Best credit card perks besides cash/points?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Looking4Answers

Best credit card perks besides cash/points?

Post by Looking4Answers » Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm

I generally use credit cards to get best cash rewards. In the past I did make selective purchases for specific charges such as AMEX for extended warranty, Citi Double Cash if I thought I might be able to use price rewind.

Now that so many cards have trimmed perks, what are your favorite perks (not cash or points) that would cause you to use a specific card?

EnjoyIt

Re: Best credit card perks besides cash/points?

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat May 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Maybe today not so much, But we have enjoyed the lounge access some credit cards provide at airports. If you travel even a few times a year, it may very well be worth it. When flying out of our home town, it is so much easier to just wake up and go to the airport and then enjoy some free food and drink before boarding a flight. Much less stressful than cooking, cleaning up after ourselves, and then leaving.

Another perk is the gold status at hotel chains. This allows us to a late check out or early checkin and sometimes even a room upgrade. This makes traveling a little easier as well.

Gold status at car rental agencies make things a little easier there as well.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Amex's concierge has helped me get reservations at Michelin-starred restaurants in Tokyo.

Their hotel program is also useful. Whenever I go to Vegas I book through Amex at a participating hotel on the Strip—which includes most of the good ones. Rates are usually the same or very close to booking direct, but you get breakfast for two each day, early checkin/late checkout, VIP checkin line access and usually another property-specific perk or two.

The lounge program is quite good. My (pre-covid) travels took me almost entirely to airports with Centurion lounges.

Of course none of this is relevant these days.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm

Citi Costco Visa still offers 2-years extended warranty.

Many AMEX cards offer shoprunner (free 2-day shipping lots of stores).

AMEX offers (other banks have these but AMEX deals are much better overall I find.)

Trip delay/interruption protection (class leading on Chase Sapphire Reserve, good on AMEX platinum and Chase Sapphire Preferred, okay on AMEX Gold and Green)

ballons

Post by ballons » Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Amex premium rental insurance. Less than $25 for 30-42 days of coverage, auto added when you rent, and most importantly covers trucks and cargo/passenger vans.

Amex offers.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm

I fly United (I know, I know) and their partners so I have the Chase United card. Free bags, priority boarding, lounge access etc. But my favorite perk is the car rental insurance coverage. It is primary insurance so if anything happens I would not have to involve my car insurance company.
We plan. G-d laughs.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 pm
AMEX offers (other banks have these but AMEX deals are much better overall I find.)
Yep. These have been surprisingly profitable for me.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat May 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Sort of high end Mastercards will get you into certain lounges free of charge. World elite if I recall correctly. I used that to get a companion in recently.

barnburner4444

Post by barnburner4444 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 pm

My Hilton AMEX gets my Priority Pass access. It also gets me Diamond Status with Hilton which also get me some perks including nicer rooms, free breakfast and executive lounge access. I have ate and drank many times over my annual fee between these two.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Looking4Answers wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm
I generally use credit cards to get best cash rewards. In the past I did make selective purchases for specific charges such as AMEX for extended warranty, Citi Double Cash if I thought I might be able to use price rewind.

Now that so many cards have trimmed perks, what are your favorite perks (not cash or points) that would cause you to use a specific card?
Price Rewind is dead, sadly. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-to- ... 22nd-2019/. Mostly travel perks I enjoy, although sadly not at this time:

Chase Sapphire Reserve:

Priority Pass, is especially useful internationally.
Primary Car Rental Collision Damage Waiver, I never buy rental insurance through the rental car companies
Travel Insurance, so I don't have to buy it through a separate company

A few hotel credit cards for status and a couple for the annual free night. Hyatt especially seems to go above and beyond for their elite members, even with the automatic Discoverist Status, the lowest tier, that comes with the Hyatt card. Free breakfast at Hiltons has been useful, too, with gold status. Some would value free checked bags for airline cards, I do not.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am

MishkaWorries wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm
It is primary insurance so if anything happens I would not have to involve my car insurance company.
I like that coverage, too, but just to be clear about the “if anything happens” part:

You’d still have to involve your personal insurance for liability as that is not covered by Chase. Only damage to the rental car is covered.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun May 24, 2020 11:08 am

I have a family member you tried to invoke the insurance regarding a canceled trip secondary to a medical issue. This has occurred almost 2 years ago and still no money back. I have a feeling these credit card insurances are worth very little.

FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am

I keep it simple aswell, happy with some cashback. However this site has some very useful information
https://thepointsguy.com/
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 am

barnburner4444 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 pm
My Hilton AMEX gets my Priority Pass access. It also gets me Diamond Status with Hilton which also get me some perks including nicer rooms, free breakfast and executive lounge access. I have ate and drank many times over my annual fee between these two.
I have the same card (Hilton Amex Aspire). Between June and August, Amex will apply the $250 resort credit toward any restaurant spending, which is pretty generous. Amex is also giving $10/mo on my Amex Green ($20/mo for Platinum) for payments to cell providers until the end of the year - not huge but better than nothing!

Amex Offers are also great. I've definitely saved hundreds on purchases I would've made anyway (e.g., 10% off at Lowe's, Best Buy, etc.) Some are almost absurdly generous (e.g., $55 rebate for making 3 payments of any amount to a cell provider - I paid $1x3 to Sprint and sure enough got $55 back).

Amex probably also has the best low-cost hotel status you can get with a credit card - the $95 Surpass card gets you Gold status. Makes it pointless to try to earn status the regular way. Gold generally gets you breakfast and often a room upgrade, at least outside the U.S.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm
The lounge program is quite good. My (pre-covid) travels took me almost entirely to airports with Centurion lounges.
Nobody goes to Centurion lounges anymore, they're too crowded. :happy

I haven't been to one in over a year, but while very good they go FAR too crowded. On a couple of visits (SFO and PHL), it was so crowded that it was standing room only, rather defeating the point!

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am

Free 2 day shipping with shoprunner if you have an Amex card.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 am

FrankTheViking wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am
However this site has some very useful information
I am not one to complain much about CC/Travel bloggers but TPG has really sold out (great for him and his company which has done very well but there is more bias there than a lot of other blogs since the company is paid large sums from some banks to promote their products). Doctor of Credit does not do referrals from banks and I find the site much useful with far less bias. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ . About all I use TPG for these days is their flight and hotel reviews.

FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking » Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am

THY4373 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 am
FrankTheViking wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am
However this site has some very useful information
I am not one to complain much about CC/Travel bloggers but TPG has really sold out (great for him and his company which has done very well but there is more bias there than a lot of other blogs since the company is paid large sums from some banks to promote their products). Doctor of Credit does not do referrals from banks and I find the site much useful with far less bias. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ . About all I use TPG for these days is their flight and hotel reviews.
Good to know, thank you.

Just had an after thought that's somewhat relevant.... might be late to the party but recently found out about cashback debit cards. Opened a free checking account with Discover Bank for mine, no fees or catches, 1% cash back. Do all our grocery shopping at WinCo Foods which doesn't accept credit so this will be an extra $5 or so in our pockets per month.... might not be worth it for some but it made me happier than it probably should of haha
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am
MishkaWorries wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm
It is primary insurance so if anything happens I would not have to involve my car insurance company.
I like that coverage, too, but just to be clear about the “if anything happens” part:

You’d still have to involve your personal insurance for liability as that is not covered by Chase. Only damage to the rental car is covered.
Yes. Loose language on my part. If I cause on accident I'll have to involve my car insurance.
We plan. G-d laughs.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Several airline cards will get you perks like earlier boarding, and first checked bagged free.
Many retailers offer cards that discount purchases (but I suppose that's equivalent to cash/points)...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham