Something Fishy Here?? [CARES payment received via prepaid Visa]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bfeenix44

Re: Something Fishy Here?? [CARES payment received via prepaid Visa]

Post by bfeenix44 »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 am
cheese_breath wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm
bfeenix44 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Grady wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm ... I finalized my account as directed on www.epicard.com and directed it to transfer the full amount of the stimulus funds to one of my bank accounts. When I directed the account to transfer the total amount it failed and stated that the amount was not allowed. The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
I tried this, as well, and transactions were confirmed on their end. I'll check w/ my bank Tues to confirm there, but seems you have to bide by $1,000 per transfer amount.

Thanks, Grady!!
It worked for me too. Two transactions under $1,000 each.
Grady and bfeenix44 ... Have your transfers showed up in your bank accounts yet? How many business days did it take?
I was actually doing this for my folks, so still have to call the bank to confirm.
livesoft

Re: Something Fishy Here??

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:44 pm
Constellation wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:48 pm
BogleFanGal wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 amAnyone get a card with the wrong last name? My last name is diff than my spouse's - but we've filed the last 20 years of tax returns using both our full names - never been an issue before.
I'm in the same boat; does anyone have updates on the best way to move forward?
A card was sent to our address with "Spouse_FIrst_Name My_Last_Name" which is someone who does not exist. My spouse just activated the card online and made two $1,000 ACH transactions yesterday which have not appeared yet into our checking account.
And the money is in our checking account this morning, so less than 36 hours after the ACH requests were made.

Conclusion: It just doesn't matter what name is on the debit card.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Just checked my CU, and the money is in my account this morning (Thursday). Requested the transfer Saturday, and Monday was Memorial Day. So that leaves two business days to do it. OK in my book.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

I’d wager the Nigerian scammers are having a field day with this, since they don’t even need a bank account to launder. Get the IRS refund, go buy some gift cards, call it a day.

If what was posted above is true (cards were sent to people without banking information on file) I would be curious as to why so many folks in this thread didn’t have their banking information on file with the IRS?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Strayshot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 amIf what was posted above is true (cards were sent to people without banking information on file) I would be curious as to why so many folks in this thread didn’t have their banking information on file with the IRS?
One doesn't have to give the IRS any banking information in their lifetime, so I do not understand why you think the IRS should have one's banking information. In the USA, many people do not have any accounts at a bank or credit union. More than 40% of US families do not even pay any federal income tax.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Strayshot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am I’d wager the Nigerian scammers are having a field day with this, since they don’t even need a bank account to launder. Get the IRS refund, go buy some gift cards, call it a day.
How do they "Get the IRS refund"?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am
Strayshot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 amIf what was posted above is true (cards were sent to people without banking information on file) I would be curious as to why so many folks in this thread didn’t have their banking information on file with the IRS?
One doesn't have to give the IRS any banking information in their lifetime, so I do not understand why you think the IRS should have one's banking information. In the USA, many people do not have any accounts at a bank or credit union. More than 40% of US families do not even pay any federal income tax.
They might have account information for me, but it would be three years old. I neither owed anything nor received a refund in 2018 or 2019. In addition I moved to another state in 2018. I don't think it's a good idea transferring money based on three year old account information.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 am
cheese_breath wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm
bfeenix44 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm
Grady wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm ... I finalized my account as directed on www.epicard.com and directed it to transfer the full amount of the stimulus funds to one of my bank accounts. When I directed the account to transfer the total amount it failed and stated that the amount was not allowed. The piece of printed mail included information as well as the online info about a $1000 limit when using the debit card. So, I tried again using $1000 and it worked leaving a balance of the remainder. I immediately did another transfer for that balance which was less than $1000 and it worked. I was left with a correct balance of $0.00.
I tried this, as well, and transactions were confirmed on
their end. I'll check w/ my bank Tues to confirm there, but seems you have to bide by $1,000 per transfer amount.

Thanks, Grady!!
It worked for me too. Two transactions under $1,000 each.
Grady and bfeenix44 ... Have your transfers showed up in your bank accounts yet? How many business days did it take?
I did my folks' card-to-checking account transaction online... two transactions of $1000 each and one of the remaining amount, and all were in account within 48 hours.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Strayshot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am I’d wager the Nigerian scammers are having a field day with this, since they don’t even need a bank account to launder. Get the IRS refund, go buy some gift cards, call it a day.

