1:1 salary and stock jobs?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
drk

Re: 1:1 salary and stock jobs?

Post by drk » Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 pm
Sort of. They're small (~1000 engineers) and only hire engineers who would be staff engineers or higher at peer companies.

Literally nobody else in the Valley runs their engineering org like Netflix.

Given that tech stocks have generally been pretty hot, an engineer with competing offers from Netflix and Google/Facebook probably would've made *more* money declining the Netflix offer.
Hence "exception that proves the rule."

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 pm

I thought Netflix gave employees the option to take some or all of their comp as options?

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:35 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:28 pm
JD2775 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:21 am
Here are the midpoint base salaries for my SF based tech company.

Sr. Analyst: 100k
Manager: 145k
Sr. Manager: 180k
Director: 220k
Sr. Director: 260k

On top of this, software engineers are granted shares worth 300 - 400% of their base salary when they join, vesting over four years. With stock appreciation, the $ amount of the shares vesting annually can equal or exceed their base salary.

In addition to the stock you get at joining, you would also get “refresher” grants every six to twelve months. The rationale for this is so your stocks don’t “run out” at the end of the initial four year grant. But it also has the effect of layering on even more compensation in those first four years.

Non-software engineers also get stock, but at a much lower rate. I work in a business function and when I joined I received only 80% of my base salary as stock (vesting over four years, so 20% of my salary in stock vesting per year). But with refreshers and stock appreciation my annual vesting stock is now close to 80% of my base salary, which itself has increased around 10% per year.

All of this is standard across Silicon Valley, except that many companies will substitute a cash bonus for some of the stock. Total compensation will be equivalent however.
Just out of curiosity, is that "Sr Analyst" referring to Business or Data?
It's a role level, not a functional indicator. It could be an HR Sr Analyst.
Got it, thanks for the clarification

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Wed May 27, 2020 11:53 am

At my fortune 100 company (not tech), one must be at the VP level or above to have variable comp of 100% or more of base

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am
calvin+hobbes wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 am
So let’s say you are due 150k in vested stock for a given year. Do you simply receive the number of shares that corresponds to that compensation on that specific date and then you’re on your own to decide to hold, sell, etc.? Does the share price that day become your basis? Do most employees “buy and hold” their vested shares or cash out and diversify? Seems like you would be making a bet of sorts on your company performance either way.
For RSU you're due a number of shares, not dollar amount. Yes, yes, don't know.
That were usually based on a dollar amount to begin with.

simas

Post by simas » Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 pm

calvin+hobbes wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 am
So let’s say you are due 150k in vested stock for a given year. Do you simply receive the number of shares that corresponds to that compensation on that specific date and then you’re on your own to decide to hold, sell, etc.? Does the share price that day become your basis? Do most employees “buy and hold” their vested shares or cash out and diversify? Seems like you would be making a bet of sorts on your company performance either way.
each year, if selected to participate in equity awards, you receive calculated out of pool of X dollars with market price of the stock at the time of the grant . it could be RSU, options , or both. in my megacorp case it was typically 75% RSUs 25% options, with 4 year vesting schedule

here is a hypothetical example , you receive a grant of 80k worth of equity (of which $60k stock and 20k are options based on 75/25 ratio) with market stock price of $10/share. for RSUs, the grant gives you 1500 shares of stock ( 60k /4 years/$10 share price) 12, 24,36, 48 months from the date of the grant.
stock price went to $25/share - you still receive your 1500 shares through RSU, they just worth more
stock price went down to $5/share - you still receive your 1500 shares through RSU, they just worth less
while you are waiting on them to vest, our megacorp payed payments in lieu of dividends (equivalent to dividend payments on common stock per share)

you walked away from the corp -> unvested items vent bye-bye (with few exceptions)
every year you get some amount at price fixed at that time
every year you have vesting of items granted previously
we (as management team) also spaced the grants so they are not all in single time of the year (so you vest, sell, and run away) and create multiple vesting events in a year so you know if I stay just for X months more I get Y (if I walk away I get nothing). Standard retention practice.

for special situations we had extra pools of money/equity stretched out at times we want to make it worth for you to stick around . if you are considered key to specific project or initiative, we wanted to take care of you . vast majority of rank and file never truly saw any equity comp and got the base + small bonus and was happy with it..

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu May 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Just interviewed somebody today with 8 years of experience since college, currently manages a small team of data analysts. No MBA or masters of any kind.

