Amended Tax Return Status Unavailable?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
beastykato

Amended Tax Return Status Unavailable?

Post by beastykato »

My tax guy messed up and I had to send in a couple amended returns for 2018 and 2019. I know the IRS is backed up so I’m not expecting to get my money anytime soon, but I am a little concerned.

I sent my returns tracked and they arrived early April at the IRS. So, it’s going on two months now and I don’t even have a received or processing status online. It says it normally takes 3 weeks, so we are at least double the normally allotted time and still nothing.

Should I be concerned by the delay?
jebmke

Re: Amended Tax Return Status Unavailable?

Post by jebmke »

They have not been processing paper returns for a few weeks now. The normal processing time for a paper return is 10-12 weeks. I think it is going to be a few months for them to catch up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Neither my 2019 1040 or the 1040-X I sent a month later have shown up on-line at the IRS. Both were sent certified mail and arrived fine. I think I sent the 1040 in mid-March.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
beastykato

Post by beastykato »

Ok. At least it’s not just me. I am fine with it taking a long time to get finished, but I wish they would at least say “Hey, we got it but it will be a while.” Lol
Flora

Post by Flora »

Unopened truckloads of mail sent to IRS:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics ... index.html
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

beastykato wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm Ok. At least it’s not just me. I am fine with it taking a long time to get finished, but I wish they would at least say “Hey, we got it but it will be a while.” Lol
There is no "they" there right now.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

beastykato wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm Ok. At least it’s not just me. I am fine with it taking a long time to get finished, but I wish they would at least say “Hey, we got it but it will be a while.” Lol
Your return may be sitting in the back of a trailer bed in a parking lot. The IRS has no idea whether they “got it”. I do think they could have been more transparent and direct about this but that might upset people more. There is, unfortunately, no good way to handle this.