Warning: Virginia State Inspection

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KlangFool

Warning: Virginia State Inspection

Post by KlangFool » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am

Folks,

Be very careful as to where you bring your older car for Virginia State Inspection. If the car mechanic rejects your car inspection and put in all kind of stuff that you need to fix, you have to fix it. You cannot bring your car to some other places and reinspect without fixing the problems. This seems like a new change in the rules.

Make sure that you bring in your older car to a car mechanic that you can trust for inspection.

KlangFool

Sandtrap

Re: Warning: Virginia State Inspection

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am
Folks,

Be very careful as to where you bring your older car for Virginia State Inspection. If the car mechanic rejects your car inspection and put in all kind of stuff that you need to fix, you have to fix it. You cannot bring your car to some other places and reinspect without fixing the problems. This seems like a new change in the rules.

Make sure that you bring in your older car to a car mechanic that you can trust for inspection.

KlangFool
Ouch!!!

Hawaii has also been trending this way. More inspections, more regulations, more permits and licenses, more fees.

Our regular family owned mechanic shop has been great and trusted.
j😬
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat May 23, 2020 10:29 am

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool
Have you had a bad experience with state inspection on an older car?

Thankfully, we're not burdened with that kind of government in our neck of the woods.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat May 23, 2020 10:35 am

Stinky wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:29 am
KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool

Thankfully, we're not burdened with that kind of government in our neck of the woods.
This just happened.

KlangFool

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sat May 23, 2020 10:47 am

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool

Virginia law specifies what must be inspected in a safety inspection and as to each inspected item, the Administrative Code provides detailed standards for approval or rejection. So I'm not sure how a vehicle that failed a safety inspection could be approved on a subsequent safety inspection unless some corrective action was taken to correct the failed areas. Can you elaborate on the situation?

The relevant section of Virginia Administrative Code (19VAC30-70-60) provides in paragraph B: "A vehicle rejected by one station may be reinspected by another station if the owner desires to have this done; however, that station shall perform a complete inspection of the vehicle." If the vehicle is taken to the same inspection station within fifteen days of the rejection, they are only required to inspect the rejected items and the fee is only $1.00. A different station would required to perform a full inspection.

Are you saying the subsequent inspection station is requiring some "evidence" that you had repairs performed?

Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore » Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 am

In my informal observations here in the northeast, if I see a complete $%!&-box of a car chugging along the interstate (belching blue smoke, missing headlights and/ or brakelights) it almost always has a plate from a state that REQUIRES annual inspections. How does such a disaster on wheels pass inspection? The only thing I can figure is that the driver "knows a guy who knows a guy". Or they are simply driving around with an expired sticker, and risk whatever consequences come of that.
It seems to me that annual inspections cost money, waste time, and ultimately don't catch the worst offenders. I would accept a counter-argument that perhaps lives have been saved by uncovering safety issues that clueless drivers can't discover on their own. I'm sure there is also a subset of the population that simply don't service their cars ever, and would otherwise never discover a ball joint that's about to fail, for example, if it were not for the annual inspection.
I think much of what reasonable people think of as "overregulation" are rules/ laws designed to "make" people honest. The unintended consequence seems to be that the people who would have acted in a responsible and honest manner anyway grumble, pay up, and act responsibly. Those who the rules/ laws are designed to "make" them act responsibly simply find a way around the rules/ laws.
In some ways, it's a decision on a state level to govern the populace as if everyone was the lowest common denominator.
Cheers

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:05 am

Seems like an inspection shop that was flagging borderline items hoping to up-charge for repairs would have a lot of online complaints.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:47 am
Virginia law specifies what must be inspected in a safety inspection and as to each inspected item, the Administrative Code provides detailed standards for approval or rejection. So I'm not sure how a vehicle that failed a safety inspection could be approved on a subsequent safety inspection unless some corrective action was taken to correct the failed areas. Can you elaborate on the situation?

The relevant section of Virginia Administrative Code (19VAC30-70-60) provides in paragraph B: "A vehicle rejected by one station may be reinspected by another station if the owner desires to have this done; however, that station shall perform a complete inspection of the vehicle." If the vehicle is taken to the same inspection station within fifteen days of the rejection, they are only required to inspect the rejected items and the fee is only $1.00. A different station would required to perform a full inspection.

Are you saying the subsequent inspection station is requiring some "evidence" that you had repairs performed?
I think the OP's complaint is that if one inspection station writes up an issue, you MUST have work done to correct it and you just can't go get a second opinion from another inspection station whose professional opinion might be that it is OK. If so, this would seem like a major loophole to allow dishonest inspection stations to force you to pay for unneeded repairs.

Imagine if you went to a doctor and he said you need XYZ surgery and based on that, you were required to have that XYZ surgery and weren't allowed to get a second opinion.

I once had my car at the dealership for recall work. They recommended several hundred dollars of other work. My regular shop saw no immediate need for any of it. Just like in medicine, it's worth getting a second opinion.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:41 pm

State inspection violations are currently not being enforced in VA. Just let it ride. They are a scam anyways.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 pm

lstone19 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 pm
I once had my car at the dealership for recall work. They recommended several hundred dollars of other work. My regular shop saw no immediate need for any of it. Just like in medicine, it's worth getting a second opinion.

I like the medicine analogy...

And sometimes doing nothing can lead to nothing or lead to catastrophic consequences...

(making no judgment for or against repair work or medicine.... but I'm glad that car repair insurance is not really a thing.... the closest we have are extended service contracts/warranties)

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool
That's not the way I read the manual:

19VAC30-70-60. Rejection stickers.

B. A vehicle rejected by one station may be reinspected by another station if the owner desires to have this done; however, that station shall perform a complete inspection of the vehicle.

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/ ... 02019).pdf

To call your regional VSP inspection team:

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Safety.shtm

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Man, you've had nothing but bad luck recently! :annoyed
I hope things turn around for you soon...
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat May 23, 2020 1:32 pm

I just got my VA safety and emissions inspection this morning. Thankfully, nothing was wrong.

The standards for inspection are supposed to be objective; there shouldn’t be room for opinion in it. But we all know places in VA that are “easier” to pass it. I don’t recommend those places, because I want my car to actually be safe.

I actually like the inspections. I like knowing that everybody else on the road has had their car inspected, and at some point in the last twelve months, it was safe. If not for the inspection, my car would probably never be examined by a mechanic.

What failed? Broken fog lamp? Old/worn tires?

When I do get a failure, I often take the car home and repair it myself, or take it someplace else for repair.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Stinky wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool

Yep definitely not burdened by state vehicle inspections in a few states. Instead that state has lots of cars on the road with cut out/nonworking catalytic converters, one of three brakes lights actually function, bald tires, bad brakes, severely cracked windshields, non working windshield wipers. Yea it’s a great situation when there are no vehicle inspections required. :oops: Obviously car inspections can go too far, but my experience in other states is that inspection are a very good thing for keeping dangerous or crazy high pollution vehicle off the roads, living in a place that does not inspect at all is terrible.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat May 23, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 pm

State inspection violations are currently not being enforced in VA. Just let it ride.

Could you explain? are you saying that expiration dates are not being enforced?

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I don't know anything about inspections in VA, but I've lived with them here in TX for a long time. There are a lot of places that nit-pick about items so that they can sell repairs. That's how they make their money. There are others that make their money by passing almost everything and going through lots of cars fast. Most smart people figure out which are which and adjust their shopping accordingly. If you want a real, quality inspection, you go to a good mechanic that does inspections as a small side business.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm

State inspection violations are currently not being enforced in VA. Just let it ride.

Police are currently not writing tickets for expired inspections... that will I assume change shortly

From Governor's executive directive 8

Suspend the enforcement of Motor Vehicle Safety Inspections (MVSI) required under§ 46.2-1157 of the Code of Virginia

from the state police website

Mike

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 pm

So, as with many laws, inspections of the vehicles of responsible citizens will net a few things to be fixed. All the while the scoffalaws will continue driving vehicles that probably on average will need more repairs.
Normchad wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:32 pm
I just got my VA safety and emissions inspection this morning. Thankfully, nothing was wrong.

The standards for inspection are supposed to be objective; there shouldn’t be room for opinion in it. But we all know places in VA that are “easier” to pass it. I don’t recommend those places, because I want my car to actually be safe.

I actually like the inspections. I like knowing that everybody else on the road has had their car inspected, and at some point in the last twelve months, it was safe. If not for the inspection, my car would probably never be examined by a mechanic.

What failed? Broken fog lamp? Old/worn tires?

When I do get a failure, I often take the car home and repair it myself, or take it someplace else for repair.
jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Stinky wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool

Yep definitely not burdened by state vehicle inspections in a few states. Instead that state has lots of cars on the road with cut out/nonworking catalytic converters, one of three brakes lights actually function, bald tires, bad brakes, severely cracked windshields, non working windshield wipers. Yea it’s a great situation when there are no vehicle inspections required. :oops: Obviously car inspections can go too far, but my experience in other states is that inspection are a very good thing for keeping dangerous or crazy high pollution vehicle off the roads, living in a place that does not inspect at all is terrible.
Well, maybe so, but it seems despite being terrible as a result of not having vehicle inspections, that knowledge just hasn't soured many people from pulling up stakes and heading to Florida. Help spread the word, will ya?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm

MarkBarb wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm
I don't know anything about inspections in VA, but I've lived with them here in TX for a long time. There are a lot of places that nit-pick about items so that they can sell repairs. That's how they make their money. There are others that make their money by passing almost everything and going through lots of cars fast. Most smart people figure out which are which and adjust their shopping accordingly. If you want a real, quality inspection, you go to a good mechanic that does inspections as a small side business.
In ST. Louis, I took my car in to my normal mechanic for a state inspection and I supposedly needed about $250 in repairs to a headlight that was slightly cracked but working fine.

I mentioned it to someone at work, he directed it to another shop, one that was "no fail" and I had the safety sticker.

I can see the state's interest in getting bad cars off of road but some of the things that these places are failing cars for have a minimal impact on safety.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 pm

fabdog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Police are currently not writing tickets for expired inspections... that will I assume change shortly

From Governor's executive directive 8

Suspend the enforcement of Motor Vehicle Safety Inspections (MVSI) required under§ 46.2-1157 of the Code of Virginia

from the state police website

Mike
Even though enforcement is suspended folks will eventually have to get it done, so I went ahead and had it done along with my oil change. Figured when it starts to be enforced, the stations will get very busy. VSP has advised inspection stations on changes so that the inspection can be done without the driver leaving the vehicle.

The Executive Directive expires July 31, 2020:

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media ... ID-19).pdf

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Sat May 23, 2020 7:25 pm

The idea behind inspections is good. The problems is there are just to many crooks around. I know two honest shops but most are not. If i was new to town they would be hard to find. So at the end of the day I have to say inspections are a scam because 90% of the shops will cheat you. I could not pass a law like that and sleep at night. Set up places that only do inspections no repair work.

illumination

Post by illumination » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 pm

My state has never had vehicle inspections and for some reason the street is not lined with dead bodies.

You should never allow someone to have regulatory power and combine that with a profit motive. It's just going to be abused.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 pm

illumination wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 pm
My state has never had vehicle inspections and for some reason the street is not lined with dead bodies.

You should never allow someone to have regulatory power and combine that with a profit motive. It's just going to be abused.
Well said.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 pm

I was an early responder on this thread, professing my support for the annual safety inspection in VA.

Since then, I’ve spent upwards of five minutes on the google looking for data to back me up. It’s hard to come by. If anybody has solid data supporting the efficacy of annual safety inspections, I’d be interested in seeing it.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 pm

RetiredNewbie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Stinky wrote:
We Virginians never have been either, until the last election. It all changed in one day. Be vigilant.
That's baloney. I spent the first 50 years of my life in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the auto inspection system was flawed throughout that period. Elections have had nothing to do with it. Keep your politics out of this forum.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 pm

So some people think its a great idea to get rid of auto inspections (designed to keep dangerous as well as polluting vehicles off the road) because of a few bad apples supposedly creating or claiming non existent defects in people's cars to increase repair revenue?

I lived in Texas for many years, many shops did state inspections and in 10 years with usually 3-4 cars - so at least 30 inspections, we never had a single issue with a questionable inspection nor did I hear of a single incident from friends and family.

I am sure there are bad actors out there but the solution is to report them and work to fix the inspection system rather than get rid of it.

The state we currently live in current requires no annual car inspections. I see junk cars out on the road every day, can't drive 10 minutes without seeing a car with 2 out of 3 brake lights not working or a windshield so badly cracked that it hard to believe it doesn't cave in. In addition buying a used car here is treacherous - unscrupulous sellers block out and defeat warning lights, and buyers never don't learn they have a car with the cat converters removed or with multiple check engine lights, which an annual inspection would uncover, until something serious goes wrong.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 pm
So some people think its a great idea to get rid of auto inspections (designed to keep dangerous as well as polluting vehicles off the road) because of a few bad apples supposedly creating or claiming non existent defects in people's cars to increase repair revenue?

I lived in Texas for many years, many shops did state inspections and in 10 years with usually 3-4 cars - so at least 30 inspections, we never had a single issue with a questionable inspection nor did I hear of a single incident from friends and family.

I am sure there are bad actors out there but the solution is to report them and work to fix the inspection system rather than get rid of it.

The state we currently live in current requires no annual car inspections. I see junk cars out on the road every day, can't drive 10 minutes without seeing a car with 2 out of 3 brake lights not working or a windshield so badly cracked that it hard to believe it doesn't cave in. In addition buying a used car here is treacherous - unscrupulous sellers block out and defeat warning lights, and buyers never don't learn they have a car with the cat converters removed or with multiple check engine lights, which an annual inspection would uncover, until something serious goes wrong.
I have also lived in states with and without inspections. I too would much prefer a state with a reasonable inspection requirement. The worst no inspection state was a northern state that made heavy use of salt in the winter. You would have to dodge rusted off car parts on the street on a regular basis.

Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht » Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 am

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool
Wow, that is worthy of a revolt. When I first moved to North Carolina, the first place I took my car wanted several thousand dollars worth of repairs. The next place said the car was fine and passed without any problems. My car passed every inspection after that for years, with none of the changes the first place had recommended. The first place turned out to be a scam repair shop.

That law is unacceptable.

actionable: Never take your car to a shop that is able to repair anything. Only take it to a place that is limited to changing your oil and air filters

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun May 24, 2020 2:17 am

I live in a state that has had an annual inspection requirement for decades now. It used to be a safety inspection. Tires, wipers, lights, tie rod ends, that sort of thing.

Then, for reasons that still mystify me (we’ve never had smog issues here), it transmogrified into a de-facto emissions test when they required a scan via the OBD-II port. The poor were the most impacted.

That was easily defeated by people unhooking then reconnecting the battery, and gradually folks figured out where to go for a safety inspection where they would find a way to “pass” an otherwise safe car.

Then came a publicized case of a fatal car accident where the vehicle had passed inspection the day prior, but suffered a catastrophic brake line failure due to corrosion, directly causing the collision. And that was the year car inspections became truly onerous.

All mechanics who wanted to continue doing them had to buy expensive software, upload OBD-II data to a database, take photos of their mechanical inspections, etc. Any car that failed was tagged in the system and couldn’t pass anywhere else without mechanical work. It wasn’t long before you needed to have a significant clean OBD-II history to pass, as verified by the state mandated software. It has become a gold mine for scam mechanics.

Car mechanics have now become like speak-easies...
“I’m not saying I want a state inspection, but could you... have a look at my car and let me know if there are any... issues that will need to be addressed... prior to my next inspection?”

In my mind, the best way to avoid tragedies on the road would be to force auto mechanics to be bonded against liability arising from missed mechanical issues. And the best way to discourage scammers would be to mandate that you do not pay for the state inspection unless your car passes. I used to take my car to a shop that did this as a matter of policy. If it was brakes I would do them myself. If it was an exhaust issue, I would take it to a trusted local muffler shop. Otherwise I would have them do the work. With the onerous software, they can no longer afford to do that.