She’s making $200k base + $150k RSUs per year.

You just don’t see these kind of numbers for comparable roles in any other industry...

Topic Author
Picasso

Post by Picasso » Thu May 28, 2020 3:51 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:08 pm
Just interviewed somebody today with 8 years of experience since college, currently manages a small team of data analysts. No MBA or masters of any kind.

You just don’t see these kind of numbers for comparable roles in any other industry...
That’s true. Those numbers are excellent for that experience.

calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes » Thu May 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Is 350k out of the realm for finance/investment banking jobs? I know some people who started working for big name NYC firms right out of college without an extra degree but perhaps they’re the exception.

Topic Author
Picasso

Post by Picasso » Thu May 28, 2020 4:22 pm

I mean, I also know 30 yr olds pulling down 500k in big law, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Also, finance jobs are all over the place from what I understand: 70k-1M+ by 30 yrs old.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm

calvin+hobbes wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:14 pm
Is 350k out of the realm for finance/investment banking jobs? I know some people who started working for big name NYC firms right out of college without an extra degree but perhaps they’re the exception.
Let me qualify my post: in terms of corporate jobs, other than tech, $350k is out of the realm of possibility for anyone with 8 years work experience who is working less than 80 hours a week.

SubPar

Post by SubPar » Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

calvin+hobbes wrote:
No, but I'm sure it likely comes with the stress you'd expect to accompany that kind of money at a relatively young age. I live in the Midwest, so relatively modest COL comparatively, and worked for a mid-size hedge fund manager...some of the analysts (early 30-somethings) were likely sniffing that comp all-in when the funds were performing. Those guys also worked practically every weekend. But an early 30-something FP&A Manager ain't even coming close, obviously.

I have an old high school friend that ended up a DE Shaw, whom I'm sure is clearing that (and more). Though, he's got the typical pedigree you'd expect -- Yale undergrad, Wharton/Harvard dual-degree grad school.

fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE » Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

Kind of non-sequitur... but how as the interviewer do you know about the salary details of the person you are interviewing?

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 pm

fatFIRE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

Kind of non-sequitur... but how as the interviewer do you know about the salary details of the person you are interviewing?
We are in the offer stage and she volunteered it. She might be lying but given our experience with where she is at now it passes the sniff test.

fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm
calvin+hobbes wrote:
Let me qualify my post: in terms of corporate jobs, other than tech, $350k is out of the realm of possibility for anyone with 8 years work experience who is working less than 80 hours a week.
Not sure how many hrs IBers work, but I'm guessing it's close to 80hrs, but not exceeding that? If so, then $350k with 8 yoe is definitely possible.

Also MBB consultants can do that with 8 yoe, provided you survive long enough:
https://managementconsulted.com/consult ... consulted/

With max performance it's possible to hit $350k with 3-4 yoe at MBB firms.
After 4 yoe, you will definitely hit $350k if you're still in MBB. Also if you are managed out just before 4 yoe, you'll usually land a cushy job (less hours) with similar TC around $300k.

But I agree that tech salaries are good and arguably have the best TC/hr worked ratio provided you join the upper-tier FAANG companies. I am of course biased because I work in this sector, and actually made an intentional effort to pivot to tech.
Last edited by fatFIRE on Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 pm
fatFIRE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

We are in the offer stage and she volunteered it. She might be lying but given our experience with where she is at now it passes the sniff test.
Wow... I guess she blinked first.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm

fatFIRE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm
calvin+hobbes wrote:
Not sure how many hrs IBers work, but I'm guessing it's close to 80hrs, but not exceeding that? If so, then $350k with 8 yoe is definitely possible.

Also MBB consultants can do that with 8 yoe, provided you survive long enough:
https://managementconsulted.com/consult ... consulted/

With max performance it's possible to hit $350k with 3-4 yoe at MBB firms.
After 4 yoe, you will definitely hit $350k if you're still in MBB. Also if you are managed out just before 4 yoe, you'll usually land a cushy job (less hours) with similar TC

But I agree that tech salaries are good and arguably have the best TC/hr worked ratio provided you join the upper-tier FAANG companies.
MBB consultants work close to 80 hours a week, and more if you include travel time.

