charitable deduction, many foreign charities will have a US presence for just this reason.

Topic Author
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 am

Rainier wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:00 am
You can donate to the WHO? Is that a qualified US charity? Sounds a bit like donating to the UN.

Just be wary of donating to foreign entities. You must donate to their US arm if you want a charitable deduction, many foreign charities will have a US presence for just this reason.
Yes, you can donate to the WHO and (I believe) it is tax deductible in the US. Actually, we don't let taxes dictate our charitable giving -- about 1/3 of our donations do not get claimed as deductions (we live in the Netherlands, but support some charities in our home countries).

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat May 30, 2020 5:50 am

I only give to local charity. I like to see what they do and in non=pandemic times, I go and visit. I'd consider boys/girls clubs in the area. My neighbor does volunteer work for the Fisher House Foundation which helps military families with housing while their family member gets medical care at a VA or DoD medical center. Your local school system might have a fund to buy sports equipment and uniforms; parents dealing with financial problems might not be able to afford the items their kids need for sports this summer and during the school year.

https://fisherhouse.org/programs/houses ... locations/

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat May 30, 2020 7:12 am

I asked this question when we got our stimulus check and got surprisingly few answers. We donated to Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, CDC COVID19 fund, local food bank, and our local community foundation COVID19 relief fund.

Winnie

Post by Winnie » Sat May 30, 2020 7:21 am

These are the two we support:
Haitichildren.org-based out of Colorado. 100% of the donation goes to program. Founders and board pay administrative expenses.
Mercy ships- Amazing what volunteers from around the world can accomplish and how they change lives.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sat May 30, 2020 7:39 am

Local food banks, homeless shelters, and the center for disaster philanthropy, and GiveDirectly Inc (links below). Personally, I find the donations of PPE and food and snacks directly to hospitals very rewarding and useful.

https://disasterphilanthropy.org/cdp-fu ... onse-fund/

https://www.givedirectly.org
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"