How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
heartwood
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by heartwood » Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm

I've search the blog and don't see a current evaluation of the Amazon Prime Visa. I'd like to get feedback from BHs who have the card. Online reviews at Amazon are of concern if real.

Amazon Whole Foods Delivery came to my town in May. I've used it twice and been very satisfied. Place an order on the Amazon WF online screen, the "two hour" delivery was 3 hours the first time, 4 hours the second time, same day. I can't get a slot for delivery or pickup at any other local stores for anything in the next week. Selection and quality are very good. Delivery is free. Tips are suggested and added subject to edit.

We're frequent Amazon shoppers and now the WF delivery makes us consider getting the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card. As I understand it, if you have Prime membership they rebate 5% of Amazon and WF purchases. I was looking to see if they do a hard pull, if they give a sign-on bonus, etc.

I eventually wound up here where many recent and overall product reviews are bad or worse:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rew ... geNumber=1

So any BH experiences with the card? Do I have to unlock my credit? Is there a sign-up bonus? I've quickly looked at Dr of Credit and others and its not clear to me. But a big question is the above reviews.

Kaizen Soze
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Kaizen Soze » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm

It's been a great card for us. We were already paying for Prime before getting the card, so throw-in 5% cash back and a sign-up bonus, and it's a no-brainer. We haven't had any issues. We use the card at WF but not for WF delivery. Also Prime Video has some good shows.

I assume you have to unlock your credit for any new credit.
Edit: Hard pull when got it in 2018.
Last edited by Kaizen Soze on Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arf30
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by arf30 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

This is our main card as we're heavy Amazon and Whole Foods delivery users. We have the "good version" serviced by Chase. No issues with the card, it works as advertised. The sign up bonus seems to fluctuate over time.

User avatar
bluquark
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by bluquark » Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 pm

I've been using this card for Amazon purchases (and as my primary card for non-Amazon purchases for a few years) for about a decade now, auto-paying it out of a checking account from a non-Chase bank. I never had a single problem. I'd assume the negative reviews are outliers because the vast majority of people who had a good experience don't think of reviewing their credit card.

The 5% cashback is fairly easy to get out of it either by using it on Amazon (albeit minorly suboptimal as you don't get another 5% on that) or from the Chase website by applying it to the credit card balance.

I got it a long time ago and don't remember if it "hard pulled" me (I would assume it does one, like most credit card applications), and I think if there were a signup bonus, it would be prominently advertised so we can assume there isn't one.
Last edited by bluquark on Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB

Afty
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Afty » Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 pm

I've had this card for a couple years now and have been happy with it. It does what it is supposed to do -- gives me 5% cash back at Amazon and Whole Foods. I can't comment on sign up bonuses or whether they do a hard pull.

stan1
Posts: 8540
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by stan1 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 pm

It's a Chase card so its just like getting any other Chase credit card.

I've had it since it first came out. 5% back at Amazon works well for us as we buy more there than we do at Costco, Walmart, or Target.

I use it at Amazon/WF (5% back) and restaurants (3% back).

My only customer service interaction with Chase is removing fraudulent charges, which happens 1-2 times per year since I use the card at sit down restaurants. Those situations have always been handled promptly.
Last edited by stan1 on Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go140point6
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by go140point6 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:20 pm

It's a Visa with no foreign transaction fees also... which is nice if you travel (lol... who travels now, right?). It's been my go-to card ever since they added that benefit.

sycamore
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by sycamore » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I use it and like it. 5% for amazon purchases is good. 2% for restaurants, gas stations, and drug stores. 1% elsewhere.
If you don't mind tracking multiple cards, it's a good one if Amazon purchases are a decent-size part of overall spending. If not, you could get more cashback simply using a 2% across the board cashback card.

Don't redeem your reward directly for purchases at Amazon. Instead redeem as statement credit to maximize rewards on spending.

No signup bonus presently. https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/amazon

Edit: other postings indicate a $70 bonus so check into that. I just don't see it mentioned on the chase web page.
Last edited by sycamore on Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Toons » Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Works Great For Us.
5% back
We shop Amazon.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

knowledge
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by knowledge » Tue May 26, 2020 6:33 pm

I've had it for a couple of years with no issues. It gives you 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods with no annual fee (as a prime member), which is a good chunk of our spending typically, and is even more pronounced today. No complaints - It delivers on its promise.

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by MP123 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:39 pm

It works as advertised for me. 5% back on Amazon purchases adds up if you buy from them a lot, as we do.

I did have to unlock credit at one of the bureaus briefly. My initial online application was denied because it was locked. Calling Chase and unlocking with their rep on the line was very easy, approved right away.

Robert_007
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Robert_007 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I love this card. We get 70-110 bucks of amazon credit every month bc of the 5 percent back. It adds up with a family of 4. People also live the chase sapphire or Costco credit card as well.

Jags4186
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 pm

You should get the American Express version of this card as it comes with a $225 sign up bonus. The Chase version only comes with $70. Rewards are the pretty much the same (5% amazon/Whole Foods, 2% restaurants, gas, and cell phone instead of drug stores, 1% elsewhere).

User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by anon_investor » Tue May 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Had this card for a long time 0 issues.

User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by gwe67 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 pm

I didn't see a hard pull, but I only looked at TransUnion. Equifax is still illegally preventing me from getting my free credit report. But, I digress...

I got $70 off the first purchase. Would have gone with AMEX if I had known about the $225 offer.

Wonder if Amazon is going to rebate some of the prime membership fee since 2-day delivery is not happening? Delivery now seems to take about 7 days.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

dukeblue219
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 pm

I've had this card for at least a decade. Zero issues. I mean, it's a basic 1% cash back no fee card issued by a good bank and a good processor. What issues could there be? Even when I've disputed a bad charge or had a compromised number its been clean and simple with a new card overnighted for free.

We use it at Amazon and Whole Foods a lot, and only recently adopted the Bank of America Premium Rewards card as our everyday generic card.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4475
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Stinky » Tue May 26, 2020 7:20 pm

It’s a credit card.

It works for me. No issues.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

DetroitRick
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:28 am
Location: SE Michigan

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by DetroitRick » Tue May 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Opened mine January 2017. Never had an issue, completely happy with it, nothing bad to say. We buy a lot through Amazon, have Prime, and already had accounts with Chase - so it was perfect fit.

%5 rewards Amazon/Whole Foods (with Prime), 2% gas stations/restaurants/drugstores, 1% everywhere else. When I take rewards, I can always count on them hitting my bank account w/i 2 business days, sometimes 1. And of course, there are other ways to use those rewards if you prefer.

Kaizen Soze
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Kaizen Soze » Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Robert_007 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm
I love this card. We get 70-110 bucks of amazon credit every month bc of the 5 percent back. It adds up with a family of 4. People also live the chase sapphire or Costco credit card as well.
Woah! Say an average of $90 (70-110), that's $1.8k in spending at Amazon/WF per month, $21.6k/yr? How frequent are your deliveries?

muffins14
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by muffins14 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Works fine for us. We typically use the 5% back as credits for making other amazon purchases and it’s seamless.

One very annoying change that happened to me was that they recently lowered my balance from 80k to 40k because “I was not using all of my balance”. Not sure that would happen as easily if you were on one of chases more “prestigious” cards

User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by anon_investor » Tue May 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Kaizen Soze wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm
Robert_007 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:44 pm
I love this card. We get 70-110 bucks of amazon credit every month bc of the 5 percent back. It adds up with a family of 4. People also live the chase sapphire or Costco credit card as well.
Woah! Say an average of $90 (70-110), that's $1.8k in spending at Amazon/WF per month, $21.6k/yr? How frequent are your deliveries?
That's plausible if you literally ordering everything from Amazon, which is quite possible now a days.

renegade06
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by renegade06 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Great card - I use it for all Amazon and Whole Foods purchases.

renegade06
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by renegade06 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Great card - I use it for all Amazon and Whole Foods purchases.

Elena
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Elena » Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm

My physical card is made of metal, so when they sent me a new one I could not shred the old one and had to drill it. Other than that, it is just like any other card.

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by MP123 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Elena wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm
My physical card is made of metal, so when they sent me a new one I could not shred the old one and had to drill it. Other than that, it is just like any other card.
Yes, these new credit cards without raised embossed numbers are a sign of the times. No more credit card imprint machines or paper slips.

I'm assuming they've truly disappeared in all parts of the world but that could possibly be an issue with the Prime card if you're off the beaten path.

bayview
Posts: 2219
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: WNC

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by bayview » Tue May 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Perfectly happy with mine, and we use it a lot.

We also have the “store” card, through Synchrony. We never had problems, but plenty of others have. Synchrony has truly dreadful CS on this card, although it seems fine on Lowe’s etc.

Both have 5% cash back (store card only for Amazon purchases).
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Elena
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Elena » Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 pm

MP123 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:42 pm
Elena wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm
My physical card is made of metal, so when they sent me a new one I could not shred the old one and had to drill it. Other than that, it is just like any other card.
Yes, these new credit cards without raised embossed numbers are a sign of the times. No more credit card imprint machines or paper slips.

I'm assuming they've truly disappeared in all parts of the world but that could possibly be an issue with the Prime card if you're off the beaten path.
I did have a hard time destroying the thing without amputating a finger. I reckon they are metal as a status symbol, but they do not realize that what I really need is not better status but less work!

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by LilyFleur » Wed May 27, 2020 2:45 am

I use it for all my Amazon purchases, but not for anything else. No problems.

Good idea posted in this thread to use the credits on the bill statement instead of for purchasing items.

frankandbeans
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by frankandbeans » Wed May 27, 2020 6:15 am

We have the "store card" version through Synchrony. One big advantage of that card is that the transaction line includes item description so I can match the charge up with the purchase on e.g. Mint. That single benefit has stopped me from switching to the Chase card (which I assume doesn't do this).

Have never had to contact customer service, so have no comment on customer service complaints re Synchrony.

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed May 27, 2020 7:25 am

Which one of the versions does Amazon routinely offer discounted pricing for? Not just the 5%, but when extra discounts or special prices are only available for cardholders. Are those for all versions of the card?

User avatar
Topic Author
heartwood
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by heartwood » Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks all. Based on comments from you I'd guess the bad reviews I linked to are bogus or unusual.

I did check for the AMEX Amazon card but it seems to be Business card requiring Business Prime and $3000 spending in the first 3 months in the 2% and 1% categories to get the sign up bonus.

I plan to apply for the Prime Rewards Visa.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

We are heavy users of Amazon.com so the card has been terrific.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

sam1838
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:28 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by sam1838 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:24 am

This page describes the benefits, it's pretty simple:
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16070413011

In person, it's a handsome black metal card that is not embarrassing to pull out in front of people or hand to a cashier/waiter.

Anytime I see a person using a card with 1% rewards for whatever they are buying, I do judge them a little... so pair it with a Citi Double Cash for other categories.

DaftInvestor
Posts: 5391
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 am

Pretty simple - IF you are a Prime member you get the card you get 5% cash back on Amazon purchases and at Whole Foods.
We got the card a few years ago - only use it at Whole Foods and Amazon (simply saved the card into Amazon so its the only one we use there).

Why do the negative reviews concern you? It seems most are complaints about the interest rate - you should pay your balance every month so the interest rate won't matter (I haven't paid attention to the interest rates in years - I assume most reward cards have high rates but who cares - don't pay them - pay it off monthly - if you can't afford to do so don't spend).
Other than folks who can't control their spending/cash-flow complaining about bad interest rates I see one person complained about them dropping from 5% back to 3% back. I don't understand this - perhaps the person stopped their Prime membership not understanding the 5% back is if you are a Prime member. I also see people mad because they were denied the card (you don't know their real scores nor how many other Chase cards they might already hold) or didn't get the amount of credit they hoped for. Chase is solid - don't hesitate based upon the bad reviews - they are likely folks with poor spending habits and bad credit scores. (EDIT ADD: One person also complained about a bad web-site and not being able to see their purchases. This is simply NOT true. Like every other credit card you can see "Pending" and final transactions in near-real-time. In the App you can also set up notification (let me know if I get a charge of greater than XX dollars) - App also solid. If you have multiple Chase cards you can see them all with one login which is also convenient.

wfrobinette
Posts: 1103
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm

heartwood wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm
I've search the blog and don't see a current evaluation of the Amazon Prime Visa. I'd like to get feedback from BHs who have the card. Online reviews at Amazon are of concern if real.

Amazon Whole Foods Delivery came to my town in May. I've used it twice and been very satisfied. Place an order on the Amazon WF online screen, the "two hour" delivery was 3 hours the first time, 4 hours the second time, same day. I can't get a slot for delivery or pickup at any other local stores for anything in the next week. Selection and quality are very good. Delivery is free. Tips are suggested and added subject to edit.

We're frequent Amazon shoppers and now the WF delivery makes us consider getting the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card. As I understand it, if you have Prime membership they rebate 5% of Amazon and WF purchases. I was looking to see if they do a hard pull, if they give a sign-on bonus, etc.