But I think that misses the point of this post. The point is that jobs with significant equity compensation have significant growth potential relatively independent of what kind of work you do and how you do it. I can’t think of another job where an analyst starts off making $100k and ends up at $400k through no effort of her own.

fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm
But I think that misses the point of this post. The point is that jobs with significant equity compensation have significant growth potential relatively independent of what kind of work you do and how you do it. I can’t think of another job where an analyst starts off making $100k and ends up at $400k through no effort of her own.
That is true, but it cuts both ways. The $100k RSU can become $50k just as easily as it can become $200k. There's a lot of recency bias in tech with the crazy growth in FAANG stock prices. But I agree, when it works for your benefit... it REAAALLLY WORKS.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm

fatFIRE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
That is true, but it cuts both ways. The $100k RSU can become $50k just as easily as it can become $200k. There's a lot of recency bias in tech with the crazy growth in FAANG stock prices. But I agree, when it works for your benefit... it REAAALLLY WORKS.
My employer's stock has yo-yo'd wildly while I've been there. The volatility works both ways.

In our case the stock price plunged 50% after I joined. That meant my refresher grants were based on a much lower stock price. As the price recovered the grants doubled in value.

(Yes, there's luck involved there)

The broader point is that refresher grants are based on the present value. Initial grants fall in value but later grants bring your total value back up to your target comp level. If the price climbs from there, those refresher grants are worth even more.

Topic Author
Picasso

Post by Picasso » Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm

I think the next question I have is: coming from a background in healthcare product development, how do I position myself to get one of these jobs at a tech company?

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Picasso wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm
I think the next question I have is: coming from a background in healthcare product development, how do I position myself to get one of these jobs at a tech company?
First question is which companies should you put on your short list. Id recommend any that are on this list:

https://www.bvp.com/bvp-nasdaq-emerging-cloud-index

Next question is do you want to leverage your industry or functional expertise. If the former, the biggest publicly traded healthcare cloud company I know of is Veeva Systems. If the latter, well maybe someone else can help you out there. Don’t know if device product development translates into software.

Good luck! Honestly I feel everyone who wants to accelerate their earning potential should be giving these cloud companies a shot.

fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE » Thu May 28, 2020 10:42 pm

Picasso wrote:
For research scientist position, you are out of luck unless you have a CS background. You may hit jackpot if you can convince FAANG-level companies to hire you for your domain expertise. Many tech companies do collaboration with healthcare... so maybe get yourself collaborating with a tech person and work the connections. I will emphasize this will be the jackpot route.

For software engineering position, you just need leetcode power. Think of it as SAT for programmers. Just grind through questions. Your biggest trouble will be getting past the resume screeners, since you don't have a CS background.

For data science / analytics position, you need some to many leetcode power depending on the company. The biggest issue now is that entry-level positions are flooded, it will be harder to break in. What you can do now, is pivot in your current company, get the right title and seniority then trying interviewing. That is what I did. I requested a title change from 'Physicist' to 'Data Scientist', and got a promotion to Senior-level just before going on the market.

For PM positions, I have no idea, but that's the least technically inclined out of all the positions I've listed. So you may want to look into this if you think you are not quantitatively-inclined.

It's also not uncommon to have stepping stones, and that was my fall back plan. Getting a job in any tech company even the lower tier ones, regardless of pay would be a move in the right direction. Get 1-2 year of experience and then start interviewing again. Sometimes, it's too difficult to make such a large leap in a single step.
Last edited by fatFIRE on Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Thu May 28, 2020 10:43 pm

Picasso wrote:
If willing to go for lotto ticket instead, a biotech startup in Bay Area. If not, some biotech/pharma companies are starting to value technologists more (software engineer, data engineer, data scientists) and are at least closer to a tech company salary. Still not the same but the discrepancy is shrinking

Edit: or go work in a Heathcare vertical in a b2b/cloud tech company that needs the domain expertise for their clients.

Topic Author
Picasso

Post by Picasso » Fri May 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Thank you! I’m looking forward to researching all of these options

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 am

My first hand experience in mega corps in a variety of industry lies is that the first level of true executive is when you get your first rsus and them + bonus tends to be at 1:1 to base.

Then as you go up (keep in mind there isn’t much “up” left; maybe 2-3 promos and you’re up for the ceo job), they go to 1.5:1 or 2:1. The ceo direct reports are often 5:1 or so and the ceo is often 10:1.

So yeah it goes up and it goes up fast but it takes a long time and has an element of luck to it. Lots of luck in some cases.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Sat May 30, 2020 8:32 am

2tall4economy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 am
My first hand experience in mega corps in a variety of industry lies is that the first level of true executive is when you get your first rsus and them + bonus tends to be at 1:1 to base.