If what was posted above is true (cards were sent to people without banking information on file) I would be curious as to why so many folks in this thread didn’t have their banking information on file with the IRS?
I've never desired the IRS to have my bank account information. When I owe I pay with a check, when I am owed I request a check. I don't want that entity messing around in my accounts.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

There are already items in the paper warning people not to throw away their junk mail. I see disaster lurking.

I realize there is a horns-of-the-dilemma situation there--you wouldn't want the IRS to send out sparkly envelopes saying "$$$ CARE$ debit card enclo$ed!" But why didn't they publicize the changeover to debit cards much more vigorously than they have?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

nisiprius wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm There are already items in the paper warning people not to throw away their junk mail. I see disaster lurking.

I realize there is a horns-of-the-dilemma situation there--you wouldn't want the IRS to send out sparkly envelopes saying "$$$ CARE$ debit card enclo$ed!" But why didn't they publicize the changeover to debit cards much more vigorously than they have?
I almost thought it was junk mail... Maybe they didn't want to call more attention to it than necessary, but I have also been wondering just how much of that money won't get utilized because it ends up in the garbage, or people end up losing the cards before they're empty.

I'm also assuming it's another "account" that needs to remain open in case there's anything else they might need to do with it in the future...
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

nisiprius wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 pm There are already items in the paper warning people not to throw away their junk mail. I see disaster lurking.

When I saw this weird card with a bank I've never heard of and the wrong name on the card, mine was about to be pitched in the trash can...so thankful I thought better of it at the last min and figured what the heck...I'll google and also check here. (Even all the "free cruise" vacation travel club appeals and timeshare crap always had our name spelled correctly!)
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Yep, here we go.

I wonder if this explains why the local cops caught some people a couple of days ago "fishing" for mail in USPS mailboxes? Is that what they were fishing for? Apparently you create a PIN when you activate the card but I don't see anything on that page indicating any kind of authentication at all. If someone else gets your card before you activate it, does anything stop them from activating it and using it themselves?

Michelle Singletary, whom I consider to be reliable, says:People are mistaking stimulus payments for junk mail or a scam
...communication has been confusing and conflicting... Eric Green and his wife, who live in Arlington, Va., received a card in the mail last week. But they like so many others thought it was a con because they had expected their stimulus payment would be direct deposited into the same bank account where they received their recent federal refund.
This is happening in the wake of publicity alerting people to COVID-19 scams. (In fact, our own local town police department thought it was important enough to put out a warning on their Facebook site). One kind of scam is
2. Expedited stimulus checks... You may receive authentic-sounding email offers and phone calls to expedite payment or even increase the amount on your check.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

nisiprius wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:01 am Yep, here we go.

I wonder if this explains why the local cops caught some people a couple of days ago "fishing" for mail in USPS mailboxes? Is that what they were fishing for? Apparently you create a PIN when you activate the card but I don't see anything on that page indicating any kind of authentication at all. If someone else gets your card before you activate it, does anything stop them from activating it and using it themselves?

How do I activate my EIP Card?

Call 1.800.240.8100 (TTY: 1.800.241.9100). During activation, you will be asked to validate your identity by providing, at minimum, your name, address, and last 6-digits of your social security number. You will also be asked to create a 4-digit PIN required for ATM transactions and automated assistance and to hear your balance. For your Account security, do not use personal information as your PIN. For Cards with more than one name, only the primary Cardholder (listed first on the Card) may activate the Card.

https://www.eipcard.com/faq
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am
I have always included banking information when I file my taxes, whether to receive a refund deposit or to pay what I owe. Are others mailing and receiving checks?

I would not assume the Bogleheads community looks at all like the broad US population, hence the nature of my question.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:41 am
Sorry by refund I meant stimulus debit card. It would seem that any scammer who was able to file a fraudulent or ID stolen return (a stolen identity, a dead person, etc in 2018 or 2019) would receive a debit card as an additional gift.

I guess the thing I am questioning is that sending debit cards seems even less secure than checks, since there is no bank account required as an intermediary. Then again, if someone crashes a check at western union or moneygram or similar establishment maybe there is no bank needed anyways.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Strayshot wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:26 am
cheese_breath wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:41 am
Sorry by refund I meant stimulus debit card. It would seem that any scammer who was able to file a fraudulent or ID stolen return (a stolen identity, a dead person, etc in 2018 or 2019) would receive a debit card as an additional gift.

I guess the thing I am questioning is that sending debit cards seems even less secure than checks, since there is no bank account required as an intermediary. Then again, if someone crashes a check at western union or moneygram or similar establishment maybe there is no bank needed anyways.
OK, I understand now.