Real Estate/trust

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
SDboy

Real Estate/trust

Post by SDboy »

Hello All,

My main question is what resources and/or methods can I use to find the contact information of the trustee of a trust?

Background story:
Nearby is essentially an uninhabitable home in a nice neighborhood with San Diego. It is visibly infested with rodents and who knows what else. I am interested in speaking with the owner to initiate a conversation of whether they would be willing to sell it to me. My intentions are to gut it, fix it and either sell/rent it. There is also a vehicle in the driveway with registration from 2017 as well giving the impression there may be no family members.

From the county records and tax assessor records, the house was moved from previous owner, xyz, to the xyz trust in 2017. There is no other contact information that I can locate in county records or tax bills. The property taxes are being paid on time from the trust as reflected on the tax records. I was able to locate an additional condo xyz purchased down the block in 2007. I have sent letters to each address asking if they have any contact information with the former owners trustee. I am currently waiting a reply.

Do any of you have a recommendations of how else I could attempt to contact the trustee?

Thank you all!
BillyK

Re: Real Estate/trust

Post by BillyK »

Have you looked at the actual vesting deed? There is often an after recording return to address which is usually either the grantee's or the title company if they used one. I am sure you have likely already done one, but if not a simple Google search in both the name of the grantor and grantee on the deed is worth a try. An online service with a national data base such Courthouse Direct might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, I know all too well from experience, parties involved with a trust can often be a royal pain to track down which is often their point. Good luck.
not4me

Post by not4me »

My reply won't be as targeted as your main question, but rather your broader issue. I'd approach in a variety of ways, including what you've already done. From experience, I know that as a landowner it is not unusual to get unsolicited mail wanting to buy property. These are usually a waste of time from owners view. As other poster pointed out, they may not want to be found. But even if found, they may not read your letter -- depending upon its "presentation". Quite possible there are co-trustees that can't agree on how to proceed with your letter and/or entire situation.

A plausible scenario is that xyz died in 2017 & trust created. So, see if there is an online obituary for xyz. That may turn up names of people you can find, funeral home that may help, etc. Probate records may have executor name.

But, I'd also approach from other angles. The neighboring property owners might well be eager to help you to extent they can. They may know a relative, etc or spot occasional visitor that could speak to. One of them may have had a 'next of kin' contact from past.

I'd also check with local zoning board to see where they stand. If they've initiated proceedings, it might help your negotiation & at least show your level of interest.

Good luck
Topic Author
SDboy

Post by SDboy »

Thank you all for the replying! You have provided me with further avenues to proceed. I actually came across the property through the local city complaint app regarding the rodent infestation, so there may be actions against the property to work in my favor if I am able to locate a trustee. :)