Fraud charges on Netflix using Bofa Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mystiq

Fraud charges on Netflix using Bofa Card

Post by mystiq »

Hi All,

Someone has been using my Bofa card for their Netflix account. This has been going on for last 4 months and I did not notice. This month when I noticed, I contacted Netflix. They issued credit only for this month asking me to contact Bofa for last three months. When I contacted Bofa they put fraud claim and investigated and denied claim saying someone authorized person used this card. Now no one apart from my wife is authorized to use this card and no one should use this. When I called Netflix first time they clearly indicated that these are fraud charges but now are not providing any info about this account to help in settling the claim with Bofa. I already escalated this to Bofa 2 times, in total all three investigations were denied. In total its around $100 but the thing is these are not my charges so how can I get more info on this to settle this ? Any other means/mechanism exist to help here?

Thanks!
cherijoh

Re: Fraud charges on Netflix using Bofa Card

Post by cherijoh »

mystiq wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:58 pm Hi All,

Someone has been using my Bofa card for their Netflix account. This has been going on for last 4 months and I did not notice. This month when I noticed, I contacted Netflix. They issued credit only for this month asking me to contact Bofa for last three months. When I contacted Bofa they put fraud claim and investigated and denied claim saying someone authorized person used this card. Now no one apart from my wife is authorized to use this card and no one should use this. When I called Netflix first time they clearly indicated that these are fraud charges but now are not providing any info about this account to help in settling the claim with Bofa. I already escalated this to Bofa 2 times, in total all three investigations were denied. In total its around $100 but the thing is these are not my charges so how can I get more info on this to settle this ? Any other means/mechanism exist to help here?

Thanks!
The window to make fraud claims is generally 60 days, so I'm not sure you have recourse for earlier months. Have you requested a new credit card?
Topic Author
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Yes I did ask for new card and Netflix on their side closed the card as payment method as well.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I am not sure if that would help, but you may try to file a claim with FTC https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/? ... t&panel1-1

Another approach is to use social media (Facebook, Twitter..etc) to ask BoA for a refund. Public posts get different attention sometimes.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

Hi All,

Thanks all for posting replies. The issues is happily resolved. There was a technicality in raising the claim. It should have been raised as billing dispute and NOT fraud. Since I still have active Netflix account, Bofa fraud team rejected the claim three times citing that I am authorised user at the merchant. Fortunately when I called 4th time the rep told me that it should be a billing dispute. When she raised this as billing dispute for all transactions one by one, all got settled and got permanent credit. So am posting this again to help others. In case you are active Netflix subscriber, then it makes sense to raise as fraudulent charges on credit card as billing dispute and NOT as fraud. Thanks once again to the wonderful forum!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

That's very interesting, thank you very much.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mystiq wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 am Hi All,

Thanks all for posting replies. The issues is happily resolved. There was a technicality in raising the claim. It should have been raised as billing dispute and NOT fraud. Since I still have active Netflix account, Bofa fraud team rejected the claim three times citing that I am authorised user at the merchant. Fortunately when I called 4th time the rep told me that it should be a billing dispute. When she raised this as billing dispute for all transactions one by one, all got settled and got permanent credit. So am posting this again to help others. In case you are active Netflix subscriber, then it makes sense to raise as fraudulent charges on credit card as billing dispute and NOT as fraud. Thanks once again to the wonderful forum!
Thanks, that is some very useful information!
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

That's just stupid on BofA's part since what they're essentially saying is if a card is fraudulently used at a merchant where you've also legitimately used the card, it's a billing dispute, not fraud.

Too big to fail? How about too stupid not to fail!
Topic Author
mystiq

Post by mystiq »

lstone19 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:53 am That's just stupid on BofA's part since what they're essentially saying is if a card is fraudulently used at a merchant where you've also legitimately used the card, it's a billing dispute, not fraud.

Too big to fail? How about too stupid not to fail!
I too understand this but what the rep told me that there are people who use the streaming / subscription service for months and then cancel and few months later call Bofa saying that this was a fraudulent charge. So most of times fraud investigation just checks the relationship with merchant and if it is genuine which in my case was there they don't dig much deeper! This was shocking for me as well but she said billing dispute goes for individual charge and investigation is bit differently, which I too did not believe at the time. I thought that this too would be denied, but she was right and all got settled. The call to rep was rough in first 2 minutes since she thought that why I am calling fraud when I am an active subscriber, but she did apologize a lot once she understood my case and was very helpful!
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

To counter issues like this and others, I suggest two practices for all of us.

First, monitor every open account regularly no matter how often/little you use it. We usually use 4 credit cards and have other accounts for travel or other purposes, but I review all open credit card accounts weekly. Bank accounts also, maybe a bit less often. If an account is open, it's vulnerable and it's on the owner to keep an eye on it. Text/email activity alerts are good too but they may not catch small "test" charges by bad actors if your card's lower limit is more than zero. And they don't always work: I noticed an unauthorized charge for $95 on a Chase CSP card. Chase decided it was fraudulent, and issued a new card without my asking. After I reported it, I realized I had never received the usual text alert on my phone for this charge. No idea how that happened - checked my phone text msgs to make sure I hadn't just missed the alert.

Second, think of any charge you can't recognize/verify as "unauthorized" - not "fraudulent." Calling out an unrecognized charge as fraud makes an assumption that most of us probably couldn't prove anyway. More important to a favorable resolution, OP's experience shows that a report of fraud activates a part of the cc company's back office that may not be the right one to handle the case.