Then as you go up (keep in mind there isn’t much “up” left; maybe 2-3 promos and you’re up for the ceo job), they go to 1.5:1 or 2:1. The ceo direct reports are often 5:1 or so and the ceo is often 10:1.

So yeah it goes up and it goes up fast but it takes a long time and has an element of luck to it. Lots of luck in some cases.
Love the phrase "true executive." DH's last promotion made him technically an executive, which gave us a bump in certain benefits ( better dental, vision and charity matching). There is nothing executive about the title, he has no direct reports and they aren't required to get his next promotion, many people finish out their careers with this title. And no, RSUs + bonus are not equal to salary.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat May 30, 2020 10:58 am

2tall4economy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 am

In tech org structures tend to be very flat. My employer has >5000 employees and as an IC with no reports, there are only 3 people between me and the CEO (my manager, the org's engineering director, CTO). Promotions within a functional career ladder don't change that.

At least on the product engineering side of the company, there are no positions more than 3-4 people away from the CEO on the org chart.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:20 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm
fatFIRE wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
My employer's stock has yo-yo'd wildly while I've been there. The volatility works both ways.

In our case the stock price plunged 50% after I joined. That meant my refresher grants were based on a much lower stock price. As the price recovered the grants doubled in value.

(Yes, there's luck involved there)

The broader point is that refresher grants are based on the present value. Initial grants fall in value but later grants bring your total value back up to your target comp level. If the price climbs from there, those refresher grants are worth even more.
Exactly. The last two companies I joined, the existing RSUs were worth a fraction and PSUs and Options were so far out of the money that they were worthless with no chance of ever coming back. Individuals lost hundreds of thousands or millions of "compensation" in the past few years. In both cases I joined at the bottom and did fairly well (I suppose that's not coincidence - low stock prices tend to super-charge external hiring). These things are not guaranteed.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 pm

sailaway wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:32 am
Love the phrase "true executive." DH's last promotion made him technically an executive, which gave us a bump in certain benefits ( better dental, vision and charity matching). There is nothing executive about the title, he has no direct reports and they aren't required to get his next promotion, many people finish out their careers with this title. And no, RSUs + bonus are not equal to salary.
Yeah; what I mean is that I perceive titles are being given out like candy on halloween nowadays because of the entitlement culture we live in. There are tons of "head of X",associate Director, Director, General director, global director, assistant director, senior fellow, fellow, etc, etc, etc, etc, out there. In my experience the title means little to nothing about pay band. There are those who are in the executive pay band and those who are not in the executive pay band. And you can't tell them apart other than looking at the pay band or making very informed guesses (ie the head of the largest business unit probably is, while the smallest is not -- but even then). The former are "true" executives and get the LTI, and the latter do not.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:58 am
In tech org structures tend to be very flat. My employer has >5000 employees and as an IC with no reports, there are only 3 people between me and the CEO (my manager, the org's engineering director, CTO). Promotions within a functional career ladder don't change that.

At least on the product engineering side of the company, there are no positions more than 3-4 people away from the CEO on the org chart.
I can see that in Tech or project based companies since each group is semi-autonomous. I don't see that working in traditional companies with manufacturing and sales & marketing assets spread across the globe and requiring coordination. But who knows, now that COVID is pushing us to home offices.

In my current company, well into the 5 figures of employees, the structure is fairly flat for a F500, but there are still 5-9 managers between "new grad hire" and CEO, depending on area.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:36 pm

2tall4economy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 pm
sailaway wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:32 am
Yeah; what I mean is that I perceive titles are being given out like candy on halloween nowadays because of the entitlement culture we live in. There are tons of "head of X",associate Director, Director, General director, global director, assistant director, senior fellow, fellow, etc, etc, etc, etc, out there. In my experience the title means little to nothing about pay band. There are those who are in the executive pay band and those who are not in the executive pay band. And you can't tell them apart other than looking at the pay band or making very informed guesses (ie the head of the largest business unit probably is, while the smallest is not -- but even then). The former are "true" executives and get the LTI, and the latter do not.
Everyone says "entitlement culture these days," but I am part of three different organizations made up of mostly older baby boomers and up. They all put way too much effort into their stupid awards, some more than any other single activity. Want to know why I didn't nominate anyone for that award? Because no one met the criteria and I am not going to waste my time! And don't bother nominating me for anything, because I am not going to pay the banquet fee and then have to figure out what to do with the plaque.