Simple jobs during FATFire?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tibbitts

Re: Simple jobs during FATFire?

Post by tibbitts »

wootwoot wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 pm OP greeter at Walmart or get a job at Home Depot.
The last I'd heard Walmart had done away with greeters, and replaced them with "hosts" having many more job respsonsibilities. I really don't believe 98% of Bogleheads have the mindset that would allow them to last more than a day or two at an entry-level retail position.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

tibbitts wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pmI really don't believe 98% of Bogleheads have the mindset that would allow them to last more than a day or two at an entry-level retail position.
That might be a non-representative view rather than what 98% of all Bogleheads actually do believe and or feel.

There are a myriad of reasons people who have reached FI continue to work (in our out of their former professions), many of them having nothing to do with money. Having viewed our grandparents, parents, and many friends over the years - we would never discount things such as the social aspect, routine, mental challenge, sense of identity and purpose, etc... . At least enough to not make a blanket statement such as I really don't believe 98% of Bogleheads have the mindset that would allow them to last more than a day or two at an entry-level retail position.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

fatFIRE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:49 pm
New Providence wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:43 pm
JD2775 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 am FIRE, FATFire, Barista FIRE, Morbidly Obese FIRE.....

Don't people just "retire" anymore?
Indeed, it is very confusing that some aim for Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE) but are concerned about not having a job after retiring. The point of FIRE is precisely not having to worry about having a job. Maybe FIRE is not for you if your aim is to work until late in life??? :confused
Many of us have assumptions in our discussions that admittedly should probably be clarified and brought up early. This is quite common in the FIRE community. It's a rabbit hole that many discussions eventually go to.

The biggest split in the FIRE camp and from the posts here, is that some of us like myself see it as FIre. We are more concerned with FI than to actually retire early. For myself, I actually don't plan to quit my job after I reach FI. FI simply gives you options... an option to take a break, an option to walk away, an option not not play politics... FI seekers are looking for options and financial power, not to retire. Then, there is the other camp which admittedly is probably the larger one popularized by those FIRE bloggers. These are the fiRE people, whose main goal is to reach FI so that they can quit their jobs entirely. These are the ones who are unhappy and want out of their day jobs. I will agree with the criticisms that many of these fiRE people are simply switching from a W-2 job they hate to freelance and small-business but still insist on calling it retirement.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense and now I better understand the initial question.

I think that FI certainly is very helpful in terms of providing "options" when it comes to the type of jobs one takes. Another factor, as important, is Health Insurance. People would gain significant more agency in their lives if universal healthcare was a available.