I eventually wound up here where many recent and overall product reviews are bad or worse:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rew ... geNumber=1

So any BH experiences with the card? Do I have to unlock my credit? Is there a sign-up bonus? I've quickly looked at Dr of Credit and others and its not clear to me. But a big question is the above reviews.
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.
So it’s only the store card version that has the special deals then? Or does it alternate or something like that?

remomnyc
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by remomnyc » Wed May 27, 2020 12:58 pm

We got the card last fall because we had to unfreeze our credit for a mortgage anyway, and it is a free card since we already pay for Prime. Since we got it, I started shopping at Whole Foods, lured by the prime specials for meat and produce. I discovered their store brand 365 Everyday has good quality, well priced basics (olive oil, eggs, beans, broth, etc) as well. We already get 6% off groceries with Amex, but that caps out at $6k, so getting 5% off the rest of our groceries is a great deal.

wfrobinette
Posts: 1103
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.
So it’s only the store card version that has the special deals then? Or does it alternate or something like that?
You can get no interest on large purchases and things like that. Nothing spectacular.

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.
So it’s only the store card version that has the special deals then? Or does it alternate or something like that?
You can get no interest on large purchases and things like that. Nothing spectacular.
Hmm. I’m going to have to ask the next time I see people posting about special pricing for Amazon cardholders. I’ve seen people talk about where the item pricing is actually different than what I could get (and we aren’t talking about timing gyrations in Amazon pricing). But I didn’t know back then there are different flavors of the card to ask about.

From a recent post where I saw this:
Note, Amazon Prime credit card holders may also receive 15% back on this purchase
At check out it shows: Prime Card Bonus Offer: Get 5% Back, and additional 10% Back on the amount charged to this card

frankandbeans
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by frankandbeans » Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.
So it’s only the store card version that has the special deals then? Or does it alternate or something like that?
You can get no interest on large purchases and things like that. Nothing spectacular.
Hmm. I’m going to have to ask the next time I see people posting about special pricing for Amazon cardholders. I’ve seen people talk about where the item pricing is actually different than what I could get (and we aren’t talking about timing gyrations in Amazon pricing). But I didn’t know back then there are different flavors of the card to ask about.

From a recent post where I saw this:
Note, Amazon Prime credit card holders may also receive 15% back on this purchase
At check out it shows: Prime Card Bonus Offer: Get 5% Back, and additional 10% Back on the amount charged to this card
Such offers appear not infrequently for the Store Card. I cannot speak to whether Chase card members are also eligible.

wfrobinette
Posts: 1103
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm
I have it but use the Amazon store card more often as there are special deals from time to time. I have better cards for other purchases.
So it’s only the store card version that has the special deals then? Or does it alternate or something like that?
You can get no interest on large purchases and things like that. Nothing spectacular.
Hmm. I’m going to have to ask the next time I see people posting about special pricing for Amazon cardholders. I’ve seen people talk about where the item pricing is actually different than what I could get (and we aren’t talking about timing gyrations in Amazon pricing). But I didn’t know back then there are different flavors of the card to ask about.

From a recent post where I saw this:
Note, Amazon Prime credit card holders may also receive 15% back on this purchase
At check out it shows: Prime Card Bonus Offer: Get 5% Back, and additional 10% Back on the amount charged to this card
I think there are kickers like that but I never really look for them as it usually leads me to buy more crap I don't really need. If it's there it's there. I think I ened up there at one point because I was buying something large and they had a 0 interest for 6 months if I took that card plus there was a save another $x or so by getting it. It's a synchrony(old GE capital) card.

Jags4186
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 pm

heartwood wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 am
Thanks all. Based on comments from you I'd guess the bad reviews I linked to are bogus or unusual.

I did check for the AMEX Amazon card but it seems to be Business card requiring Business Prime and $3000 spending in the first 3 months in the 2% and 1% categories to get the sign up bonus.

I plan to apply for the Prime Rewards Visa.
Just to clarify, you do not need an Amazon Business Prime account to get an AMEX Business Prime card. You need either a personal or business prime account. Additionally, the bonus is broken up as follows $125 Amazon gift card just for signing up (vs. $70 with Chase) and an additional $100 after spending $3000 in the 2% and 1% categories. Even if you don’t plan on using it for anything but Amazon and Whole Foods it’s a $55 better Option than the Chase card.

Post Reply