The new legislation didn’t make our roads any safer, but has made it even harder / more expensive to live here.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Sun May 24, 2020 4:26 am

I remember Virginia inspections when I lived there in the mid 80s. I think I was nailed once on a E-Brake, too many clicks, like 6 clicks instead of 5, to lock the rear brakes. I don't know if they still do that, but it's a ridiculous money making play on those inspections, IMHO.

Anyways, I'm going to add state mechanical/emission inspections as a pro/con to whatever state we choose retire to in, as I live in a state now which has none, and it's quite nice, and there aren't unsafe and smoking cars on the road that I can see. Also, going to the motor vehicles department is a pleasant experience, no lines, no hassle ever (I don't live in CA or VA, obviously). :D

whomever

Post by whomever » Sun May 24, 2020 5:41 am

There sure doesn't seem like there is much of a relationship between required annual safety inspections and fatality rates. I looked at the 2012 numbers here:

https://data.cdc.gov/Motor-Vehicle/Moto ... /rqg5-mkef

for some selected states:

MA 2.9 Yes
WA 3.9 No
CT 4.1 No
VA 5.8 Yes
MT 16.4 Yes
WY 17.5 No

Having lived in both kinds of states, my sense is that people who have only lived in states that require them feel they are essential to safety, and people who have lived in states that don't require them think they are unnecessary. It is similar to the two states (OR and I think NJ) that mostly don't allow people to pump their own gas on safety grounds - people in the other 48 states are pretty sure self serve gas isn't a large safety issue, but at least some people from those states feel strongly that self serve gas is a major hazard (OR, btw, just relaxed its requirement for rural counties).

----------------
"I think I was nailed once on a E-Brake, too many clicks, like 6 clicks instead of 5, to lock the rear brakes."

I had one once in MD, nearly new car, and I checked all the items against the factory manual before going. The mechanic insisted the e-brake was out of spec, and wasn't interested in looking at the factory manual I offered. I had to pay to have him adjust it. It was so tight that when you put the clutch pedal down the car would stop on it's own - and I don't mean a gradual slowdown either. I had to pull over just down the road and crawl under the car with a wrench and put it back to the factory spec. So in my case the safety inspection made the car dangerously unsafe (if you drive a car like that, you run the risk of the brakes overheating and/or getting so hot the bearings fail and you lose a wheel).

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Sun May 24, 2020 6:06 am

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool
What type of repairs were they suggesting?

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Stinky wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool

I have lived in both types of states honestly do not see a difference. Pa used to inspect twice/year now once a year are their vehicles now 2 times more dangerous?

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 am

This just underscores the need to find a mechanic you can trust, for all needs, not just state inspections.

Mine just retired during the pandemic shutdown. Once did state inspection at a dealer, they passed but indicated need new brakes soon, brought immediately to my guy, who said they are fine. Last couple of years I used to think at each visit how I dread the idea he will retire sometime (FIRE for me is good, not for my trusted mechanic :-) He sent a txt message to all customers thanking us for our business to announce his retirement, class act. Fortunately he left another local mechanic recommendation. Without that I’d be fearful of next inspection and most other visits. Almost every large business I have tried (dealers, local Goodyear service center) always try to upsell. My now retired mechanic of 20 years was so busy, didn’t need to create make-work.

destinationnc

Post by destinationnc » Sun May 24, 2020 6:53 am

Stinky wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 pm
illumination wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Well said.
I did not know this inspection was a thing. Scarily enough I've driven my uninspected vehicle from another state hundreds of miles in Virginia. Was that legal?

mslaw

Post by mslaw » Sun May 24, 2020 7:14 am

KlangFool wrote:
Folks,

KlangFool
Not sure if this helps, but we own an older car In Virginia that very few inspection stations could repair. If there is a problem with the inspection, the shop places a paper tag on the car. I have a specified number of days to have the car repaired and obtain a new inspection.

Depending on the time and situation I have sometimes returned to the original inspection location, but not always. I have even gone beyond the number of days, because life is busy.

If this is a change, it will make owning such a car very difficult.

The joys of a classy, older vehicle!

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 am

Our state used to have inspections, but discovered that they didn't have any benefit, so they scrapped the law.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed into a rant). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
I also removed several off-topic political posts regarding VA's last election.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.