Any easy way to check accuracy of Amazon credit card bill?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tc101

Any easy way to check accuracy of Amazon credit card bill?

Post by tc101 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:28 am

I have an amazon credit card that I only use for amazon purchases. If I order 20 items on an amazon fresh grocery order, the price for each item is listed separately on the credit card statement. Same thing for regular orders, most of the time, but not always.

This makes it very hard to see if all the charges on the bill are accurate. Someone could be entering a $2.15 extra charge every month and I would never notice it.

How do you check the accuracy of your Amazon credit card bill?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Gryphon

Re: Any easy way to check accuracy of Amazon credit card bill?

Post by Gryphon » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Hypothetically the same thing could be happening at your local grocery store - they could stick a phantom charge onto your receipt for something you didn't buy. You'd have to scrutinize your receipt to make sure everything matched up with what's in your bags. I only check the receipt if the total is unusual for some reason. If they just stuck an extra couple bucks on there I'd probably never notice.

If you're worried about someone modifying the transaction in some way - giving you a receipt for X dollars and charging you X+2 dollars, I manually enter my receipts in Quicken & reconcile against the statement each month. Anything that doesn't match up gets scrutinized. I'm not real good about shredding my receipts (I throw them in a box that gets taken to a bulk shredding event a couple times a year) so I usually can find them again if I need to compare.

I also have alerts set up so I get an IM each time a charge is made. I've caught fraudulent transactions a couple times that way.
Last edited by Gryphon on Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dfgdfg

Post by Dfgdfg » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

I’ve had Amazon Marketplace fraud. It’s always a bunch of under $20 charges. My CC company said this is common now, making the fraud small so it is missed on the bill.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 pm

tc101 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:28 am
I have an amazon credit card that I only use for amazon purchases. If I order 20 items on an amazon fresh grocery order, the price for each item is listed separately on the credit card statement. Same thing for regular orders, most of the time, but not always.

This makes it very hard to see if all the charges on the bill are accurate. Someone could be entering a $2.15 extra charge every month and I would never notice it.

How do you check the accuracy of your Amazon credit card bill?
I'm a bit confused - do you mean when the charges are not broken out by each item, it makes it hard to check? Most credit cards do not break out the individual charges because they don't (for the most part) that that kind of detailed data from the merchant. (Your Amazon card seems to be an exception, because of the co-brand relationship.) So if I buy bananas for $1 and apples for $2 from a store, I only see the total $3 charge on my credit card. It's up to me (if I want to) to verify that the totals match. I have never seen a discrepancy between the merchant and the credit card (issues are almost always with the merchant, and for that you need to check the store receipt or in your case the email confirmation of your order, not the credit card bill.)

Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Dfgdfg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm
I’ve had Amazon Marketplace fraud. It’s always a bunch of under $20 charges. My CC company said this is common now, making the fraud small so it is missed on the bill.
Are you saying that Amazon is adding additional unauthorized charges to credit card purchases? In other words, when the check out page says you will be charged $29.99 for a pink lawn flamingo (after tax/shipping, discounts, gift cards, etc are applied), the credit card bill will show a different charge? We've never encountered anything like this from Amazon or any other on-line retailer, and I'd consider it egregious. It shouldn't matter that the seller is Amazon Marketplace rather than Amazon itself - Amazon is handling the credit card transaction, not Kitsch-R-Us. What did Amazon do when you complained?

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Are you saying that Amazon is adding additional unauthorized charges to credit card purchases?
No. I am talking about some criminal organization adding a phony charge that looks like it is from Amazon.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Would credit card notifications address this? Every time a charge posts to my card I receive a text message. With Amazon and most venders the text is immediate. So it’s a piece of cake to identify fraudulent activity.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Fri May 22, 2020 10:26 pm

You can download a detailed item-level spreadsheet of your Amazon purchases to check.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports/

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm

I had several under $20 Uber transactions on my CC last month. I called and got the cc no. Cancelled - the scammer tried to use the same CC for a few days after cancellation too.
Easy for me to spot since I don’t use Uber...
but if the same thing we’re going on with amzn purchases I wouldn’t know...

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 am

rolandtorres wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:26 pm
You can download a detailed item-level spreadsheet of your Amazon purchases to check.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports/
How did you find that? When I look at Amazon I cannot find a link to that page.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet