Hacked ID and credit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
novemberrain

Hacked ID and credit card

Post by novemberrain » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I was recently affected by credit card hack. Someone rented a car in my name !!! They apparently hacked both my credit card number and my address. Then they rented a car with Avis in a different name with my address; in a different state 2000 miles away. I guess they created both a hacked credit card as well as some sort of ID with my home address (I called up Avis and they said someone with a different name, but my home address rented the vehicle).

I am thinking of getting a USPS mailbox and change all my credit card addresses there. That way at least if someone creates a fake ID in my address in the future, I can easily change my PO Box number and not worry about it.

What do you guys think about a US PS PO Box for this purpose ?

PS. I did get all the Avis charges refunded. But I feel queasy knowing that someone is walking around with an fake ID with my home address.
I am also a paranoid person. I have freezes in all 3 credit reporting agencies before this incident. Also there is very little to no public information about me with the data brokers (mylife etc)
Last edited by novemberrain on Sat May 16, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IMO

Re: Hacked ID and credit card

Post by IMO » Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 pm

I'm a little confused. The fake ID does or doesn't have your name? I understand it's your address on the ID. Everytime I rent a car, I have to show my driver's license and the name has to match my credit card. I could possibly see it not matching if they did a prepaid rental which I know some places like Budget does.

The ID must be a driver's license, no? So it's either a complete fake driver's license, or it's a real state driver's license with your address. Unfortunately, even if it's a real driver's license and one could go the DMV for the state and look up the person who has used your address. No one cares besides you, not the DMV, the rental agency, the police, nor your credit card company.

But I'd go ahead and do all the things one does with any ID theft, like freezing credit, etc

In one sense, changing your billing address can help? It seems to be one of the things one needs online to use someone's credit card. What is always bothersome on on-line credit fraud is how they got your 3 digit code on your credit card? But then again, once I give it to one merchant on-line I guess it's now out there in the open? I think it's a good idea to black out the 3 digit code whenever you give your credit card to someone like a waiter who can simply take a quick picture of your card front and back.

Think about the concern it is with fake ID's. One can simply go to the bank in person and request a withdrawal, "I forgot my account number" but I have 2 ID's.

Best of luck.

yohac

Post by yohac » Sat May 16, 2020 9:04 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 pm
I am thinking of getting a USPS mailbox and change all my credit card addresses there. That way at least if someone creates a fake ID in my address in the future, I can easily change my PO Box number and not worry about it.

What do you guys think about a US PS PO Box for this purpose ?
Credit card companies require a physical address on file. After the account is established, some will let you set a PO box as your mailing address. But even if you can do this, I'm not sure that would have protected you in this situation.

Topic Author
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 am

IMO wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 pm
I'm a little confused. The fake ID does or doesn't have your name?
Best of luck.
Thanks Yes, thankfully, they created a new name at least for the fake ID. It was a strange name , but with my address (when I called Avis). So basically someone hacked my credit card number and mailing address when I used my card on some website. Then they created a fake credit card as well as a new name fake ID.